Tales from the Trail

Inside the Tent: Women voters on Sarah Palin

September 1, 2008

John McCain ‘s selection of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate was the latest twist in an election year that has had no shortage of surprises — especially after Palin announced in the midst of the Republican National Convention that her 17-year-old daughter was pregnant.

Inside the Tent talked to four women in St. Paul — a Democrat, an independent, and two Republicans — about Palin’s impact on the GOP ticket . What impact do you think Palin will have? Submit your answer in the comments section.

Sandra Ross: “Some of the Hillary supporters, they’re aren’t convinced yet, but they’re leaning toward her because they feel a woman should be in a strong leadership position.”

Barbara Patchen: “I know two people who are considering the McCain ticket just because of (Palin), but personally I’m mystified.”

Amy Sawyer: “For me it’s more about the person and the issues than gender. But she seems like she would be friendly and brings energy to that ticket.”

Tiesha Powell:”She’s a superwoman to me … I’m working too, trying to prove myself, and Sarah just says, “this can be done.”

Inside the Tent has more than 40 delegates and other attendees in Denver and St. Paul, equipped with video cameras to capture the conventions from the ground up.

Click here for a full list of contributors at the Republican National Convention.

Click here for more Inside the Tent contributions.

Click here for more Reuters 2008 election coverage.

Comments
92 comments so far | RSS Comments RSS

Sarah Pilen has more executive experience than Hillary. I think she’ll make a great VP and hopefully the first woman president.

Posted by Jen Binford | Report as abusive

What kind of mother humiliates her unwed, pregnant daughter by literally telling the whole world about it? No wonder Bristol got pregnant, she is looking for the love she clearly does NOT get from her mother.
What kind of mother abandons her intellectually disabled child while he is an infant, to go on the campaign trail?

Posted by Roy Fischer | Report as abusive

A nation full of fabulous candidates and this is the best the Republican party can do? For shame. The rest of the world is laughing right now at America, as we confuse love of childbearing for any credible poilitical experience.

Put me in the “was considering McCain but just became a door to door supporter of Obama”.

Posted by cmac | Report as abusive

This years election is actually taken a new turn with the choice of Palin, whose credentials are so totally inspiring. She is a candidate who is going through tough times and has shown all what it means to be stoical in the face of adversities.
She is a former Mayor who was voted in by her state to clean up the augean stable of corruption and despite being the youngest and first female Governor of Alaska she has delivered beyond what she promised to the extent that she is the candidate that has got 80% vote of confidence in her constituency.

She is the exemplary family woman, who values the life of her baby with Down’s syndrome as well as that of her unborn grand-child, not to talk of the desire of her to own up for her mistake by keeping her pregnancy.

Perhaps the only candidate with more experience than her in leadership is McCain. None of the others had travelled out on state functions (before the race for the Presidency began and hyped overseas travels began) than her.

Give me a break!!! Palin is the face, voice and vision of change that America desires and deserves.

She has had some slip-ups, which stand her out as a human being, not enough to crucify her, except we desire angels to come and run the country.

She is not an Hillary Clinton, who is an icon for propping her husband up, when some tried to crucify him, but she has got a dotting husband who is ready to go the hog with her in the move to salvage the pride of America as envisioned by the founding fathers.

She is first a person, then a wife and a mother whose maternal instincts have proven to be above suspect. Her family needs her… but so are the millions of Americans who are tired of the recycling of the same set of politicians and their “trusted” acolytes.

Hillary Clinton was the face of change, but despondency set in after she was robbed of victory by the insidious cancellation of her primary victories and being hounded out of the race by the (un)democrats.

Happily, change is back on course with the choice of Palin.

Which ticket can turn the energy ticket, the livewire of the economy around or had contributed more and is still doing so to National Security?

Palin, not even McCain, nor Obama or Biden is the true face of humanistic change.

Posted by Rockstar | Report as abusive

The US was not founded ‘to be a God fearing country’, like some liars wrote here. The Christian Right simply has no right to try to impose its religious beliefs in non-religious secular sphere – politics, domestic and foreign policy. Your own hypocracy and false moral superiority is highlighted by Palin’s own difficulties with her pregnant daughter and the lies (is that youngest son hers or her daughters?) she propagates to maintain an illusion.

Someof the responses I;m readin merely highlight how easily cowed, bamboozled and manipulated American voters are. For too many of you, any old woman will do. You vote based purely on stereotypical preconceptions, which you then veil beneath false rationale.

