Obama ad challenges McCain’s honor

September 15, 2008

WASHINGTON – Barack Obama is using a scathing new attack ad to challenge the fundamental perception that John McCain – former Navy aviator and prisoner of war — is honorable.
rtr21ul1.jpg
It was bound to happen. The McCain camp has been doing the same thing to Obama for weeks, trying to turn public perceptions about his strengths into weaknesses using attack ads and ridicule.

McCain went after Obama’s popularity and his strength as an orator. His campaign even tried to defuse the race issue by accusing Obama — who would be the first black U.S. president if elected — of racism.

So it was inevitable the Obama camp would eventually strike back — and it did after McCain was roundly criticized in the press for an ad that falsely accused the Illinois Democrat of favoring sex education for kindergarten children.

“What’s happened to John McCain? He’s running the sleaziest ads ever. Truly vile,” the narrator of the ad entitled “Honor” says as quotes pulled from newspaper columns scroll over an ever-shrinking photo of the Arizona senator.

“Dishonest smears that he repeats even after its been exposed as a lie. Truth be damned. Disgraceful, dishonorable campaign. After voting with Bush 90 percent of the time proposing the same disastrous economic policies, it seems that deception is all he has left,” it says.

McCain often speaks of duty, honor, country, sacrifice and has cultivated the image of being a man of honor.

The ad takes aim at that perception, asking if McCain is honorable, why is he running this kind of campaign.

Click here for more Reuters 2008 campaign coverage.

Photo credit: Reuters/Neal Hamberg (Obama speaks in New Hampshire Sept. 13)

Excellent! Last go ’round against Rove the Democrats were slow to respond and the mud stuck: if this is the way things are going to go, then I say the Democrats have got to get do into the muck and slug it out with the GOP.

Can’t wait til someone complains and Obama says, “I just call ‘em like I see ‘em”.

Posted by Fred | Report as abusive

It’s about time Obama called out the McCain camp on their outrageious lies.

For more on the truth about McCain, check out http://recklessmccain.wordpress.com.

Finally! Do NOT give these liars a free ride.

Posted by Lily | Report as abusive

it’s one thing to exaggerate, but mccain needs to stop the straight-up lies.

Posted by andrew | Report as abusive

Yep that proves it, Obama is just like the rest.

Posted by Eric B | Report as abusive

Finally, the Obama campaign hits the mark. McCain should be ashamed with the lie and sleeze campaign he is running. He does not deserve the highest office in the land and he has dishonored himself with his conduct.

Posted by Bill P. | Report as abusive

Republicans run on fear and need to foster it to win. The world needs a strong leader that does the right thing for the long term. Renewable energy is the biggest challenge the world faces. McCain will just give us more of the same and the USA will continue to decline. Obama at least has a chance at leading the US in a good direction.

Posted by Mike Sweeney | Report as abusive

Go team!! It’s about time John McCain was called on the carpet for “approving this message”. Shame on you. Liar, liar, pants on fire.

Posted by John B. | Report as abusive

The difference between Obama’s attack ads and McCain’s is that Obama’s ads are usually true.

Posted by Luke | Report as abusive

Unfortunately, the Obama/Biden team must respond to the Rove-McCain lies or the lies will be believed as they were in 2000 and 2004. We tend to think negatively about 75% of the time so negative works. I would like to see the Major Media do more truth reporting and less focus on “silliness” stuff like lipstick. With all our challenges, I’m disappointed in the Media’s obsession with “silly” stuff.

Posted by Sheila | Report as abusive

The Democrats are just as sleazy. I’m surprised that it took this long for them to go after McCain in ways that directly parallel what he’s been doing to them. Obama was lying about McCain’s assertion that we’d be in Iraq for 1000 years and that McCain was clueless about his personal holdings. Cheap shots are universal, and I think it’s only going to get worse. As Obama’s poll numbers begin to drop even more, he’ll get more and more nasty.

Posted by J Pincus | Report as abusive

It’s unfortunate that the dems have to lower themselves but what are they supposed to do? Run another Kerry campaign. It’s about time they crawled through the muck to fight this snake (GOP). Unfortunately the stupidity of the public at large, and the inability and unwillingness of most Americans to research and sort facts out for themselves, make this necessary! Hockey mom? POW? How about telling me what you will do Mr McCain and not what you think Obama can’t do? How about that old man?

Obama is not an honorable man, period. Wright, Rezko, Ayers, and more.
Obama, PLEASE look up the definition of honorable before you throw it around.

Posted by DEM now IND | Report as abusive

I was going to vote for McCain up until a few weeks ago…but Palin, frankly, scares me (trying to ban books, her lack of foreign policy experience, etc), and McCain really hasn’t shown a whole lot of sound judgment in either picking a VP or choosing his ads. He seems to be doing whatever it takes to win. I won’t vote for that.

Posted by Nick | Report as abusive

Obama just lost the moral high ground. He can no longer speak of change, especially when he resorts to the very tactics he previously criticized. He should have stayed true to his ideals rather than selling out for a cheap political point.

Posted by Mark | Report as abusive

Hey, I like Barack Obama because he has thus far refused to get on with the personal attacks and just run his race with integrity. I think that while this ad certainly calls into question the integrity of John McCain I don’t think of it as a “smear ad” at all. I hope that this campaign can be won with decency and honor. I hope that I am not giving my fellow citizens too much credit.

