Note to Obama – Guns are good for business

May 22, 2008

KANSAS CITY, Mo., May 22 – A Missouri car dealer has a message for Democratic presidential frontrunner Barack Obama: Midwesterners love their guns.

Mark Muller, the owner of Max Motors in Butler, Missouri south of Kansas City, on Thursday said sales have soared at his auto and truck business since launching a promotion this week that promises buyers a $250 credit for a handgun or a $250 gas card with every purchase.

rtx5yyz.jpgEvery buyer so far “except one guy from Canada and one old guy” has elected to take the gun, Muller said in an interview with Reuters. He recommends his customers select a Kel-Tec .380 pistol.

“It’s a nice little handgun that fits in your pocket,” he said.

Muller said he came up with the promotion after stewing over comments made last month by Obama at a fundraiser for his presidential campaign in San Francisco. The Illinois senator, who narrowly defeated Democratic rival Sen. Hillary Clinton in Missouri’s primary, said that small-town Americans bitter over hard economic times sometimes “cling to guns and religion.”

“We did it because of Barack Obama. He said all those people in the Midwest, you’ve got to have compassion for them because they’re clinging to their guns and their Bibles. I found that quite offensive,” said Muller.

markmuller.JPG“We all go to church on Sunday and we all carry guns,” Muller said in the interview. “I’ve got a gun in my pocket right now. I have a rifle in my truck. We’ve got to shoot the coyotes out here, they’re attacking our cows, our chickens. We’re not clinging to nothing. We’re just damn glad to live in a free country where you can have a gun if you want. This is the way it ought to be.”

Muller said the dealership, which has as its logo a grimacing cowboy wielding a pistol, has sold more than 30 cars and trucks in the last three days, far more than its normal volume. Phone calls and inquiries on car purchases from people around the country have poured in, Muller said.

He’s also had six protesters show up outside his business.

Click here for more Reuters 2008 campaign coverage

- Photo credit: Reuters/John Gress (Obama speaks to supporters in Iowa); Max Motors (Mark Muller)

You are absolutely right Mr. Muller. Obama’s remarks were offensive, and a man with that kind of attitude toward the people that make up the soul of this country, should not be president.

Posted by Jack | Report as abusive

If this guy wasn’t self-promoting and profiting from this issue, I might find his “quite offensive” remark meaningful.

If he votes republican, he’ll be shooting himself in the foot…symbolically, of course.

As to poster “Jack’s” comments about who makes up the “soul of this country”. I disagree.

The collective soul of this country resides in Our Best & Finest, regardless of economic and social class…who daily sacrifice their lives or limbs, sight, hearing and mental & physical health for all Americans, including politicians and car & truck salesmen.

Insofar as the basic post of this web log is concerned…while I don’t find it offensive, I do find it silly.

Jack

Posted by Jack | Report as abusive

Lol.. a free country…

Hmm… not sure I would want to live in a country where carrying guns is a symbol of their freedom. This only increases the likelihood that a crime can become violent or even fatal. The more people who carry guns the more they will be used.

I do find all of this rubbish about living in a free country farcical. Ok so repression is not as blatant as it is in other countries but go ask that homeless guy on the street how he feels. Or how about some of the other parts of society that are discriminated against? See how people of different ethnicities, homosexuals and poor people feel. In fact when I lived in the States I was discriminated against because I do not believe in God. Isn’t that my choice? If I am wrong then I may go to whatever hell there may be. But I live a good, honest life. I don’t break the law and I respect those around me. If there is a God and he chooses to send me to hell after living my life as a good person then that is not the kind of God I want to worship. Anyway, rather than get into some huge debate about that my point is that I was discriminated against.

Ok I live in the UK and things aren’t perfect here. I am proud to be British but I don’t go around saying that our country is free because it incites violent crime. I don’t know anybody with a gun and nor do I want to. Knife crime is on the rise here amongst teenagers. We need to get knives off the street. There is a lot more to it than that and it is easier said than done. But it is not being swept under the carpet. I don’t feel as though we are celebrating the fact that you can carry a knife with you.. woohoo.. look at how free we are.. we have had so many teenagers die at the hands of deadly weapons.. just goes to show how free we are! Let us put our hands on our hearts, sing along to that nice tune of the Star Spangled Banner.. being careful to keep that other hand wrapped around that nice revolver in our pockets which that lovely man gave us when we picked up our new car this morning.