Posted by Eric Honest | Report as abusive

Sarah Palin is a ‘Maverick’ and she is the ‘hope’ for tomorrow. She is a proven leader and will be an excellent choice for VP as the ceiling is finally shattered for women and women’s rights! No longer forced to step back and be ashamed to be intelligent. Sarah is what the fight is about people! I’m sure she is not without faults, none of us are, but I believe that she possess the intelligence, guts, and determination, not to mention integrity, to be the VP ’08 and President 2016.

Posted by Dana | Report as abusive

To the “conservatives”, where is your moral standard? How can you defend a mother who abadons 4-month old baby, a mother who abandons a pregnant teenage daughter. Where is your conscience?

Posted by Joseph L | Report as abusive

I think presidentiality has more to do with integrity and following the constitution than experience – every president surrounds themselves with experts in agriculture, foreign relations, financial matters, etc. However, I do suspect that being a congressperson prepares one for presidential office more than being a govenor does, in terms of familiarity with the congress and matters of national concern.

The republican candidates seem to be hellbent on enforcing their religious views (although all 4 profess to be the same religion…?!) and excluding certain groups of people from certain rights. The democratic candidates seem to be trying to push America toward European-styled (ie the rest of the free world) socialism. Which I don’t see as too bad, as we already pay ridiculously high taxes, and it would be nice to personally get more from paying so much to live here (healthcare).

What about Nader? Why are they so afraid to let a 3rd party debate? Are they worried he might win? What could it hurt?

Posted by natetrontx | Report as abusive

I for one am getting pretty tired of these Christian Conservative nutcakes with their narrow politcal agenda putting incompentent people in our White House. Do you all think the country is better off after 8 years of your precious George Bush? Don’t you know you been the pawns of Karl Rove? Bush, Cheney and Co. throw you an occasional bone and get you all whooped up about gay marriage or whatever, and you come running to your polling places like Pavlov’s dog!

You get all excited about “family values” Palin, but do you think someone who was recently the mayor of a town of 9000 people, and who has governed a “state” that is smaller in population that a major city, is qualified to govern on the international stage? With McCain’ age, it is entirely possible. God help us when Russia invades Ukraine and the Iranians put the finishing touches on their nukes (with American and Israeli flags on the nose cones) – Sarah will be busy at some PTA meeting and won’t even notice!

Posted by Chuck in California | Report as abusive

I don’t know what disturbs me more. McCain’s lack of judgement in selecting someone with so little experience and so many family problems or Palin’s lack of judgement in agreeing to be his running mate. It’s scary to think what will happen to this country if these two win the election! Heaven only knows what decisions they will make once they are in office. Why in the world would McCain have overlooked so many other qualified candidates? (Heck, I’m more qualified to fill the VP position than she does.)

Governor Huckabee put it best on Fox yesterday….(paraphrase) ‘Governor Sara Palin got more votes in her little home town election for Mayor, than Biden got running for President’!!

LOLPIMP!

McCain/Palin ’08

Posted by Willow | Report as abusive

I’m insulted that anyone would think that just because Sarah Palin is a woman, and I’m a woman, that I would vote for her. She is unquestionably unqualified. Any intelligent person, male or female, would want the best person for the office.

Posted by Marianne | Report as abusive

As the media continues to roll out story after story about Sarah Palin, I only grow more mystified about the lack of thought and consideration behind her selection for the VP slot. This lady has a lot of baggage, a decided lack of experience, and some serious family issues, which, in my opinion, should take precedence over political interests. It just doesn’t make sense.

As for her daughter’s pregnancy, I agree that it should be a private family matter (and would have remained so had not Palin accepted this bid.) But equally so were the circumstances and subsequent moral decision surrounding the birth of their special needs son, which the RNC trotted out with bells on. Why? Because that tableau fit in with their family values stance, while the pregnancy of a unmarried teen is an embarrassment to folks of that faction From where I sit, the RNC’s offended outrage at the public discussion of Bristol’s pregnancy seems more than a bit contrived. And the McCain people knew about this situation? Sure. I think a little honesty would go a long way here.

Posted by Johanna | Report as abusive

Just like the Republican’s. When the real issues are too hard to address, such as the economy and the war! Let’s just divert the people from the issues. Yes, I’m a woman with children. I’m more concerned about the issues!!!! Not whether there’s going to be a woman in the WhiteHouse. I’m a former Hillary supporter, not because she’s a woman. I fully support Obama. I strongly believe he can lead this country toward the change we need. We’re a Nation that’s in big trouble. Do you guys know how much debt we’re in? It’s in the trillions! Do you know how much we’ve borrowed from Japan and China?

