Tales from the Trail

Democrats wrap up their convention, tell us what you think…

August 29, 2008

rtr21sox.jpgThe last balloon has popped, the last piece confetti has fluttered to the ground and the last word has been spoken by Democrats who wrapped up their nominating convention Thursday.

Did presidential hopeful Barack Obama win over doubters, was he able to spell out enough details about his plans if elected, and did his attacks trying to tie rival Republican John McCain to the Bush administration work?

Let us know your thoughts and what you want to see from the Republicans in St. Paul next week.

Click here for more Reuters 2008 campaign coverage

- Photo credit: Reuters/Brian Snyder (Obama arrives to deliver his acceptance speech)

Comments
120 comments so far | RSS Comments RSS

Very very polished. The Democrats are really masters of the media. Their whole DNS was like a rock concert/ Evangelical sermon. The Republicans now have a hard act to follow.

Posted by Five Times | Report as abusive

Only if we will have a president that knows our problems – and that is obama!Thats enaf for me!Because he will find allready some way to solve our problems.But if he dosn’t realy knows our problems than we our in big troubble!Obama – he wants peace and a good american economy!mcain – he wants only war war war!

Posted by chkw | Report as abusive

I guess the expectations for me were too high. It was a disappointment.

Posted by Roger Thomas | Report as abusive

I will be voting Democratic in November. Obama is not only the better candidate to get America off this shnide he is a historic figure.

Posted by NJ Republican | Report as abusive

I thought the speech was FANTASTIC. Tonights victory will be marked in history as the turning point for AMERICA. I truly hope that all will vote on Nov 4th, my vote will go down for the CHANGE for the future, BARACK OBAMA.To use the football field and the technology sweep was just a sample of the new politics forthcoming. I cannot see how John Mccain plans to deal with this being that he is an old war veteran and BARACK OBAMA is a soldier of the Future. Even John Mccain’s own sister in-law is voting for BARACK OBAMA. That has to count for something.

Obama crammed five seconds’ worth of substance into thirty minutes. This arrogant Marxist will be SOUNDLY defeated in November.

Posted by Geo | Report as abusive

Two simple questions. Is he a politician? did his mouth move? If the answer is yes to both of these questions then you must know that he is a liar. Additionally, anybody that wants to do away with the second amendment then he does not need to be president. He will always look for loopholes to justify his self induced goals. Most of what I heard was lets increase taxes to pay for all of the pork belly spending that he has already proposed and then more afterward.

Posted by careful label | Report as abusive

Unbelievable Job. I don’t remember the last time people waiting with anticipation to hear a politician speak, the last time a politician struck a cords in peoples’ hearts that resonated in us as a republic feeling a sense of national community. I didn’t even think it was possible to be moved by a man in words.

Posted by Anna | Report as abusive

Obama skillfully crafted reason and emotion, plan and purpose into his speech.He’s right. This is a time for change. The country is ready.If we come together as a nation and in the next ten years do the things he’s called us to do, America will be a great nation for another 200 years.If we don’t, another nation will take our place.The challenge is ours. I hope we elect him

I have to say, as an undecided Independent, I was completely bored with the past four days… but Obama’s speech tonight blew me away. I had no idea who this guy was until tonight. And I have to say, I feel like I’ve just witnessed a turning point in American history. He’s got my vote.

Posted by Howard C. | Report as abusive

I was hoping Barack would confront McCain’s claims that the Democrats are going to raise taxes. He could have argued that, if we weren’t spending so much money in Bush’s war in Iraq, we would be saving $100B a year that could fund the programs Barack is suggesting.By the way, I’m a Republican who is about to vote Democrat for the first time in my life. To me, Barack represents the leader of a much needed revolution to turn the country back onto a positive path.

Posted by Bill | Report as abusive

Obama nailed it.Obama needed to silence critics who said he was a fine speaker, but didn’t know how to throw down. Tonight, he mixed soaring rhetoric with what can only be called as a unambiguous laying down of the gauntlet. Obamas speech was at the same time moving and a rallying cry for a Democratic party that was really starting to question could he deliver.All through the speech I heard the theme from Rocky going and by the end of it there wasn’t a dry eye in the room and everyone was hoarse from yelling. I was a little leery of the whole rock concert feel of the venue, but by the end of it I wasn’t even thinking about the fact he was in a stadium, he pulled the audience in and made it seem like he was talking to all of us as individuals.Right on time Obama, right one time. I almost pitty the GOP next week.

Posted by tlhwraith | Report as abusive

unreal…most moving speech ive ever heard.you want Mccanes world?…..WHY??…

Posted by scott | Report as abusive

He can still read a teleprompter.