Posted by Russell Freeman | Report as abusive

Go Get ‘Em. It is time to take this thing once and for all. We have given the McCain campaign too much leeway in their smear and lying tactics. Rope-a-dope was the term used by Muhammad Ali in luring his opponents in while planning his counter attack at the right moment. The right moment has indeed arrived for the Obama campaign and they would be remiss to allow McCain to hang around until the bell. Take him out now! (smile)

Posted by Darrell Hitchens | Report as abusive

Best, most accurate ad I’ve in months

Posted by Hank | Report as abusive

bout time the curtain was pulled to reveal the sleazy little guy and his sidekick for what they really are. Just a remake of the Bush Gang with a few different characters.

I actually agree…the McCain I thought I knew is no longer the McCain I would have voted for.

Posted by act | Report as abusive

“Your honor is disgraceful!”

“You would challenge MY honor?! Why, YOUR honor is disgraceful!”

“What?! I challenge you to a DUEL to settle this matter of honor!”

“A DUEL?! On my honor, I ACCEPT!”

“LET’S DUEL THEN!”

“A DUEL IT WILL BE!!”

Posted by Cetil | Report as abusive

It’s about friggin time! Exposing the liar for what he is. What took so long?

Posted by Roof | Report as abusive

International Herald Tribune
Text: Palin’s speech

Thursday, September 4, 2008

The following is a text (updated for honesty) of the Republican National Committee of Gov. Sarah Palin’s speech as prepared for delivery at the Republican National Convention:

Mr. Chairman, delegates, and fellow citizens: I am honored to be considered for the nomination for Vice President of the United States…

It’s too late now, vetters!… and so I accept the call to help our nominee for president to serve and defend America.

The Democrats threw down the gauntlet, and now I’m ready to fight the overconfident opponents in this dangerous (9-ll) time for our country.

John McCain is the only war hero in this election–so you CAN’T criticize pretty much everything bad you might dig up
on him–and by extension myself. John McCain is the war and if you oppose John McCain, you spit on all the soldiers fighting for your freedom.

It was just a year ago that the pollsters who measure public opinion wrote off John McCain, but the people knew better.

And maybe that’s because the people realize there is a time for politics and a time for leadership … ignoring the first six years of Republican control of Congress under Bush, there is a time to campaign and a time to put our country first. And now that we’re campaigning, we’ll put country first!

John McCain supported the surge, and now, with the negotiation with Moktada al-Sadar and the paying off the Sunni guerrillas, victory shines like a light at the end of a tunnel.

Our family prays, just like you–I mean you all here in this room–not the godless other half of America.

Here’s my family. Just to set the record straight, Trig has special needs–and he’s mine, not Paige’s!

To the families of special-needs children all across this country…

I pledge to you that if a friend and advocate is someone who would cut
the state’s special needs budget by 62%, you will have a friend and advocate in the White House.

Todd is a story all by himself. The liberal National Enquirer was absolutely right about John Edwards, but they are lying about my affair with Todd’s business partner.

But he belongs to a union, and I know how much you all here support unions!

And even though he takes cares for the children, he’s still a man–a world champion snow machine racer, in fact.

And to all the Eskimo’s listening tonight, here’s another reason to vote for McCain/Palin–that’s right, I’m married to a Yup’ik Eskimo!

I love my mom and dad, and among the many things I owe them is one simple lesson: that this is America.
Oh, and, also that every woman can walk through every door of opportunity, especially the opportunity to choose life, even in the case of rape and incest.

Let me tell you my own creation story. I was grown in a small town, just like Harry Truman–and that means that I’m honest, sincere, and have more dignity than those godless Democrats who are all from big cities. Not the Harry Truman who supported unions and national health insurance, just the one who grew up in a small town. We do all the hard work in America. We are all the farmers, factory workers, and soldiers.

And we love our country no matter what corruption goes on in Washington for the past 1.7 years under the Democratic Rule.

To all you former Hillary Supporters–I can wear a pant suit just like Hillary. I was just a hockey mom, and then just a PTA member, until I became just a city council member. And then I became the mayor of Wasilla without the
need for sophisticated focus groups and voter profiles–because I knew every one of the 616 people who voted for me.

Before the media elites make fun of me for that, let me explain to them what the job involves.

I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a “community organizer,” except that you have actual responsibilities– like voting in the case of a tie. I was also responsible for banning inappropriate books, firing people who opposed
me, and issuing gag orders.

I might add that in my small town, when people don’t have the appropriate views on religion and guns–they’re fired!

I’m not a member of the permanent political establishment. The GOP establishment helped me get started in Wasilla, but I became my own person by the next election.

And I’ve learned quickly, these past few days, that being in the national spotlight is more intense than 6 straight
months of Wasilla sunshine!

But as a former weather reporter and basketball star, here’s a news flash to the Washington elites up in the booths:

Like, I don’t need you guys! Like, get over yourselves. OK. I don’t need to mingle with your clique, I have my own. OK.

Politics isn’t just a game of clashing parties and competing interests–although that is my favorite part.

The right reason to play politics is to challenge the status quo.

So if the status quo is abortion rights, I will challenge that, and if there are too many polar
bears and not enough oil drilling, I will challenge that too!

I have integrity, good will, clear convictions, and … a servant’s heart.

I pledge to all Americans that I will serve in the same spirit that brought me to the governor’s office, when I took on the special interests and the lobbyists, and the good-ol’ boys network.

