Tales from the Trail

McCain’s VP pick Palin draws boos when mentioning Hillary Clinton

August 31, 2008

WASHINGTON, Pa. – So maybe saying nice things about Hillary Clinton at a Republican rally isn’t such a good idea.

John McCain’s new vice presidential nominee, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, acknowledged the New York senator on Saturday when reflecting on her new found role as a national candidate.

The reaction from a large chunk of the audience: boos.

“I think as well today of two other women who came before me in national elections, and I can’t begin this great effort without honoring the achievements of Geraldine Ferraro back in 1984 and of course, Senator Hillary Clinton,” Palin said.

palin2.jpgBoo. Boo. Boo.

So much for trying to win over disaffected Clinton supporters. They, apparently, are not turning up to McCain-Palin rallies.

But no matter. The Alaska governor breezed on with a nod to her own historic bid, in Clinton’s wake.

“It was rightly noted in Denver this week that Hillary left 18 million cracks in the highest, hardest glass ceiling in America,” she said. “But thankfully, as it turns out, the women of America aren’t finished yet, and the voters will shatter that glass ceiling once and for all.”

The McCain campaign has made a concerted effort to win over Clinton backers who were upset at her loss in the Democratic primary to Illinois Sen. Barack Obama.

Palin’s presence on the ticket puts the mother of five in line to make history as the first female U.S. vice president if she and McCain beat Obama and his running mate, Delaware Sen. Joe Biden, in the Nov. 4 election.

Photo credit: Reuters/John Gress (Palin campaigns in Washington)

Comments
183 comments so far | RSS Comments RSS

Just another example of the Republicans and cronyism. Same old — Same old

Posted by BerrSD | Report as abusive

LOL! Miss Mooseburger better get used to talking to the GOP “base.” They really ARE base all right!

Whenever I hear her I think of Miss Teen NC….”many US Americans don’t HAVE maps!”

Posted by Katie | Report as abusive

No one has said that Palin has a lot of executive experience, just more that Obama, Biden, and for that matter, McCain. And it isn’t just how much experience, it is what she has done with it.

In less than 2 years Palin has passed a fair tax increase for big oil in Alaska (many of these companies are foreign or previous American companies who have incorporated offshore to avoid paying US taxes) that is based on profit. You know, sort of like tax brackets, a system all “regular” Americans must abide by. With this legislation when oil prices are inflated Alaska, the owner of the resource, also benefits. Not just Big Oil. And Palin is distributing the extra revenue to Alaskans, who she considers the real owners of the resource. Palin has managed to regain Alaska’s sovereign right to regulate our own resources.

She has also managed to negotiate and push through a 40 billion dollar gas line that our prior legislators, with almost 50 terms of experience in Congress, Senate and the Gov. mansion, couldn’t do. Thats 50 TERMS, not 50 years. (Probably because they were too busy with their legal defenses). Sometimes experience isn’t everything. Murkowski, Young and Stevens had messed around with SGDA for almost 10 years and it was a fishy deal that was made hand-in-hand with the oil companies. Palin put a stop to that.

If Palin is 1/10th as good for the US as she has been for Alaska it will be enough to justify voting for her.

Posted by Marla Mason | Report as abusive

I was once a proud Reagan Republican. For years we heard about the “tax and spend” liberals in Washington, and I was convinced as I changed from Democrat to Republican and supported Republicans every election cycle since. However the last 8 years have been a disaster. For almost 6 of those years, the once fiscally conservative party controlled the White House and the Congress, and we saw the party that once chastised the “tax and spend” liberals, acted like drunken sailors, with a new slogan “don’t tax but spend like crazy”.

I am convinced, it doesn’t matter how much of a “Maverick” McCain or Palin may try to be, the problem is the Congress–and until the Republicans experience a political “blood bath”, they have become just as bad as the other party. This party must regain its soul and the philosophy of Ronald Reagan, and until they demonstrate this through actions and not words, they will no longer get my vote.

Posted by JW | Report as abusive

Nobody, nobody has mentioned the fact that Ms. palin had a baby and went back to work 3 days after the birth. What kind of a mother can handle 5 children and presume to take on the 2nd biggest job in the world?
Who will be bring up her children I ask the family foundations? I do not begrudge her the right to work, just wonder about her priorities.
A beauty queen always wants to be on stage.

