Tales from the Trail

McCain’s VP pick Palin draws boos when mentioning Hillary Clinton

August 31, 2008

WASHINGTON, Pa. – So maybe saying nice things about Hillary Clinton at a Republican rally isn’t such a good idea.

John McCain’s new vice presidential nominee, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, acknowledged the New York senator on Saturday when reflecting on her new found role as a national candidate.

The reaction from a large chunk of the audience: boos.

“I think as well today of two other women who came before me in national elections, and I can’t begin this great effort without honoring the achievements of Geraldine Ferraro back in 1984 and of course, Senator Hillary Clinton,” Palin said.

palin2.jpgBoo. Boo. Boo.

So much for trying to win over disaffected Clinton supporters. They, apparently, are not turning up to McCain-Palin rallies.

But no matter. The Alaska governor breezed on with a nod to her own historic bid, in Clinton’s wake.

“It was rightly noted in Denver this week that Hillary left 18 million cracks in the highest, hardest glass ceiling in America,” she said. “But thankfully, as it turns out, the women of America aren’t finished yet, and the voters will shatter that glass ceiling once and for all.”

The McCain campaign has made a concerted effort to win over Clinton backers who were upset at her loss in the Democratic primary to Illinois Sen. Barack Obama.

Palin’s presence on the ticket puts the mother of five in line to make history as the first female U.S. vice president if she and McCain beat Obama and his running mate, Delaware Sen. Joe Biden, in the Nov. 4 election.

Photo credit: Reuters/John Gress (Palin campaigns in Washington)

Comments
183 comments so far | RSS Comments RSS

she brings a reputation of reform to the table. she’s known for “cleaning house” in her own state. she seems efficient, hates wasteful spending, & doesn’t put up with corruption! As a VP, hopefully she could do her magic in washington!

Posted by carrie | Report as abusive

good call guys !
Jenni

Posted by Jenni | Report as abusive

I think she is a fantastic choice.

From all the negative posts on here the Democrats are hard at work. They hate the fact that The First Woman to break that Glass is going to be a Republican Woman with morals.

Posted by carmen | Report as abusive

***well, at least I think she’d try to do somthing about the killing off our own babies by the millions!***

Well said Carrie and I whole heartedly agree.

Posted by carmen | Report as abusive

Palin is anti-animal, anti-environment, anti-choice, anti-BIRTH CONTROL (The pill) is a member of a group of extreme Christians that would love to criminalize abortion and Birth control usage. She is NOT moderate in any way. She is a staunch conservative and member of NRA. She is into big oil. She is Bad for women. Bad for America. McCain is also anti-choice and birth control. Plus he does not support equal pay for women. That combo does not look good at all. I am a woman and some these issues are important part of reproductive health care. These two do NOT get my vote as a woman.

Posted by jodi | Report as abusive

What do you think she could do about abortion? Just because she did not have an abortion does not mean even as a VP she could do anything about Roe v. Wade or anyone\’s personal decision. She kept her pregnancy a secret for seven months, was she considering abortion? So what if she was, it had to be hard to bring someone into the world knowing that they will be saddled with severe probems in a harsh world. Would she be saddling her other children after her death with a huge responsibility and hardship. Maybe she feels responsible for his disability because of her advanced age for having a child. None of this is easy or a reason to vote for someone. Also, anyone who thinks a VP can change congress just because they stood-up to a couple of \”good ol boys\” in Alaska is being unrealistic. That would be like saying I was a star football player in highschool so now I am going to be a star in the NFL. The VP has one vote and little influence if they are an unknown, the President will have a hard time changing congress even if he is in the party of the majority. Congress is hard to change, it will be hard for Obama, Biden and McCain all of them Senators with much more experience on the big stage, much less Palin. Be careful what you believe

although I’d prefer to let the bears live (unless I was hungry, desperately needed something warm, or had a threatening home intrusion), keep our land beautiful & rich, and see less war, I definitely have a problem with killing off our own babies by the millions (and any potential leader who doesn’t get – or have the guts to explain – how/when babies are made! ) I like Palin – we need more like her in washington to clean house. (and for those of you who are worried about money & can grasp the economy, oil & tax issues: who knows what kind of change she’d find in the couch cushions!)

I don’t know where Palin stands on “the pill”, but I do know that it can keep a fertilized egg from implanting (which tells us all why some people would have a problem with it). Maybe this seems “radical” to some, but if they believe life begins at conception, then they just do & they should have a problem with killing it.

Posted by carrie | Report as abusive

what can she do about it? talk about it. encourage women not to do it. educate women on the horrible side-effects – both physically & emotionally. light a fire for some of us women who can’t believe we’ve let this go on for so long, but don’t know how to make a difference! believe me, Stan, she can make a difference.