The reason why Palin’s daughter is in much discussion is the simple fact as usual, the same rules do not apply to REPUBLICANS in which they want us to live by. By the way, yes, I’m a former Republican. I’m tired of all the rules, such as abstinance, anti-abortion, Christian Values throwed in our faces, until it effects a member of the Republican party and then theres the excuses and justification for it all. I now do not define myself to a party, I weight the ISSUES.

Vote on the basics of the Issues, not a party or because there’s a woman on the ticket. By the way ladies, McCain has insulted my and your intelligence. When someone is quoted as stating, she hasn’t been told what the VP does, that tells me, she didn’t ask enough questions, as well as her role WILL NOT be significant! She was put in this position to get the woman’s vote only!

Posted by Monica | Report as abusive

You can’t get more real than this. A woman handling real issues on a daily basis. She has a lot on her plate already and to be vice-president to boot!

Posted by CONNIE JOHNSON | Report as abusive

SP has never had a job for more than six months where she was unable to take her baby to work with her, unable to take time away from the office whenever she needed, or did not have assistants to do her work for her or take care of her children.

Palin always attempts to mislead American women into believing the perks she enjoyed as Mayor of a tiny rural town and as governor of a sparsely-populated state are also available to the Average working mom.

While she takes on-the-job childcare and paid childcare leave for herself, she is a conservative, fundamentalist who does not support government-subsidized childcare or paid childcare leave for average, employed Americans.

Posted by Barbara McDaniel | Report as abusive

Is McCaine looking for another Stepford “trophy wife”? I know most women will see this as what it is: a bad attempt by a sexist out of touch man who is looking for a woman with 1950′s values from small town America. Of course Alaskans (all 700,000 of them) love her. Alaska is a huge exporter of oil to the lower 48, where they pay no taxes and get gifts from her all the time.

Posted by John Z | Report as abusive

Governor Palin may be able to take her baby to work with her and nurse during a meeting as Governor of Alaska – a state with a population of 626,000 people. It is a different story being the VP of the United States. No CEO in any corporation would do such a thing. I think a woman with children is certainly capable of being the VP or president of the US, but I do question the judgment and “family first” priority of a new mother with a newborn having special needs.

When it comes down to it, where will her allegiance be? With the MILLIONS of people relying upon her to lead the country, or with her children, whether they be pregnant, sick or whatever the issue? Will she be in the Middle East brokering a peace deal and suddenly have to fly home to attend to the health care needs of her infant son? She would be a cruel, heartless mother if she did no less, but she will be an ineffective, laughable joke of a world leader if she places her family priorities ahead of her country.

“America First” or “Family First” Which is it going to be?

Posted by MagikJack | Report as abusive

Go Palin go! My only worry is that once she becomes VP her individuality and optimism will be squashed by the DC politcal machine. It’s refreshing to have a Washingon outsider on the ticket…but even freshmen senators start towing the party line before too long (i.e. Obama’s acceptance speech.) Any optimism and hope that makes it’s way to Washington seems to quickly be killed by cynicism and “experience.” McCain’s reputation as a “Maverick” is much more of a beacon for change in this election than Obama’s bumper sticker slogans can ever hope for.

I believe McCain/Palin will stand a better chance of standing up their principles and values. Obama can’t even stand up with his own “principles” on the campaign trail once polling results come in. How on earth would he stand a chance against a real threat? His only threat now is polling numbers, and he changes direction whichever way the political wind blows. I’m getting whiplash trying to keep up with his positions as they change from day to day. And the Obama Kool-Aid drinkers go right along…much like Joe Biden who wouldn’t know an original idea if his Amtrak train crashed into it! But follow them to the ends, the uneducated masses surely will follow them to the ends. The American Idol culture still thinks it’s “cool” to support a radical socialist for the White House…You lemmings!! Thank God our voting system is not by phone or text message!!

And to the Hilary supporters who are “insulted” that McCain chose a woman…get over yourselves! Are you just bitterly sticking to your anti-guns and anti-religion?? I’m a woman conservative, and have just become energized by Palin as the VP candidate. If you want to vote for Obama’s socialist dogma…go right ahead! You’re fooling yourselves to think that he has the ability to give all the hand-outs he’s promised. With money from where? Be careful in how quickly you want to pull troops home from Iraq. If that region is not stabalized with a US friendly government…how much do you think the price of a barrel of oil would go to?