Gov. Palin may have executive experience but she governs less than 700,000 people in Alaska how does that compare to 300,000,000

Posted by Eli | Report as abusive

mcclain opposes everything clinton supports. e.g., clinton supports obama.

the comments here by mcclain mouthpieces claiming to have been clinton supporters are transparent lies.

Posted by peg dash fab | Report as abusive

I would be surprised if some where along the line she steps down stating possibly that due to not being able to care for her child with downs syndrome that she will not be able to take continue on the ticket. At least that will be the excuse, something on long those lines. When in all actuality McCain will figure out that she is the wrong choice and have to pick someone else late in the game.

Come people to think this is going to work you have to be stark raving nuts. Sarah Palin is no Hillary Clinton.

I can see her debating Biden, the first time she brings up Hillary Clinton, Biden’s reply “I know Hillary Clinton, and your no Hillary”. I am trying to remember was that said by Quayle at the Quayle/Kemp debate?

Posted by mike | Report as abusive

Wow, I have not seen a more pathetic ploy for votes in my life. The motavation behind this is clear. The McCain camp is hoping to swing women voters.

It implies that women are easily manipulated.

It implies that women who support Hillary Clinton only do so based her gender.

It implies that the only issue women care about is the glass ceiling.

It seems to me that Republicans will do anything to win an election. They have to. Their policies are generally not in the best interest of the average American. So they hide behind these cheap ploys time and time again.

Posted by Ben C | Report as abusive

Senator Grandpa McShame is going down in flames again — only this time, the old fool did it to himself. Governor Palin is simply the latest in his unbroken series of bad judgments since he walked away from his “maverick” credentials in order to run for president against George Dumber’nyuh Butch eight years ago. His campaign this year is a principle-free zone, devoid of substance and filled with nothing but the ambition of yet another underachieving son of a famous family who’s never done anything on his own for his entire adult life and still feels himself capable of — and seemingly entitled to — leading an entire country.

Like our current president, the (very) senior Senator from Arizona was admitted to a prestigious school (in his case, the U.S. Naval Academy) on account of his family’s reputation and influence. After graduating near the bottom of his class, his father again intervened to get him into Naval Aviation, one of the most coveted assignments in the Navy. He never displayed the warrior ethos and work ethic expected of a fighter pilot and was demoted to the slower, easier to fly attack planes, was involved in multiple wrecks, and finally shot down and imprisoned in Vietnam.

Of course, the only thing we hear about his military service is what he endured at the hands of his captors. We all honor him for that ordeal, but literally hundreds of other U.S. servicemen survived similar experiences and none of us take those experiences as qualification for political office.

I won’t go into his mediocre military record after repatriation or his despicable treatment of his first wife and their children while courting the bottle blonde beer heiress whose inherited money has financed his long career in Washington. Instead, I’ll simply ask: even without having made the ludicrous choice of Governor Palin as his running mate, does anyone truly believe this only marginally intelligent son of privilege and marrier of money possesses the personal integrity, judgment, and temperament to hold an office in which he would literally hold the fate of our country and our world in the balance? I know I don’t, and I can’t imagine that any sincerely patriotic American could!

In short, this guy barely even qualifies as the “good soldier” of his overstated “POW” public image, let alone the sort of thoughtful, forceful and wise national leader these trying times demand!

Posted by Bruce | Report as abusive

Well first off she comes from a state of less than 700,000 people. She was elected primarily from the city she is from which is a very conservative area Wallisa population around 7700 people. She was almost impeached in her city. She is already under investigation for abuse of powers. They say and I not use but that her latest child is actually her grandchild. State of Alaska is large but not very populated. I don’t think you can be a good VP with a handicap child. Something will have to give. I couldn’t support that. McCain is 72 and picking Palin already shows bad judgement. I don’t have anything against personally. Obama at least has ran a campaign 18 months and has done it well. No matter what you think of Obama he has earned the right. McCain put his election over country. He has no right to criticize Obama saying he would rather win an election than win a war. McCain showed his ambition first over country first.

Posted by ANNA | Report as abusive

In regards to who will take care of the children, why not Todd? He’s done a fine job for the past two years. I thought open minded people accepted the idea of a man taking a larger role in the day to day family responsibilities.

Or are Obama, Biden and McCain terrible fathers because they are running for high office?