Posted by Jen | Report as abusive

Barak Obama is what this country needs to put eight years of international embarrasement behind us. After Katrina, swift boats and Dick Cheney, what a breath of fresh air! And let’s not forget the fortunate son of president who still needs to master the english language!

Posted by Edward | Report as abusive

Great speech following excellent speeches by Hillary & Bill earlier in the week…momentum to the Dems and it will be tough for the GOP to match I’ll be very interested in seeing McCain’s speech on Thursday night.

Like all of his other speeches, I thought it was all rhetoric. I am biased though; I’m in the U.S. military and can’t stand this wussy socialism put forth by this guy. I’m not terribly fond of Mr. McCain either, but he is by far the lesser of two evils. Also, for a “uniter” and a “post-partisan” kind of politician… He sure attacked Republicans a whole lot. His fake little speech just reinforced the already poor opinion I’ve always had of the guy.

Posted by Malcolm | Report as abusive

It is wonderful to see this nation rise out of the miry politics of the last eight years through this young man’s dream.

Posted by Mr. Thomas | Report as abusive

Barack Obama delivered an inspiring speech in Denver, demonstrating an important leadership quality. Obama made the case that he is the Presidential candidate representing real change.

This man shows the intellect that leaders are made of. Obama is clearly the direct opposite of the ignorance that has ran this country for so long. It’s time for change in this country and I am more than honored to serve a man of his INTEGRITY (something Republicans have very little of nowadays). May our divided country open it’s doors to the leadership of this great man and pass Mccain back to the Senate where he can continute to follow what others tell him to do.

Posted by HarryIV | Report as abusive

Masterful. A political speech for the ages.

Posted by Simon | Report as abusive

Sounds like he would run the country like he does his campaign….a lot of show and mouth and millions of wasteful spending, Why didn’t he bring his white grandmother to his big night? He has kept her in hiding all thru his campaign.

Posted by Jen | Report as abusive

It\’s a nice message that \”IF\” we work hard we can make anything possible. It\’s a republican theme… to be accountable and responsible for ourselves. I\’ve always thought his messages are nice. Independence from outsider\’s fuels… that\’s also a republican stand. It\’s nice to see Obama telling us what we want to hear… But I am not confident in these promises.For one, I am not sure how redistribution of wealth will entice people to work harder. It\’ll sure be nice that I get to stay home and not have to worry about tomorrow.I say if Obama can do all this, he\’ll be a president of all presidents… and would have proven all his predecessors wrong. Redistribution of wealth has never worked… but nice to hear that no one will have to ever suffer again… and that\’s what his promise is.

Posted by Chicago | Report as abusive

Spectacular speech by Obama. Historic. What a terrific leader!On another note it seems to me tremendous irony that the guy from Focus on the Family told people to pray for a deluge in Denver tonight, and it looks like there may be a hurricane next week during the Repub convention. God has a tremendous sense of humor….

Posted by Janice in the mountains | Report as abusive

Good speech? Maybe. Good president? I don’t think so. Untested, naive, simplistic, hateful (of average Americans who work hard but are now considered ‘rich’). He is a socialist. God help us if he becomes our president. We will be taxed to the poor house. And Keith Olbermann loves him. What else do you need to know to not vote for him?

Posted by Hank | Report as abusive

It was an absolutely amazing event to see. I was extremely impressed and was glued to the web cast from when it started — to the very end. The man is truly an inspiration once you learn about him. And he really knows how run a campaign. The planets really seem to “be aligned” for Obama and the message he is giving. His time seems to have come. God speed.

Posted by RJ | Report as abusive

I thought that Barak Obama did a fabulous job. My favorite part was when he said that if we can’t agree about abortions at least we can agree on reducing the number of unwanted pregnancies.I am a 54 year old white pro-life woman who is supporting Obama.

Posted by Cathy | Report as abusive

Great Speech. The man is smart and it shows. I was concerned about his “lack of experience”. Those concerns have been washed away with hope and admiration of a man who has instilled the dream of better tomorrow into so many.Great Job Barack.

Posted by Dave | Report as abusive

If anyone said that it was boring… same old speech… and I nearly fell asleep. Really… I am honestly not being a smart A$$ here.Nothing new, just lots of spin… but then I’ve heard him say one thing one day, and something else the next.So, nothing new. And if I get attacked w/this post… a previous poster said “wow, I never knew this guy before. But after tonight he’s got my vote”. EXACTLY… if you don’t follow what he says from the beginning… then he’ll look good to you the first time.