If Obama happens to win and we have a Dem in the White House and a Dem majority congress….then see ya in 2010 when Pelosi and Murtha lose their majority seats, and then in 2012 when Palin is the Rep. Presidential candidate!!!!

Posted by Kt in GA | Report as abusive

The decision by John McCain to pick Sarah Palin as his running mate must be the result of a temper tantrum due to some Republican in-fighting. Now that she is being vetted before our eyes, it demonstrates what poor judgement he has.

McCain has derided Obama for lack of experience. What kind of experience does Sarah Palin have? Oh, I forgot. Cindy McCain told us Ms. Palin has foreign relations experience due to the fact that Alaska is so close to Russia.

At least the Republicans are supplying lots of things for us to laugh about, but the laughter could quickly turn to tears if the Republicans manage to steal another election.

Posted by Jane Lawson | Report as abusive

No, all evangelicals will not rally behind Palin, nor McCain.

I am an evangelical. My reasons are as follows:

The least evangelicals can do is to hold John McCain to the same standard as they held Bill Clinton. Adultery by a Republican Navy captain is just as much a sin as adultery by a Democratic president.

For 23 of the 25 years John McCain has been in Washington, we have had a Republican president and/or a Republican senate majority. Abortions are just as available as aspirin. A McCain presidency won’t change anything. Roe V. Wade cannot be overturned. The Rove machine just wants us to think it can. The court decision is actually not a result of activist judges. It is established law. There are no examples of this kind of law being overturned.

You cannot be pro-life and support keeping American troops in Iraq for another 100 years. You cannot be pro-life while paraphrasing the Beach Boys promoting an aggressive war on Iran. God hates hands that shed innocent blood, period — Proverbs 6:16-18. It doesn’t matter whether those hands belong to an abortionist or an infantry corporal.

We Christians have forgotten that our citizenship is first and foremost in Heaven –Philippians 3:20 — and that Jesus’ Kingdom is not of this world –John 18:36. We follow leaders like McCain who are so desperate for earthly glory that they will totally disregard Christianity in order to attain it. What shall it profit a man –(Matthew 16:26) James Dobson now says that he will endorse John McCain. That says it all.

I for one am not going to vote for a man who hires Karl Rove to help pick Sarah Palin simply to get my vote. In 2000 the republicans counted on evangelicals not thinking for ourselves. They were right. In 2004, they counted on us not thinking for ourselves again. Again, they were right. Not this time. I’m thinking for myself, and encouraging my fellow church goers to do the same.

She is someone who wants to teach our children abstinence when this teaching did not work in her own home.

I have heard other Christians excusing Palin because her daughter is going to marry the baby’s dad and because she is keeping the baby – they are using that as an excuse for pre-marital sex. A perfect example of “do as I say not as I do” let me change the laws to what I think its correct even though its not what I will personally do. And best of all the Christians organizations are excusing her.

Religion and politics is a dangerous mix, this is just a good reminder as to why we have separation of religion and state.

I am devoted, active, and evangelical.

And I will not vote for John McCain for president.

Posted by Kb | Report as abusive

For me, as a married career woman, I am troubled by the fact that Palin is still willing to run for the vice presidency of the United States when she has an infant child with down syndrome. Working as a governor of a small state is one thing, but running for the the second highest position in the world is another with a special needs child. This is true for male candidates. When John Edwards did not give up his run for the presidency when his wife’s cancer came back, I was disappointed in him, too. Since republicans are always talking about putting family first, it’s really puzzling that they are still rallying around her. What this tells me is that they do not really care about family values and family–they only care about winning. Also, a candidate’s teenage child getting pregnant should not be an issue, but we are right to question Palin’s judgment on her stance on abortion, and her position against sex education and pregnancy counseling for our teenage girls.

Posted by Sophie | Report as abusive

In my experience, PTA/Soccer/Hockey moms are women who do it so their kid gets the teacher they want in school and the position they want on the team. She’s just pushed it farther than most. Palin might be a great advocate for Alaska, but there are 49 other states in the union. She has a great “image” but very little consistency and her values seem to equal what’s best for her career. Personally, I am tired of having a president that doesn’t represent me or inspire me.