Posted by Kate | Report as abusive

“”There may be more on the way because Muller said his next promotion is going to be a King James Bible for any car-buying Muslim.”"

They (me, you, I, we) don’t make words for such ones ~

The snip I caught on television, had a different spokesperson than the one pictured here ~

The gentleman is of color, and clearly stated gun vs gas tallied 80 vs 20%.

Print vs media?

Crafty marketing?

Posted by geoII | Report as abusive

Most unfair, apology in advance.

We live on a farm, and keep guns to protect our property.

If we were ninja’s, perhaps a knife would work on the vermin.

Oh, we don’t discriminate against unbelievers, as we also do not believe.

P.S. If folks are not in your circle, why care what they believe about you and yours? Don’t say and chances are they won’t know…Religion is not a polite conversation. Gracefully exit the conversation/company!

Posted by GeoII | Report as abusive

[...] us some different standards. Why are they offering money for guns with their cars? Check out this quote from Mark Muller, the owner of Max Motors in Butler, Missouri south of Kansas City: We did it because of Barack [...]

the lovely part about living in america is the fact that almost 300 years ago the men who wrote our decleration of independence realized that to protect natural rights ( see the bill of rights for a short tour )the people of america need firearms to protect against any extremist government ie. BRITAIN. So yes you live in the U.K. i am a true blue atheist but i know without a doubt no governemnt here in america can not do to its people what every other country has done in all recorded history ie. IRELAND, SCOTLAND. And oh yeah how about the fact that more people flee there own countries to live here in my FREE COUNTRY than any other. Including the ENTIRE UK. So yes i cover my heart with my hand and keep the other on my pistol because im waiting for someone to try and collect some back taxs that they feel are owed (by thie i mean ENGLAND).

I only want to live in a country where its citizens (i.e. not subjects) have the freedom to own and carry firearms. That is the fundamental difference why the United States is independent and not still a “crown colony”. Ordinary citizens with guns threw off the mantle of oppression. Darfur is only a genocide because the victims can’t fight back. Gun control and knife control are losing propositions because they are premised on the ridiculous notion that criminals will follow those laws! The only answer is to level the playing field with the criminals. Perhaps the answer is to deputize all citizens who wish to participate and make the largest civilian police force in the world. That would drive criminals to easier countries like Canada, Mexico and most of Europe where citizens won’t fight back or aren’t allowed to by their “leaders” (i.e. Great Britain – where self-defense infriges on the occupation of criminals).

Posted by Karl C | Report as abusive

Kate wrote: “I am proud to be British but I don’t go around saying that our country is free because it incites violent crime. I don’t know anybody with a gun and nor do I want to.”

Kate not not only fails to comprehend the nature of freedom, and the nature of violent crime, but she is bigoted and narrow-minded. If you don’t know anyone with a gun, then how can you know you’d not want to know such a person? Hands and arms can hold, protect, and defend against injustice and violence. They can also be used to strike out and assault in an unjust and criminal manner. Hands and arms. Humans are tool-making animals…and guns, which are tools created by humans, can be used to protect or to strike out in criminal violence. But the hand, as well as the gun, is inanimate – it is nothing without the mind and it is a human mind, a human decision, that commands the hands and the guns that extend from them.

Kate, one last question from another perspective. Do you recall a little incident called WWII? Did your mother, grandmother, or great-grantmother tell you stories? When you claim that you don’t wish to know anyone with a gun, it makes me wonder how you view the nature and outcome of WWII?

Posted by Carl in Chicago | Report as abusive

I am a woman that carries a Glock 19 every time I leave the house. I think in todays economy that a small business owner found a unique way to bring customers into his dealership.

Great way to sell a car!

Posted by Debbie | Report as abusive

I admire this guy! He is the spirit of America. If we dont like something we say it. I hope this will encourage other businesses and people to get involved as our right to SELF PROTECTION(For you Brits who are subjects NOT citizens)is very important to us. If we elect an anti gun president we will be no better off than any other unarmed nation in this world. They stil have just as much violence and killing as we do but they have to sit around and wait for someone to come to their rescue. At least we have the option to protect ourselves and our property!(well in most states anyway) We need to look at what this country was founded on and what the constitution was written for. If we did there wouldnt be an Obama in the run for president. I say give em hell Mr. Muller and be proud of what you are doing!

Posted by Casey | Report as abusive

“In fact when I lived in the States I was discriminated against because I do not believe in God.”