Now the Democrats are going to point out that I hired Abramoff’s lobbyist to win $27 million for Wasilla, and that as governor I sought out $750 million in special ear marks for Alaska.
But that happened before the pledge I just made, so it doesn’t count.

I asked Congress for a $400 million bridge from Ketchikan to an island with 50 residents–and I said,”Thanks!”
But when the Left-wing media labeled it “the Bridge to Nowhere,” I said, “No Thanks!” And then I accepted the money anyway without a specified earmark.

But with the support of the citizens of Alaska, we shook things up–and we shook things down. In fact, we shook down Congress like a pitbull in a small town back alley!

While I was at it, I got rid of a few things in the governor’s office that I didn’t believe our citizens should have to pay for.

That $2.7 million luxury jet was over the top. I put it on eBay. Now there was only one bidder and that fell through, but I was still able to get $2.1 million for it! And this is how I will balance the Federal Budget!

So now I am like the rest of you small town folks–I gave up flying to work, and my family no longer has a personal chef for all our meals.

Our state budget is under control.

We have a surplus. Not to take all the credit, but we have a surplus because of the taxes on oil revenue and rising gas prices–all of which I accomplished as a state executive!

The stakes for our nation could not be higher.

We consume more energy per capita than any other nation, so the solution is not to conserve, but to focus solely on supply.

In case you didn’t know this, We are too dependent on foreign sources of oil.

And now let me share with my command of foreign policy.

Russia is next door to Alaska, and it wants to control a vital pipeline in the Caucasus, and to divide and intimidate our European allies by using energy as a weapon. Now normally, we shouldn’t care about the price of oil in Paris, but in this case it affects the price of energy in America as well.

Since we can’t rely on our oil-supplying enemies or even friends, we need to be self-reliant.

Starting in January, in a McCain-Palin administration, we’re going to lay more pipelines … build more nuclear plants … create jobs with clean coal … and to appease the environmentalists, let’s just say, we’ll “move forward” on solar, wind, geothermal, and other alternative sources.

I’ve noticed a pattern with our opponent.

Maybe you have, too.

We’ve all heard his dramatic speeches before devoted followers.

And there is much to like and admire about our opponent.

But listening to him speak, it’s easy to forget that this is a man who has authored two memoirs but not a single major law or reform – not even in the state senate.

Obama did not sponsor the Lugar-Obama Bill to Keep Weapons Out of Terrorists’ Hands passed on December 11, 2006!
Nor did he sponsor the Lobbying-Ethics Bill signed by George Bush on September 15, 2007! These bills do not exist, and so we can’t legally intercept terrorists’ weapons, and you all can go to those lobby-sponsored parties during this convention.

Now Obama is so arrogant that he won’t concede to our changing definition of “victory” in Iraq. When Obama’s cloud of rhetoric has passed, hopefully my own will take its place. Let me scare all the evangelicals out there by reminding you that Obama is the false messiah who will raise taxes by 5%–compared to only 3% under our plan.

He will actually dare to give orders from Washington, which we will never do! Instead, I will continue to give orders from Juneau.

Did I mention 9-11?

Government is too big …

Congress spends too much … and this has nothing to do with the six years of Republican-controlled House and Senate and a Republican Administration, and is entirely the fault of big-spending Democrats.

Taxes are too high … he wants to raise them more than we do. Both of our tax increases are the fine print in our economic plans, and let me be specific.

The Democratic nominee for president supports plans to raise the sort of income taxes that most of Americans (earning over $250,000) will pay by hundreds of billions of dollars. Even if most lower and middle class Americans receive a tax savings, how are the rest of us going to be better off if our opponent adds a massive tax burden to the American economy?

Here’s how I look at the choice Americans face in this election.

In politics, there are some candidates who use change to promote their careers–kind of like what I’m doing right now.

And then there are those, like John McCain, who “borrow” the theme “change” to promote their conventions.

Among politicians, there is the idealism of high-flown speechmaking, in which crowds are stirringly summoned to support great things. And there is the rough and tumble of pit-bull VP speeches, which elevate the art of mud-slinging.

Senator McCain’s record of actual achievement and reform helps explain why so many special interests, lobbyists, and comfortable committee chairmen in Congress have fought the prospect of a McCain presidency.
That’s why McCain has only accepted $400,000 from lobbyists, in the telephone utility and telecom service industries, among others.

Our nominee doesn’t run with the Washington herd. He shuffles, and slow dances with them.

My fellow citizens, the American presidency is not supposed to be a journey of “personal discovery.” It’s supposed to be a journey from Wasilla, I mean from the Panama Canal, to Washington.

John McCain was a POW. He suffered horribly while fighting for you. He almost died for you–so don’t be ungrateful!

Remember Compassion Conservativism? Well, John McCain will show compassion–as he did for his wife when he divorced her after a disfiguring car accident, but he showed compassion by agreeing to pay all her medical bills.

Also, in case I didn’t mention it previously, remember that John McCain was a POW.

For tonight, a gifted reader can appeal to the base with borrowed words, if not deeds.

I’m not sure what our own themes are, but if the Democrats are running on character and hope and change, join our cause.

Because I’m a woman and we’re so much better than them–but remember, “Country First!”

Thank you all, and may God bless most of America.

Posted by ben | Report as abusive

I once looked up to John McCain being a veteran myself I always thought that he would be the stand up type of individual that would not have to stoop so low or allow anyone within his camp to play the low blow card. I suppose merits alone and the honor of serving ones country is not enough that John McCain has let his hounds go buck wild on the media and being the man that he is, is likely compelled to defend those same out of sorts and out of line ads that he himself have endorsed. Truly disappointing.

