Tales from the Trail

Michelle Obama speaks to gay Democrats

June 27, 2008

michelle.jpgNEW YORK – Michelle Obama won a standing ovation on Thursday when she paid a campaign visit to gay and lesbian Democratic activists to promote her husband Barack Obama‘s presidential quest.

Obama, appearing at a dinner meeting of the Gay & Lesbian Leadership Council of the Democratic National Committee, cited her husband’s efforts to fight discrimination and promote equal rights for lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transgendered people.

She said he supported a complete repeal of the federal Defense of Marriage Act, or DOMA, which only recognizes marriages between men and women and upholds states’ rights not to honor same-sex marriages performed elsewhere. He also opposes a “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy toward gays in the U.S. military and was against a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage, she added.

He supports full family and adoption rights for gay and lesbian couples and believes the federal government should not stand in the way of states that opt for domestic partnerships, civil unions or civil marriage, she said. The Illinois senator opposes same-sex marriage.

“Barack believes that we must fight for the world as it should be, a world where together we work to reverse discriminatory laws like DOMA and ‘don’t ask, don’t tell,’” she said. “The world as it is should be one that rejects discrimination of all kinds.”

Her husband also has called for a renewed effort to fight HIV and AIDS and has said the African-American community should overcome homophobia, she said.

“Nothing we have to do over the next four or eight years is going to be easy. There will be powerful forces who believe that things should stay just as they are, that everything is fine, and that’s where you all come in,” she said.

“Your voices of truth and hope and of possibility have got to drown out the skeptics and the cynics,” she said.

Click here for more Reuters 2008 campaign coverage.

Photo Credit: Reuters/Yuri Gripas (Michelle Obama at campaign event this week in Washington)

Comments
27 comments so far | RSS Comments RSS

Well I guess that decided my vote for me. Obama in November.

Posted by Mickey C | Report as abusive

it’s so nice to hear from a truely gracious leader instead of the ignorant, biggoted pigs that have governed for the past 8 years. Obama should come out of the closet for gay marriage, and say and do the right things to support marriage for everyone. Civil unions aren’t recognized by the federal government, and he knows it.

Posted by Flex | Report as abusive

At last a refreshing sense of social commitment that aims to tackle another evil that violates human rights.

Mr & Mrs Obama really are a great team!

Thank heavens for their emergence onto the political field.

America and the world will benefit!

Posted by The Truth Is... | Report as abusive

I assume Michelle’s long time spiritual leaders, Wright and Farrakan had scheduling conflicts which prevented them from joining her at this meeting.

Posted by DB Cooper | Report as abusive

I believe Koolaide was served with this speech.
Drink up, drink it all up.
Consider this Carter’s second term if he wins.
You will be paying more for Government to get involved in your lives. Like I said drink up.

Posted by Green | Report as abusive

Well that decides it for me. McCain in November.

Posted by Jerry | Report as abusive

This just affirms it for me. Ron Paul in November (yeah, I know…). Either way, neither of the ‘prime two’. But this whole idea of marriage…by definition…yeah, rights should be equal…but again, by definition, Marriage is between a man and a women. What is the point of the word in the English language if it doesn’t mean that? Marriage = significant commitment??? Why doesn’t everyone just say ‘we are committed to each other’? Alas, I’m not sure of the solution, but there has got to be something.

Posted by The Man | Report as abusive

Gracious, intelligent–it isn’t kool-aid people are drinking; it’s spirits of humility,equality and dignity–Michelle Obama connects with people and gets back respect and admiration in return. She’s very much like Elizabeth Edwards!

Posted by deb | Report as abusive

Maybe Michelle is, for the first time in her life, proud of her gay voting block.

Posted by Keith | Report as abusive

Jerry & and The Man!

First, I am proud that we live in a nation that allows freedom of speech. In this time when a great number of our personal freedoms have been snatched away under the guise of internal protection from the external forces of “evil” outside our borders, that “axis” that lies in wait to destroy our very country….I am ecstatic that there is STILL the right to voice ones opinion openly and freely. Now, I must say the challenge is for the listening and present faction of our society to cypher through the limited and repressive thinking to the all-inclusive global thinking. Unfortunately, Jerry and The Man you both are part of the limited, repressive thinking. Those individuals with little to no information that have formed opinions that have no REAL basis or offer solid fact, or data.

Barack Obama IS the candidate that represents change, and forward motion in this country. The fact that he supports a repeal of DOMA is MOST encouraging. This means Barack is not satisfied with keeping laws in place that restrict, and exclude fellow tax paying, law abiding, citizens. This means that Barack recognizes that banning same sex marriages is JUST as RIDICULOUS as the ban on interracial marriages was over the several centuries it was in place! Well, if the ban still existed we wouldn’t even have a Barack Obama! Gay couples are a part of those that have inalienable rights guaranteed in the constitution by this country’s founding fathers. We cannot have another repeat of 9/11 where members of our LGBT community lost their lives and their loved ones WERE not able to apply for assistance because they did not have the benefit of a marriage certificate. A certificate which immediately gives long-time partners of LGBT citizens access to all of the benefits afforded all heterosexual couples!