Posted by Lizzie | Report as abusive

Gov.SP has more line experience than either Obama or Biden. She has had more experience than that carpetbagger HClinton who ran from Ark to NY with no experience.It’s not about gender-it’s about a good ticket to run this country.Dems are worried because they have no experience-no military experience-no line or executive experience–so they attack a woman, a family-
shame on them-Race results–GOP in a photo finish! Dems out for another 8 years–LOL!
Go Navy-Go Mom!–DRW

Posted by Dennis R. White | Report as abusive

This sums it up: http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/9  /2/1613/27485/447/581295

I’ve had enough. Here’s a side-by-side comparison, which I hope might be useful “talking points” for all you – go forth and multiply.

1980 – 1984
Obama: B.A. in political science with a specialization in international relations from Columbia University.

Palin: Wasilla High School, captain of the state-champion basketball team. Miss Wasilla, runner-up in the Miss Alaska pageant, also Miss Congeniality, although that is now disputed.

Him: Ivy League degree.
Her: tiara.

1985 – 1990
Obama: moved to Chicago; became a community organizer as director of the Developing Communities Project (DCP), a church-based community organization on Chicago’s far South Side. During his three years as the DCP’s director, its staff grew from 1 to 13 and its annual budget grew from $70,000 to $400,000, with accomplishments including helping set up a job training program, a college preparatory tutoring program, and a tenants’ rights organization.

Moved to Boston to attend Harvard Law School. Selected as an editor and then elected president of the Harvard Law Review, a full-time volunteer position functioning as editor-in-chief and supervising the law review’s staff of 80 editors.

Palin: Bachelor of Science degree in communications-journalism, with a minor in political science from the University of Idaho. Brief stint as a sports reporter for local Anchorage television stations; left to join her husband in commercial fishing.

Him: sterling legal education.
Her: sportscaster.

1991 – 1995
Obama: graduated magna cum laude from Harvard Law School; received contract and advance to write a book (“Dreams from my Father”) as well as a fellowship at the University of Chicago Law School. Directed the Illinois Project Vote from April to October 1992, a voter registration drive with a staff of 10 and 700 volunteers that achieved its goal of registering 150,000 of 400,000 unregistered African Americans in the state, leading Crain’s Chicago Business to name Obama to its 1993 list of “40 under Forty” powers to be. Appointed as a Lecturer in constitutional law at the University of Chicago. Joined Davis, Miner, Barnhill & Galland, a 12-attorney law firm specializing in civil rights litigation and neighborhood economic development. Active in several community organizations, usually as a board member.

Palin: member of the Alasaka Independence Party which advocates “Alaska First”. Elected to Wasilla city council.

Him: Expert on our nation’s fundamental legal principles.
Her: plotted to leave the Union; thinks Pledge of Allegiance was written by our founding fathers, doesn’t know what a Vice President does.

1996 – 2000
Obama: promoted to Senior Lecturer in constitutional law at the University of Chicago Law School. Elected to the Illinois Senate. Sponsored more than 800 bills. In 2000, lost a Democratic primary run for the U.S. House of Representatives to four-term incumbent Bobby Rush by a margin of two to one.

Palin: elected as mayor of Wasilla (population 5,470), defeating the incumbent by a total of 616 votes to 413. Town budget, $8 million (3 millionths of the Federal budget), approximately 100 employees. Reduced property taxes but increased sales taxes. Fired the Wasilla police chief, citing a failure to support her administration. (He then sued Palin on the grounds that he was fired because he supported the campaign of Palin’s opponent, but his suit was dismissed when the judge ruled that Palin had the right under state law to fire city employees, even for political reasons.) Hired a DC lobbyist to bring $27 million in earmarks to the city. Wasilla had zero debt when she entered office but she left it with indebtedness of over $22 million, including $15 million-plus for construction of a hockey center which was built on a piece of property that the city didn’t even have clear title to, a matter that is still in litigation. Attempted to ban books from the city library.

Him: sponsored 800 bills.
Her: swayed 616 voters.

2001 – 2004
Obama: reelected in 2002 and became chairman of the Illinois Senate’s Health and Human Services Committee.

Publicly spoke out against the invasion of Iraq BEFORE the congressional authorization in 2002, and then again before the actual invasion in 2003.

Wrote and delivered the keynote address at the 2004 Democratic National Convention.

November 2004: elected to the US Senate, receiving over 3.5 million votes, more than 70% of total.

Palin: elected president of the Alaska Conference of Mayors. Unsuccessful bid for lieutenant governor, coming in second in a five-way race in the Republican primary, receiving 19,000 votes. Appointed to the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, served as chairman from 2003 to 2004 and also served as Ethics Supervisor. Resigned in protest over the “lack of ethics” of fellow Republican members. Exposed the state Republican Party’s chairman, Randy Ruedrich, for doing party work on public time and working closely with a company he was supposed to be regulating. Director of Ted Stevens’ 527 group.