Senator McCain with what you have done for this country and what you have endured for her, you should be above this but instead you have elected to side with those same slack jaws that got that idiot of a cow boy in office…and I do remember you saying “having him in office is dangerous” and you were right…whatever happened to that John McCain?…I guess you’re just another sale out when someone dangles a nice big white house with a nice green front yard and says “all you have to do get here is this…”

Posted by Disappointed | Report as abusive

The Republicans always smear their aponants. I really want to hear both parties explain to me how they are going to fix the economy, change our environmental policies and what are we going to do about Iraq. Who is going to make America better? I like what Obama is saying but I want to hear more about the core issues and less about attacking one another. Can we please get with the issues!

Posted by Shannon | Report as abusive

I used to like McCain a great deal, but think he has completely jumped the shark with Palin and this nasty campaign. Obama may have his weaknesses, but he’s clearly the better man.

Posted by T.K. | Report as abusive

The “Perfect Storm”. Pelosi, Reid, and Obama. Watch the prime lending rate will go beyond 24%. Reminds me of the peanut farmer from Georgia, Jimmy Carter…….

Posted by Don Ross | Report as abusive

Do people really want to elect someone who lies and knocks around with bush pigs wearing lipstick. It takes a lot of undoing the lies but it good to see Obama is fighting back in a noble & honest way.

Posted by Johnny B Good | Report as abusive

Many Americans seem to need a folk hero. They need to see John Wayne in a shootout, they need a “Governator” fighting evil, someone they believe can throw the knock-out punch for the USA.

A war hero, a tortured POW, he couldn’t say anything that’s not true, could he?

You bet he could, and he has again and again after he promised to run an honest campaign. I gave McCain $1500 in 2000 to run the “Straight Talk Express” and now he’s running that bus in the gutter? Shame on you, shame heaped on your father and your grandfather with your lies. I wasted my hard earned money on you. No more!

And then you pick a gun-toting woman for Vice President? Well, Annie get your gun!

Yes, it is “American” to be a cowboy as too many Americans appear to be uncomfortable with an educated and intelligent president. For some reason they want someone more like themselves (in their minds).

Sorry, not me. I want someone SMARTER than I am in the oval office. I want someone who understands the complexities of the world and has the smarts to have advisors who are not chosen according to their political and social beliefs, but rather their experience and grasp of the situations.

McCain, you are giving us more of the same dispicable tactics you said you hated when Rove and Bush used them against you. So now you use them against Obama?

Shame on you sir, shame on you!

Posted by Bob | Report as abusive

This is an excellent ad that takes the offensive against the slurs and lies that McCain has indulged in. Go, Barak!

Posted by Orellio | Report as abusive

Does Obama not realize that this ad plays right into McCain’s favor? Only an idiot can’t see that they are both throwing muck and bending the truth, but by quoting the main stream media, instead of real facts, he just perpetuates the belief that MSM is part of his political apparatus.

Smear is a debate that John McCain would love to have all the way to his victory night. If the electorate are forced to choose between two slimy politicians who spent the last three months hacking at each other they are going to choose the one with a career that suggests that this is just temporary insanity over the one who has no career, or at least not one that can’t be used to show that he has always been a smear peddler.

Posted by Bob Johnson | Report as abusive

You know, I think the release of this ad may have been flawless in terms of timing – right as the Palin push seems to be fading like Gustav (or is that just my wishful perception). All-in-all it also appears to be as tastefully done as possible, especially when you consider what Johnny Mac has been releasing. In perfect execution, Obama attains credibility by displaying the comments towards McCain’s character by REAL sources.

Kudos!!!

I can’t wait to see what the GOP will make of this… silly blokes.

Posted by Michael | Report as abusive

Google: Berg vs Obama civil suit and see for yourself! Obama has not legislated much of anything his whole term and while in legislature showed up 130 times and did not have anything to say but present. 130 times!!!! Here is a man who has never come across the isle to get anything done. He has no track record but he is an excellent orator. Just like a sleazy salesman. He can talk a good game but has nothing to prove that he can do what he says. Promises to everyone about everything, changing his stance and not having the strength to admit he is wrong. If he becomes President all the safeguards we have had from terrorists will be gone and we will be hit again and again.

Posted by R. Kinney | Report as abusive

I don’t know if it is correct to say it was bound to happen but it certainly should and did happen. When a supposed honorable man breaks one campaign promise after another and uses deceit and fake issues to further his campaign then his honor should be called in to question. Honor to me means keeping your word. I cannot distinguish McCain’s methods from those used in the Bush campaigns. I think it is fair to say that someone who breaks campaign promises will have little problem breaking promises if they are elected.

Posted by Charles | Report as abusive

Good news. Its about time someone told the truth about McCain. McCain knows the word “honor” but has ZERO conception of what it means.
McCain, a dishonorable disgrace.

Posted by DWayne | Report as abusive

Who started being dishonorable? Wasn’t it the candidate who pulled back from his stance on campaign financing? Wasn’t it the candidate who took on the first distortion in the campaign by saying the other “wanted us mired in war with Iraq for a 100 years?”

Wasn’t it the candidate who would slyly use the “race card” by suggesting that the other camp painted him as “a Muslim” and “not your usual candidate in dollar bills?”

