Inside the Tent: Women voters on Sarah Palin

September 1, 2008

John McCain ‘s selection of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate was the latest twist in an election year that has had no shortage of surprises — especially after Palin announced in the midst of the Republican National Convention that her 17-year-old daughter was pregnant.

Inside the Tent talked to four women in St. Paul — a Democrat, an independent, and two Republicans — about Palin’s impact on the GOP ticket . What impact do you think Palin will have? Submit your answer in the comments section.

Sandra Ross: “Some of the Hillary supporters, they’re aren’t convinced yet, but they’re leaning toward her because they feel a woman should be in a strong leadership position.”

Barbara Patchen: “I know two people who are considering the McCain ticket just because of (Palin), but personally I’m mystified.”

Amy Sawyer: “For me it’s more about the person and the issues than gender. But she seems like she would be friendly and brings energy to that ticket.”

Tiesha Powell:”She’s a superwoman to me … I’m working too, trying to prove myself, and Sarah just says, “this can be done.”

Inside the Tent has more than 40 delegates and other attendees in Denver and St. Paul, equipped with video cameras to capture the conventions from the ground up.

Click here for a full list of contributors at the Republican National Convention.

Click here for more Inside the Tent contributions.

Click here for more Reuters 2008 election coverage.

biden may have been Obama’s pick to cover his perceived
weakness in foreign policy
could Sarah be McCain’s solution to his weakness with women.
he cheated on his first wife leading to a divorce
he also suspected to have been sleeping with his campaign staffer

Posted by joey | Report as abusive

Were these women asked if they knew Palin’s stand on the issues they care about? I can understand the Republicans staying with a Republican but I would the the Democrat and the Independent would want to know the issue stands. Good grief.

Posted by Michigan | Report as abusive

I think that Rice would have been maybe been a better running mate for John to pull in both the black and female voters who are on the fence of decission. However I do think that Sarah will be an asset to the Republican party. Not only because she is a woman but she is for the Family more so then any candidate, she stands for what I feel, as a Christian Pastor, what needs to be placed back into our educational system to make this country the God fearing country it started out to be in 1776. God help the United States of America or any other country that forgets God.

It’d be pure fantasy to expect any candidate to not have some minor issues for opponents to harp on. Gov. Palin does have a very good record of reform and getting things done at the state and local levels. The Dem’s claim she has no international experience isn’t accurate: State governors must deal with international trade issues (related to their state), homeland security concerns, national guard, and more. The buck stops with governors, not with senators (especially Obama, who has been very adept at passing the buck). Governor Palin took the time to visit with the Alaska Nat’l Guard in Kuwait and Germany last year. Obama’s overseas trip this year was 99% hype.

Posted by Lynn | Report as abusive

I am excited by Sarah Palin! She is a REAL person who walks the walk — she doesn’t just talk. She raised four children and was an effective governor who outed corruption. Sarah is an expert on energy, just the person we need as Veep. Her daughter got pregnant and is keeping the baby. Sarah knew her own baby had Down’s Syndrome and loves him and protects him. Her husband is a real person, who works with his hands. I am thrilled with McCain’s choice. I regret the feminists are not pro-woman, they are just pro-liberal.

Posted by Lyn | Report as abusive

I think Sen. McCain and the Republican are geing quite selfish to expect Mrs. Palin to serve right now. Her family needs her more than ever and if she is so wonderful, there is plenty of time for her to become Vice-President or even President in the future. Her 4 month old Down’s Syndrome baby and her 17 year old pregnant daughter need her more than America does. She should cite family reasons, step down, and let McCain select another running mate from those who were much more qualified than Palin to begin with. Sarah, PUT YOUR FAMILY FIRST!

Posted by Victoria M. | Report as abusive

i like her very much

I think picking Palin as his VP is a great wheeze. It really shows up some of those Hillary supporters as the sexist collectivists they are. The fact that gender is the only seriously important factor in a candidate to them says everything you need to know about them.

I also think it’s rather shocking how few people recognise this as sexism. It’s discriminating on sex, the definition. Palin’s gender should not matter, but clearly to these sexists it does.

Posted by Edward | Report as abusive

Palin was mayor of a city with less than 9,600 people. Then she fell into the govenor’s seat because the Alaskain folks were fed up with their current corrupt politicians… How’s that make her vp/prez. material is just lunacy! Is McCane trying to just corral the vote of theignorant and easily lead?

…and for Palin to even accept the vp position is irresponsible – she should be focused on her current issues that she is neglecting, rather than guaranteeing a LOSS for the republican party! YES, if.Palin was a man under investigation by his state ledgislature, plus family problems, McCane would not have even mildly concidered him. She’s a novice that’ll be easy to manipulate, and is now just a stunt that backfired.

PICK a new running mate or plan to follow Obama for the next four years!

Posted by Jackie | Report as abusive

Why anyone who supported Hillary would even think of voting for the McCain/Palin ticket is absurd! Please don’t demean and insult the women for Hillary as bimbos who were only voting gender! The politics of Palin are despicable to a Hillary supporter! Let Palin keep on governing Alaska, let McCain retire and let Obama and Biden get on with the important business of restoring the American Dream and our good will around the world!

Posted by Tru Blu | Report as abusive

I wondered what kind of mother she could be with all these strange ideas, re no sex education in schools, keeping a Downs Syndrome baby, and campaigning for vice president of the U.S. with three small children to take care of. Now I know. By not teaching her daughter birth control they are stuck with an unhappy situation. Pray for the United States.

Posted by Aldine Wallace | Report as abusive

Teaching birth control might have helped the situation.
Lord help the United States if she gets elected.

Posted by Aldine Wallace | Report as abusive

I don’t care what gender someone is; if I agree with their political views, then they will get my vote. Based on that, McCain/Palin will NOT get my vote. I’d hate to see four decades of women’s advancements ruined by the conservatives. I have no wish to live in the 50′s or 60′s — this is the 21st century, and I prefer the right of personal choice rather than have the government tell me my body is not my own! This goes farther than abortion; my body, my choice, regardless of the medical procedure!!! I don’t care how “perky” Palin appears to be, and I refuse to vote for her simply because of her gender — I wouldn’t do it for Hillary, and I won’t do it for her!

Posted by AJ Lehman | Report as abusive

She has more COMMON sense than 99% of the Senators and Congress people, she isn’t an attorney, she is young and aggressive, she isn’t part if the DC crowd, she sold the Alaska State plane for 2.7 million because there wasn’t a need for it, wants to reduce energy independence, has as much experience as Obama, is honest, and has been a good mother and wife. I will take that combination any day over all the current legislators.

Posted by Slow Poke | Report as abusive

I am same age as Palin, a mother and and immigrant. I was leaning towards voting for McCain, but now I will vote for Obama. I feel very uncomfortable with Palin. Should something happen to the president and she became a president. She seems very “white trash”. I wonder if she has ever travelled overseas or speaks any foreign language. She is too extreme in her views.

Posted by Hilary voter | Report as abusive

Looks like some have been drinking the Kool Aid from the Kool Aid mom, the one whose kids don’t see much of her thanks to her political ambitions.

Posted by Iris | Report as abusive

It`s unbelievable – just when you think Bush and Cheney are the bottom of the pit, they want to put this pro-gun, pro creationsm, self-styled hockey mum, whose only claim to fame is that she opposed the Bridge to Nowhere (which btw she officially supported till she discovered the Feds wouldn`t pay the full cost) a weak heartbeat from the presidency? Has it become the duty of rightwing Christians to ensure that Armageddon really happens? And what`s with the comparison with Hillary? She got 18 million votes – Ms (sorry – Mrs) Palin scraped through with 115,000.

Posted by geoffrey | Report as abusive

I think she is a great choice. She has more COMMON sense than 99% of the current Senators and Congress people, she isn’t an attorney, she is young and aggressive, she isn’t part if the DC crowd, she sold the Alaska State plane for 2.7 million because there wasn’t a need for it, she reduced many state taxes, she wants to reduce energy independence in an environmentally friendly way, she has as much or more grass roots experience as Obama, she is honest, and has been a good mother and wife. I will take that combination any day over any of the current legislators.