I stand up and applaud Barack.

I suggest Jerry & The Man that before you take a stand on an issue that blatantly excludes your fellow citizens of their inalienable rights, those citizens that have fought for this country, died for this country, protected the infrastructure of this country, cared for the sick and maimed of this country, entertained this country, built roads, airports, and given timelessly of their service to many of their fellow citizens in communities across this nation….I suggest that you REALLY look into the facts, REALLY think about how a ban will affect all of the citizens, and how it is important to uphold the constitution of the United States of America for all of its citizens!

Proud of My Country Again!

Posted by Happy to Live in a time when everyone can now be proud of this country! | Report as abusive

Except that Obama is a very closeted, very protected and faithful Muslim who has an agenda to fulfill for America and that means the complete obliteration of the transgendered and all those of an alternate lifestyle. He’s more closeted than we’ve ever been and the moment we wake up to this guy is the day we make the right decision for our preservation. All these political poser supporters swarming the internet posting falsehoods about Obama’s dedication to the transgendered and America in general won’t fool America when we have to get down into the fire you’ve created and we have to deal with Obama on America’s daily political frontline. That’s when he won’t stand a chance and America gets to win.

Posted by Stand Francisco | Report as abusive

If every citizen should have the Constitutional right to marry whom they please shouldn’t bigamists, polygamists, animal lovers, gardeners and whoever else be afforded the same privilege?

You have to draw the line somewhere. Personally I want to marry a head of red cabbage- right before I eat it. I’ll
vote for anyone that will pander for my Constitutional right, but I’ll bet Obama prefers asparagus.

Posted by Flinter | Report as abusive

Dear Stand Francisco!

Who do you suggest that we as a nation vote for McCAIN? What is his agenda for gays, lesbians and trans gendered folks? What is he agenda for this country, a 100 year war?

I believe Barack is WHO he says that he is! I believe he is probably ONE of the best, most honest, sincere politicians that has entered into US politics IN A VERY LONG TIME! I would much rather put my fate in his hands than in the hands of John McCain!

I find it offensive and sad that there are individuals such as yourself that are influenced by FOX news shows and unreal perceptions and dillusions and right out lies that are put in the mainstream media to dissuade the US population from voting in a man that is THE most honest politician this country has seen in A LONG TIME!

Even as disappointed as I was after Clinton got in office, and I volunteered diligently for his campaign! I was still more satisfied with Clinton in office than I would have been with BUSH!

I am proud of Barack. I feel confident as a person carrying the mantle of three “isms”, I am a woman, a US citizen of African Ancestry, AND I AM A LESBIAN! I feel that I can speak to the fact that it is time this country vote in a representative that is RELATABLE to all of the “minority groups” in this great land. white patriarchal rule is just outdated, because it does not represent the demographic of this country! I am READY FOR A CHANGE, and as a black lesbian I am confident Barack is that change.

If Barak & Michelle stand for what is right for all people, then language is important. Words such as: “where YOU all come in” and “YOUR voices” are separators. Not equal.

Using HIV and AIDS are separators as it insinuates it is a disease started by gays. This has been proven false.

Guess my white butt being involved in civil rights protests in early 1960′s didn’t mean much. Neither did establishing a large (300+) coalition in Phoenix AZ. to fight for people of all colors for Title IX, better employment and incomes in the 1970′s.

My point is that over the last 45 years, I have encountered many gay people on the fighting lines for equality for people other than gays. I am sad to hear there is “homophobia” among blacks. Maybe it’s like Hillary said that younger(?) people today take for granted that which they have, which has been obtained off the backs of others who came before them. This is not a criticism, just a sad observation of the truth.

Posted by Heather Rose | Report as abusive

MICHELLE OBAMA,
PLEASE LOOK TO FATHER GOD THROUGH CHIRST FOR YOUR ANSWER. WE ARE SEEING MANY SIGNS NOW.
WORRIED

Posted by WORRIED | Report as abusive

Dear Happy to live…..

You said, “In this time when a great number of our personal freedoms have been snatched away…”

What freedoms have you personally lost? Or is this just a phrase that many on the left use to attack in the absence of intellectual honesty?

Can you say you have lost anything?

