Tales from the Trail

Democrats wrap up their convention, tell us what you think…

August 29, 2008

rtr21sox.jpgThe last balloon has popped, the last piece confetti has fluttered to the ground and the last word has been spoken by Democrats who wrapped up their nominating convention Thursday.

Did presidential hopeful Barack Obama win over doubters, was he able to spell out enough details about his plans if elected, and did his attacks trying to tie rival Republican John McCain to the Bush administration work?

Let us know your thoughts and what you want to see from the Republicans in St. Paul next week.

Click here for more Reuters 2008 campaign coverage

- Photo credit: Reuters/Brian Snyder (Obama arrives to deliver his acceptance speech)

Comments
120 comments so far | RSS Comments RSS

Wow! Obama gave a good speech? Who would have thought that was possible?Yes, it included more specifics than some of his other speeches, although I agree with other posters who question how these programs will be paid for.The parts about removing tax breaks for companies that outsource is BS. US companies ALREADY move overseas because of the high tax rates (2nd highest in the world after Japan. Even such “socialist” nations like Sweden and Finland have lower corporate tax rates. Don’t we want to be like Europe? Heh heh.)as well as other regulations/mandates/etc.I would also like to know how Obama defines “working families”. Many people who earn six figures and higher work damn hard. Small business owners and entrepreneurs also work damn hard.I am not swayed by speeches especially when they do not appear to be backed up with actions. I would LOVE to believe Obama could accomplish what he says he would like to do, but I am too familiar with politicians who say one thing during a campaign and end up achieving very different results once elected.To me Obama, McCain, Clinton they are all alike: They are nothing but typical politicians. Until their actions back up their words, I’m not buying the rhetoric.

Posted by Not a sheep | Report as abusive

It was high time that very poor leadership was called what it really was. The Bush administration leadership and management of the countries affairs has been very poor. Entry into the Iraq war and the handling of the war were a major mistakes. The failure to regulate banking was a major mistake. The Bush administration at best has third rate managers. The only time any problem was even recognized by the Bush administration was after the damage had been done. We can do better

Posted by Fred Belz | Report as abusive

I was not alive to witness the amazing times and ideas and changes of such leaders as MLK or JFK or Lincoln. My generation has had no great and inspiring voice. It is not would I vote for him… I will vote for him.

Posted by now | Report as abusive

I am not sure if Americans realize how lucky they are to have someone like Obama at this defining moment. If they do not want him, We surley love to have him as our leader for Australia.

Posted by Tony | Report as abusive

The talk was extraordinary and I’m in.If each one of us who’s in talks to ONE undecided person about why we want to elect Senator Obama as our next President — we can make a difference.

Posted by Gingerale | Report as abusive

To the naysayers and people who say it is lies, boring or just spin–how long have you been following these campaigns in how many media outlets. As someone who has watched closely all three leading candidates since last winter in red,blue and in between media outlets Obama gave a great political speech one of the best in 60 years. Hopefully it will positively affect undecided voters. We don’t need anymore war mongers who give away the people’s money to their already rich friends–to the comments of socialism, if you want to take society back to dog eat dog when some huge,broken toothed biker takes you apart limb by limb wouldn’t you like a government then that would try to help everyone? Now apply that thinking to tax loopholes and deregualtion that lets a Swiss company buy and sell up to 11% of the oil futures so all of us can pay more at the pump for the gas we need to get to work or school. Grow up-there’s always someone bigger,stronger, tougher, or richer–government has to have a sense of humanity.

Posted by stephen hapke | Report as abusive

Seems to me that these reporters and the John McCain need to get their facts straight, claiming the Barrack Obama would be the youngest man to be elected president is incorrect it both John McCain and the Republician party were to do their research they’d find out the John F Kennedy was the youngest man ever elected to be President of the United States in the history of this country, JFK was 43 when elected president in 1960. Check your facts before opening your mouth reporters and John McCain.