Posted by Slow Poke | Report as abusive

Are the Republicans so desperate for the women’s vote that they have picked Miss Wasilla and are trying to say she is as qualified as Hillary Clinton, Kay Bailey Hutchinson or Condaleeza Rice? What an insult to hard working talented women in this country to pick someone who parrots a party line rather than thinking on her own about the critical issues facing this country. And why was the Right so quick to criticize Jamie Spears for her out of wedlock pregnancy but it is OK for Bristol Palin? How two faced can a party get? But this is what we have learned to expect from the incumbents. This proves that McCain’s hair trigger decision making is as frightening as his colleagues on the Senate have noted.

No matter how democrats will try to destroy Palin, it will not work. Palin’s work records, professionalism and honesty will be her assets. Voters must be careful from Obamas arrogance and ambitious goal. Barack can quickly switch statements just to get peoples vote, an indication of a desperate man aiming to live in the White House. After Gallup poll released that voters think Obama will raise taxes, he quickly promise a taxcut to 95% of middle class. Where did he got that number. A true sweet talker putting a number to be more convincing. Obama promises more than he can deliver then worry about it later. Voters must be worried about a desperate Obama who will do to the extent of lie to american voters just to get their vote. I dont trust Obama. I will vote for McCain-Palin ticket.

Posted by Shariq_ALvi_Tanvi | Report as abusive

I was born in Alaska, and live here now. I have been somewhat impressed with Sarah Palin as governor; however, I do NOT think that she is a decent choice for VP. She seriously lacks experience, integrity and strength. I am insulted, as a woman, that with several qualified and capable men and women in the political arena, Ms. Palin was chosen. I will NOT vote for a candidate based on gender.
I question Mr. McCain’s judgement, and cannot trust him to surround himself with appropriate staff members, if he is choosing Ms. Palin for his VP. Furthermore, I am concerned that if McCain was elected, Palin could only be a puppet for the Republican power that is behind the Bush administration. We need change and leadership!
In closing, I am FRIGHTENED to think of her as either VP or president.

Posted by Hilkka Bold | Report as abusive

In an interview several months ago, John McCain said (as did Barack Obama) that the most important criterion for a Vice-President is whether he/she is qualified to step into the Presidency in case the President dies or is incapable of carrying out his duties. I do not believe that Mrs. Palin is so qualified. McCain could have chosen a more qualified and seasoned individual as the Vice-Presidential nominee.

Posted by D. L. | Report as abusive

The fact that McCain would select someone with so little experience to be second in command of our country is alarming, not to mention that she would be charged with representing both the people of America and the women of America to world leaders on an international stage. McCain has had 4 bouts with cancer. If McCain were to win, this woman could be our president! What a selfish move on McCain’s part to sacrifice the overall well-being of our country to his personal ambition to be president. This is a critical time in America’s history because of the questionable wisdom of the war with Iraq and our terrible reputation internationally. We need leaders who know what they are doing. How can someone who has never managed more than a staff of 50 people competently run a country?

As a mom, I am mystefied by Palin’s choice not to place the well-being of her daughter over her own political ambitions. Palin can ask the media to respect her family’s privacy until the cows come home, but surely she is not naive enough to think that this will happen. Her daughter will have the pleasure of seeing her picture on the news when she turns on the TV, on the internet, etc., all of which could have been avoided of Palin had said “no” to McCain’s offer for the time being. What teenager wants their sex life to be national if not international news and their unplanned pregnancy to be fodder for late night comedians and paparazzi? Palin has to know that the public nature of this will be damaging to her daughter, no matter how much support they give her. Palin would have served her daughter better by waiting until 2012 to stoke her political ambitions. What a profoundly irresponsible choice for Palin and her husband to make on behalf of their daughter and family.

Posted by Chicago mom | Report as abusive

I was leaning toward McCain until he chose Palin. I really liked him as a senator and wished he’d been nominated eight years ago by the republicans, but now he’s just pandering to both the Christian Right and–apparently–to women who think only about Palin’s gender. She’s an EXTREMIST. Okay, so extremist Christians love her, but I’m don’t get it. They’re just embracing her without thinking about her total lack of experience. She strikes me as being power hungry, and her ties to the oil industry are so clear. I’m voting for Obama, even though his choice of Biden strikes me as a little uninspired. John McCain is just too desperate to be president, and I’m getting the sense that Governor Palin has some responsibilities at home that need her and her husband’s full attention right now.

Posted by Independent Woman | Report as abusive

I don’t care that Palin is a woman. What I DO care about is that she would like to return women to the era of “Don’t worry your pretty little head; I’ll make your decisions for you”. I care about her wanting all abortions outlawed, for all women, even those impregnated by rape or incest. And once the Federal Government gets back in the business of making private, personal decisions for women, there will be no end to this continuing erosion of personal privacy.
John McCain is also anti-choice, and anti-feminist as well. Do women really need some rich (wife’s money) old white guy to tell them what they can and cannot do with their own bodies? And I doubt that McSame and Palin will support other feminist issues like accurate sex education in school (maybe that would have helped Palin’s daughter), equal pay for women, or the right to reproductive health services like contraception.
Palin also wants to drill for oil in ANWR, and other places in Alaska, even going so far as suing the Bush administration for placing polar bears on the endangered species list. Hand-in-hand with Palin’s one-trick energy policy is her belief that the science of Global Warming does not indicate that human activity is responsible. Do we really need another anti-science zealot in office?
The republicans are now claiming that she has more foreign-policy experience that Obama and Biden combined, just because Alaska is located between Canada and Russia. I would laugh at the absurdity of it all, but there is nothing funny about the republicans, their agenda, or their candidates.
I mean, John McSame has voted repeatedly against raising the minimum wage, against investigation of the Katrina Hurricane debacle, against equal pay for women, and FOR the Iraq War, for making Bush tax cuts for the rich permanent, and for opening up public lands to his new buddies in the (now-contributing to him) oil industry.
The last thing we need is a continuation of the economically-, environmentally-, socially-, constitutionally-, scientifically-, and financially-disasterous, short-sighted, idealogy-driven, lying Bush Administration.
Palin is no Dick Cheney, it’s true. But nor is she Hillary Clinton.

Posted by artatlarge | Report as abusive

Only six years ago Barack Obama was an undistinguished state senator in the Chicago Democratic machine. Does anyone seriously advocate that experience qualified Obama to be President? What possible justification can Obama use to say he is qualified to be Commander in Chief? That’s why for the sake of the country, we have to hope Sarah Palin can overcome the hatred directed at her by Democrats.

Posted by Chris Baker | Report as abusive

I think Sarah Palin is great and I am excited that she and John McCain will be in the White House.

I read a comment about people not wanting to vote for McCain because of the affair he had when he was married to his first wife. I really don’t care about any of that. Big woo. People have affairs.

That actually shouldn’t affect his duties as president. UNLESS, he lies about it under oath and jepardizes national security doing it and then gets himself IMPEACHED because of it. I don’t think any Republicans are going to let that affect their vote for McCain and the Democrats who would vote for him shouldn’t have a problem after what Bill Clinton did. Remember the Democrat argument that his impeachment “was just about sex”?

Palin’s on the job training seems to be working in Alaska, but hardly what is needed at the national level. Her candidacy is an insult to the intelligence of the voter looking for political expertise and experience to solve our domestic and international problems. It will take more than a pretty face and ethical guts. Knowledge of the national and international situation comes with years of experience and is necessary. If simply running a household, PTA, local government and small town politics were required, many of us would qualify.

Posted by Donna W | Report as abusive

you are all defending a person u knew 2 days ago?
didn’t your mothers teach u anything about trusting strangers?
lets face it
she is a desperate move whose appointment was solely based on the possibility a devided dem convention. and disgruntled Hillary follwers
her appointment defies convention, common sense, judgement and simple wisdom thats why we are all talking about it.
in 2 days i have learned of learned of family problems, an investigation, flip flopping about the bridge project there may be more
A possible President? no way, not now,

Posted by joey | Report as abusive

Sarah Palin? Idiots. If the McSame Palin Ticket wins this Country deserves everything it gets.