Posted by Marla Mason | Report as abusive

And, I might add, the beauty queen comment sounded a bit bitter. I know for a fact that the Miss Alaska pageant paid for her college education (and that she was way more into sports than beauty pageants). I am a tomboy who got my college scholarships raising cattle and riding horses but my sister was a Alaska Jr Miss 1st runner up, got a 4 year scholarship and her degree, teaches Jr. High and was the Nevada Teacher of the Year last year. Don’t begrudge people their accomplishments.

Posted by Marla Mason | Report as abusive

This is such exciting political times! It’s thrilling and refreshing that the GOP made history and picked a well experienced executive – a woman – Sarah Palin. America has been screaming for a woman in high political position, and Palin is an excellent choice. No more Clinton drama and abuse of power here!!!

McCain made the best political decision yet!! Go McCain and Palin!!!

Posted by VenusVenus | Report as abusive

To all those who are considering McCain/Palin think about your daughters and grand daughters. If god forbid a woman is raped then they will be forced to bring that child to term. A life sentence do you really want that for your daughters or granddaughters. Use your heads people do not be fooled by a pretty face and a senile old man

Posted by LeLe | Report as abusive

I know McCain has a fondness for ex-beauty queens, but did he have to find one who doesn’t believe global warming is man-made and wants to teach creationism in school? This woman is the anti-Hillary, against every policy Hillary proposes. Logically, no one could support both for office without having their head explode. The only thing they seem to have in common is uncommon ambition, but even Hillary didn’t choose to run for vice-president with a special-needs infant at home or return to work three days after giving birth. (Wait until she applies that logic to everyone: hey, I did it, who needs 12 weeks leave?). She apparently takes the baby to work with her now, but I strongly suspect she won’t be advocating this for anyone else. Elitism at its finest.

Posted by Sandy | Report as abusive

I thought the “First Dude” worked on the North Slope as an oil worker for BP and also ran a fishing service (not sure of that). Does he do full time parenting as well? I am not aware of that. Bravo to him if he does all threes.
I would never begrudge anyone their accomplishments, but there is a certain personality that likes to be on stage at a beauty pageant. And that desire to be the center of attention continues.I am happy for her that it paid her college education.
I don’t want to see her on center stage running the USA when she knows virtually nothing about the rest of the world.

I would be interested to know what city and state all those who keep pointing out how small Alaska and Wasilla are from? I’d love to compare employment rates, foreclosure rates, crime rates, economic security and overall quality of life measures with them. Alaska’s population may be small, but the issues are the same and must be dealt with. How many other states have been managed in a way that year after year there are budget surpluses. That surpluses are put into well legislated and managed funds where principal is left untouched and dividends are paid to citizens. How many states have disbursed energy assistance checks to all citizens in the amount of $1200 to help offset energy costs? Anybody…

Posted by Marla Mason | Report as abusive

Oh Yeah, I forgot. No state income tax!

Posted by Marla Mason | Report as abusive

This is not about Hillary… This is about the Republican Base from Evangelicals to Rush and Hannity. This pic was about me, an Conservative!

I’m a Canadian, and we are sitting up here wondering WHAT IS GOING ON down south of the border? This is crazy. First you have O & H beating up on each other for the better part of a year, just so one of them can move on to another slugfest. And now, you have someone who could very well be president one day (and I don’t mean this November) getting parachuted out of Nowhere (and we all know what was the principal motivating factor in her selection). This is nuts!

Posted by MacKenzie River | Report as abusive

The GOP is hoisted on its own rhetorical pitard — if Palin has more executive experience (very very shallow at best — a mayor who conducts council meetings and acts as a ceremonial head for a very small town plus 20 months as a Governor of one of the smallest states population-wise in the nation) than Obama or Biden then it is obvious that she also has more executive experience that McCain!! However, I would make the case that Obama has demonstrated superb executive ability over the last 18 months in terms of how successfully he has headed an extraordinary national campaign.

Posted by Gallows Frame | Report as abusive

All I can say is that the leaders in Beijing and Moscow are laughing till they wet their pants. She is the least qualified candidate for the office in recent history. Experienced executive? How often has Citicorp or Walmart picked a branch manager as the CEO? This is a truly pathetic choice. McCain chided Osama for being willing to loose a war to win an election. McCain is willing to loose this country to win an election. The fact that she accepted the position with her so inadequate background is a sad commentary on her poor judgement. Put it this way, if you were going to have brain surgery and I grabbed a person and said he/she has just graduated medical school but is a hard worker…would you say OK? Sometimes a little real experience that directly applies is something that makes sense. I sure does here.