Posted by Steve | Report as abusive

Again, the news media is ga-ga over Obama. As a Hillary PUMA supporter, Obama missed the mark. What an idiot!!! He never said one thing to Hillary supporters and he is so in love with himself he cannot admit a dirty smear campaign and how the dumb super delegates got him the top spot.I am thoroughly disgusted with the Democratic Party right now. I am a REAL Democrat, no Republican, but I am sick of the news media, Obama, and the DNC ordering Hillary around like a puppet and then showing no respect. Obama supporters, cherish the moment, because in November you are going to lose the White House. Your candidate showed no class or gracious act of mending the fence with Hillary supporters. The Clinton’s were ordered to deliver, will they did, but Obama dropped the ball.Now, I will vote Democrat for all of my local politicians. However, I WILL Vote for the GOP nominee for the first time in my life as a protest vote. I AM NOT A BOT, I AM A PERSON AND MY VOTE DOES COUNT. Obama is too liberal for me. It is so frustrating and demoralizing where the Democratic Party is and what has happened to it. After this election, I will do what I can to ensure that the party returns as the party of the people and where every vote counts is a reality, not a slogan!!!!

Posted by APS in Hawaii | Report as abusive

Great speech, I was impressed. He has been attacked so he fought back and did a very good job.

Obama embodies decency,morality, being your brother’s keeper, caring for the community,empathy for the less fortunate, walk a mile in anothers shoe etc.We all know it’s the right thing to do, a lot of us had similar proper upbringing and equal gentle caring Mothers but these are strange times and it is sooo sooo hard when CEOs are running off with $mils.pay bonuses while chanting the organizational shrill that greed and selfishness is good for the country.Shrub himself chants that spend, spend, spend, it is better for the economy.Obama’s speech was so what we longed to hear, coming out of the US that we are left transfixed, mesmerized, in his words of hope.

Posted by lydia | Report as abusive

Very impressive! i wish America all the best!!

Posted by Joy | Report as abusive

Unfortunately I didn’t see him deliver the speech. I did read it however. It reads like a typical campaign rally speech – full of wonderful sounding phrases, and promises to cure all of our problems. There’s no substance here. I remember JFK and MLK challenging us to be better people, to rise above our current situations, to make something of ourselves! Barack promises to give us more and we are required to do nothing ourselves………..a recipe for disaster on a personal, community, and national level. Are we as Americans going to elect someone on style rather than substance? Directly the opposite of what MLK preached! Come on people put your brains to work! This guy has yet to provide any serious solutions to real world problems!

Posted by Mark | Report as abusive

It is a shame to see the detractors convey their messages in a blog like this and not even try to be truthfull to their nation without one sided. OPne needs to be for the nation and not for a particular party. I for one have always been a registered Republican and alaways voted republican because I beleived they can do the right thing. But in this case I have to say that he has delivered an excelent speach that was on target on what the voters need to hear and see happen. Congrats to Senator Obama for such an inspiring speach and hope that the rest of the politicians lear from him and start talking about what they are going to do for us instead of degrading the reputation of the other. McCain, if you want my vote then I ask him and his supporters to show that the republicans do have respect to every human being and not run a smear campaigne.

Posted by James | Report as abusive

I was born into a republican family in a red state. In 2000, I thought Bush was the way to go, although I was sixteen and naiive. Since the begin of Bush’s tromping his muddy boots through the Whitehouse, I have read more, learned more, and realized the policies of this administration are the biggest and most embarassing failure for our great country, thus far in my lifetime. I know that with McCain, the policies will be nearly the same if not exactly.Obama is our man, he is the one who can actually bring change. It is too bad the Republican party can’t realize that change is necessary, but I guess the fact that Repubs are afraid of change is what makes them Republicans.With Obama as our president, we will all be brought closer together, we will be one nation of a diverse people. We will be better domestically and in the foreign world.Our time to change is now. Without change our country will not progress, will not better itself or it’s people. Change is upon us, the future is upon us.I hope all you Reds are ready for the change. It’s okay don’t be afraid, we Bluehearts will pick you up when you fall… Because in the end, red or blue, we are all Americans. If we can’t take care of each other, we can’t help the rest of the world.