Posted by carrie | Report as abusive

I think picking Palin is brilliant. I have been a Democrat all my life just as my parents were. However, I would not pick Obama. I believe Obama shot himself in the foot when he didn’t pick Clinton as his VP. That choice would have been brilliant. He stood a higher chance of winning with Clinton as VP. Hillary Clinton has so much to offer this country.

I believe Obama makes promises he can not possibly keep once he is in office. He speaks of change but not once have I heard how he plans on making change. It sounds like a lot of hot air to me. He listed many many promises. I am afraid he does not understand administration especialy the United States government and how it works.

I am a highly educated man and will probably be voting a split ticket this year. I also believe that McCain is a veteran and can support the VA which needs support from Washington desperately. I too am a veteran and proud of that. I believe we need a president that will recognize and support all veterans despite what war they fought in. The Vietnam veterans took a beating forty years ago and are still taking that same beating today. They are forgotten by this country.

Picking Palin is a sound decision that will put a women in the white house which is long over do. In reading Palins background, she sounds like a no nonsense person who has excellent leadership skills. She sounds like a person that makes decisons with much forthought and compassion taking all views into consideration. If McCain were to die in office, I believe Palin is more than ready to assume the responsbility of the President. She is a very bright women and I believe would make an excellent president if that were the case.

America its time for change and I believe the McCain Palin ticket is the true change that this country needs not a lot of hot air and what sounds like promises that Obama would not be able to keep without a plan.

Posted by Joseph | Report as abusive

I gotta say 1 thing about the Republican party….”loyal to a fault”. They would find nothing wrong about any of McCain’s choices whether it be an inexperienced anti-abortion, pro-oil, anti-environment running mate or a hot hockey MILF. How could you back up McCain after such an obvious ploy? It speaks volumes about how desperate the McCain party is. There is no comparison between her and Hillary. There is no comparison between her and Obama. There is no comparison between her and Biden. I would not mind any of those three in office, however I would not even want to think of either McCain or Palin in the Oval office. ……Wake up Republicans!!! Quit being such sheep and get that wool off your eyes.

Posted by masa | Report as abusive

Read the comments above. This country is tearing itself apart. Sad.

Posted by AlaskaBob | Report as abusive

I have read each comment thoughtfully and am mortified at how a Hillary-supporter can even THINK of voting for McCain. As a tried-and-true GOP member, who did vote for Bush…twice…I am not ashamed to admit that because I can also admit I have educated myself and have learned from my mistakes. This is not about being a man or a woman, this is about stopping the train wreck of the executive branch of our government assuming powers of authority that smacks of a monarchial society and tramples the ideals of those brave men before us…Madison, Jefferson…to name a few. It is shocking to think my brethern, who are blessed to live in what is the greatest free and just human experiment, will mire themselves in the obvious presentational theater of the campaign. Palin…a novice who was picked for her gender and neo-conservative ideals. Palin should be insulted to be McCain’s choice…and how dare she compare herself to Hillary Clinton…I have NEVER trusted Hillary…but one thing is for sure…she is as tenacious as they come and she works her hind-end off…whether self-motivated or altruistic. Remember children…it is not the name on the brass plate in the Oval Office that is the concern…it is whether that name will strike every WH Executive Order that has come down the pike in the last eight years to return the balance of power in our great nation.

Posted by ECM | Report as abusive

It’s funny the arguement Palin compared to Obama/Biden is no executive experience. Yet if that’s the case, McCain also falls into that category. Funny how that works.

Also, since when does the amount of land a state has determine how difficult it is to govern? I would think the population of a state would determine the larger amount of issues due to diverse social issues.

I mean the entire population of Alaska is less then Memphis, TN.

http://www.city-data.com/states/Alaska-P opulation.html:
“Alaska, with a land area one-fifth the size of the conterminous US, ranked 47th in population in 2002 with an estimated total of 643,786, an increase of 2.7% since 2000. Between 1990 and 2000, Alaska’s population grew from 550,043 to 626,932, or 14%.

Population projections for 2005 reach 700,000, and the state is projected to have a population of 885,000 by 2025. Regions of settlement and development constitute less than 1% of Alaska’s total land area. The population density was 1.1 persons per sq mi in 2000, making Alaska the nation’s most sparsely settled state.”

Posted by Daniel | Report as abusive

I have to question the love the mother of 5 which include a handicapped child has for her childern when she runns for this of any public office. How much time will she have to devote to eith here children of the office…

For a party that espouses equal pay, equal rights I am sure hearing a lot of “how can a mother love her children and still do this” from Democrats. I haven’t heard anyone questioning Obama’s love for his daughters. You can’t have it both ways.