Posted by ERIK | Report as abusive

Shoot wolves from planes. BTW she did support the “Bridge to Nowhere”. Check the facts.
I lived in NH for 10 years. No sales tax, no income tax, HUGH property taxes, poor schools.
We have problems in California, no doubt, but our population is about 38 million.
Let me see: I was president of carious PTA’s for probably 10 years in total, sat on our Recreaction and recycling commisions, ran for Mayor in Arizona, worked as an RN for 43 years, and have run my own businesses for at leat 10 years, helping the elderly and impoverished.
Maybe I should enter the race…….

Just for a little levity… I think we can all agree based that politicians certainly are not brain surgeons!

Posted by Marla Mason | Report as abusive

I think Sarah Palin is a suitable choice.

Posted by Ogbewi Dennis Osasere | Report as abusive

The republicans continue to show their lack of respect for basic american rights by selecting Palin they demonstrates that their platform is to promote conservative values at the cost of american values.

Posted by carol | Report as abusive

If Ms Palin is the trump card for the GOP to the whole Abortion argument. Then the answering argument is quite simple.

The GOP held all three branches of the Federal Government in unison for 6 years…but did nothing about Roe vs. Wade. If this is the “moral” imperative that it get’s lips flapping about then why wasn’t anything done in 6 whole years?

Abortion is a non-issue for the GOP. It’s just a means to divide and conquer. If the Pro-Lifer’s want a real candidate to do something…they should vote for Barack Obama because he, at least, is motivated to reduce Abortions. The GOP won’t do anything as they have nothing else to run on.

Posted by SWMissouri | Report as abusive

My comments regarding Alaska’s management has less to do with supporting Palin or McCain, or Obama and Biden, and more to do with people throwing opinions out so quickly without knowing much about what they are saying. My gut tells me I like Palin, but of course I am concerned with her experience. Obama’s as well. Haven’t entirely decided what I think yet. but I am gathering facts, not calling anyone names or disregarding someone who I never heard of 2 days ago as a beauty queen, a joke, a pretty face, someone who is going to quit, etc.

I checked the “facts” (which by the way can be hard to come across because I seem to find disparate facts on all 4 candidates all over the place, it’s going to take me a while to sort through it) and yes it does appear that Palin was going to accept the BTN funding. And there are other controversies. Everyone of the 4 have their share.

As far as the wolf kill issue, I don’t consider it a national issue. Alaska game management is an Alaskan issue, just as NH or California game management is a state issue. I understand that someone who has not had the upbringing of hunting and subsistence survival may have a differing opinion on aerial wolf hunting than someone in rural Alaska. Trust me, someone in rural Alaska probably has differing opinions on dealing with local and state issues in LA, too!

Finally, perhaps you should run for higher office, you sound intelligent and caring. If you did I wouldn’t pass judgement on you within a 24 hour period of hearing of you like many of the people on this post have. (Although I must say people have done the same with Obama)

Posted by Marla Mason | Report as abusive

I was a huge Hillary Clinton supporter. I’ll admit it, it was hard to get over Senator Clinton losing the ticket, and I was leaning just for a moment to John McCain. Then I thought about the REAL issues that we, the middle class, are dealing with and we just can’t afford another FOUR years of the Bush policies. I have warmed up to Senator Obama and I am now backing him, strongly- along with many other Hillary women I have spoken to. This Sarah Palin pick is an insult to the Hillary supporters. We are not so stupid that we will jump ship because he put a woman on the ticket. A woman who is pro-life, a member of the NRA, does not want equal pay for women and so on. I’m sorry my friends, but Mrs.Palin is NO Hillary Clinton and don’t dare compare to two. We, the Dems, are now united. We know there is too much at stake to vote for Senator McCain. Barack Obama will do wonders for our Country. Do not buy the Republican fear card. He will keep us safe and he will be a great President. OBAMA/BIDEN 2008!!!

Posted by Sarah | Report as abusive

First, Mr. & Mrs. Reader…Mr. McCain chooses the governor of a state (to be VP) which has a population less than Mr. Biden’s Delaware (i.e., roughly 700,000 in Alaska v. 900,000 in Delaware)…and then Mr. McCain suspends the republican national convention that was set to begin Monday in Minnesota.