Oh really ?! How so Kate? You are aware that there are armies of lawyers eager to get you money if you can back up that statement. I would wager that you mean some people frowned at you or disagreed with you. Perhaps someone did not invite you to their dinner party. Just as YOU would treat someone you knew to own a gun. This is not Discrimination. It is simply free choice. You are free to believe or not–we are free to be friends with you –or not.

And by the way, you are NOT free to carry a knife in England, people do anyway. Imagine that.
As for measuring freedom by how people feel, have you seen the stats on how many Londoners are afraid to leave their houses in the evening ? Are they ‘free’ by your standards? In your “gun free” “all weapons forbidden” country ?

Please do not think I am anti-UK far from it. That is why it saddens me so to see where our friends have gone.

Posted by dlyn | Report as abusive

Study your own history Kate, 100 years ago every English Gentleman carried a pistol in his pocket when he went out, and violent crime was exceedingly rare. Today ALL weapons are illegal and the average Londoner is afraid to go out to dinner.

Posted by dlyn | Report as abusive

Kate–I am going to pig-pile on you–hope you don’t mind, Ducks….

Your Blessed Isles began to implement gun control laws in an effort to control those recalcitrants, the Irish, who had a nasty habit of acting out their desire not to be ruled and exploited by the Crown, as it is quaintly known. Dating back to 1903, the gun control habit became so ingrained that by 1940, when facing German divisions with little more than the shivering escapees from Dunkirk and ….pikes..yes, Ducks, pikes, with which to spear invading Huns, how uncivilized of them….your Government appealed to US sportsmen, urgently I might add, to send their privately owned firearms so the Home Guard might have a chance to die honorably when what was then viewed as the inevitable cross-channel invasion. And ‘we’ did…hundreds of thousands of revolvers emerged from those American pockets to which you so disdainfully refer, as well as rifles off of racks in (undoubtedly) ill smelling, flag-worshiping, God-cultic Frontier homes…and made the trip overseas in convoys manned by rank, boorish Colonialist able seamen. So your Home Guard was armed though the generosity and camaraderie of those who you choose so blithely to disrespect.

The best of your nation today resides, wearing body armor, in places like Basra. Sadly, they have to come home to the likes of you, and a sadly feminized and nannied shell of what was once a righteous colossus….

Posted by oldcorps76 | Report as abusive

Kate-

If the law-abiding people of your country were not prohibited by your silly government from defending themselves with handguns, I seriously doubt knife crime would be on the rise.
Please keep in mind that when seconds count, a really efficient police department can have someone there to help you in a matter of minutes.

Posted by Sam Mosin | Report as abusive

Kate, you expound the most interesting illogic! Your belief that the presence of more guns in your society must inevitably lead to a greater incidence of their wrongful use, is logically equivalent to believing that the presence of more uncastrated males in your society must inevitably lead to more rapes. But then, perhaps castrating all British males seems reasonable to you, just as a precautionary measure, of course? Or would you say that you “wouldn’t want to know” any males who remained, shall we say, intact? In fact, there is a large volume of well researched data available today that utterly refutes your belief. These data, which are international in scope, clearly show that an increase of guns in the general society is strongly correlated with a reduction in the overall rate of violent crime and vice versa. Your violent crime rate the UK is now more than twice ours in the USA, and the change (it used to be much lower than ours) has happened only since your implementation of draconian gun bans beginning around 1996. Even if you resist the obvious conclusion that the presence of those additional guns is responsible for the decrease in violence, they have clearly NOT been responsible for anything remotely resembling the increase you erroneously presume must occur.

Posted by Geoff | Report as abusive

I have only been threatened by anyone with a gun on a few rare occassions during my life.

Almost every time I meet a person who has training in one of the Martial arts (judo, tai kwan do, etc) or boxing, they almost always run around threatening me or someone else.

My point is that people who are violent (have a personality that uses violence for harming others), find MANY WAYS TO HARM OTHERS. They do not just run to get guns or knives. I have seen this since I was a child. People who are violent will CONTINUE TO COMMIT CRIMES AND VIOLENT ACTS, REGARDLESS OF PEOPLE HAVING THE RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS! GUNS DO NOT CAUSE VIOLENCE OR CRIME!! STOP BLAMING GUNS FOR ALL THE PROBLEMS IN THE WORLD.

Posted by Charles P | Report as abusive

Dear oldcorps76 interesting concept. I would like to read more on that historical scenerio. Any idea where I could find it. I have a neighbor who was on a Destoyer escort in WWII. He would love to know what he was protecting.