Posted by Marla Mason | Report as abusive

I agree with Alaska Bob. As a fairly young voter it is a little disheartening to read all of this. I’ve never done any of this blogging but came upon this link earlier today. It seems to me that everyone just rushes to judgement based on a little piece of info they heard and they get so ugly about it.

One of the things both parties seem to be pushing about their candidates is their bipartisanship. Bipartisanship is great, but how can we expect the candidates to display any when we don’t. Everything here is so hateful, name-calling and judgemental. Even if I don’t agree with everything Obama, McCain, Palin, Bush, Biden, or anyone believes I can be respectful of their beliefs. I’m not completely naive, but I still believe many people seek office with good intentions and I think anyone who rises to the level of these offices deserves some respect.

We’ve had 2 years to get to know Obama and McCain well, perhaps we should give Palin more than 48 hours before we decide who she is, what she is, that she is an insult to Hillary, or should be insulted. (By the way, Hillary is very determined, smart and hard-working – exactly the same things I keep reading about Palin)

Posted by Marla Mason | Report as abusive

All those “insulted” Hillary supporters had better get their heroine out there blasting Palin herself, or it’s going to be all over, not just for the Democrats this year, but for Hillary herself when Palin crushes her in ’12, and then for feminism when Palin does all she can to reduce it to nothing but breaking glass ceilings and eliminates Roe and every other feminist value, except for career advancement. Palin combines everything lower-class white women love: Helen Hunt’s heroic motherhood in As Good As It Gets, with Sandra Bullock’s spunk and niceness in Miss Congeniality, with Julian Roberts’ chesty, righterous feistiness for the little people in Erin Brockovich. The Roves who hired Palin get this. They know they’ve got the perfect woman to put a stake through the Wellesley/Yale/gazillionaire hypocritical elitist Hillary, who only played Annie Oakley on TV to con the woman rubes. Palin IS Annie Oakley. She makes the populist appeal of Reagan look like nothing, especially since Reagan had nothing going for him to compare with Palin’s selling herself as the ultimate “champion” of the average working WOMAN. Too bad, NARAL, NOW, and Emily’s List, but you guys were just decapitated so quickly and deftly, you’ve barely noticed yet. I write all this as a liberal Democrat.

Posted by jeanrenoir | Report as abusive

Palin saves millions of babies from death? But will send troops into a war that was a lie and in the process. Many Pro lifers are also pro war death, pro death penailty with no support of social programs that really do help the needy. The GOP stands for greed and the wealthy, not Gods party. Obama Biden

Obama’s children are being raised by their mother… ms. Palin’s children are going to be raised either by the snowmobile racer or, as typical of the Neo’s … out sourcing

Posted by jim | Report as abusive

So interesting that the latest CNN poll shows that MEN like Palin better than women do. The guys clearly lust after their first VPILF, a factor not clouding women’s judgment.

Posted by jeanrenoir | Report as abusive

Palin wouldn’t make a good mole on Hillary’s asterisk.
I hope Hillary comes out loud and strong against this kind of crap.

Posted by Paula | Report as abusive

When I think of the choosing of Sarah Palin for the Vice Presidency of the United States of America, I still seem to think that this is a joke from John McCain. He is soon going to appear on the Jay Leno Show and announce that is is just a gag. It is just John McCain being humorous.

John McCain has put the security of a nation and the well being of the world at risk in order to try to win an election.
It is tragic to abandon a political party because of one self-centered irresponsible decision. But no American that loves this country will vote to make Sarah Palin the Vice President of the United States.
Never in my life have I felt so disgusted by a political choice.

Posted by Helen Boyer | Report as abusive

One wrote, “I’m insulted that McCain thinks hat because he picks a woman, any woman, Hillary supporters are going to vote for him. How dare he?”

But, Palin is not just “any woman” — she is an accomplished woman with solid, conservative values. She is a bold executive making decisions which benefited those she governed.

She makes a perfect VP and offers more leadership experience than the Democratic presidential pick. Alongside McCain, these two will be a positive change and NOT “more of the same” as Obama would like to charge. Palin will one day be our 1st female President!

Posted by Vaughn Hopson | Report as abusive

I am trying to connect a woman/mother of five children, the youngest born only four months ago, with significant special needs to Republican family values. As a working mom myself, there is no way, I was back at work three days after I gave birth, nor would I engage in a National Campaign that will be a 24/7 endeavor. I totally disapprove of Sarah Palin. There are many more qualified and competent Republican women that his campaign could have chosen. This too extreme and too transparent.