This could be two strokes of bad luck for the republican party that it may not recover from (as if it wasn’t in trouble already).

Actually, the convention was going to be a stroke of good luck at first. Messrs. Bush & Cheney weren’t going to be able to make it because of Hurricane Gustav. Now it looks like the two guys that Mr. McCain disdains the most will still have the opportunity to kick off the festivities in the Twin Cities anyway.

As I understand it, Mrs. Palin was the mayor of a town with a population 1% the size of the population of Alaska, i.e., a mere 7,000 (or less). Before that she was very big in the local PTA. Prior to that she was a local beauty queen. She also competed for Miss Alaska in 1984, but came in second to the winner (an African-American girl). Is this an omen perhaps?

Mrs. Palin was elected to the town council (before mayor) campaigning for a higher sales tax. That seems odd for a republican.

Even the nearest U.S. state to Alaska (Washington) has 5 million more people than Alaska. Even the smallest country in South America has a population 4.5 times that of Alaska.

The question is, what does all of this show about Ms. Palin?

Well…I think that it mainly shows that she is a big fish in a very small pond.

The second question is, what does this show about Mr. McCain?

Well…I think that he plans to use his vice president just as Mr. Nixon did (with Mr. Agnew), i.e., give Mrs. Palin an office and tell her to find something to do with her life between 2009 & 2013.

Apparently though, she doesn’t appear to be worried about this…although not long ago she said in so many words that she would not want a do-nothing job like that which Mr. McCain has planned for his vice president. On the other hand, she will be the proverbial heartbeat away from the presidency in a country of 300,000,000 people…that is a big jump out of her present very small pond.

And then there is Mrs. McCain. I wonder how she feels about all of this. After all, she is no longer the center of female attention surrounding Mr. McCain on the campaign trail. She doesn’t look very happy to me (i.e., in her photo at the McCain-Palin photo-op). Mrs. Palin is younger…and clearly more the superwoman than Mrs. McCain. After all, Mrs. Palin is a female jock (basketball player), outdoor sports enthusiast, riflewoman, mother of five children (apparently with none of the physical effects normally associated therewith), etc.

OK Jack

I am a strong Senator Clinton supporter and now I am a stong Senator Obama supporter. The choice of Mrs.Palin shows just how out of touch Senator McCain is to the American public and to women. Hillary Clinton supporters supported Senator Clinton because we share her views and her vision for America. We will not vote for an extention of President Bush (McSame) just because he threw a woman on his ticket in a last ditch effort to gain supporters. A woman who I might add has been a Govenor for just under two years and does not share our views. There is too much at stake here. We need a President who will lead us back to where we need to be. We need something new and something fresh and Senator McCain just doesn’t do it. This choice of Mrs.Palin will end up hurting Senator McCain in the end because anyone that was leaning to him (former Clinton supporters) will now throw their full support behind Senator Obama. I would also like to add that it was very irresponsible of Senator McCain to pick a VP who is a heartbeat away of being the President. How scary is it to think of Sarah Palin running our Country?? Senator McCain does not want equal pay for women, does not want to raise minimum wage etc. Is this someone who really understands the problems and issues the middle class is dealing with?

Posted by Michelle M | Report as abusive

Wasilla is not a huge town but it is the 4th largest city in Alaska and that is due to its huge growth under Sara Palin’s mayoral administration.

Posted by Marla Mason | Report as abusive

Sounds just like the gas tax holiday to me.

Posted by MYSTERIOUS | Report as abusive

Watching all this chaos across the Atlantic, i just want you morons to know that only McCain will be your next president, and you know why, we always get what we deserve in life.

Posted by European | Report as abusive

Come on people, let’s get real. If a male candidate would have had as shallow a resume as this Sarah Palin..he would not have even been considered. Nice try Schmidt…as a Republican, I will not even consider voting for John McCain.

Posted by James Finn | Report as abusive

I’d like to remind anyone who blames the Democrats in Congress for the present state of affairs that the Roadblock Republicans in the Senate — and Bush’s veto — have pretty much blocked any kind of real reform.

Palin appalls me. She goes to a Dominionist church, values the sperm of a rapist over a woman’s life and sanity, and probably thinks Armaggedon is a good idea. To have her a heartbeat away from being able to start a nuclear war would be disastrous.

Posted by CD | Report as abusive

“Come on people, let’s get real. If a male candidate would have had as shallow a resume as this Sarah Palin..he would not have even been considered.”