Posted by LEH | Report as abusive

How can anyone support yet another candidate (Palin) who believes they do not have to answer to the public. It is reminiscent of the secrecy of Bush, Cheney, Harriet Myers and other Bush administration officials hiding evidence, hiding or “losing” thousands of e-mails, and refusing to appear before Congress, even when subpoenaed. Haven’t we had enough of this??

Everyone should bombard the news media with complaints about Palin’s refusal to attend press conferences.

Posted by Word Star | Report as abusive

Rock on, Barack! Don’t let these guys Swift Boat you.

Posted by Michael McKown | Report as abusive

Excellent! And I am shocked that I say that….

I generally deplore attack ads, and I am (was) a fan of McCain, but his recent behavior (along with that of his CELEBRITY vice presidential nominee) has really soured me. And, unfortunately, the only way to counter attack ads is via attack ads. True enough, if a lie is repeated often enough, the American people will generally take it to be the truth (as in the days following 9/11, when the media let down it’s fact-checking responsibilities, leading to the ultimate invasion of a foreign country not tied to the suicide bombing or the terrorists).

I follow Carl McColman in praying for both candidates, and for our country, but my weak side is supporting Obama now.

Posted by Michael | Report as abusive

I am happy that Senator Obama is not afraid to take on the establishment. McCain acts like anything he does is golden just because he was a POW. The fact is, McCain crashed 3 planes BEFORE he was shot down. Perhaps if he’d been a more competent pilot he would’ve never endured the horrors of the POW camp.

I do admire McCain’s service, but it does NOT qualify him to become the leader of the free world.

Obama brings excellent vision and readiness to change the status quo of Washington in a positive way.

Posted by Cody C | Report as abusive

I’m glad that Obama is finally fighting back. I have been sick & tired of McCain lying and not being responded
to. McCain seems to subscribe to the theory, that if you tell lies enough, people will believe that they are true. McCain seems willing to say or do anything to get
elected.

Let the scumbags fight it out in the mud.

Vote Nader

Posted by dl | Report as abusive

What a fool this Obama is. John McCain has earned the respect and affection of the country he served and bled for. What has Obama done except work as a hack for the Chicago political machine? His accusations are pathetic.

Posted by CEB | Report as abusive

To the Republican ladies who are asking people to boycott Ophra for not interviewing Palin; Ladies, please don’t take it personally. It’s only business. The sponsers just can’t afford to broadcast that much dead air.

Posted by Jose Guardiola | Report as abusive

This ad shows how just how far Obama has strayed from his orignal message and how panicked his campaign has become. McCain’s honor is the one thing about John McCain that is unassailable.

Posted by Stephen Gianelli | Report as abusive

It’s time for the Obama campaign to respond and turn assertive. Obama is a strong campaigner who knows politics aren’t “bean bag.”

My hope is that Obama’s more ideallistic supporters will understand political and public realities. (Haven’t the campaigns of Gore and Kerry proved that the high road is no match for slander?)

Posted by Laura | Report as abusive

It’s about time!

it’s too late obama, mccain will win to bad for you, you have one option if you want to win, to love our counry!!!!!

Posted by joel | Report as abusive

Why has it taken so long for everyone to figure out what kind of persons McCain and Palin are…just plain common sense is all that’s necessary to figure that out.

Of course they’re riding on the fact that most Americans no longer use common sense. They believe anything they’re told and can no longer think for themselves. Sad state of affairs.

Posted by Fliptrx | Report as abusive

The title to this article is deceiving. If you don’t read the article, it apprears that Obama is challenging McCain’s military “honor.” Clearly not the case. He is questioning McCain campaigning tactics.

Posted by Kristine | Report as abusive

The longer this campaign runs, the more I like Obama. He seems an intelligent man and fully cognizant of what’s happening in the world today. My impression of him goes up and up as time goes by.. I would be so proud to see him as president. and I would fear the future considerably less than if the other party wins.. that possible outcome scares me more than I can express.

All I can say to everyone is open your eyes.. pop the bubble you live in and read, search, for the facts and not the campaign bubble gum.

Posted by Elena | Report as abusive

Twidel dum and twidel dee and sarah palin makes three

Posted by John Jay | Report as abusive

Hmmm, nothing like hypocrisy to make the world better… Way to go Obama, now all of your drones have nothing for which to complain about McCain’s ads. New candidates, please.

Posted by Brown | Report as abusive

It’s about time!!

We need some like these.

“What happened to McCain’s honor?”
“Who’s pulling McCain’s strings?”
“McCain, selling his soul for 30 pieces of silver.”

Posted by Carlos | Report as abusive

It is about time. McCains ads have been lies. The press
needs to do a better job of pointing out his lies. When is the mainstream press going to start doing their job.

Posted by Gary Payne | Report as abusive

Even Karl Rove says McCain’s ads are beyond belief. The master of sleeze finds someone even sleezier.

’nuff said.

Posted by Eman | Report as abusive

About time! McCain can’t win any other way so he has to roll in the mud. He is bush44.

McCain/Palin To keep the economy failin’!

Posted by Jim E | Report as abusive

This is just what Obama needs to do……”Obama’s not a wimp” – Bill O’reilley
Obama is the change we really need…..He will get a universal healthcare for those who need it and drop rates for those who already have it……His agenda is what America needs and he will be a friend to many nations, they have already embraced him…..Our tax code will be reset to before Bush got into office…..The rich and well connected have hurt our economy by not giving back, under an Obama presidency fiscal responsibility will be restored and helping your neighbor will have meaning again……

Posted by Oregon4Obama | Report as abusive

The far left has reached an new low. Accuse McCain of dirty tactics and then keep throwing bombs. Most intelligent people see right thru you and Obama.