Posted by Intellectually Honest | Report as abusive

All I can say, is GOD HELP AMERICA! I believe that the time is very short for the soon return of our coming Lord Jesus Christ. So take comfort, true believers in Christ…no matter which president makes it in, God will use it to accomplish His purposes for these end times. The days are growing more dark and evil. Only God’s Word will STAND in the end. Let God be true and every man a liar. The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? Jer. 17:9. The only true STANDARD is God’s standard and it’s ALL written in His Word, the BIBLE. As much as I like Barack Obama’s personality, I would not choose either candidate for president because they do not stand up for biblical views and standards. What they are for, God is AGAINST… according to His Word. In the end, GOD WILL HAVE THE FINAL SAY!

Posted by Diane Hernandez | Report as abusive

Michelle Obama’s moral failures are OUTRAGEOUS. She has no knowledge of God’s intention for the perpetuation of human life based on the marriage of a man and a woman who are anotomically created is a way which provides for children to be born. To willfully ignore the clear and abundant evidence of this reality is pure political expediency at its most agregious. She and her husband have no moral clarity in any realm and CAN NEVER BE CONSIDERED FOR ANY LEADERSHIP ROLE IN AMERICA

God said it’s gonna get rough. Brace yourselves….

Posted by kelly | Report as abusive

Dear Intellectually Honest!

I see that you define yourself as intellectually honest, are you saying that your thinking is governed by integrity of thought? BUT you question how any of my rights have been lost? Obviously your reading and comprehension skills are lacking. If you had noticed my previous post, you would see what it is that I have lost. I am an African-American lesbian, in that title alone much can be referenced that I have lost. The Patriot Act makes the previous version of racial profiling look like a pillow fight at a slumber party! Now, I can be profiled, or anyone that looks like me and snatched up into a VAN, taken away and never heard of again! As a citizen of this great land at this troubling time, I have lost the ability to travel without ease from one location in my country to the other. I have lost my personal privacy and autonomy. If such private activities as the messages I send through my email, the books I check out from my local library, even a confidential conversation I have with an attorney can be accessed and scrutinized, THIS DOESN’T sound like any of my rights have been lost? Are you really familar with the Patriot Act, do you understand the personal freedoms created in the Bill of Rights. I suggest you read both the Patriot Act and the Bill of Rights. If you are truly intellectually honest you will be able to understand the losses to every woman, man and child! Read the sections and compare to the Bill of Rights….you do the pedantic research…If you aren’t able to read between the lines and mourn the personal freedoms of every citizen of this great land, including yourself, you are NOT intellectually honest, BUT intellectually inferior!

Dear Worried, Diane Hernandez, Joyce Hudnall, Kelly and all other concerned, misguided and institutionally brainwashed, well-meaning folks!

PLEASE TAKE OFF THE WHOLE ARMOUR AND SHIELD YOU ARE WEARING FOR AN INVISIBLE BATTLE THAT YOU ARE FIGHTING. DO NOT USE THE BIBLE (in all of its interpretations) TO CASTIGATE, DENIGRATE, AND TO PROMULGATE RELIGIOUS PLURALISM AND THEOCRATIC TERRORISM ON THOSE THAT ENACT THEIR FREEDOM OF SPEECH AND THOUGHT TO DISAGREE WITH AN IMMORAL CHARACTERIZATION OF A LOVING, GENTLE, LONG-SUFFERING MAN, JESUS THE CHRIST! READ, STUDY TO SHOW THYSELF APPROVED. ATTEMPT TO UNDERSTAND THE TRUE METAPHYSICAL, NON-JUDGMENTAL, BIBLICAL ICON. AS A YOUNGSTER IN A FUNDAMENTAL CHRISTIAN RELIGION, I SAW THROUGH THIS HERESY, I QUERIED THE RELIGIOUS LEADERS OF MY FAITH, I READ, I STUDIED, I SAW THE in adequacies. I LEARNED OF GREAT CHRISTIAN PREACHERS WHO RECOGNIZED WE ARE ALL ONE, THERE IS NO SEPARATION AND NO DIVISION AMONG PEOPLE. STUDY WHAT TRUE LOVE IS, AND DO SOMETHING DRASTIC….GET TO KNOW A REAL GAY PERSON(S) YOU WILL FIND THAT HE OR SHE IS NO DIFFERENT THAN YOU, BLEEDS THE SAME, PAYS TAXES THE SAME, LOVES HIS OR HER SPIRITUAL COMMUNITY THE SAME, SERVES THE CITIZENS OF THIS GREAT LAND IN AMAZING WAYS! WHERE IS THE LOVE? DO YOU ALL REALIZE THAT IT WAS ALWAYS SPIRITUAL LEADERS THAT LED THE FIGHT FOR SOCIAL JUSTICE, RIGHTS FOR ALL PEOPLE! GET A HISTORY BOOK, A CONCORDANCE, TAKE SOME CLASSES AT YOUR LOCAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE. LEARN ABOUT RELIGION, DOGMA AND ITS PLACE IN THE PROPAGANDIZING OF THIS OUR GREAT LAND! EMBRACE EVERYONE IN LOVE, WITHOUT JUDGEMENT AND TRULY REPRESENT CHRIST ON EARTH!!!