Posted by terry | Report as abusive

Our Country is most definitely going through many trying times. Sadly enough the best have come forward to direct and provide a future for our Great Nation. The Obama Ticket or The McCain Ticket, how about neither. All who trust in Obama will be very sorry. Besides tax increases, a proven terrible past track record and the inability to run our country yet alone defend us(U.S.) abroad? We will pay for years to come for the lack of experience and the deceitful ways trying to fool us for votes. The Change that is promised does not mean its going to be a good thing. Then we have our x POW and out spoken Republican icon who were not so sure of. When it comes to trust, we have to ask ourselves which candidates can we trust? We need a leader who wants to not Sale our Great Country and Nation out for the almighty dollar. Ask yourselves about paying to much for fuel, how about the fact that raw goods and materials for our manufacturing world have done nothing but increase over the last 22 months 50%-500% in some cases. A bushel of corn in early 2007 cost around $2.00, today a bushel will cost between $6-$8. Who’s idea was it to anyway to greatly diminish our food supply and serve up ethanol as an alternative fuel? The U.S was importing corn seed this year because we didn’t have enough for our own farmers for planting. How about the fact that steel is costing our factories and manufacturing base between 65%-85% more just in the last 14 months. Take a look at fuel and the plastics industry nothing here but increases. The list goes on! No sir, not one President or Party has caused this ripple effect in our current Economy, it goes back in time when a certain President said “OUR GOVERNMANT IS TO BIG”. Truly not one of these future Presidents has our interest at stake, there is no plan to lower fuel or lower our cost of food, raw goods, fuel, paper, medical cost etc. How about that almighty dollar, its worth about .49, thats forty nine cents against the EURO. Who’s the best candidate to fix that? It’s all fluff anything said for a vote. How about a legitimate Business plan on many area’s where we the USA needs immediate help. We should all be encouraging and praying daily for this Country and our brothers and sisters and for whoever wins the Presidency of this Great Nation. Accountability should be highly regarded, directed at the soon to be broken promises of our future leader. We all receive grades throughout our lives when were young in our schooling systems then we all work to provide, some of us get rewarded with increases at work and some loose their jobs. Because theirs accountability! How about our next President be accountable and graded on their success ratio or not so successful. Then let the people decide what to do with their future. This is not what our founding fathers wanted for our future and we are that future.

I supported Clinton, but switched to McCain this summer because he is a centrist and moderate, experienced, and because I believe he is a decent and honorable person. In short, he was my default candidate. However, adding Palin to the ticket as the VP candidate made me realize I’d absolutely done the right thing. It was a brilliant choice by McCain and I salute his judgement and foresight in choosing Palin as his running mate. She is a moral and ethical person, has integrity, and is a courageous reformer who gets things done. She’s also like a breath of fresh air in the stale, smoke-filled back rooms of politics-as-usual. Now I am completely and enthusiastically for…..McCain-Palin in November!

Posted by Marie in California | Report as abusive

What about the children? THat’s the question to ask everytime you hear of a mother on the kind of career track that Ms. Palin is on. I doubted she and McCain could succeed even without this current news on her daughter. But now I think it’s hopeless. What kind of a mother abandons her Down’s infant and pregnant teen to trapse around the country trying to be vice-president? I know the feminists will hate this comment, but children need mothers. It’s a fact. Many a great father and mother have given up career and other personal ambitions in order to serve and teach and raise a child in crisis or great need. Too bad McCain didn’t recognize that when he made this supposedly informed choice. But then, considering the women he surrounds himself with, he seems to have a weak spot for human Barbie dolls.

Posted by Cindy | Report as abusive

Looks like you libs are scared to me, and joey is bashing someone he knows not at all, except for what other libs say.

Posted by Allen | Report as abusive

The only thing Sarah Palin has in common with Hillary Clinton is that oh so coveted area between her legs. I hope this will not be an election swayed by voters so politically ignorant that they think voting for a woman, regardless of her stance, will “do the job and make the change”–because it is PRECISELY THOSE issues that makes said person qualified to potentially run this country….regardless of genitalia. Sarah Palin is a brash opposite to Hillary Clinton…and don’t tell me Sarah Palin is going to protect my rights as a woman to choose. Don’t tell me Sarah Palin is going to give a $#%^ about our endangered species! (HAH!) Don’t tell me Sarah Palin is going to teach my children the bible in public school!!!!!(please, don’t!) Don’t tell me we will soon unseparate church and state! Don’t tell me Roe VS Wade may be overturned with this McCain/Palin ticket!!! DON’T TELL ME WE MAY REGRESS 35 YEARS OR MORE WITH THE ELECTION OF MCCAIN/PALIN! Please. I beg of you, Americans.

Posted by KP | Report as abusive

TO whom it may concern MRS. pAULIN HAS AS MUCH IF NOT MORE EXPERIENCE TO BE pRESIDENT AS OBAMMA

LEAVE THE CHILDREN OUT OF IT. MANY PEOPLE HAVE COMPLEX FAMILIES WITH FAMILY MEMBERS WHO DID NOT DO WHAT THEY WERE TAUGHT TO DO. IF YOU NEED TO FOCUS ON FAMILIES, THE HEADLINES SHOULD READ:

“PALIN’S SON IS ON HIS WAY TO IRAQ TO SERVE OUR COUNTRY”

OR

“McCAIN HAS TWO SONS SERVING IN OUR MILITARY”

WE REALLY NEED TO CONCENTRATE ON WHO CAN BEST LEAD OUR COUNTRY.

WE NEED TO REPLACE DO-NOTHING DEMOCRATS IN CONGRESS.

McCAIN IS RUNNING FOR “PRESIDENT” — HE BRINGS LOTS OF EXPERIENCE. HE HAS PROVEN HE LOVES OUR COUNTRY ENOUGH TO DIE FOR US.

PALIN ALSO BRINGS EXPERIENCE. SHE HAS ACTUALLY “GOVERNED” AS MAYOR OF HER HOMETOWN AND AS GOVERNOR OF THE STATE OF ALASKA. SHE IS RUNNING FOR “VICE PRESIDENT”.

OBAMA IS RUNNING FOR “PRESIDENT” — HE BRINGS “NO” EXPERIENCE. HE WORKED LESS THAN 150 DAYS IN THE SENATE AND SPENT THE REST OF THE TIME RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT. IF HE CAN’T DO HIS SENATE JOB — HE SURELY CAN’T LEAD OUR NATION.

JOE BIDEN HAS BEEN IN THE SENATE FOR 35 YEARS. WHAT HAS HE DONE? HE WILL BRING MORE OF THE SAME! Biden said: “I think OBAMA can be ready one day, but right now I don’t believe he is. The presidency is not something that lends itself to on-the-job training.”

I’m voting for John McCain in November.

Posted by CAROLINA GIRL | Report as abusive

eXCUSE ME BUT i DIDNT READ ALL THE COMMENTS NOW THAT I HAVE i HAVE TO VENT THIS i HAVE STUDIED THE LAWS OF gOD AND FIND NOWHERE WHERE IT IS AGAINST GODS LAWS TO HAVE A dOWNS SYNDROM BABY THIS BABY IS LOVED BY gOD JUST LIKE EVERY ONE ELSE SHAME ON WHOEVER SAID THIS GOD BLESS YOU ALL.wAYLON

Sarah Palin’s personal life is a train wreck about to happen. After McCain dumps her in about 3 days, I would like to see what the right-wing nuts will have to say about her and good old Jonny McCain then.

Posted by Don Keedic | Report as abusive

Settle down Donny boy. You just wish you had nuts. You libs really need to step out of you bodys and look back at yourself and ask this question. Do I like him/her. I really dont understand the lib mentality. I believe liberalism is ideology of idiots.

Posted by Allen | Report as abusive

What kind of mother would rather kill an infant rather then give him/her a shot at life…you? Dont forget she has a husband that can take care of the baby. Hell she can do the VP job and take care of the little guy to. Get off your soap box women!

Posted by Allen | Report as abusive

Sarah is a real person living a real life and is facing head on any and all obstacles. She is not standing by just voting “present ‘ when the decision making gets tough like Hussain obama does.

