Tales from the Trail

Inside the Tent: What the Log Cabin Republicans think of Palin

September 2, 2008

Jimmy LaSalvia, director of programs and policy for the Log Cabin Republicans, talks about what Sarah Palin’s presence on the Republican ticket will mean for gay rights and where she stands on issues like same-sex partnership benefits.

Palin’s stance on same-sex partnerships is not entirely clear. The New York Times reported this weekend:

Ms. Palin said she supported Alaska’s decision to amend its Constitution to ban same-sex marriage. But she used her first veto as governor to block a bill that would have prohibited the state from granting health benefits to same-sex partners of public employees. Ms. Palin said she vetoed the bill because it was unconstitutional, but raised the possibility of amending the state Constitution so the ban could pass muster.

Click here for more Reuters 2008 campaign coverage

Comments
8 comments so far | RSS Comments RSS

Get your gods out of my bedroom!
My life is my life.
If you don’t want to your 17 year old pregnant child – fine.
But if my 17 year old daughter wants an abortion – get out of the way. She may burn in hell – but that is her problem – not yours.
If I want to be gay and have a civil marriage with my lover – stay out of my life.
I want to live MY life.
Not the life some “god” tells you I should live.
Sanctimonious religious Taliban appear to control the Republic party.

Posted by paul | Report as abusive

I don´t beleive that we all can hear such issue like that,great discrimination.

Posted by claudinei | Report as abusive

how do you call yourself gay and support this ticket? at least Obama called for no discrimination against us. Republicans hate us!

Posted by why? | Report as abusive

She is entitled to her opinion as a citizen but as a representative of the people she serves remember that she serves all of them and should strive to assure that everyone’s rights are respected even though a given group may be a minority as I would suppose gays are in Alaska. Intolerance has no place in the US.

I’m trying to figure out why gays would vote Democrat all the time, not demand any resuilts in the process. Democrats pander, the gay community caves in and says it’s OK. This election is not about gay rights. Elections have not been about gay rights since the gay Democrats decide not to hold Bill Clinton accountable for DADT and DOMA. As far as I’m concerned the playing field is open. McCain Palin get my vote over the Democrat’s empty candidate for president.

You Log Cabin persons seem to be more ignorant of what’s going on than the “straight” republicans. How can you even think of justifying a person that said that she would like to send people with the aids virus to a island be themselves so they could basically die. On top of that, she is a practicing Assembly of God member. This is an extremely Evangelical Christian organizations that has a reputation of continuosly preaching SIN, HELLFIRE AND BROMSTONE TO GAYS!! I know this because I was raised in a church very similar to this. Have you ever been to a gay pride event and had the discomfort of being yelled at by evangelicals telling you that you’re going to hell because you chose to live a gay lifestyle. That’s what you’d be getting with Sarah Palin as well as John McCain!! PLEASE, really think about what you’re doing here. For all of our sakes.

Posted by johnny | Report as abusive

Anyone who is gay or lesbian and votes Republican is either totally out touch with what the Republican party stands for, or has internalized homophobia, or both, especially with Sarah Palin on the ticket! Does the fact that there were not more than a dozen people of color at that convention not mean anything to you? This is a party of virulent discrimination. Wake up and get out of your log cabin and into the real world!

Posted by Mark B | Report as abusive

I’m an openly gay man and think Palin rocks! Yes, I’m gay, and a gun-owner, and a businessman who has seen the destructive nature of Democrat’s taxes and regulatory burdens. The ‘gay rights’ issues is a red herring during a Presidential campaign, becasue we’re going to win our rights on the STATE level, where marriage and adoption are legislated. As for the federal level, A DEMOCRATIC President SIGNED “Dont Ask Dont Tell” and the “Defense of Marriage Act,” so dont tell me that I have more to gain from Dems than Reps.

Posted by Thom | Report as abusive