Posted by Jeff Gross | Report as abusive

Another interesting bit of British Gun Control history is that the British Government faked a crime wave in order to pass the first restrictions. This officially came out because British Classified information is eventually declassified and released. Basically in the early 20th century, the British government was concerned that the Worker Uprisings taking place on the Continent would spread to Britain. They wanted to limit gun ownership, but needed public co-operation with limiting a fundamental Common Law Right. So they faked escalating crime statistics. Good British Subjects were convinced that though their neighborhoods seemed peaceful, elsewhere things were falling apart. They were promised that Peace and Order would be preserved if only they would surrender their firearms. So, they traded freedom for the promise of security, and received neither.

Posted by dlyn | Report as abusive

I live in the great state of Texas in the great country of the U.S.A. When concealed carry was being sought in our state, then Gov. Ann Richards said that she would veto the law based on her “streets running red with blood ” philosopy. She was defeated in her bid for re-election and Geo. Bush became Gov. and signed the law into effect as he said he would. The doomsday philosophy of Ann and all the other anti-gunners has never materialized in Texas or any other state that has passed concealed carry laws. When the “assault” weapons ban sunsetted, once again the cry of the anti-gunners went out. “Streets red with blood “..”let the bloodletting begin” said the L.A. police chief. HASN”T HAPPENED !!!! AND NEVER WILL !! The anti’s thinking is that the fewer guns we have the less crime there will be. Wasn’t there crime before guns were invented ? people murdered before the invention of guns ? Rape ? Robbery ? Britain is a shinning example of how their gun control policy has failed miserably. Their answer to the rising crime rate ? Pass more restrictive laws. Which do absolutely nothing to lessen crime. A criminal is a person who doesn’t care how many laws you pass…he is after all, a criminal and all the laws in the world wouldn’t stop him from committing his deed. History has shown over and over what happens when people are disarmed and we still continue on the same course. More guns do not equate to more crime. Statistics show just the opposite. Ann thinks that everyone in the U.S.or anywhere else who has a gun wants to kill someone. The “streets will not run red with blood” When Jesus Christ was told that he was sitiing beneath a sword that was hanging on the wall his response was ” how else to fight evil ? “

Posted by sergei pantely | Report as abusive

Jeff, here is a link to a good article that discusses things oldcorps and I mentioned and much more.

http://www.nraila.org/media/misc/lostrts .html

Posted by dlyn | Report as abusive

I have to shake my head and wonder if the truth is ever recognized. It doesn’t matter what religion a person choses to follow. Idolitry is one of the things that will hurt the believer and everyone else in the country. Like it or not, inaminate objects should have utterly no power over thinking, intelligent people. A gun is only a tool, like a hoe, shovel, ax, drill, etc. It is the person who determines how they will use the tools that they have. People do not become maniacle killers because they have garden tools, or a firearm in their possesion. People who make up 99% of our great country will not hurt anyone else unless they need to protect their families or property. If all of these folks [who want to and are qualified] were carring firearms, our society would be the most polite society in the world. Crime would become non-existant, and the murder rate would drop toless than 1%. One of our forefathers stated that if one and all would obey the laws and tenants in the Bible,[whether a Christian or not] our land, country, world, would become an even better place to live and work![Obviously, I paraphrased.]

Posted by Carl Larson | Report as abusive

Guns are not the problem, but liberals dont want to face ralities. they will give up rights for “feel good” laws. In the end they use it to say they did something when re election coms around. Lets lok at DC to see how well gun bans work.
I dont need a gun for protection, I want one because i live in a free country.

Posted by Larry | Report as abusive

Good for you !
Keep up the spirit of FREEDOM.

Posted by William Matheson | Report as abusive

All of you proud gun bearing Americans, if you really believe what you’re saying, check out the”Appleseed” program at RWVA.com. Try it out, you’ll have a blast.

Posted by Loves2hunt59 | Report as abusive

I haven’t seen so much hyperbole in one spot in about 4 hours! Good thing I discovered this blog. My hyperbole tanks were getting low.

Really, what do they teach people in schools? They are seriously allowed to teach people that we are independent because we were allowed to carry guns? How about we’re independent because we convinced the French navy to intervene on our behalf?

Guns have been more of a contributing force to everything terrible on this countries short history. From the partial genocide of native Americans, to Political assassination, to prolific mass murderers.

How owning a gun ever got linked to ‘freedom’ is beyond me. Owning a gun makes you no more free than anyone who doesn’t own one, and while in theory the right to own and carry is a ‘freedom’ it does not enhance your freedoms as people make it out.