Posted by Mick | Report as abusive

I am a Former AF officer, I for one do not want anyone in office who has not worn the uniform of our Armed Forces in command. Obama has not been in the position of being in the military, and has no experience in military matters. Biden had himself deferred 5 times then out, no military experience there either. Obama spends time in running for POTUS when he should be voting in Senate matters, spreading promises to people on what he can do, just empty promises for any vote he can get. He has no meaningful experience in governing. Biden will be the “yes sir man” and that won’t count for any thing.
I am also an RN, with 3 degrees, elderly parents who need care, do any of the Dem candidates have a real plan for health care? do the Repub’s? None that is meaningful that I can read about. What we have now is broken to the point that it needs to be file 13nd (trashed) and WE need a new health care system.
I am also a farmer and farmers dtr. and I am concerned about the Dems plan for support of farming issues. The family farms and ranches support food production for people all over the world, and the Dems want to re[distribute the “wealth of land owners” So no support for the Dems on that point. As a teen, I didn’t have a car, no new prom dresses, designer clothes, but I did have a tractor to work with, chores to do after school and on the weekends and summer breaks. No brothers to do the work, and I can say that the wealthy landowner is a myth.
My parents and I worked for what we have, we took no public assistance. The American Dream. The taxes are paid.
Now, as for Gov. Palin, she is a very good choice. The Change that the Dems want to put forth, actually stand a chance of being changed with her selection. A Total outsider, she has no political ties to the corruption of WDC, a breath of fresh air to clean out the musty smells of the corridors of the Capitol. She has an 80% approval rate from her constituents, none of the others have that support. Thank GOD she will shake up the old fogey’s.
Now, as for Gov Palin and her Dtr. Bristol and her pregnancy, this should be a totally private family matter. Gov Palin is supporting her dtr in her PRIVATE family decision. They are certainly not the first family to be confronted with an unwanted pregnancy in the family with an unwed teen, and they will not be the last. The media needs to get the hell out of that process. Its none of our business. (Obama came from the issue of an unwed 17/18 y/o unwed mother, I don’t see the media all over that one. At least Obama has the good sense to stay out of this one, no stones cast in that direction as he is the product of unwed teen mom’s.)
McCain has served our country in the Military, has been a POW, has served our country for years as a Senator. He has a wife Cindy, whose Parents sacrificed to get the wealth of the American Dream, this should not be held against him, they Worked for what they left their progeny.
Who cares how many houses they have? The taxes are paid.
McCain/Palin the only real hope we have for CHANGE.

Excellent Choice by McCain. Palin brings to the national ticket a woman with real executive experience, smart, insightful and not acidic like Hillary. Palin offers more hope for women and more opportunities because she is currently a woman in charge and leading one our great states. I am proud to cast my vote for McCain and Palin for the office of President and Vice President.

Ken Bunch
Arkansas

Posted by Ken Bunch | Report as abusive

WHY would anyone vote for Palin just because she is a woman? We should be voting for a person based on qualifications. How ridiculous for people to think Palin will be an effective VP. She has no experience except for a first term governor. Has anyone given any thought to what is going to happen to our country if something happens to McCain while in office and Palin takes over???? What a mess this will be. The Hilary supporters are smarter than to fall for this scheme. We should not be voting for gender.

Posted by Dale | Report as abusive

It’s not that this is about Sarah Palin’s pregnant, unmarried, teenage daughter, it is about the fact that Sarah Palin is a hypocrite preaching abstinence and like so many phony Republicans like her, morality. They look down on the rest of us like they are better than everyone and above us. Sarah Palin has been a Governor of a state in the middle of nowhere, literally, for 2 short years, She has already proven she is a serious hypocrite that believes global warming is a farce, while she votes against bills aimed at protecting the polar bear now in danger of extinction. Polar bears starving to death to Palin is a good thing so she has more wolves and baby seals to shoot and kill from her airplane. This woman would be one heartbeat away from the Presidency, with zero experience in foreign affairs, terrorism and Iraq, zero experience on the economy, zero experience for literally every last issue America is faced with in these impossible times Bush has created for us all. The Republicans made this mess we are in and this is who they offer up as a solution? absolutely pitiful, NEXT. Obama / Biden all the way!

Posted by Democrats 08 | Report as abusive

Just reading a lot of the postings shows that Democrats are afraid of having Sarah Palin running as the Republican’s vice presidential candidate. People are saying for one reason or another that now they will vote the other way when in fact they were planning to any way.

One person (Chicago Mom) even said that Palin should wait until 2012 to run and take care of her family first and rambles about her 17 yr. old daughter’s pregnancy being highlighted. She apparently doesn’t want Palin to destroy Obama’s chances of becoming President this time around. If the Democrats want to publicize the fact that Palin’s daughter got pregnant out of wedlock, let them do it since it is common practice among the Democratic families anyway so what is the difference with Palin’s daughter getting pregnant the same way?

Another person wants Palin to stay out of the race and take care of her family. Is she saying that Palin should stay in the kitchen? And Vice President is a man’s job?

People should refrain from making stupid statements and just do some research and then post valid statements. It just shows their ignorance when they post statements as if they really care about Palin’s family’s best interest when they don’t. We know that they are being disingenuous.

If you did your own research on Palin and what she has done in Alaska as a mayor,as a governor and the head of the Alaska National Guard, you will find that she has more executive experience than Senator Obama and Senator Biden who never owned a business or ran a town, city or any company, and neither of them were a mayor or governor. So what experience do they have in running a government? Has anyone noticed that American presidents tend to come from the ranks of American governors and not senators? Ronald Reagon, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush were all governors.

Posted by realmerv | Report as abusive

I’ve always voted republican, but the past few elections I’ve not been excited about any of our candidates. In fact I would have voted for John Edwards as a moderate democrat the past two elections, but he just couldn’t get nominated. I am a fiscal conservative. While I’m slightly worried about Palin’s experience, I’m more excited about her stands and actions on government waste and spending. I hope this is just the beginning of bringing the republican party back to its fiscal conservative roots. I like the idea of having a Washington outsider on the ticket. Biden is just more of the same.

Posted by Phil Taylor | Report as abusive

Leave the family out! You leftists keep stooping new lows since Palin was selected!

Posted by melon | Report as abusive

FAMILIES FIRST. The fact that Sarah Palin could subject her 17 year old daughter to public scrutiny and her 4 month old child to having a mother on the campaign trail reveals this woman’s personal ambitions are more important to her than her family. As a woman, I am insulted that McCain thinks he could get my vote just because she is a woman and stunned that other women would champion this woman who would deny them rights to their own body and put politics above her family. She fits perfectly into the dissolving Republican party. Go back to Alaska, Sarah Palin, where your own people are speaking out against your self-serving support FOR the Bridge to Nowhere that you originally supported and then changed (and lied about) saying you told big oil, no thanks. I say NO THANKS, to you as vice-president of my country.

Posted by jan smith | Report as abusive

Sarah Pilen has more executive experience than Hillary. I think she’ll make a great VP and hopefully the first woman president.

Posted by Jen Binford | Report as abusive

What kind of mother humiliates her unwed, pregnant daughter by literally telling the whole world about it? No wonder Bristol got pregnant, she is looking for the love she clearly does NOT get from her mother.
What kind of mother abandons her intellectually disabled child while he is an infant, to go on the campaign trail?

Posted by Roy Fischer | Report as abusive

A nation full of fabulous candidates and this is the best the Republican party can do? For shame. The rest of the world is laughing right now at America, as we confuse love of childbearing for any credible poilitical experience.

Put me in the “was considering McCain but just became a door to door supporter of Obama”.

Posted by cmac | Report as abusive

This years election is actually taken a new turn with the choice of Palin, whose credentials are so totally inspiring. She is a candidate who is going through tough times and has shown all what it means to be stoical in the face of adversities.
She is a former Mayor who was voted in by her state to clean up the augean stable of corruption and despite being the youngest and first female Governor of Alaska she has delivered beyond what she promised to the extent that she is the candidate that has got 80% vote of confidence in her constituency.

She is the exemplary family woman, who values the life of her baby with Down’s syndrome as well as that of her unborn grand-child, not to talk of the desire of her to own up for her mistake by keeping her pregnancy.

Perhaps the only candidate with more experience than her in leadership is McCain. None of the others had travelled out on state functions (before the race for the Presidency began and hyped overseas travels began) than her.

