Tales from the Trail

While Obama does Afghanistan, McCain does…baseball

July 20, 2008

NEW YORK – It’s a Sunday, Democrat Barack Obama is abroad, and John McCain is where? At a baseball game.

The Republican presidential candidate, who is hoping to draw some attention away from his White House rival’s high profile trip to john-rudy.jpgEurope and the Middle East, kicked off his week by taking in an afternoon of America’s favorite game.

Who needs to go to the Middle East to be hot?

Dressed in a cap and sunglasses on a boiling day, McCain joined his friend and former rival Rudy Giuliani at Yankee Stadium, signing baseballs for surprised fans and enjoying a hot dog.

Giuliani, a big supporter of the Arizona senator since failing in his own bid for their party’s nomination, slipped in a few digs at Obama, who spent the weekend in Afghanistan.

“I think the fact that Barack Obama is kind of making his first tour, in essence, of the world, gives you an indication that John McCain is the man with the experience,” the former New York City mayor told reporters at the stadium, according to a pool report.

“John doesn’t have to go for the first or second time to these places. He’s been going for 20, 30 years. He knows the world. He understands the world.”

Click here for more Reuters 2008 campaign coverage.

Photo credit: Reuters/Joshua Lott  (JohnMcCain and Rudy Giuliani take in a New York Yankees baseball game)

Comments
16 comments so far | RSS Comments RSS

Ah yes, going to the same places over & over again & making the same mistakes each time. If he knows so much why are we in this mess.

Posted by Miri | Report as abusive

How does, “I’ve been to New York, I understand New York” sound? Something about it just sounds wrong to me. “I understand the world?” It sounds weird when you put it in first person.

Posted by peter | Report as abusive

Well! I think Obama’s comments calling blue collar workers bitter and clinging to their religion, bibles, guns…..topped the Gramm’s remarks.

And guess whose mouth those words came out of – the chosen one himself!

Why can’t Obama do the honourable thing and step down as nominee of the Dems?

McCain 2008.

Posted by EAST COAST | Report as abusive

In time of rapid change, just like now, experience can be your worsest enemy.

Posted by claudio almeida | Report as abusive

McCain, and his surrogates claim he know the world, but he keeps mixing things up and making bunders on the issues. I think his mental capabilities are in decline. I won’t use my future vote, on McCain’s past abilities.

Posted by Donald Smith | Report as abusive

Does Obama know what baseball is? He can’t bowl. I think our country would be better off if Obama learned some American values and sports rather than misrepresent us overseas. I agreed with the Dixie Chicks when they were embarrassed, now I’m embarrassed to have an egotistical, politically evangelical fool duping the people and representing us to the world without any basis for doing so. He’s not even a legitimate party candidate.

Posted by Roger Thomas | Report as abusive

McCain has been to Afghanistan and Iraq far more often than Obama. Perhaps you should ask what Obama was doing when McCain was there so many more times.

The title of your blog entry seems to suggest the two candidates should go at the same time. Not sure what purpose that would serve.

I guess I should keep in mind that this is a blog, and no suggestion of objectivity is required.

Posted by Scott | Report as abusive

And guess whose mouth those words came out of — the chosen one himself!

Hey, BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA isn’t black or white — he’s a chameleon.

He “CHANGES” colors with the environment — and/or the situation.

Why can’t Obama do the honorable things and step down as nominee of the Dems? HE WAS “SELECTED” BY THE DNC AND BIASED MEDIA — HE WAS NOT “ELECTED” BY THE PEOPLE.

John McCain in 2008.

Posted by EAST COAST | Report as abusive

The difference between McCain’s visits to Iraq, Afghanistan and other parts of the world:

To Obama it’s a photo-op, to McCain it’s necessary to understanding and planning!

Posted by Carl | Report as abusive

Best he finds a retirement home that caters for his sporting prowess.

But he should be warned – people of his advanced age should be careful not to be too energetic.

He would make a great president of some kind of old age sports society.

For sure. ;-(

Posted by The Truth Is... | Report as abusive

SO WHAT, HE PROBABLY WENT TO THE RESTROOM TOO, GET OVER YOURSELF DUDE.

maybe Obama — who thinks that there are 57 states in the US — should learn more about his own country first before trying to figure out what’s going on elsewhere

Posted by "sweetie" | Report as abusive

Understands the world? Man Obama was one of the very few contenders in the past 20 years who HASNT been raised entirely on mainland USA which is exactly what we need, some one who’s aware of what Americas position in the world could and should be (instead of being the most hated country with the most protested man in history as our president, more than Hitler for jeesums sake.

Anymore of these secluded narrow minded presidents and the republicans will be trying to convince us to invade Mexico for oil and because they resemble terrorists. I dont know exactly what will happen if Obama gets elected, but I would bet my right nut it would be better for the entire planet, Americans included.
-Obama all the way

Posted by martin | Report as abusive

While Obama is on the other side of the world meeting Europeans who will benefit from his tax hikes, and eventually taking our jobs, McCain is at home answering the tough questions from the American people. And if he attends an American baseball game in the process? Irrelevant.

Too bad Obama has declined town hall meetings. I guess I would do the same thing if I didn’t constantly have a script in front of me.

Posted by MrVegas | Report as abusive

Lol, these two idiots are one in the same. Neither one will lead America to better days they will tear it down farther than what it is now. They will keep corporate interest first and bargain away everything they can in order to get what they want. America is in a very dark place and unless the people do something about it, It will not get better. You think the “great depression” was something, wait till we see what’s headed for us now. And you can thank non-constitutional government officials for all of this and a very ignorant voting public.

Posted by Jason | Report as abusive

I agree totally Jason!! Obama promises to spend billons on this and that. That means taxes!! more and more taxes!!
McCain promises lower taxes so who’s right? But the voting public has to think about one thing in this whole election. all the promises are going nowhere until it gets past the congress and senate.
That bunch has been a stumbling block to the whole country for years now. I say the next big Election for the American people is to sweep clean both houses. There’s an old saying A New Broom Sweeps Clean!!
Unless We the people speak up and tell this bunch that they work for us and not the other way around. We will go nowhere. I don’t care who gets elected the facts are the facts.

Posted by John | Report as abusive