You mean someone like… Oh, I don’t know… someone like maybe Barack Obama?

Posted by D Patrick | Report as abusive

This was too stupid for Rove. This was more like a go with your gut, don’t bother me with details Bush move.

To think that a radical social conservative would appeal to Democrats or women in general is absurd. The same goes for Lieberman, who is so pro-Israel he became a traitor to his party. Once again, to think Democrats would vote for a neocon hawk is ridiculous.

But it may be that the lack of full vetting of Sarah Palin that may bite McBush in the bum. It’s said McCain goes with the last thing he hears from a member of his inner circle on his cell phone. Now that’s scary.

Posted by TruePatriot | Report as abusive

McPalin? Whatever happened to that Christine Todd Whitman or whatever? At least she was somewhat known. I can’t tell the mavericks apart. But then maybe we’re not supposed to.

I’ll keep holding on for Hillary.

Posted by recovering | Report as abusive

After what the GOP did to this country I am appalled that anyone would vote for them. Man wake up. Corruption that makes Bill look like a Boy Scout and Katrina, mismanaged, war mismanaged and we were lied to Tax breaks for the rich while Bush palys his fiddle and watches the middle class burn. And if us iberals go off on some like Palin….just a page out of your play book. Lies and smear tatics….Ask Rive who should be in jail. I am sick of the so called Christian right GOP who has taken the Gop to the gates of hell while hiding behind th bible

who the heck (regardless of experience) can truly “understand” the problems and issues of the middle class? having the pressure of saying “yes” or “no” to war can’t be the easiest task in the book for anyone! i’m for less corruption, scandals & respect for LIFE – which I believe will lead to more money in our pockets, justice & less death! If Bush is as corrupt as so many democrats want to imply, than a woman (or man) with qualities like Palin, could help “clean house” and make things better. I want leaders who I can trust to get to the bottom of “what’s really going on out there” handle these “overwhelming” decisions with wisdom, councel, integrity & love. another side note: I LOVE PALIN, but if for a moment I thought McCain chose her to get some Hillary fans on his side, I’d probably change my mind! (that’s the dumbest thing i’ve ever heard!) gender is about the ONLY thing I see they have in common. Whoever came up with this possible “McCain motive” for Palin, must have been pretty desperate! Maybe He just wanted to give us something “new and fresh” – untouched by the corrupt political agendas out there that continue to keep my head spinning in circles over “the truth”. I’d totally be a fan of Palin for President!

Posted by carrie | Report as abusive

sad after reading a few more takes on this blog, if McCain does win, the country will contimue to wallow in the past. We will have text books that say the world started 6,000 years ago we will have oil wells on MT Rushmore, wildlife will onlly be ib the Zoo, (Palin), and we will still be in Iraq. How can anyone who is a Bible thumper (Palin the Creationist) think it is ok to exploit our resoures at the cost of our national treaures? Drill drill drill is her motto. Hunters and Fiusherman out there…our best places are under fire from the GOP…wake up.

McCain kissed the religious fools butt…The choice was not maverick, Liberman would have been maverick. My God the GOP has so many qualified people…Palin please. McCVain you are old and have lost your way…MR Elitist

(in response to peter – implying palin’s a biblethumper, creationalist, who wants to kill off our animals and ruin our land”) well, at least I think she’d try to do somthing about the killing off our own babies by the millions!

Posted by carrie | Report as abusive

Finally I wised up and switched parties and I could not be happier. The choice of McCain was a very wise one and one that certainly will assure him a seat in the White house. When I watched part of Hussein Obama’s carefully scripted speech I was reminded once again of his unsavory background and his selective amnesia, and in his book when he decided at age 12 that he was going to be black.I am a foreigner but became a citizen 30 years ago because I am living in the best country in the world. Watching Keith Overbite and that other weasel Chris Matthews on MSNBC(democrat tv) and their ridiculous commentary made me want to puke. Gov. Palin actually has more REAL experience that Obama or Biden combined, and has none of the insecurities of either.( Tell Joe his plugs need to be redone so as at least to look credible. Obaqma and Biden are both rather shallow and very insecure at the moment with good reason , and now that Michelle loves this country again is a great relief. I can not wait to see Obama and McCain spar in a town hall format debate without any scripts on a one to one and we will ALL find out what an impostor and phony Obama is. I have enough change and do not need any more. As for health care like western europe and Canada they must thing every one is an idiot……..anyway not all the candidates are in place and lets see who wins. I still can not get over what a great choice McCain made. I still have to hear what N.O.W (The national association of ugly women) have to say, as well as those two other upstanding citizens and the voice of black America , Rev Al and Rev Jesse (two bona-fide losers)……….Keep smiling with the democrats in congress gas may get to $8 a gallon at least if Nancy has her way………Vote the educated ticket you will be glad you did.