Give me a break!!! Palin is the face, voice and vision of change that America desires and deserves.

She has had some slip-ups, which stand her out as a human being, not enough to crucify her, except we desire angels to come and run the country.

She is not an Hillary Clinton, who is an icon for propping her husband up, when some tried to crucify him, but she has got a dotting husband who is ready to go the hog with her in the move to salvage the pride of America as envisioned by the founding fathers.

She is first a person, then a wife and a mother whose maternal instincts have proven to be above suspect. Her family needs her… but so are the millions of Americans who are tired of the recycling of the same set of politicians and their “trusted” acolytes.

Hillary Clinton was the face of change, but despondency set in after she was robbed of victory by the insidious cancellation of her primary victories and being hounded out of the race by the (un)democrats.

Happily, change is back on course with the choice of Palin.

Which ticket can turn the energy ticket, the livewire of the economy around or had contributed more and is still doing so to National Security?

Palin, not even McCain, nor Obama or Biden is the true face of humanistic change.

Posted by Rockstar | Report as abusive

The US was not founded ‘to be a God fearing country’, like some liars wrote here. The Christian Right simply has no right to try to impose its religious beliefs in non-religious secular sphere – politics, domestic and foreign policy. Your own hypocracy and false moral superiority is highlighted by Palin’s own difficulties with her pregnant daughter and the lies (is that youngest son hers or her daughters?) she propagates to maintain an illusion.

Someof the responses I;m readin merely highlight how easily cowed, bamboozled and manipulated American voters are. For too many of you, any old woman will do. You vote based purely on stereotypical preconceptions, which you then veil beneath false rationale.

Posted by Eric Honest | Report as abusive

Sarah Palin is a ‘Maverick’ and she is the ‘hope’ for tomorrow. She is a proven leader and will be an excellent choice for VP as the ceiling is finally shattered for women and women’s rights! No longer forced to step back and be ashamed to be intelligent. Sarah is what the fight is about people! I’m sure she is not without faults, none of us are, but I believe that she possess the intelligence, guts, and determination, not to mention integrity, to be the VP ’08 and President 2016.

Posted by Dana | Report as abusive

To the “conservatives”, where is your moral standard? How can you defend a mother who abadons 4-month old baby, a mother who abandons a pregnant teenage daughter. Where is your conscience?

Posted by Joseph L | Report as abusive

I think presidentiality has more to do with integrity and following the constitution than experience – every president surrounds themselves with experts in agriculture, foreign relations, financial matters, etc. However, I do suspect that being a congressperson prepares one for presidential office more than being a govenor does, in terms of familiarity with the congress and matters of national concern.

The republican candidates seem to be hellbent on enforcing their religious views (although all 4 profess to be the same religion…?!) and excluding certain groups of people from certain rights. The democratic candidates seem to be trying to push America toward European-styled (ie the rest of the free world) socialism. Which I don’t see as too bad, as we already pay ridiculously high taxes, and it would be nice to personally get more from paying so much to live here (healthcare).

What about Nader? Why are they so afraid to let a 3rd party debate? Are they worried he might win? What could it hurt?

Posted by natetrontx | Report as abusive

I for one am getting pretty tired of these Christian Conservative nutcakes with their narrow politcal agenda putting incompentent people in our White House. Do you all think the country is better off after 8 years of your precious George Bush? Don’t you know you been the pawns of Karl Rove? Bush, Cheney and Co. throw you an occasional bone and get you all whooped up about gay marriage or whatever, and you come running to your polling places like Pavlov’s dog!

You get all excited about “family values” Palin, but do you think someone who was recently the mayor of a town of 9000 people, and who has governed a “state” that is smaller in population that a major city, is qualified to govern on the international stage? With McCain’ age, it is entirely possible. God help us when Russia invades Ukraine and the Iranians put the finishing touches on their nukes (with American and Israeli flags on the nose cones) – Sarah will be busy at some PTA meeting and won’t even notice!

Posted by Chuck in California | Report as abusive

I don’t know what disturbs me more. McCain’s lack of judgement in selecting someone with so little experience and so many family problems or Palin’s lack of judgement in agreeing to be his running mate. It’s scary to think what will happen to this country if these two win the election! Heaven only knows what decisions they will make once they are in office. Why in the world would McCain have overlooked so many other qualified candidates? (Heck, I’m more qualified to fill the VP position than she does.)

Governor Huckabee put it best on Fox yesterday….(paraphrase) ‘Governor Sara Palin got more votes in her little home town election for Mayor, than Biden got running for President’!!

LOLPIMP!

McCain/Palin ’08

Posted by Willow | Report as abusive

I’m insulted that anyone would think that just because Sarah Palin is a woman, and I’m a woman, that I would vote for her. She is unquestionably unqualified. Any intelligent person, male or female, would want the best person for the office.

Posted by Marianne | Report as abusive

As the media continues to roll out story after story about Sarah Palin, I only grow more mystified about the lack of thought and consideration behind her selection for the VP slot. This lady has a lot of baggage, a decided lack of experience, and some serious family issues, which, in my opinion, should take precedence over political interests. It just doesn’t make sense.

As for her daughter’s pregnancy, I agree that it should be a private family matter (and would have remained so had not Palin accepted this bid.) But equally so were the circumstances and subsequent moral decision surrounding the birth of their special needs son, which the RNC trotted out with bells on. Why? Because that tableau fit in with their family values stance, while the pregnancy of a unmarried teen is an embarrassment to folks of that faction From where I sit, the RNC’s offended outrage at the public discussion of Bristol’s pregnancy seems more than a bit contrived. And the McCain people knew about this situation? Sure. I think a little honesty would go a long way here.

Posted by Johanna | Report as abusive

Just like the Republican’s. When the real issues are too hard to address, such as the economy and the war! Let’s just divert the people from the issues. Yes, I’m a woman with children. I’m more concerned about the issues!!!! Not whether there’s going to be a woman in the WhiteHouse. I’m a former Hillary supporter, not because she’s a woman. I fully support Obama. I strongly believe he can lead this country toward the change we need. We’re a Nation that’s in big trouble. Do you guys know how much debt we’re in? It’s in the trillions! Do you know how much we’ve borrowed from Japan and China?

The reason why Palin’s daughter is in much discussion is the simple fact as usual, the same rules do not apply to REPUBLICANS in which they want us to live by. By the way, yes, I’m a former Republican. I’m tired of all the rules, such as abstinance, anti-abortion, Christian Values throwed in our faces, until it effects a member of the Republican party and then theres the excuses and justification for it all. I now do not define myself to a party, I weight the ISSUES.

Vote on the basics of the Issues, not a party or because there’s a woman on the ticket. By the way ladies, McCain has insulted my and your intelligence. When someone is quoted as stating, she hasn’t been told what the VP does, that tells me, she didn’t ask enough questions, as well as her role WILL NOT be significant! She was put in this position to get the woman’s vote only!

Posted by Monica | Report as abusive

You can’t get more real than this. A woman handling real issues on a daily basis. She has a lot on her plate already and to be vice-president to boot!

Posted by CONNIE JOHNSON | Report as abusive

SP has never had a job for more than six months where she was unable to take her baby to work with her, unable to take time away from the office whenever she needed, or did not have assistants to do her work for her or take care of her children.

Palin always attempts to mislead American women into believing the perks she enjoyed as Mayor of a tiny rural town and as governor of a sparsely-populated state are also available to the Average working mom.

While she takes on-the-job childcare and paid childcare leave for herself, she is a conservative, fundamentalist who does not support government-subsidized childcare or paid childcare leave for average, employed Americans.

Posted by Barbara McDaniel | Report as abusive

Is McCaine looking for another Stepford “trophy wife”? I know most women will see this as what it is: a bad attempt by a sexist out of touch man who is looking for a woman with 1950′s values from small town America. Of course Alaskans (all 700,000 of them) love her. Alaska is a huge exporter of oil to the lower 48, where they pay no taxes and get gifts from her all the time.