Guns should be like cars. You should need a license to own one. Both are fairly similar in that they are deadly in the hands of a fool, yet we see no problem in selling guns to fools?

Posted by Travis | Report as abusive

Criminals commit crimes! Law biding citizens DO NOT, whether they have a gun or not…if they did, they would be criminals!

Punish the criminals not the law biding citizens!

BTW, UK posters, how’s your crime rate going since you outlawed handguns?????? It’s skyrocketing!

Criminals buy guns (and drugs) illegally and that will never change! Drugs are illegal and anyone can purchase them in less than an hour!

Posted by Stephen | Report as abusive

Oh Travis–so many errors, so little time. Since I must go let me just take the easy one. You DO NOT have to have a license to own a car. Only to operate one on the public roads.

Posted by dlyn | Report as abusive

Travis, as an Indian, AND a Native American, I assure you we managed killing quite well in the LONG history of this country before white folks brought the gun. When the Whites had the guns and the Indians did not, we were indeed “less free”. Now we are armed and equal. Unlike the native peoples of certain other countries. And my professors were not “ALLOWED to teach”. They were before your PC and Speech Codes. They taught what they knew and could demonstrate by the historical record. It is called Free Speech, guarantied by the 1st Amendment and protected by the 2nd.
Guns are not at all necessary for genocide and mass murder, or have you not noticed Africa lately?
As for the French, yes they helped when we needed it, and we returned the favor in a little incident you may have heard of called WW II. But NEITHER one would have been won without the American proficiency with firearms.

Posted by dlyn | Report as abusive

Once again law-abiding Americans demonstrate their affinity to self-defense, freedom, economic success and personal responsibility and the anti-gun crowd runs over itself to demonstrate their ignorance on the issue of guns, gun control and crime.

The overwhelming empircal data clearly show that more guns in the hands of the good people leades to lower rates of violent crime. This has been demonstrated by studies at the University of Chicago, Florida State University, The National Science Foundation and the Centers for Disease Control.

When will the gun-control advocates abandon their hysteria and start facing the facts?

Posted by RealityCheck | Report as abusive

“small-town Americans bitter over hard economic times sometimes “cling to guns and religion.”

Every time I hear something else that Obama spews, I taste bile. This blowhard evidently doesn’t know who he is asking to pay his salary…

My religion and my guns have NOTHING to do with hard economic times… The fact that I pay WAY too much in taxes has a lot to do with it, though… I’m not bitter about economic CYCLES… I work hard, I pay my taxes, I provide for my family, I teach my children values, I try to save for a rainy day… and GUARANTEE that we’ll be looking forward to 4 years of rainy days if he is elected (OR Hillary, for that matter)… and We’ll likely be spending more of our rainy day fund on guns and ammo…

We’re in need of a new car… If anyone knows of a dealership in Colorado r surrounding states offering this deal – Have cash, will travel!

Posted by Micki | Report as abusive

As a mid-west business owner who just received in the mail my RIGHT TO CARRY license. I believe that in these economic times that gun vs gas is a no brainer. You can get gas anywhere anytime, but you have to submit your drivers license, ss#, & two other forms of id & have a background check before receiving your right to carry license. I live outside one of the 10 cities in the U.S. that has the worst crime rate anywhere. These crimes are generally due to lack of education for kids & adults who expect to receive something for nothing or have a chip on their shoulder because they didn’t get it for free.

Hi guys im 14 and all I would like to say is this:

The gun-haters start with the basic premise that guns are bad. You shouldn’t have them in your house because they’re dangerous, they say. I should let you know right from the start that handguns are used for protection against criminals in America nearly 2 million times per year. That’s up to five times more often than they’re used to commit crimes and nearly 128 times the total number of murders in the United States. Those stats alone are good enough to blow any anti-gun argument out of the water, but there’s more. According to the National Crime Victimization Surveys, people who use guns to defend themselves are less likely to be attacked or injured than people who use other methods of protection or don’t defend themselves at all.

Does that about sum it up for you thank you for your time.

This is one of the reasons that I have never, nor ever will visit your country unless your gun laws are changed, plus the fact your Government allows the death penalty, puts you on the same level as certain 3rd world countries that are too numerous to mention. It doesn’t say much for your “American way of life” If you have to carry guns to feel protected. Isn’t that what a police force is for?

Posted by PABelshaw | Report as abusive