Posted by lv brown | Report as abusive

First, the “sex education” ad isn’t a lie. The ad takes the text directly from the bill that Obama passed in committee “comprehensive sex education”. Regardless of what Obama thought, that’s what the bill said.

Second, speaking of distortions of fact, that 90% statistic is bull****. It doesn’t incorporate the many, many ways that McCain has opposed his party and truly been independent over the last several years. Fix the log in your own eye before you complain about the speck in your brothers.

Third, the day I trust an ad that uses a quote from The New Republic, or an Op-ed from the Washington Post, is the day I’ll die.

But all this isn’t the issue. The issue is that Obama is whining because people are no longer paying attention to him. It’s not because of anything McCain is doing, it’s simply because people are tired of his empty rhetoric.

Develop an actual record to run on Senator Obama and then maybe you’ll earn the spotlight.

Dicta

Posted by BT | Report as abusive

This lack of substance ad is just showing Obama as deperate.
Hoe embarrassing for him and the entire Democrat party.I thought he was supposed to represent change and intellect….well it looks like if your not beating them you join them.
Mc Cain can now run an ad that says Obama didn’t change Washington ….Washington changed him.

Posted by dotty | Report as abusive

It’s not an attack ad. It’s a statement about John’s slanderous campaign. When you answer an attack with fact it’s not an attack or a counter-attack or anything like that. It’s simply a statement.
John chose to use Rovian terror tactics. If unanswered Obama would have been swiftboated like Kerry was. A nice guy that would have been good for our country got beat by a lowlife liar. We are paying for that in spades. Republicans should be embarassed that they have used those tactics this year again. They should demand better from their candidates.

Posted by Marcus | Report as abusive

Obama talking about honor is the definition of irony.

McCain has displayed more honor and courage in just ten minutes of time in Hanoi than Obama has displayed in his entire life. Obama hasn’t earned the right to talk about honor with or about McCain.

Posted by scott harrison | Report as abusive

I don’t believe that McCain has ever been an honorable man. He has carefully cultivated his Hero/Maverick image with the help of the media. He is only happy when things are done his way and if not, well then he shows his true colors (ala Cheney/Rove/Bush). He is an opportunist and a very hateful person.

Posted by Shirley S. | Report as abusive

In this world one has to defend against lies, just being polite will insure loss. Obama gave McClain the “benefit of the doubt” and it was beginning to severely impact the democratic campaign. A lot of people are extremely disappointed with McClain and his change of ethics.

Posted by Tom | Report as abusive

Enjoy it for now Obamians. He WILL be exposed for who he really is and who and what he really represents (left wing extremists)and then (if you have the ability to be honest with yourselves) you’ll all be ducking for cover. He has huge issues and major problems right around the corner. I am not so much pro McCain as I am anti Obama. For all his faults McCain still gets my vote. Obama scares me, pure and simple! Connect the dots on all of his relationships, add it all up and you’ll be scared, too!

Posted by David | Report as abusive

I’m sick and tired of these republicans winning presidential election by tricking the American people into electing them in a process of elimination. Eliminating the good opponents with smears and dirt while they have no policy or agenda to run on. Bush did it, now McBush. A true democratic woman/mother who pick up herself on election day and vote for McCain because of Palin need their head exam by a shrink. What’s the worse thing Barak could do as a president? Compare that to the republican agenda and the mcCain ideas, now vote wisely!!!

Posted by Cliff | Report as abusive

Lies are all the republican party has after 8 years of failure!

Posted by vtwin | Report as abusive

One would think and believe after the disasters in the investment world, real estate world, totally failure of mid-east policy, inept energy policies, deep cronyism, lies to get the US into a war for control of Iraq and oil, in-humane treatment of “terrorist” or anyone who does not fit the GOP’s definition of what one should be, throwing gasoline on the fire of socially divisive issues for political gain, farming religion for votes, damaged the image and reputation of the US being a humanitarian nation in the world’s eye and much, much more the US population would understand what the GOP, The Bush administration, Mc Cain & Palin is all about. Mc Cain & Palin would extend the destruction started by the GOP, it’s policies and politics. Fact is, Mc Cain and Palin will be nothing more than the same old abusive Bush Administration under a different empty suite and dress.

Posted by rupunzel | Report as abusive

Yup, it’s great… if you watch it. But the headline on Reuters…”Obama questions McCain’s honor” is bad. If you live in a state where these ads don’t run (TX) but you see this headline….it looks bad. I can’t believe I’m saying this but “the media” may not presenting this accurately.

Posted by janice | Report as abusive

It’s about time, we call out McCain and his GOP on their attach ads. McCain ads are nothing but LIES, and off all people coming from a man that put country and honor first.

Did you know that the people that’s running his campaign are the same people that ran Bush Jr. campaign back in 2000. These are the people that spread rumors that he was having an affairs and had a black child, which turned out to be false.

After the 2000 campaign, he promise/said that he will never run a negative campaign but what is he doing now? Running a negative campaign and now spreading lies afer lies about his opponent.

All of this coming from a man that puts “country first” McCain if putting himself first. The McCain of 2000 I liked and supported, but the McCain of 2008 I don’t like and I do not support

May God have mercy on your soul.