Posted by John Z | Report as abusive

Governor Palin may be able to take her baby to work with her and nurse during a meeting as Governor of Alaska – a state with a population of 626,000 people. It is a different story being the VP of the United States. No CEO in any corporation would do such a thing. I think a woman with children is certainly capable of being the VP or president of the US, but I do question the judgment and “family first” priority of a new mother with a newborn having special needs.

When it comes down to it, where will her allegiance be? With the MILLIONS of people relying upon her to lead the country, or with her children, whether they be pregnant, sick or whatever the issue? Will she be in the Middle East brokering a peace deal and suddenly have to fly home to attend to the health care needs of her infant son? She would be a cruel, heartless mother if she did no less, but she will be an ineffective, laughable joke of a world leader if she places her family priorities ahead of her country.

“America First” or “Family First” Which is it going to be?

Posted by MagikJack | Report as abusive

Go Palin go! My only worry is that once she becomes VP her individuality and optimism will be squashed by the DC politcal machine. It’s refreshing to have a Washingon outsider on the ticket…but even freshmen senators start towing the party line before too long (i.e. Obama’s acceptance speech.) Any optimism and hope that makes it’s way to Washington seems to quickly be killed by cynicism and “experience.” McCain’s reputation as a “Maverick” is much more of a beacon for change in this election than Obama’s bumper sticker slogans can ever hope for.

I believe McCain/Palin will stand a better chance of standing up their principles and values. Obama can’t even stand up with his own “principles” on the campaign trail once polling results come in. How on earth would he stand a chance against a real threat? His only threat now is polling numbers, and he changes direction whichever way the political wind blows. I’m getting whiplash trying to keep up with his positions as they change from day to day. And the Obama Kool-Aid drinkers go right along…much like Joe Biden who wouldn’t know an original idea if his Amtrak train crashed into it! But follow them to the ends, the uneducated masses surely will follow them to the ends. The American Idol culture still thinks it’s “cool” to support a radical socialist for the White House…You lemmings!! Thank God our voting system is not by phone or text message!!

And to the Hilary supporters who are “insulted” that McCain chose a woman…get over yourselves! Are you just bitterly sticking to your anti-guns and anti-religion?? I’m a woman conservative, and have just become energized by Palin as the VP candidate. If you want to vote for Obama’s socialist dogma…go right ahead! You’re fooling yourselves to think that he has the ability to give all the hand-outs he’s promised. With money from where? Be careful in how quickly you want to pull troops home from Iraq. If that region is not stabalized with a US friendly government…how much do you think the price of a barrel of oil would go to?

If Obama happens to win and we have a Dem in the White House and a Dem majority congress….then see ya in 2010 when Pelosi and Murtha lose their majority seats, and then in 2012 when Palin is the Rep. Presidential candidate!!!!

Posted by Kt in GA | Report as abusive

The decision by John McCain to pick Sarah Palin as his running mate must be the result of a temper tantrum due to some Republican in-fighting. Now that she is being vetted before our eyes, it demonstrates what poor judgement he has.

McCain has derided Obama for lack of experience. What kind of experience does Sarah Palin have? Oh, I forgot. Cindy McCain told us Ms. Palin has foreign relations experience due to the fact that Alaska is so close to Russia.

At least the Republicans are supplying lots of things for us to laugh about, but the laughter could quickly turn to tears if the Republicans manage to steal another election.

Posted by Jane Lawson | Report as abusive

No, all evangelicals will not rally behind Palin, nor McCain.

I am an evangelical. My reasons are as follows:

The least evangelicals can do is to hold John McCain to the same standard as they held Bill Clinton. Adultery by a Republican Navy captain is just as much a sin as adultery by a Democratic president.

For 23 of the 25 years John McCain has been in Washington, we have had a Republican president and/or a Republican senate majority. Abortions are just as available as aspirin. A McCain presidency won’t change anything. Roe V. Wade cannot be overturned. The Rove machine just wants us to think it can. The court decision is actually not a result of activist judges. It is established law. There are no examples of this kind of law being overturned.

You cannot be pro-life and support keeping American troops in Iraq for another 100 years. You cannot be pro-life while paraphrasing the Beach Boys promoting an aggressive war on Iran. God hates hands that shed innocent blood, period — Proverbs 6:16-18. It doesn’t matter whether those hands belong to an abortionist or an infantry corporal.

We Christians have forgotten that our citizenship is first and foremost in Heaven –Philippians 3:20 — and that Jesus’ Kingdom is not of this world –John 18:36. We follow leaders like McCain who are so desperate for earthly glory that they will totally disregard Christianity in order to attain it. What shall it profit a man –(Matthew 16:26) James Dobson now says that he will endorse John McCain. That says it all.

I for one am not going to vote for a man who hires Karl Rove to help pick Sarah Palin simply to get my vote. In 2000 the republicans counted on evangelicals not thinking for ourselves. They were right. In 2004, they counted on us not thinking for ourselves again. Again, they were right. Not this time. I’m thinking for myself, and encouraging my fellow church goers to do the same.

She is someone who wants to teach our children abstinence when this teaching did not work in her own home.

I have heard other Christians excusing Palin because her daughter is going to marry the baby’s dad and because she is keeping the baby – they are using that as an excuse for pre-marital sex. A perfect example of “do as I say not as I do” let me change the laws to what I think its correct even though its not what I will personally do. And best of all the Christians organizations are excusing her.

Religion and politics is a dangerous mix, this is just a good reminder as to why we have separation of religion and state.

I am devoted, active, and evangelical.

And I will not vote for John McCain for president.

Posted by Kb | Report as abusive

For me, as a married career woman, I am troubled by the fact that Palin is still willing to run for the vice presidency of the United States when she has an infant child with down syndrome. Working as a governor of a small state is one thing, but running for the the second highest position in the world is another with a special needs child. This is true for male candidates. When John Edwards did not give up his run for the presidency when his wife’s cancer came back, I was disappointed in him, too. Since republicans are always talking about putting family first, it’s really puzzling that they are still rallying around her. What this tells me is that they do not really care about family values and family–they only care about winning. Also, a candidate’s teenage child getting pregnant should not be an issue, but we are right to question Palin’s judgment on her stance on abortion, and her position against sex education and pregnancy counseling for our teenage girls.

Posted by Sophie | Report as abusive

In my experience, PTA/Soccer/Hockey moms are women who do it so their kid gets the teacher they want in school and the position they want on the team. She’s just pushed it farther than most. Palin might be a great advocate for Alaska, but there are 49 other states in the union. She has a great “image” but very little consistency and her values seem to equal what’s best for her career. Personally, I am tired of having a president that doesn’t represent me or inspire me.

Posted by Lizzie | Report as abusive

Gov.SP has more line experience than either Obama or Biden. She has had more experience than that carpetbagger HClinton who ran from Ark to NY with no experience.It’s not about gender-it’s about a good ticket to run this country.Dems are worried because they have no experience-no military experience-no line or executive experience–so they attack a woman, a family-
shame on them-Race results–GOP in a photo finish! Dems out for another 8 years–LOL!
Go Navy-Go Mom!–DRW

Posted by Dennis R. White | Report as abusive

This sums it up: http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/9  /2/1613/27485/447/581295

I’ve had enough. Here’s a side-by-side comparison, which I hope might be useful “talking points” for all you – go forth and multiply.

1980 – 1984
Obama: B.A. in political science with a specialization in international relations from Columbia University.

Palin: Wasilla High School, captain of the state-champion basketball team. Miss Wasilla, runner-up in the Miss Alaska pageant, also Miss Congeniality, although that is now disputed.

Him: Ivy League degree.
Her: tiara.

1985 – 1990
Obama: moved to Chicago; became a community organizer as director of the Developing Communities Project (DCP), a church-based community organization on Chicago’s far South Side. During his three years as the DCP’s director, its staff grew from 1 to 13 and its annual budget grew from $70,000 to $400,000, with accomplishments including helping set up a job training program, a college preparatory tutoring program, and a tenants’ rights organization.

Moved to Boston to attend Harvard Law School. Selected as an editor and then elected president of the Harvard Law Review, a full-time volunteer position functioning as editor-in-chief and supervising the law review’s staff of 80 editors.

Palin: Bachelor of Science degree in communications-journalism, with a minor in political science from the University of Idaho. Brief stint as a sports reporter for local Anchorage television stations; left to join her husband in commercial fishing.