Him: demonstrated the wisdom to oppose the Iraq folly before it even began.
Her: hasn’t really thought much about Iraq – despite the fact that 17 Alaskans have died there

2005 to present
Obama: Sworn in as the fifth-ever African-American U.S. senator. Worked with Republican Senator Lugar to author and implement a program to locate and dismantle stray Russian WMD’s. Designated by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid as the party’s point man on ethics. Worked with Russ Feingold to pass a major ethics/lobbying reform bill. Cosponsored, with John McCain, the Secure America and Orderly Immigration Act. Called for increased fuel efficiency standards (3 percent every year for 15 years). Assignments on the Senate Committees for Foreign Relations, Veterans’ Affairs, and Homeland Security. Chairman of the Senate’s subcommittee on European Affairs. As a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, made official trips to Eastern Europe, the Middle East, Central Asia and Africa. Waged a tremendous battle to become the Democratic presidential nominee. Currently manages 2,500 campaign employees and a budget of $40-$50 million/month.

Palin: 2005: board member, Valley Hospital Association, which runs the Mat-Su Regional Medical Center in Wasilla.

Became youngest and first female Governor of Alaska, taking office in December, 2006. Received 114,600 votes. The population of Alaska is 683,478 and more than 50% of the state budget comes from oil revenues, not taxes as in other states. Gross State Product: $44 billion (including the oil revenue). Ranking 45 of 50.
Auctioned off the Governor’s jet on eBay. Took on fellow-Republican Senator Ted Stevens to come clean about the federal investigation into his financial dealings. Promoted oil and natural gas resource development in Alaska. Helped pass a tax increase on oil company profits. Formed a sub-cabinet group of advisers to address climate change but does not accept that it is man-made. Objected to listing polar bears as an endangered species because it might hurt oil and gas development in the bears’ habitat. Was for the bridge to nowhere before she was against it. However, Alaska kept the federal money. Denied her daughter was pregnant before she confirmed it. Supported abstinence-only education.Currently under a bipartisan investigation for abuse of power for dismissing Alaska’s Public Safety Commissioner. Commander-in-Chief of the Alaska National Guard, but has played no role in national defense activities, even when they involve the Alaska National Guard. (The entire operation is under federal control, and the governor is not briefed on situations.)

Obtained her first passport in 2007 to perform visits to the Alaska National Guard in Kuwait and Germany. (Foreign experience so limited that a stopover in Ireland listed on her resume.)

Him: Impressive figure on the national stage who knows how Congress works and is engaged with foreign policy issues.
Her: small state governor for 21 months; “next to Russia”, but that is just 1 of the 190 countries in the world she has never been to.

Conclusion: the word “executive” is not some kind of magic force multiplier when placed in front of the word “experience”.

Posted by Kb | Report as abusive

I crack up when I am reading any blog, liberal or conservative. It makes no difference. You all argue the issues and discuss the candidates but, having worked in government previously (which I hated) I would bet BIG money that significantly less than 25% of you have ever even considered speaking your mind to anyone who mattered. Finger pointing does nothing productive and makes the other side angry. Have you ever considered voicing your opinions to your local, state of federal legislators? Or do you just rely on others to do your dirty work? We were born into this great democracy with some very basic rights for which our founding fathers strongly believed. USE THEM IN A PROFESSIONAL WAY, QUIT MUDSLING AND COMPLAINING!!! Debate is healthy but unless the person you are debating is a spineless jelly fish, chances are great you will not change their mind. BTW, for the record, I am an independent, educated, self employed, female, OH voter who voted for Obama in the primaries. I made a switch to McCain several months back because Obama has ABSOLUTELY NO SUBSTANCE (or true stance) and wants to tax the crap out of me. One thing is for sure no matter who wins you can bet your bippy that I will be attaching my saddle to their back and riding them hard as I tell them what I think.

Posted by Melissa | Report as abusive

It is truly terrifying to read many of the comments here. People are “Excited” to vote for McSame and Palin, simply because she’s a woman? I used to think American voters were pretty savvy when it came to politics until I talked with a Republican woman who had voted for Dubya because he was “sexy”. People, people, people…this woman wants to take us back to the days of the Waltons. And, if McSame dies of cancer or old age, then she is in the White House. She wants to believe than humans have ZERO impact on global warming, that all you have to do is teach children to “say no to sex” (didn’t seem to work, did it Sarah?), that polar bears can swim the entire summer without harm, that drilling for oil is great (even though it would take 10 years to see any benefit) and finally that we teach religious dogma in school. This woman in the White House? If “she” was a “he”, would you still be as excited? If McSame is elected, I’m moving to Canada. At least it will be nice and warm there.