Posted by debra Dassow | Report as abusive

I am a former Democrate that will be voting for McCain/Palin. I think that Gov Palin is an excellent joice for VP. She does have experience and a proven record of getting things done. That’s more that we can say about Obama. He has nothing but rhetoric.

Texas PUMA!

Posted by J | Report as abusive

I’m not a rabid pro-lifer but… can you really not see the difference between death by abortion and death through war and death penalty?

Posted by Marla Mason | Report as abusive

McCain and Obama probably both had nannies, they are not a republican invention. And what do you know about snowmachine racers. Are they all horrible fathers! Wow..does anyone think about what they say and how it comes across.

Posted by Marla Mason | Report as abusive

o lord, john mccain. thank you for this gift. obama will definetly win the election come november now. you really are looking out for country first with this vp pick. made it so much easier for my future president obama to win now. thank you so much. god bless you. word of advise mccain keep listening to karl rove. gotta love it.

Posted by the worker | Report as abusive

The only thing your decisions should be based on are the issues. Sarah Palin and John Mccain have a completely different take on the issues than the Democratic ticket. If you are ok to take away a woman’s right to choose, if you are ok with teaching creationism in school,with removing protections for endangered animals in order to drill for oil, with ignoring global warming, with continuing the war in the Iraq, and with teaching abstinence without offering protection/birth control then Sarah and John are for you. Just please stop pretending this is about experience or race or sex. If you agree with the Republican agenda, admit it.

Posted by Janet | Report as abusive

McCain is either senile or an idiot. I was more than a bit worried about the prospect of another 4 years of Republican rule, but actually had to laugh with relief when the news of his choice for running mate was released. I’m wondering if deep down he really doesn’t want to assume the Presidency. At any rate, he’s done now and the world can breath a sigh of relief. There really is a god!

Posted by Michael | Report as abusive

I know that the Republicans would never admit how shocked they were by Sarah Palin being picked. What a joke! That party can do no wrong, according to the Republicans. No, Dems are not perfect either but wake up people!! Just look at how the last eight years have been! Absolutely terrible. Do we need more of the same? NO WAY! Only the wealthy and spoiled have flourished under Bush/Cheney. People are losing their homes left and right, kids can barely afford to go to college now so they take on two jobs just to get by, people can’t pay their bills no matter how many hours they work, people can’t afford to fill their gas tank up, we are in a war that the Republicans don’t want to end etc.. Need I go on? I think WE all know what it going on in this country and we need CHANGE! Do not fear Obama just because he doesn’t fit the typical pedigree. He’ll be a great President. I would also like to mention that the American spirit has gone away. Americans are so down and stressed that we are not even close to the country that we once were and I do believe that we can be again if Barack/Biden win! I respect John McCain and I think he is a decent man, but he has voted with Bush 95% of the time, wants to continue the Bush policies, continue this war, doesn’t want an increase on minimum wage, no equal pay for women, no coverage for birth control but coverage for viagra is fine, doesn’t support the public schools etc…and then he picks a woman who does not want to teach evolution in the schools, doesn’t want a woman to get an abortion even if she is raped or it’s incest, doesn’t want to protect the environment or animals, wants to drill in the heart of the Alaska Wildlife Refuge etc…It’s time for something different! McCain/Palin is just too much to even think about it. Everyone should be voting for Obama/Biden. How can any person want more of the same? 8 years is ENOUGH! McCain’s last ditch attempt to steal the Hillary voters isn’t going to work. I’m sorry folks, but Mrs.Palin is not Hillary Clinton, the two can’t even be compared. I think the Clinton voters will understand in the end that another 4 or 8 years of the same will only be bad for them in the end and support Obama. OBAMA/BIDEN 08!

Posted by A tired worker... | Report as abusive

I am a republican, and I have a simple question….Who will be raising her little ones while she is in the White House???

Posted by pamela | Report as abusive

I had a thought I wanted to share with you. Last night Rob and I went out to dinner. We began talking about the elections. He said that he was afraid that McCain was going to win, even though he really wants for Obama to win. Lately, I have had several similar conversations with other people who felt the same way. The thought occurred to me that many people are suffering from cynicism, built up over decades of disappointment. People are afraid to hope. They’re afraid to believe. They believe that they will be hurt again and that it is less painful to presume that things won’t work out; that we can’t elect a president like Obama and we can’t have a better America. Some people are afraid to believe in the most important thing Obama has to offer: Hope. That is at the core of why the McCain’s and Bushes win, because people give up. They say what the hell, I won’t vote, because it won’t change anything. Hope for a better tomorrow is the only thing we have. If we don’t believe there can be a better future, there won’t be a better future. Obama needs our hope, belief and help to begin to bring about change. We, Americans need to believe again.

Posted by wade | Report as abusive