Posted by Boga | Report as abusive

All glitz and no substance. Blaming all of the ill ways of the last eight years on government is shameful. Americans need to take responsibility for not saving; spending over their income; being innovative; working hard. This is what the rest of the world see’s: An America that is complacent, fat and lazy. This has nothing to do with our President but with the American people.I am a democrat the is switching over to the republican party. We need a President that won’t sell off our constitutional rights to the government in order to fix a problem that we should ALL stand up and fix ourselves.If you don’t have “boots” then go bare foot – figure out a way to make it happen and quit relying on the government to solve it for you. This will force us Americans to be innovatve, creative to make things happen. If you rely on the government for hand-outs, then this actually reduces our willingness to be creative, to work hard and make progress.

Posted by MJ Gus | Report as abusive

i saw the entire speech…no doubt Obama delivered a great speech,but the reason why Democrats will fail this time will continue to be same as last general election…by defending the stand they took to bomb Iraq…they (R) will continue to impress upon the fact that the risk of inaction would have been far to great to take with Saddam in office.And they will get away with that argument.And unfortunately Democrats have not and would not be able to discredit R on this matchwinner argumentJ. Kerry lost on that premise.Its Obamas turn this time around.

Posted by Sanjay | Report as abusive

Change change change thats all you hear from this empty suit Obama and heaven help us if he is elected because change is all that will have in our pockets by the time he finish all his spending.

Posted by ifymens | Report as abusive

It was an extremely well delivered uninspiring speech. More of the “I will” promises that is always offered in political rhetoric… The ONLY person to ever attain the office of president without promising “change” was…. George Washington… Because our elections are shaped and controlled by the media, Senator Obama will most likely win the election… He will enjoy a Democratic majority… so, after reality sets in, let’s see just how much of the “I will do’s” actually become “I did” for the 2012 campaign…

Posted by Stan Brody | Report as abusive

Obama Rising.The last night of the Democratic Presidential Convention belonged solely to Barack Obama.The clear-eyed candidate strolled out confidently before a thunderous crowd of supporters (75-thousand people) and stepped into history as he uttered the words “I accept the nomination.” The Democratic Presidential Nominee set a new standard in discourse as he challenged his opponent step up to the plate in serious, not sullen, debate on the tenets of leadership. The nation’s stock and the world’s stock in “change” rose on Mr. Obama’s every word. This unlikely foot-soldier demonstrated with impeccable precision, poignant tact, healthy humility and deft definition wisdom, which has been long absent and at great cost in the body politic.NewsJReview

The blogs I have read seem to reflect people who have very little knowledge of history or understanding of economics, They just know what they yearn for. The machine behind Obama understands these yearnings and feeds them. This machine wants socialism,control over all money made by individuals to redistribute to those who will vote for them. Our attention span is that of a mosquito.

Posted by d tyler | Report as abusive

Let me ask you some questions:1. Did you know that the bottom 40% of income earners pay no income taxes?2. Did you know that the bottom 60% of income earners pay 1% of the income taxes?3. Did you know that the top 10% of the income earners pay 71% of the income taxes?4. Does anyone remember the fable of the goose that laid the golden egg?Evidently, Obama answers no (or hasn’t taken to heart) to question #4 and doesn’t think that #3 is “their fair share”!!!!What happens to our democracy when the top 1% of income earners pay 100% of the taxes? What self- interested citizen would vote for a politician who would change this? We would then be a nation of entitlees riding on the backs of that 1%! But they’re rich, so they can afford it!When did European “get it” and start revising their oppressive tax system and go “capitalist”? [In case you didn’t know, their income tax rates are well below ours!] Do we want to go down the road that Europe did in previous generations? They seem to have learned their lesson. Should we learn from their mistakes or do we have to make them ourselves?If I didn’t worry about the health of that golden goose, or my love of democracy, or “fairness”, I would be all for having the rich pay even more of the freight as Obama is suggesting. When will people emotionally get over the jealousy of someone else’s wealth? Thank God we live in a system where anyone [John D. Rockefeller and Bill Gates did not come from an aristocracy!] with the talents and inclinations can become part of that 1%. Personally, I think it’s highly overrated, but to each his own

Posted by d tyler | Report as abusive

Inspirational!!

The DNC convention was a big victory for terrorists and communists around the world. Whenever a completely inexperienced politician is hailed as a ‘biblical figure’, you can be sure that change is coming, ala Mussolini and Karl Marx. Change is neither inherently good or bad. Those who think things cannot get worse in America are in for a real eye opener.