Posted by Cookie | Report as abusive

The Dems have gotten a taste of their own medicine…or the liberal media is getting a taste of their own medicine. Either way, it’s funny how strong the reaction is when the shoe is on the other foot. Obama has begun attacks as if acting out of fear since Palin came on board—he saw his mistake in not taking Hilary and chose Biden instead. The only “change” I have seen from Obama is the color of his skin. He is like every other politician, except he’s got the media on his side. One only has to look at the Google news headlines to see that. It’s not surprising to see an imbalance of responders here—the majority being obviously liberal (synonymous with no backbone and wishy-washy) because this article is obviously geared to them.

Posted by almas | Report as abusive

It’s about time that Obama start fighting back. It always amazes me how many people believe what they hear on TV just because some lamo is saying it. I’m glad Obama is finally fighting back against McLamo.

Posted by Jenny | Report as abusive

“McCain went after Obama’s popularity and his strength as an orator.” – did you miss the fake Roman columns at Messiah’s acceptance speech or how he wrote more books than major legislatures? McCain was just bringing this celebrity nonsense to light.

Posted by Dmitriy | Report as abusive

I am very happy to see this ad, I hope more are to come, at least obamas attack ads are truthful and pointed, let obama stop playing defense to the mcbush ads and keep on message.

Posted by candice | Report as abusive

McCain has indeed sold his soul to get into the White House. It is a sad commentary on our times that a man who was so respected has fallen in with the likes of Rove and what amounts to the most highly developed propaganda machine since Nazi Germany. It is even more sad that the Republican “Ministry of Truth” is effective on so many minds. It seems that a certain percentage of our population will overlook things like the loss of our civil rights, ill conceived wars which drain the country and waste lives, oil/drug company cartels owning our government, loss of the middle class, gutting of our educational system, decay of the environment and turning a blind eye to the REAL dangers to our country. All that we have survived is rendered mute to some by McCain’s ads.
I believe we are just one more Republican president away from losing our country for good. I say, go for the throat Obama. I say, say it like it is. That small percentage of people out there who vote irresponsibly without knowledge of, nor interest in, the actual issues, those who are easily swayed by negative emotions and fear mongering just may listen to Obama now. God help us if they don’t, because I do know what’s coming if we get 4 more years of this and it’s not something to wish on anyone.

Posted by Christopher T | Report as abusive

Amen brother!

I voted for Bush the first time he ran. After watching republicans support him as he led us into international shame and increased the numbers of terrorists around the world and pampered corrupt and greeding elements in our corporate structure, I don’t intend to vote for another republican this century.

Yes, Barack! Take off the gloves and call it like it is! The fact that McCain was a prisoner of war back when does not make him immune from selling out in order to become president. And, he has not displayed himself as an “honorable” American for quite some time now. Both the country and the world deserve better than McCain this time around.

Posted by sanityvoice2 | Report as abusive

About friggin time! McCain/Rove tactics have only one response – call them out on it! Don’t mince words – lies are lies! Don’t let McCain hide behind surrogates either…

Posted by X-GOP | Report as abusive

This is not an attack ad – it’s foolish and will backfire.

The problem is Obama criticize for his legislation, because he himself has none.

And to characterize yourself as a saint doesn’t work – Obama himself took the low road in making houses and computer skills an issue.

McCain has nothing to lose – no one expects him to win in such a environment – Obama has the pressure and when he fails the Democrats have to do some self refection.

Posted by Addy | Report as abusive

It’s scary how many liberals and Democrats believe that liars are exclusive to the GOP. Obama is another Clinton. He looks good on TV saying things that excite his followers at the expense of accuracy.

Posted by ike | Report as abusive

Please make me believe that most people can see this is all a grand illusion and that the voting PROCESS will once again be the instrument used to illustrate the outcome as THEY see fit. (we have little to do with the real election)

Posted by John | Report as abusive

Thanks to the Obama campaign for reminding me that the McCaign campaign is dishonorable. Unfortunately, what I remember most about the McCain campaign is the honorable risk that McCain took in selecting Palin as his running mate. It was a wonderful opportunity he gave Palin(who happens to be a woman).After all, McCain had a 50/50 chance of being rejected by his party for giving this unconventional woman a chance to have a national voice.

I recommend the Obama campaign take the high road and not employ the same tactics they are accusing McCain of.

Posted by barbara newberg | Report as abusive

@Dem now IND

Did you look up the word before posting? Honor has to do with your virtues not others.

Honorable – not deposed to cheating or fraud

It seems to go along with the ad to me, “Dishonest smears that he repeats even after its been exposed as a lie. Truth be damned. …”

Joe Biden got it right: sequels are usually worse than the original… Palin/McCain are not just the same as Bush/Cheney…they are much Worse. Palin at the de facto top of their ticket is far to the right of Bush. So in foreign policy is McCain. Bush appears to know to follow Obama’s advice about two week later (on Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, and now Pakistan). At least Cheney was knowledgeable in his evil doing. McCain literally can not last. The country can not afford four year of deepening darkness. I suggest as a slogan: Palin/McCain – Don’t make it even worse.

Obama should pull out now and give the reins back to Hillary. It’s over for Obama.