Posted by Tony | Report as abusive

I don’t know much of Palin so I can’t say she isn’t the best choice. But to an American who has been following the campaign and is currently undecided, it seems like a very convenient choice to choose a woman with so many Hillary voters undecided. It just seems sneaky. Part of how we decide is who we trust. If after learning more about her, she doesn’t have strengths where McCain has weaknesses, and bring something significant to the table.. I’m going to be left feeling like he chose her based on gender. Sad to think thats a possibility.

Posted by Amy | Report as abusive

Ask yourself this one very important question: If (heaven forbid) McCain dies in office…is this woman, Sarah Palin, ready to be our President? While I truly admire her work ethic, her family values, etc (not her conservative views on Evolution and I am Pro Choice)…she is NOT presidential. That is very, very critical. It’s so obvious why she was chosen and it’s very insulting to think that John McCain would honestly believe that just because he choses a woman, women everywhere will flock to vote for her! Dream On, Mr. McCain!

Posted by Roberta Ghioto | Report as abusive

i get the feeling that may democrats are bitter because the republicans are making history with a woman – as if the republicans stole their idea! why would it seem “sneaky” for McCain to pick a woman for VP? maybe the world (republicans & democrats alike) is just waking up to the fact that women have great “leader potential” too!

Posted by carrie | Report as abusive

Why can’t media just give us the facts for a few weeks?
“It’s a strategically brilliant development for We the people of the USA.”
This is what this nation needs, real people in office.
McCain said he’s running “to fight for you, to make government stand on your side, not in your way.” In Palin, he found “the right partner to help me stand up to those who value their privileges over their responsibilities, who put power over principle, and put their interests before your needs.”
McCain has enough money and power to just retire yet he wants to serve the people.
His record reflects true care and concern for all the people of this great nation.
Palin would have had a whole lot more fun as Gov over VP yet she is willing to work with all other elected persons to serve WE THE PEOPLE. Help here Hillary/Mitt! ~ jmg
McCain is a real person, rich yes but more importantly honest, did he pick Sarah because she is also a real person? Young yes but more importantly she has worked her way to her current job, not by pushing the systems to work for her but working for the people and making the systems of government work for her constituents. ‘We suspect her record of fighting the status quo was uppermost in John McCain’s decision.’ Wsj.com 2008
CNN, C-SPAN, FOX/MSNBC, & PBS et al, must now show the playing field as even.
Obama: 7yrs state senator + 2yrs US senator =9 years
Palin: 4yrs city council + 6yrs Mayor + 2yrs Governor = 12 years
One young enough to ask the hard questions and want answers & One old enough to know where to find the answers, and who can help with the real work ahead.
WE the People need the work done and done right. Roads, parks, bike lanes, green fields.
Let’s get walking Mississippi, go for bike ride California, Love to run in Boston !
We the People need Modern schools. Why does Mississippi have to have a battle over funding education? “The school system in this country – public and private – is designed for the industrial age,” she said. “We’re in a technological age. We don’t want our kids to memorize. We want them to learn.” Jada Pinkett Smith ~ wife of Will Smith
WE THE PEOPLE must make the best choice for the future. Power is in the VOTE.
In knowledge-sharing communities and organizations, people often cite altruistic reasons for their participation, including contributing to a common good, a moral obligation to the group, mentorship or ‘giving back’. Unknown 2005 `
Bob, Paul and Cindy along with Barack/Joe, John/Sarah must be asked the tough questions; nice stages and good speeches don’t get the job done. Rick Warren showed us that anyone who is willing to set it up can ask and get answers. Comments on air are great but We the people need Tim Russert style hard ball ‘no spin’ to the point answers from all candidates. We need real facts not opinions, not last week’s talking points. All 360 degrees of each party’s candidates must be the shown.
Why can’t media just give us the facts for a few weeks?
GOD BLESS the USA
“It’s a strategically brilliant development for We the people of the USA.”
Jenni