Posted by K | Report as abusive

Obama Hit a Home Run tonight, we have come a long way in 44 years. JFK and LBJ are smiling tonight.

Posted by John | Report as abusive

Are we electing a President or a rock star?He gave a great meaningless speech off a teleprompter and may as well be a robot creation of the DNC.Use common sense:He promises tax cuts to people who do not pay taxesHe promises great government programs without telling you who will pay for themHe says he will tax US corporations more but the greatest problem the US has is that its corporations are already relocating to countries with lower tax ratesHe talks about us succeeding “on our own” but then immediately dictates how government will essentially run your life for youHe has no interest in the US as a premier nation but merely a step in his personal goal to becoming the world leaderHe has written numerous articles and reports directly based on Marxist-socialist philosophyHe ridicules George W. Bush but our country’s greatest failure has come in the last few years when a Democrat Congress has hampered all possible policy improvementsHe ridicules the Iraq war but we have now successfully succeeded in bringing a true democracy to a once world threatHe had absolutely nothing to do with the decision-making for the Iraq war but flat out lies that he was somehow a part of the decisionHe is not the answer for America but the absolute worst solution

Posted by Jeff | Report as abusive

His grandmother is in Hawaii and old, I can understand that she wouldn’t want to travel to the States. Heck, I’m scared of an airplane ride to Chicago from Minneapolis…As for the message and the setup: he’s talking business because he’s shown that in the 21st century, you have to execute politics with pizazz.

Posted by Nancy | Report as abusive

He aced it and sent a strong message to McCain, who has cast the first stone with negative advertisement. Now Joe Six pack will be fed a slew of negative messages about McCain/Bush. He will eat it up and the Democrats will win by a landslide which will put the fear of god in this paralytic congress. Obama will have them eating out of his hand.

Posted by Hartley Lord | Report as abusive

I have to add, that regardless of my boredom… his speech tonight was the best he has delivered. But then its expected … isn’t it. he delivered to his voters. He lost his message for a while there… but it may be back.But the debate is where it counts… not during speeches… as I expect the RNC to be the same.

Posted by K | Report as abusive

The Democrats had a fantastic ethical, smear free, substantive convention. They draw quite a contrast to the Rovian garbage spewing machine. What do I want to see from the republican convention? How about if every last one of them get down on their knees en masse and beg the American public’s forgiveness for the deceit, corruption, pain, war crimes and trashing of our constitution that they have inflected on us in the last 8 years?Idaho Bob

Posted by Idaho Bob | Report as abusive

I am once again proud to call myself a Democrat…I have not worked on a campaign since I was in High School and distributed leaflets for John Kennedy…I am volunteering to get this young senator from Illinois (my home state) elected President…when he said “…it’s not about me it’s about you..” it brought tears to my eyes and restored my faith in people wanting to be public servants…

Posted by bunny martin | Report as abusive

I just heard our next President, Barack Obama give an excellent and comprehensive policy speech. Chicago’s earlier remark posted on this blog is absolutely on the money, Redistribution of wealth schemes have never worked out as demonstrated by our current state of affairs after 8 years of Republican governance. WE ARE WITNESSING THE GREATEST TRANSFER OF WEALTH FROM MIDDLE TO UPPER CLASS IN THE HISTORY OF OUR NATION (UNDER GW AND PALS.) Think again, the details of Obama’s speech this evening are credible, eminently doable, and downright moral and decent. I feel like yelling U.S.A. from the rooftops again, after 8 years of dishonest, reprehensible governance that has caused me at times to be embarrassed and even ashamed for my country. After tonight’s speech I have renewed hope for the US and further, I understand the importance of my showing up to do my part in remedying what ails us.

Posted by Boris | Report as abusive

Obama is a symbol of hope, while McCain is a symbol of fear.

Posted by David | Report as abusive

In style, a fine speech and well delivered although he seemed to lose momentum and focus at the end and ended on a bit of a flat note compared to more cohesive points earlier on. In substance little more than a rehash of liberal themes from the past 40 years. In particular, he fails to convincingly explain how he’s going to pay for his “New Deal” type of social redistributions of wealth by cutting taxes on 95% of Americans and raising them on just the remaining 5%. The math doesn’t work. Moreover, with all the IOU’s he incurred to get the support of special interest groups like Big Labor, it sure doesn’t look like “Change” to me. For example “Card Check” is nothing more than a payoff to the unions for their support and is one of the most undemocratic and corruption-prone labor practices to come down the pike in a long time. But the labor beast has to be fed. Instead of Change, it looks like the “same old wine in a different bottle”.

Posted by Rich Jacobson | Report as abusive

Spectacular. I’m so hopeful that maybe we can correct this mess and improve the lives of all Americans. Historic – wish I would have gone to Denver!