Posted by Dave | Report as abusive

We are a nation of whiners. We willfully sign mortgage contracts, then whine when we later do not like the terms. We choose to be irresponsible with money, spending disposable income on unnecessary items from China because it makes us feel good.Granted, there are many, although not as many as liberals like to contend, that have hardship, that struggle to get through life, that have misfortunate events from which they require assistance. There are countless government and faith-based charities that are available to help, people just have to ask.Yes, the US has ‘poverty’, but no one living in shanty-towns of the Great Depression era; no groups dying of starvation because they are unable to farm.Hardship in the US is living without cable TV, air conditioning, or a cell phone. As a nation of 300 million people, we have 263 MILLION people with cell phones! (http://www.ctia.org/). Excluding the extreme elderly and under 10 years old, thats almost every man, woman, and child in America!The Democrats are in the pocket of trial lawyers, big union, and environmentalists, in every way that the Republicans are in the pockets of big corporations, oil companies, and some religious groups.Obama’s change means more inefficient union jobs; No limits on tort lawsuits to ‘punish’ companies, which end up costing jobs; inefficiency in the name of being ‘green’. For that last point, look at the DNC in Denver and the lengths organizations went to just to label themselves ‘green’. If you are inefficient, you are wasting energy, time, and money. Yet that’s what our whining nation wants; big government to take care of us so we have more time to spend on the internet, in front of TV, or stuffing our faces.

Posted by Russell | Report as abusive

Thank God there is John McCain!

Posted by antor | Report as abusive

People who label Obama Marxist and Socialist not only are incorrect but they make themselves seem petty, fearful of greatness and married to an unsupportable status quo.If you were smart or wise or thoughtful you’d have his degrees, his credentials, his resume and his ideals and ability to express them.

Posted by Catharine | Report as abusive

I bet you John McCain wins by a 10% margin in November!

Posted by antor | Report as abusive

Great speech now all he has to do is deliver change.But change what, nappies, light bulbs, tv channels?Come on! Time to stop the egomanic granstanding and pointless waffle and start giving us some policy specifics and who will pay for them.

Posted by nick | Report as abusive

Good speaker but less than a year as an actual senator. He has no experience. He has not even voted on anything worthwhile. Check his record. He has to play the race card or he knows he has no chance at all to win. It really bothers me that a lot of people will vote for him simply because he is black. Not ready to be CIC.

Posted by Jay Stubbs | Report as abusive

C’mon guys. Politics was always about empty promises, and I think this Obama dude really pulled out all stops in flying colours. One man in eight years cannot change the course of a dying institution. Since the set path is downhill, we might as well go down in style. What a great orator he is. The words simply flew off the screen and knocked me off my recliner – bear, pizza and all. It was like listening to a neatly trimmed Jesus after several prior sessions at the solarium. I’m sure all left-wingers and converted right-leaning hawks will be expecting with eager anticipation higher taxes and less services from this wordsmith. An added bonus: If Obama wins, and that’s a long shot, then future generations would no longer be able to refer to Capitol Hill as ‘white trash’.

Posted by tom thumb | Report as abusive

More than ever, Obama looks like the next JFK

Posted by Judah | Report as abusive

Inspired? You bet. So inspired that I donated to his campaign, something I have never done in all of my 60 years on this earth. Can he do it? Not alone, but with our help he can. McCain says we are a country of whiners…which might be partially true, but I think our biggest problem is that we are apathetic. If we, the people, get behind Obama and force our sentators and congressmen to work for our country rather than their political parties, we can move mountains and once again become the greatest nation in the world.

Posted by kate harvey | Report as abusive

Thank God for Barack Obama!

Posted by Rita | Report as abusive

Finally! A Knife in the backs of Rove, Bush and Cheney – and the entire Republican platform that has sold America for a buck. Obama was an attack dog and I say let him keep on biting at their feet legs arms and more!The Republican Era of lies and phony patriorism is OVER!

Posted by John | Report as abusive

I think its funny to read the negative comments that people post about Obama and the reason why they won’t vote for him. The truth is the only reason they will not vote for Obama is becasue they are closet racists. They will use any right wing talking point to justify their reasoning and keep the truth hidden in the closet along side their skeletons.

