Tales from the Trail

Joe Biden says Sarah Palin deserves respect

September 4, 2008

SARASOTA, Fla. – Democratic vice presidential nominee Joe Biden said on Wednesday Republican rival Sarah Palin deserves respect.

Biden said he assumes that the first-term Alaska governor is qualified to be second in command of the United States, but has not yet made a decision.
 palin3.jpg
“She is governor of a state. She warrants respect,” Biden told a town-hall style meeting in Sarasota, Florida, shortly before Palin was to address the Republican National Convention in St. Paul, Minnesota.

“The only thing that I have to find out and you have to find out is what are her views,” said Biden, a member of the Senate for 35 years who faces Palin in a debate next month.

“I have made no judgment about whether or not she is qualified … (but) I’m assuming as governor of a state, even though she’s only be there a couple (of years) that she’s qualified.”

He said that will be determined by her views and what she would do as vice president.

Looking ahead to their debate, Biden said, “I will walk in with respecting her significant accomplishments and we will make our differences known and that is what we will debate. at least that is what my expectation is.”

Click here for more Reuters 2008 campaign coverage.

Photo credit: Reuters/John Gress

Comments
27 comments so far | RSS Comments RSS

Governor Palin is the most qualified Republican to run as McCain’s running mate. Mind you that’s not saying much but she is the most qualified Republican (male or female) or senator McCain wouldn’t have selected her would he?

Posted by steve | Report as abusive

Palin is clearly the most qualified Republican to be Vice President. Clear beyond any shadow of doubt. She is definitely far more qualified than Kay Bailey Hutchison, Huckabee, or any of the prior Republican candidates. By never traveling overseas until 2006, she showed that foreigners are really useless and irrelevant and no true Republican American needs to know anything about the world. We control all the world and we should not have to listen to those morons in France or Russia or even England. Her NRA membership really clinches this election for me.

Posted by Harold | Report as abusive

If you think the only reason McCain picked Palin as his running mate was because she’s the best qualified you’re fooling yourself. This was a very well thought out ploy to win over the undecided’s and cater to the extreme feminists who will vote anything with the proper anatomy.

Posted by Kimberley | Report as abusive

I agree, I believe one does not have to necessarily be in the Washington elite to be qualified as a good leader. All it takes are the skills, knowledge and good instinct, combined with a good public persona and an ability to handle complex situations. Since none of the candidates have ever been presidents or vice presidents of the United States, none really have this “experience” they regard as so crucial in making a good candidate.

Posted by joska | Report as abusive

Are the American people qualified to vote ?

She is ambitious and dangerous to my way of seeing it … she wants the Bible taught in public schools which is unconstitutional for over 200 years … she’s opposed to safe legal abortion even in the cases of rape or incest … she’s in kahoots with the Oil Companies like Bush is, so she IS an insider already. No self respecting Hillary supporter will have anything to do with her. And since she lied about her daughter’s ‘mono’ and took her out of school for what we know now is a pregnancy, she’s clearly about her own image most of all.

Posted by Walter | Report as abusive

After seeing the speech tonight by Palin – and I couldn’t make it through all of it, I have made up my mind on who to vote for. I’m an independent and I just can’t vote for a Palin ticket. There was no substance in her speech tonight at all…only bitterness and tearing down her opponent. I’m used to this from politicians, but this was over the top. It just gets old…It would have been nice to hear something of what she would do to improve the economy, end a useless war where we have wasted so many good American lives and billions of dollars, and bring jobs back to my country. The Republicans have had their chance and failed… Obama/Biden it is.

Posted by Jim | Report as abusive

Palin delivered the speech the Republicans were waiting for. She is a good speaker. The speech was so full of petty cheapshots it could have been written by Rush Limbaugh himself. The crowd loved it, such is the nature of today’s Republicans. Mean-spirited and petty.