Posted by Janice in the mountains | Report as abusive

“The Party of Roosevelt and Kennedy”Roosevelt-country sat in depression and did not really escape until WWII revived the US economy, but he immediately responded after Pearl HarborKennedy-very aggressive internationally including military pressure on Cuba and initial start of VietnamObama-we will simply ask countries to be nice to us or not have nuclear weapons, maybe I can give speeches all around the world (using a teleprompter) and people will just like us

Posted by Jeff | Report as abusive

I am really torn. I’ve been waiting to hear something of substance from Obama and he certainly delivered that tonight. He is an excellent performer and likely the best public speaker in a generation. However, there were moments all throughout the convention that showed careful crafting. Notably the Barney Smith/Smith Barney reference. He’s got some obviously talented speech writers and he has great delivery. But it makes me question how genuine he is. There were times that a real person could be seen behind the campaign polish, which is exceedingly rare. The moment he said, “It has never been about me, it is about you.” Seemed to cut through any rhetoric that may be aimed at his credibility and experience. Overall, he was very careful to address all of the criticism that had been directed at him directly and clearly. I’m still not entirely in the Obama camp, but McCain better deliver big next Thursday if he hopes to win this thing.

Posted by J | Report as abusive

Three words: I was inspired!

Posted by Ben | Report as abusive

As a person of mixed nationalities (immigrant) living in Canada, it prides me to say that finally, not only Americans but Canadians and people across the world, including those in supposed “third world countries” can hope for a change.That true leaders can arise out of the ashes of despair, that the fire of hope still burns deep inside the hearts of the hard-pressed, that not only knowing thy neighbour but helping him in times of need without selfishness is what makes not only a strong America, but a strong global community. The is the true genius of Barack.Congratulations citizens and residents of the United states of America. You will be soon be choosing a leader that generations of Americans and world citizens will be thankful for.Have a peaceful night.

Posted by Bobby D | Report as abusive

Obama finally put things into words that we all can understand and made them seem simple too. It will be hard if not impossible to accomplish all his clear-cut goals but we now know what they are and what direction he’s clearly aiming for.McCain isn’t as good a speech maker but like Bush he does know how to charm and play up to his audiences desires and beliefs even if thier desires are naive like defeating the devil or chest pounding against our enemies instead of dealing with them intelligently and with care and strategy.If Obama can stay on target in the coming debates like he did tonight in his great political speech and keep it simple and direct he will win.

Posted by Timothy Lewers | Report as abusive

Barack did it. Some of the cynical above make me believe they didn’t watch or are so blinded that they can’t see something Fantastic when it’s right in front of them. But to say he has kept his grandmother in hiding is just pathetic. She is an old woman who can’t travel. But that person sounds like she doesn’t think, I wonder what her grandmother would think. I guess when you can’t find anything wrong you have to make something up, usual politics. But after tonight I think more and more Republicans will be voting Democrat. If they aren’t happy with their nominee, they try to dish the other one. I am proud to say this Republican will now vote Democrat. Move to the future not back to the past. McCain is wrong Barack is right.

I wasn’t going to vote…….. but I am now.Obama’s the real deal, like it or not …………

I am ready to participate in helping the country I love most, the U S of A, move forward from its current terrible mess of debt and destruction, a mess I’m sorry to say that Senator McCain would continue. Our country can be a shining leader again with decent paying jobs here at home in the U S for hard working people. Senator Obama has my vote.

Posted by On a break from work | Report as abusive

Now I’ve seen everything. A Silk Purse out of a Sow’s Ear.He speaks with such flair…………..he is still a sow’s ear. he has no substance…only hot air. He has no experience. He has no direction. He only has a damned good sales pitch. He should be selling vacuum cleaners door-to-door. He would clean up.

I knew I was going to be witnessing history tonight. The speech was amazing. He addressed my concerned and at the same time finally struck back at the Republican party which has been running such negative campaign for so long.Quick comment on Mccain’s reaction to the speech. John Mccain is not only out of touch with normal American voters he is also out of touch with politics and the entire campaign in general. One of the points he(Mccain) got from Barack’s speech was that Obama was going to raise taxes on Americans making 40g a year. Did he even listen to the speech?? He does not even know the views of the person he is competing against? Either he has no friggin clue or he he slipped up and he meant to say those making more than 4 million a year. So Mccain is either blatantly lieing or a complete idiot. Either way he is running the exact same campaign as the Bush/Cheney administration. Four more years of of Republicans would be a disaster for this country.

Posted by Natheya | Report as abusive