Posted by Bosco Bob | Report as abusive

What was Palin’s voter registered as a Democrat or Republican??????? Her husband and her oldest son is said to be Democrat

Posted by Linda | Report as abusive

There is something rotten in Denmark with this choice.

Posted by Linda | Report as abusive

My My aren’t the criticizers pure as the Alaskan driven snow! Who doesn’t know a family where the daughter is in “trouble”? At least the Palin family has chosen to love their daughter no matter and the Father of the child wants to make it “legal”. Good for them. Such petty politics.

Posted by Ray | Report as abusive

Sarah Palin is a Dominionist – i.e. someone who believes that the United States should become a theocratic state – a Christian version of Iran. Ever see the Dominionist flag – a white cross in a blue field, surrounded by red and white stripes? That’s what evangelical Christians fervently want: an end to freedom as we know it. A Biblical Republic would be at war 100% of the time. “Heretics”, “adulterers”, and “witches” (i.e. feminists) would be publicly stoned to death. Imagine the Dark Ages, but with 21st century weapons. This is why Dobson, Robertson, et al support her so fervently. McCain is old and has had recurrent cancer and other ailments. His death in office would allow the evangelicals to pull off the coup they so desperately desire. All of the “emergency” rules they need to suspend the Constitution and arrest dissidents are already in place. All that is needed is a catalyst, i.e. another “terrorist” attack. These are the stakes in this election. Secular government or religious tyranny. Freedom or slavery. Forget about Palin’s sordid personal life. It’s what she believes that should worry us.

Posted by Mike | Report as abusive

I stayed home with my children for 7 years. Guess what now I have to rebuild my credits to be receive SS disability if something happens to me. So I guess our Moto is stay home be a good mom and if you get sick your out of luck.

I think its degrading to say women just want to vote for the same sex, regardless of policy directly affecting womens rights. That same logic would conclude that Biden would attract Older, white males to obama, because people vote for whatever is physically similar to themselves.

Posted by matt | Report as abusive

I am not buying the whole Hillary voters being persuaded to vote for Mccain/Palin just because there is a woman VP on the ticket. This is just what the GOP wants everyone to think. Its just a ploy. Women are not as shallow as the Republicans are trying to make them out to be. Most women I have been talking to are actually offended when asked if this will help them decide their candidate.

Not only is Palin not a very good choice when it comes to experience with foreign policy and management of large systems she was also a poor strategic choice that is going to backfire on the Republicans.

You can stop digging guys your hole is already deep enough.

Posted by natheya | Report as abusive

What kind of woman sacrifices the reputation of her 17 year old daughter on the altar of personal ambition? What kind of man chooses a woman with no foreign policy credentials to be one melanoma away from the presidency? In both cases, there is a serious lack of good judgement.

Posted by Eleanor | Report as abusive

From the comments I’ve read so far, most of the negative comments about Sarah Palin are due to her beliefs, which the last time I checked, are the beliefs of the Republican party. To attack her personally for those beliefs is pointless. Obviously if you don’t agree with her beliefs, you are not a Republican. Millions of men and women share those same beliefs. Also, since it takes two incomes to support a typical household these days, there are many men in this country who are pitching in and helping to raise their kids, unlike the past when women took care of the house and kids and men simply earned an income. Sarah Palin’s kids have a great example to follow. Her desire to bring about change and her strong convictions to stand up for what she believes will surely have a trickle down effect on her family. I’m sure that if she didn’t have a family who supported her, then she would not have been able to achieve what she already has and she would not have accepted the offer to be Vice President. I personally admire the strength and leadership that she has shown.

What in the world is wrong with you people? Women can’t be
politicians/executives/rulers because they have children?
Well what about QUEEN ELIZABETH? both I and II? they were both Queens, ruled, and had children, they weren’t effective??? What about Angela Merkle of Germany? Nancy Pelosi has children, she shouldn’t be speaker of the Senate?
just to give you a few short expamples of effective women in power.
Those of you who are so down on a woman as V/P should get your heads out of your rectal cavities and think with your brains. Or have you been told by the men in your lives to let them do the thinking for you? This is what it sounds like.
I assure you that you can’t not control a teenager with raging hormones 24/7, can’t be done, I don’t care how damn
confined you keep them. Chastity belts went out with the Crusaders. These teens can at times be hell bent on making their own decisions, regardless of how they were brought up. PARENTS can not be held accountable for these teens. We have 18 year olds in the military, with their hands on the triggers in the Armed Forces, you can bet they don’t keep their pants zipper.