Posted by dem o crat | Report as abusive

Obama,sympathized and empathized what most of us are going through in today’s society. Most African American women’s are raising their children alone. By having Obama as president, maybe some of our African American men’s would believe again that they can be something in life and that we are no longer living in a white man world. A strong percentage of our AA men’s are locked up and they still have a hard time getting a job after being released from jail or prison. In a way, the white man or white world is still punishing us after when did time for the crime.

Posted by Mary | Report as abusive

After November Obama will be offered the Presidency of Kool-Aid, he has enough people drinking it.

Posted by Nick | Report as abusive

Obama is an empty suit, all show and no go. If he had a resume he’d be dangerous. Business is the engine that runs this country but he believes it’s government, I hope he has a plan to give all of us government jobs after he taxes us out of the ones we have in the private sector.

Posted by Mike D | Report as abusive

Obama, plays on ignorance, lies to your emotions, and hasnt a clue as to what to do. The Dims dont care about the U.S., only about their own elitist mores. And the uninformed, CNN-watchers are hanging on every word. Thank God, that intelligent, educated people are the ones who actually vote. Carter messed the U.S. up for years. Obama is dumber and more dangerous. But the Reps will put the right people into the White House.

Posted by luke | Report as abusive

Much rhetoric. Grand display of emotionlism, but no real substance. Can you really trust your emotions? Experience says you can’t.

Posted by strategist | Report as abusive

One of the most hollow, vapid preambles to a promised Second Coming of The Great Society-as-Nanny-State as one is ever likely to witness; a mind-numbing thicket of contradictions and pie-in-the-sky promises. Eric Hoffer would have been proud of the frothing-at-the-mouth True Believers who packed that stadium and ate up Obama’s empty rhetoric like the good little Socialists that they are. What a charade.

Posted by KGC | Report as abusive

Posted by strategist | Report as abusive

He’s promising a lot of things. However i think he can get things done. McCain has no chance of winning. If Bush couldn’t do it right what makes Republicans think that McCain will do better. But the votes haven’t been tallied so a lot is still left to be said by both parties.

Posted by Isaac | Report as abusive

This is what what going on inside Obama’s head:”I promise X, I promise Y, and i promise to bring the second coming of the Messiah. Hey…. wait a minute, I AM Christ”Obama is full of himself.

Posted by Chuck | Report as abusive

To all the lunatics that would vote for Macain after last night …lets hope you don’t succeed for not only will you have to live with the consequences but the rest of the world will have to live with your stupidity.

Hey, John Ware… one man’s “stupidity” is another man’s “intelligence.” We’re fine living with the consequences of a smart choice, and so will every other thinking man and woman in this country. You and your Great Society collectivist buddies don’t count, so see if you can’t just stay out of the way, alright?

Posted by KGC | Report as abusive

A historic, moving speech was made by Obama last night. The camera shots of the audience revealed how much this man touches people and brings them hope. It will be a good thing for this country. I for one felt uplifted.Now McCain has chosen this assertive, moose-killing woman from Alaska as his running mate! That should turn off a lot of Republican men (except, of course, the NRA nuts.)

Posted by Chuck in California | Report as abusive

With Gov. Palin selected–McCain wants to cash-in on the female Democrates who might have been hurt by not having Hillary on the ticket to represent the women for one. Two, McCain is trying to establish his ‘new image’ as not being Bush’s twin by making a choice of having gone out on the limb ‘…and OMG, he selected a Woman!’…and young at that! To Contrast: Old, Black, Gender–McCain, we can see right through you– Say it with me. I am just like Bush, I am just like Bush, I am just like Bush.

Posted by Art in LA | Report as abusive

Americans a people with big influence on speaches, but no real solutions or programs, just impresion like the germans spoked about US elections, all the candidates till now had good speaches, but none of them direct eficient solutions, do they think that american people is all about impressionism and manipulation with small talk and big words?

Posted by Burca Alice Larisa | Report as abusive

Interesting to select Palin as VP by McCain. O’Bama has not, That i can Find, ever finished anything. So why now. I was really worrie about the succession of either candidate. But like the Republican better. Quite a shsaking up of the old tree.

Posted by Tom | Report as abusive