Posted by getplaning | Report as abusive

Harold – you can’t be serious. America has a place on the globe, it’s a good idea to make yourself aware of where we are in the BIG scheme of things. Right now America has a BAD reputation of bullying and its not pretty or effective. By not ever travelling overseas Madam Palin shows that she is truly ignorant and unaware – hopefully she will resign shortly and save us all from some ghastly fate that she might dream up while out moose-hunting. (That clinched it for me, I don’t want some gun toting PTA hockey mom with her finger on the button – NOT KNOWING WHAT SHE IS DOING.) She will probably have to make many phone calls for help in between feeding the baby, coping with the pregnant moody teenager, issuing orders to the National Guard, Police and whatever else she is suposed to be in charge of – its altogether frightening.
Harold – start reading and pay attention.

Posted by Rosie | Report as abusive

McCain campaign manager Rick Davis told a group of Post reporters and editors yesterday that his team was having to rework the vice presidential acceptance speech because the original draft, prepared before Gov. Sarah Palin was chosen, was too “masculine.” While we all wondered to ourselves what might make a speech masculine or feminine, no one batted an eye at the underlying revelation:
That the campaign was writing the nominee’s speech before knowing who the nominee would be.
Well…well…well…

Posted by getplaning | Report as abusive

Just watched the Palin speech. She’s good. Folksy. I’m from a small town. She would play well here. Problem is she reminds me of Bush. Simple, down home, a ploy already used to win the hearts and minds of people who don’t really want to know about “checks and balances”, separation of church and state. You know, stuff our founding fathers felt were kind of important.

I listened for about ten minutes then turned it off. Then I forced myself to listen again but just could not listen to the whole thing. There was no substance just silly insults directed at Obama. I felt like I was in high school

Posted by brandon | Report as abusive

It’s Over!! She dispelled any doubt that she is the perfect running mate for McCain! The Republicans will win in November!

Posted by SurfGranny | Report as abusive

The speakers tonight all talked as if their party is not the current rulers.. Bullying, knocking, swiping at opponents. Riots of words of divisiveness. Rudy saying giving up on Iraq by opponents is giving up on Americans.

Now my question is how long more do these arrogants need before the are actually kicked out in order for them to be able to re-tool and do proper rebranding? They are me me me without serious ideology for the country I think.

I’m very disappointed! I am an undecided independent voter, will be voting for the first time. I was hoping that Palin will address plans to end the Iraq war. Nothing! One fact I do know is Obama voted against the war.

It is amazing to see how the Republican base is blind to substance and is all about an agenda.

This speech should make up the minds of a number of independents – to NOT vote for Palin/McCain and stick to the critial economic challenges that only an Obama/Biden ticket can address.

Posted by cowabanga | Report as abusive

Palin convinced me alright – not to vote for her. She was too mean spirited and couldn’t even talk about the issues important to Americans – immigration, health care,
education, etc. She won’t even talk to the press – why, because the McCain speech writers can’t write out her answers. Lastly, how is she going rebut the National Enquirer who has her having an affair with her husband’s business partner? Remember – they did break the John Edward’s affair.

Posted by Amberlin | Report as abusive

A rabid “pitbull with lipstic” just about sums it up for me. Sounded more like a fear and hate preacher than the caring hockey mom she makes out to be. She is totally fake and a danger to the US. Senator McCain has lost my vote…

Posted by Rose Scott | Report as abusive

It’s a shame that people have been reduced so much to consider candidates such as mccain and obama. The republicrats have really ruined the integrity of the American people.

Posted by jason | Report as abusive

We still don’t know Sarah Palin and her views yet. We will have to wait until the debates to find out what she knows and what she is about…

Posted by Elugens | Report as abusive

Palin did a great job. I look forward to the debates with the much more seasoned Biden. She relates to real people better than any of the candidates, but can she be the type of advisor that Biden would be?