YOU ALL NEED TO GET A LIFE AND GET YOUR NOSES OUT OF THE PALIN’S PERSONAL BUSINESS. GOV PALIN HAS THE RIGHT TO BE NOMINATED V/P IF SO SELECTED. I was for McCain initially and then he got the balls to make a decent selection.
What we will see now is the WDC cronies and good ole boys, network get a good dose of cleaning up their acts. They have had their hands in too many pork pies for so many years. They are on NOTICE NOW TO CLEAN UP THEIR ACTS. lol

Palin is strong and has the guts to do the job. LORD, I can’t wait to see the housekeeping get started. lol, lol

McCain/Palin 08

John McCain tends to “shoot from the hip” we know that. He first courted the evangelicals with Pator Hague, ooops. Now he again makes an error in judgment choosing Gov Palin, we all know this. A big issue with Sarah Palin is that her and her husband support the separation of Alaska from the United States! That is a fact! How could John McCain pick such an unpatriotic individual to be a VP of the United State. I would think being patriotic would be a prerequisite! In two week Gov. Palin will be jettisoned from the ticket. The Republican base can put up with a lot, but if you are shown to be unpatriotic you’re out, no if ands or buts!

Posted by Ed | Report as abusive

Sounds like realmerv needs to take their own advice…”do research and stop posting stupid comments”. Obama has way more experience than Palin. If realmerv would have done their research they would have found that Obama served as a State Senator for 6 years AND then moved on to become a U.S. Senator. Not only was he in the State Senate for six years, but he also taught as a professor, and he is a civil rights lawyer. He also has been running a campaign for over 18 months and dealing with harsh criticism just like your precious Palin. Realmerv makes the comment that Governor’s, not Senator’s are the one’s who have the real experience….newsflash…McCain is a SENATOR. It’s pretty sad when the VP, with a lot less experience is more interesting that the Prez candidate that they are running with. As a women, I am offended that McCain thinks you can trade one vagina for another and no one will notice. There might be some femocrats out there that would vote for McCain/Palin, but Clinton supporters support Clinton, not her vagina. I find it interesting that Palin chose to use the words ” Bristol made the DECISION to keep the baby”, uh…not really folks. When it comes to Palin’s platform there is no decision…you have the baby regardless. Maybe Palin will think about those words that she chose to use and realize that the right to a decision is important. For anyone out there saying that her daughters pregnancy is a private, family affair, you really need to think about that. Palin beleives that abstinence only is the way to go in our public schools. She is trying to have us buy in that this works…um yeah…this is why her daughter ended up pregnant. Palin should have talked to her daughter about using some birth control. I do not think Palin is the right woman for the job. It appears that she has a lot of drama in her life and maybe should take care of her family rather than a country. I find Palin to be contradicting…on the one hand she wants to be VP and be progessive, and then on the other she wants us pregnant and barefoot in the kitchen…oh…just like McCain.

Posted by Kim | Report as abusive

I’m an Australian (so really have no say in the U.S. elections). However, for those Americans saying the rest of the world is laughing at McCain because of his VP running mate decision actually have it wrong. I personally feel it was a stroke of genius. Another thing Obama loyalists say is that Palin is “unknown”…. but Obama was unknown as well until just a few months ago.

Posted by Matt | Report as abusive

All we saw last night was that she could read a script and perform on demand. Where was the substance? What will she actually do for America? What changes will she actually make and what does she actually bring to the table? No one knows this yet.

Hillary has earned respect over years of service, she had the experience and the goals that made her a viable choice. Palin hasn’t been out for even a week and we are supposed to just take McCain’s word that she has the experience and the character to be in the White House? He won’t even let her talk to the press by herself. People that are jumping on her bandwagon don’t know her they know the spin that the McCain camp has put out there.

It is exciting that women are playing a part in this election but shouldn’t it be about substance over style?

Posted by nellie | Report as abusive

I can’t imagine what would cause a female HRC supporter to even consider voting McCain/Palin because of Sarah Palin’s addition to the ticket. Palin and Clinton are polar opposites on every issue. Would someone who supported HRC and her policies/values who now supports McCain/Palin explain how that could be?

Posted by Cindy Norris | Report as abusive