I find the responses here an interesting read:

For those of you who live in the same free country I live in, I believe we have the freedom of religion. This would entail that I a citizen of this country, do not have to adhere to what is written in a book that people interpret to achieve their own selfish agendas.

I say Judge not less ye be judged, that would mean for you Bible Lovers out there, that if you judge me because I am a homosexual, you will have the same coming from your God. I personally am a Gay Christian and if you ever took the time to read the bible in its context and not pull out a single verse you might understand what the bible is trying to say.

God created us all and that includes homosexuals, some of us dont have a choice in the matter, as someone who has personally tried to be “straight” it just didnt work, i have no natural attraction to women and have even prayed that it be changed about me but it hasnt.

Either way though it is not a religious matter. I couldnt give 2 craps if you didnt let me have a religious wedding, i want a federally recognized wedding that allows me to go see my partner in the hospital.

Because we didnt move in when we met I have to wait 6 months to have my partner insured because i dont have the same rights a heterosexual male has to insure his wife when they wed.

You can belt bible verses at me all day long, this is a free country, i dont have to abide by a religious ritual which is just what you are making marriage seem like.

Grow up, go back to highschool and learn about America. Even some third world countries have surpassed us in this particular topic.

EQUALITY FOR ALL – DONT JUDGE ME BASED ON YOUR RELIGIOUS VIEWS – LET ME LIVE MY LIFE THE WAY I CHOOSE

You dont even have to call it marriage, it just has to give me and my soul mate equal rights as you.

GO OBAMA GO!!! PREVAIL AGAINST THOSE WHO WISH TO MAKE AMERICA AN UNFREE COUNTRY!

Posted by Kevin | Report as abusive

God is a God of Love but He is also a God of Justice. Noone is judging the homosexual/lesbian but the sin of it stands judged already. It is clear in God’s Word that it is sin and He is not pleased with it. We are all born with a sin nature and some are given to some sins more than others. Everyone could be said to have been born a homosexual or lesbianism due to this sin nature. But it was ultimately YOUR CHOICE to give into that particular sin. You need to look again into all the Scriptures that speak clearly against homosexuality/lesbianism and I could site some verses if you wish. I do not, nor does any so called “Bible thumper” need to judge this lifestyle, God has done this already in His Word. It doesn’t matter those who oppose the Bible, argue and fight about it, or don’t believe it, because God’s Word is TRUTH and it STANDS for all eternity. We are all eternal and when we leave this earth by death we will live on somewhere (either heaven or hell), whether you accept it or not. (And I am not saying ALL homo/lesbians are going to hell). As the Bible says: in the end, EVERY knee will bow and confess that Jesus Christ is Lord!

Posted by Diane Hernandez | Report as abusive

thanks Kevin….finally a response from someone that is knowledgeable and able to use the skill of discernment, and the lens of critical thinking! AND we say together…GO OBAMA, PREVAIL AGAINST THOSE WHO WISH TO MAKE THIS GREAT LAND AN UN FREE COUNTRY!

I dont understand how a gay couple makes up a family,like who is the mother and who is suspose to be the father, if there are children involve.It seems to be a unnatural way of living,I know the Bible says though at the end times most people will be as they were in Sodom and Gomorrah, Man laying with Man,women with women, and those who say the Bible is not true,what if you are wrong!!it not just the gay thing either,its a world of things happening that even an atheist has to admit,People are acting really different now,apathy is rampant,Do your own thing!If it feels good it must be ok!!,No pride in our jobs,cant get a human on the telephone no more if we need help with just about everything, Road Rage,Could get shot at the movies,Mc Donalds,Church,driving down the road., Parents torturing and killing their kids,kids killing their parents,Schools no longer safe,Drugs everywhere..Our politicians ,police,officials, goverement leaders are getting more corrupt everyday,Four Letter words used as everyday lanaguage because parents used the same lanaguage, didnt care,and teachers gave up on kids in school starting in kindergarten ,just a job for most of them,then they could get sued if they did try to correct the kids.Were running out of food,water and fuel and thats right here in the States,Our weather has gone crazy,and the list is so long I quit.And I dont judge no one,Help is on the way, and its not Obama or McCain

Posted by Jimmie | Report as abusive

*VOTE* that decides it for me. WHOOOOO!!! go michelle and Barack.

I am so happy that Michelle is out there on the campaign for her husband. She is a fine example of true support of your husbands dream, really mean… Go Michelle, thanks again for stopping by Madison Wisconsin