Him: sterling legal education.
Her: sportscaster.

1991 – 1995
Obama: graduated magna cum laude from Harvard Law School; received contract and advance to write a book (“Dreams from my Father”) as well as a fellowship at the University of Chicago Law School. Directed the Illinois Project Vote from April to October 1992, a voter registration drive with a staff of 10 and 700 volunteers that achieved its goal of registering 150,000 of 400,000 unregistered African Americans in the state, leading Crain’s Chicago Business to name Obama to its 1993 list of “40 under Forty” powers to be. Appointed as a Lecturer in constitutional law at the University of Chicago. Joined Davis, Miner, Barnhill & Galland, a 12-attorney law firm specializing in civil rights litigation and neighborhood economic development. Active in several community organizations, usually as a board member.

Palin: member of the Alasaka Independence Party which advocates “Alaska First”. Elected to Wasilla city council.

Him: Expert on our nation’s fundamental legal principles.
Her: plotted to leave the Union; thinks Pledge of Allegiance was written by our founding fathers, doesn’t know what a Vice President does.

1996 – 2000
Obama: promoted to Senior Lecturer in constitutional law at the University of Chicago Law School. Elected to the Illinois Senate. Sponsored more than 800 bills. In 2000, lost a Democratic primary run for the U.S. House of Representatives to four-term incumbent Bobby Rush by a margin of two to one.

Palin: elected as mayor of Wasilla (population 5,470), defeating the incumbent by a total of 616 votes to 413. Town budget, $8 million (3 millionths of the Federal budget), approximately 100 employees. Reduced property taxes but increased sales taxes. Fired the Wasilla police chief, citing a failure to support her administration. (He then sued Palin on the grounds that he was fired because he supported the campaign of Palin’s opponent, but his suit was dismissed when the judge ruled that Palin had the right under state law to fire city employees, even for political reasons.) Hired a DC lobbyist to bring $27 million in earmarks to the city. Wasilla had zero debt when she entered office but she left it with indebtedness of over $22 million, including $15 million-plus for construction of a hockey center which was built on a piece of property that the city didn’t even have clear title to, a matter that is still in litigation. Attempted to ban books from the city library.

Him: sponsored 800 bills.
Her: swayed 616 voters.

2001 – 2004
Obama: reelected in 2002 and became chairman of the Illinois Senate’s Health and Human Services Committee.

Publicly spoke out against the invasion of Iraq BEFORE the congressional authorization in 2002, and then again before the actual invasion in 2003.

Wrote and delivered the keynote address at the 2004 Democratic National Convention.

November 2004: elected to the US Senate, receiving over 3.5 million votes, more than 70% of total.

Palin: elected president of the Alaska Conference of Mayors. Unsuccessful bid for lieutenant governor, coming in second in a five-way race in the Republican primary, receiving 19,000 votes. Appointed to the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, served as chairman from 2003 to 2004 and also served as Ethics Supervisor. Resigned in protest over the “lack of ethics” of fellow Republican members. Exposed the state Republican Party’s chairman, Randy Ruedrich, for doing party work on public time and working closely with a company he was supposed to be regulating. Director of Ted Stevens’ 527 group.

Him: demonstrated the wisdom to oppose the Iraq folly before it even began.
Her: hasn’t really thought much about Iraq – despite the fact that 17 Alaskans have died there

2005 to present
Obama: Sworn in as the fifth-ever African-American U.S. senator. Worked with Republican Senator Lugar to author and implement a program to locate and dismantle stray Russian WMD’s. Designated by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid as the party’s point man on ethics. Worked with Russ Feingold to pass a major ethics/lobbying reform bill. Cosponsored, with John McCain, the Secure America and Orderly Immigration Act. Called for increased fuel efficiency standards (3 percent every year for 15 years). Assignments on the Senate Committees for Foreign Relations, Veterans’ Affairs, and Homeland Security. Chairman of the Senate’s subcommittee on European Affairs. As a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, made official trips to Eastern Europe, the Middle East, Central Asia and Africa. Waged a tremendous battle to become the Democratic presidential nominee. Currently manages 2,500 campaign employees and a budget of $40-$50 million/month.

Palin: 2005: board member, Valley Hospital Association, which runs the Mat-Su Regional Medical Center in Wasilla.

Became youngest and first female Governor of Alaska, taking office in December, 2006. Received 114,600 votes. The population of Alaska is 683,478 and more than 50% of the state budget comes from oil revenues, not taxes as in other states. Gross State Product: $44 billion (including the oil revenue). Ranking 45 of 50.
Auctioned off the Governor’s jet on eBay. Took on fellow-Republican Senator Ted Stevens to come clean about the federal investigation into his financial dealings. Promoted oil and natural gas resource development in Alaska. Helped pass a tax increase on oil company profits. Formed a sub-cabinet group of advisers to address climate change but does not accept that it is man-made. Objected to listing polar bears as an endangered species because it might hurt oil and gas development in the bears’ habitat. Was for the bridge to nowhere before she was against it. However, Alaska kept the federal money. Denied her daughter was pregnant before she confirmed it. Supported abstinence-only education.Currently under a bipartisan investigation for abuse of power for dismissing Alaska’s Public Safety Commissioner. Commander-in-Chief of the Alaska National Guard, but has played no role in national defense activities, even when they involve the Alaska National Guard. (The entire operation is under federal control, and the governor is not briefed on situations.)

Obtained her first passport in 2007 to perform visits to the Alaska National Guard in Kuwait and Germany. (Foreign experience so limited that a stopover in Ireland listed on her resume.)

Him: Impressive figure on the national stage who knows how Congress works and is engaged with foreign policy issues.
Her: small state governor for 21 months; “next to Russia”, but that is just 1 of the 190 countries in the world she has never been to.

Conclusion: the word “executive” is not some kind of magic force multiplier when placed in front of the word “experience”.

Posted by Kb | Report as abusive

I crack up when I am reading any blog, liberal or conservative. It makes no difference. You all argue the issues and discuss the candidates but, having worked in government previously (which I hated) I would bet BIG money that significantly less than 25% of you have ever even considered speaking your mind to anyone who mattered. Finger pointing does nothing productive and makes the other side angry. Have you ever considered voicing your opinions to your local, state of federal legislators? Or do you just rely on others to do your dirty work? We were born into this great democracy with some very basic rights for which our founding fathers strongly believed. USE THEM IN A PROFESSIONAL WAY, QUIT MUDSLING AND COMPLAINING!!! Debate is healthy but unless the person you are debating is a spineless jelly fish, chances are great you will not change their mind. BTW, for the record, I am an independent, educated, self employed, female, OH voter who voted for Obama in the primaries. I made a switch to McCain several months back because Obama has ABSOLUTELY NO SUBSTANCE (or true stance) and wants to tax the crap out of me. One thing is for sure no matter who wins you can bet your bippy that I will be attaching my saddle to their back and riding them hard as I tell them what I think.

Posted by Melissa | Report as abusive

It is truly terrifying to read many of the comments here. People are “Excited” to vote for McSame and Palin, simply because she’s a woman? I used to think American voters were pretty savvy when it came to politics until I talked with a Republican woman who had voted for Dubya because he was “sexy”. People, people, people…this woman wants to take us back to the days of the Waltons. And, if McSame dies of cancer or old age, then she is in the White House. She wants to believe than humans have ZERO impact on global warming, that all you have to do is teach children to “say no to sex” (didn’t seem to work, did it Sarah?), that polar bears can swim the entire summer without harm, that drilling for oil is great (even though it would take 10 years to see any benefit) and finally that we teach religious dogma in school. This woman in the White House? If “she” was a “he”, would you still be as excited? If McSame is elected, I’m moving to Canada. At least it will be nice and warm there.

Posted by Bosco Bob | Report as abusive

What was Palin’s voter registered as a Democrat or Republican??????? Her husband and her oldest son is said to be Democrat

Posted by Linda | Report as abusive

There is something rotten in Denmark with this choice.

Posted by Linda | Report as abusive

My My aren’t the criticizers pure as the Alaskan driven snow! Who doesn’t know a family where the daughter is in “trouble”? At least the Palin family has chosen to love their daughter no matter and the Father of the child wants to make it “legal”. Good for them. Such petty politics.