I do feel that the tone of the Republicans so far has been a bit petty. I will also say that I don’t like the drilling conversations with only slight mention to other alternative sources of energy. I guess a lot of voters don’t know what’s going on in solar, wind and biofuels. Obama smartly gets that much better.

Regardless, it has become apparent that she is a good choice for voters.

How about Guilliani? Love him or hate him… in true form.

Posted by Cadorna | Report as abusive

I agree, washingthon elict a best brave leader and she also the knowledge of policys of the people can be follow the politics policys. so she is the right person to do the election commission rules and regulations. Age is not broblem so she do their own greate rules.

Posted by SHIVA | Report as abusive

McCain and Palin definitely insulted the intelligence of the american women tonite. Instead of talking about REAL PROBLEMS, she only addressed personal opinions about OBAMA.

We want to hear SOLUTIONS, not high school little dramas from an ex beauty queen and her senile mentor….

American voters do a favor to this country and to the rest of the world: Please vote for Obama/Biden!

Since the Republicans under Bush killed it, it is only right that they should now get someone who can field dress the carcass which used to go by the name of the United States of America.

Posted by Jose R. Pardinas | Report as abusive

I was on the fence, til last night spectacle delivered by the Republican Party…. It was filled with the old game of divide the Nation, with no substance and only bashing. Gov. Palin recited the same old line of the Bush Administration. With nothing to produce, the Republican only tactic is to belittle and condemn anyone who provides needed services to their respective communities… In the coming weeks we will see that they (the Reps0 our out of touch with the working class of America, to only run on the glorification of isolationism and social Marxism.

Posted by Mark | Report as abusive

I was surprised by last nights speech. I thought the Republicans had a trick up their sleeve with Sarah Palin. It was just more of the same. No substance at all. All she did was praise herself, Mccain and bash Obama. While the hardcore Republicans may have enjoyed this I doubt she actually swayed any independents. The average working mother does not relate to a pro-life beauty queen that shoots at wildlife from helicopters. Her speech lacked any emotion. Absolutely boring.

Posted by natheya | Report as abusive

Some sobering thought for both sides in the Sarah Palin frenzy.

I never heard of her before Friday’s announcement. I immediately googled her and found some fascinating material. Keep in mind this was before all the new pages appeared so all the articles were on what see had actually done. OMG!

Everyone seems assured Biden will destroy her in the VP debate.
Newsflash, 2 years ago she debated the sitting GOP Governor, who also happened to have spent over 20 years in the US Senate, and killed him and won the election in a landslide.

Every seems assured she wont hold up without a teleprompter.
Watch this video interview with Newsweek on female governors last march.
http://www.newsweek.com/id/156190?tid=re latedcl

There seems to have been a 2 year old grassroots effort to get her to VP, first for Rudy, and only later for Jonnie. Look for the older stuff on this site; front page is RA RA for her now.
Was she behind this? Is this part of HER overall plan?

Newsflash for the GOP bigwigs that think they can use her to stay in power and forget about her, that’s what all the Alaskan GOP bigwigs thought to, they don’t have jobs now. She is so hated by the old time GOP powers that her name is not mentioned on the GOP’s state website.
“In the roughly three years since she quit as the state’s chief regulator of the oil industry, Palin has crushed the Republican hierarchy (virtually all male) and nearly every other foe or critic. Political analysts in Alaska refer to the “body count” of Palin’s rivals. “The landscape is littered with the bodies of those who crossed Sarah,” says pollster Dave Dittman, who worked for her gubernatorial campaign. It includes Ruedrich, Renkes, Murkowski, gubernatorial contenders John Binkley and Andrew Halcro, the three big oil companies in Alaska, and a section of the Daily News called “Voice of the Times,” which was highly critical of Palin and is now defunct.“
From http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Pu blic/Articles/000/000/013/851orcjq.asp

Funniest video take on Sarah, done by 2 guys who think there slamming her, just like Archie Bunker was supposed to be making fun of people like him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W5IAPK0h bU&feature=related