Posted by Ray | Report as abusive

Sarah Palin is a Dominionist – i.e. someone who believes that the United States should become a theocratic state – a Christian version of Iran. Ever see the Dominionist flag – a white cross in a blue field, surrounded by red and white stripes? That’s what evangelical Christians fervently want: an end to freedom as we know it. A Biblical Republic would be at war 100% of the time. “Heretics”, “adulterers”, and “witches” (i.e. feminists) would be publicly stoned to death. Imagine the Dark Ages, but with 21st century weapons. This is why Dobson, Robertson, et al support her so fervently. McCain is old and has had recurrent cancer and other ailments. His death in office would allow the evangelicals to pull off the coup they so desperately desire. All of the “emergency” rules they need to suspend the Constitution and arrest dissidents are already in place. All that is needed is a catalyst, i.e. another “terrorist” attack. These are the stakes in this election. Secular government or religious tyranny. Freedom or slavery. Forget about Palin’s sordid personal life. It’s what she believes that should worry us.

Posted by Mike | Report as abusive

I stayed home with my children for 7 years. Guess what now I have to rebuild my credits to be receive SS disability if something happens to me. So I guess our Moto is stay home be a good mom and if you get sick your out of luck.

I think its degrading to say women just want to vote for the same sex, regardless of policy directly affecting womens rights. That same logic would conclude that Biden would attract Older, white males to obama, because people vote for whatever is physically similar to themselves.

Posted by matt | Report as abusive

I am not buying the whole Hillary voters being persuaded to vote for Mccain/Palin just because there is a woman VP on the ticket. This is just what the GOP wants everyone to think. Its just a ploy. Women are not as shallow as the Republicans are trying to make them out to be. Most women I have been talking to are actually offended when asked if this will help them decide their candidate.

Not only is Palin not a very good choice when it comes to experience with foreign policy and management of large systems she was also a poor strategic choice that is going to backfire on the Republicans.

You can stop digging guys your hole is already deep enough.

Posted by natheya | Report as abusive

What kind of woman sacrifices the reputation of her 17 year old daughter on the altar of personal ambition? What kind of man chooses a woman with no foreign policy credentials to be one melanoma away from the presidency? In both cases, there is a serious lack of good judgement.

Posted by Eleanor | Report as abusive

From the comments I’ve read so far, most of the negative comments about Sarah Palin are due to her beliefs, which the last time I checked, are the beliefs of the Republican party. To attack her personally for those beliefs is pointless. Obviously if you don’t agree with her beliefs, you are not a Republican. Millions of men and women share those same beliefs. Also, since it takes two incomes to support a typical household these days, there are many men in this country who are pitching in and helping to raise their kids, unlike the past when women took care of the house and kids and men simply earned an income. Sarah Palin’s kids have a great example to follow. Her desire to bring about change and her strong convictions to stand up for what she believes will surely have a trickle down effect on her family. I’m sure that if she didn’t have a family who supported her, then she would not have been able to achieve what she already has and she would not have accepted the offer to be Vice President. I personally admire the strength and leadership that she has shown.

What in the world is wrong with you people? Women can’t be
politicians/executives/rulers because they have children?
Well what about QUEEN ELIZABETH? both I and II? they were both Queens, ruled, and had children, they weren’t effective??? What about Angela Merkle of Germany? Nancy Pelosi has children, she shouldn’t be speaker of the Senate?
just to give you a few short expamples of effective women in power.
Those of you who are so down on a woman as V/P should get your heads out of your rectal cavities and think with your brains. Or have you been told by the men in your lives to let them do the thinking for you? This is what it sounds like.
I assure you that you can’t not control a teenager with raging hormones 24/7, can’t be done, I don’t care how damn
confined you keep them. Chastity belts went out with the Crusaders. These teens can at times be hell bent on making their own decisions, regardless of how they were brought up. PARENTS can not be held accountable for these teens. We have 18 year olds in the military, with their hands on the triggers in the Armed Forces, you can bet they don’t keep their pants zipper.

YOU ALL NEED TO GET A LIFE AND GET YOUR NOSES OUT OF THE PALIN’S PERSONAL BUSINESS. GOV PALIN HAS THE RIGHT TO BE NOMINATED V/P IF SO SELECTED. I was for McCain initially and then he got the balls to make a decent selection.
What we will see now is the WDC cronies and good ole boys, network get a good dose of cleaning up their acts. They have had their hands in too many pork pies for so many years. They are on NOTICE NOW TO CLEAN UP THEIR ACTS. lol

Palin is strong and has the guts to do the job. LORD, I can’t wait to see the housekeeping get started. lol, lol

McCain/Palin 08

John McCain tends to “shoot from the hip” we know that. He first courted the evangelicals with Pator Hague, ooops. Now he again makes an error in judgment choosing Gov Palin, we all know this. A big issue with Sarah Palin is that her and her husband support the separation of Alaska from the United States! That is a fact! How could John McCain pick such an unpatriotic individual to be a VP of the United State. I would think being patriotic would be a prerequisite! In two week Gov. Palin will be jettisoned from the ticket. The Republican base can put up with a lot, but if you are shown to be unpatriotic you’re out, no if ands or buts!

Posted by Ed | Report as abusive

Sounds like realmerv needs to take their own advice…”do research and stop posting stupid comments”. Obama has way more experience than Palin. If realmerv would have done their research they would have found that Obama served as a State Senator for 6 years AND then moved on to become a U.S. Senator. Not only was he in the State Senate for six years, but he also taught as a professor, and he is a civil rights lawyer. He also has been running a campaign for over 18 months and dealing with harsh criticism just like your precious Palin. Realmerv makes the comment that Governor’s, not Senator’s are the one’s who have the real experience….newsflash…McCain is a SENATOR. It’s pretty sad when the VP, with a lot less experience is more interesting that the Prez candidate that they are running with. As a women, I am offended that McCain thinks you can trade one vagina for another and no one will notice. There might be some femocrats out there that would vote for McCain/Palin, but Clinton supporters support Clinton, not her vagina. I find it interesting that Palin chose to use the words ” Bristol made the DECISION to keep the baby”, uh…not really folks. When it comes to Palin’s platform there is no decision…you have the baby regardless. Maybe Palin will think about those words that she chose to use and realize that the right to a decision is important. For anyone out there saying that her daughters pregnancy is a private, family affair, you really need to think about that. Palin beleives that abstinence only is the way to go in our public schools. She is trying to have us buy in that this works…um yeah…this is why her daughter ended up pregnant. Palin should have talked to her daughter about using some birth control. I do not think Palin is the right woman for the job. It appears that she has a lot of drama in her life and maybe should take care of her family rather than a country. I find Palin to be contradicting…on the one hand she wants to be VP and be progessive, and then on the other she wants us pregnant and barefoot in the kitchen…oh…just like McCain.

Posted by Kim | Report as abusive

I’m an Australian (so really have no say in the U.S. elections). However, for those Americans saying the rest of the world is laughing at McCain because of his VP running mate decision actually have it wrong. I personally feel it was a stroke of genius. Another thing Obama loyalists say is that Palin is “unknown”…. but Obama was unknown as well until just a few months ago.

Posted by Matt | Report as abusive

All we saw last night was that she could read a script and perform on demand. Where was the substance? What will she actually do for America? What changes will she actually make and what does she actually bring to the table? No one knows this yet.

Hillary has earned respect over years of service, she had the experience and the goals that made her a viable choice. Palin hasn’t been out for even a week and we are supposed to just take McCain’s word that she has the experience and the character to be in the White House? He won’t even let her talk to the press by herself. People that are jumping on her bandwagon don’t know her they know the spin that the McCain camp has put out there.

It is exciting that women are playing a part in this election but shouldn’t it be about substance over style?

Posted by nellie | Report as abusive

I can’t imagine what would cause a female HRC supporter to even consider voting McCain/Palin because of Sarah Palin’s addition to the ticket. Palin and Clinton are polar opposites on every issue. Would someone who supported HRC and her policies/values who now supports McCain/Palin explain how that could be?

Posted by Cindy Norris | Report as abusive