Posted by NoBama | Report as abusive

It’s about time! Obama cannot let himself get “Swift-boated” by these sleazy people. McCain’s choice of Palin is the last straw and shows he will do anything to win. It is insulting that Palin claims to represent ME. I’m still smarting from her comment implying that community organizers don’t have any responsibilities. Remember— Jesus was a community organizer. Pontius Pilate was a governor.

Posted by Dee | Report as abusive

Yep that proves it, Eric doesn’t know how to construct a proper argument.

Posted by Eric B's Mom | Report as abusive

How anyone could consider McCain as having integrity or being a “maverick” is beyond me. Come on! Former lobbyists, Carl Rove’s protege, and a whole cadre of old-guard Bush whackers are running the McCain campaign! So the sleaze is to be expected. What astounds me is that Americans are so vulnerable to falling for it, that they cannot see through the “If I call myself a maverick and an agent for change often enough, you will believe it” strategy.

Beyond the obvious “more of the same” outcome that McCain/Palin will bring to the White House — DUH! McCain has voted with Bush 90% of the time! — if elected, they are a truly scary team.

The fact remains that McCain chose Palin WITHOUT VETTING HER, demonstrating just how dangerously impulsive he is, even in matters of critical importance to both himself and the nation. And judging from both Palin’s and McCain’s public comments (all we have to go on) they are recklessly predisposed to initiate yet another conflict — when our military is functioning at the cruel edge of its capability in a two front war in Iraq & Afganistan that keeps our troops in an endless cycle of stop loss.

Voters need to RUN from the possibility that Palin would be a heartbeat away from the Presidency. For God’s sake, she has clearly stated she would be ready to take us into yet another pre-emptive war (haven’t we learned ANYTHING from Iraq?), as well as a war with Russia. And McCain chants “Bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb Iran”!

If we put these two in office, the US gets exactly what we deserve, and it won’t be good.

Posted by Ann Shannon | Report as abusive

Lets face it…it’s no surprise to see the party lines beginning to solidify for both camps. Neither side is going to sway the “true” base, as the reasons run much deeper than the current hot button topics. The economy cycles, much like the weather…remember the early 70′s? We were headed for an ice age…now it’s global warming, but one thing stayed true…the core of both parties remained loyal.

That means that millions of dollars will be spent doing whatever it takes to win over that middle 10% of the voting public…it’s kind of sad, when you think about it. In reality, the minds of most were made up well before the primaries were over and the conventions were set. Some will argue that the “polls” stated different, but did they really? I’m not so sure.

Of course, we will all know by mid November what the results will be, and the pundits will say what they will, but at the end of the day, it is that middle 10% that will rule the day.

So, say what each of you will about the other side, smirk at your witty remarks (and hopefully keep it clean…there are lots of young eyes out there!), but remember, no matter who wins…the sun will rise the next morning and set the next day, as it has and will continue to do so, regardless of what happens.

Posted by Bill in PA | Report as abusive

This Palin does not represent progressive women. I am a Rock and Roll musician who has been singing since l968. Rock and Roll represents freedom and she wants to take alot of freedoms away from the women that we have fought for since the middle 60,s before feminist was a word.Please let it be known that she does not represent American women and the cool men that love them. She is a faschist and I would like to force her to stay at home and tend to her children cause they need a mother but I,m not sure if she,s a good role Model. She has NO CLASS.

oooo…oo…ooo… I can see it now:

John McCain is using the lying as a tactic to draw Obama into a massive trap. McCain will apologize for his campaign’s lies by firing his campaign staff with a month left in the battle. This will enable the Republican’s to take their “(a)moral” high ground and shove it down the throats of apathetic Americans (those that don’t care about looking up info – would just rather try to burn the internet/blogs) that are already registered to vote. Silly GOP blokes! Don’t try it, I am copyrighting this idea!!!

Posted by mkell | Report as abusive

Here’s the deal.

No one who voted for George Bush (especially twice) should be allowed to post any comments on the merits of future candidates. It’s glaringly obvious that your political judgment is severely flawed. You might think of getting professional intervention of some kind. Medication might help.

Posted by paul | Report as abusive

All the people who post that Obama is getting in the gutter with these ads really need to listen to the ads of McCain. To reach the voters who believe these ads you need to throw your own out there. Is this really a smear. Look at the picture of Obama in the Sex ed ad. That’s a smear.

Telling the truth about McCain’s lies, Palin lies, is not sleaze. It’s not muck or dirty tricks. Sleaze and muck are when you tell the lies. Obama is not answering McCain and Palin lies with lies — he’s shaming them with the truth.

Eric B. that makes him different than the rest.

DEM now IND fact check Wright, Rezko, and Ayers (no Rush isn’t factual). The truth should wake you.

Don Ross Predicting the future? Look up logical fallacies, study hard and learn how to think. Your dire predictions remind me of a flustered parent telling a child “if you keep doing that your face will freeze that way.”

CEB the point is that John McCain had earned the respect and affection of the country he served and bled for, but has squandered that respect and honor by telling pathetic lies.

What a tragedy this election has become! We have have two bright and capable men willing to lead this country. They share a vision of a safe and stong America to pass on to our children and grand children. They agree on many issues such as off shore drilling, global warming and the need for energy independence. They also disagree on issues such as withdrawl from Iraq, education vouchers and foreign trade. These are issues on which reasonable men can disagree. Although I personally support Senator McCain, I have great respect for Senator Obama. I wish to send a message to both campaigns that this campaign must get out of the gutter and return to a debate on those issues that will shape this nation’s future.

Posted by Rod V | Report as abusive

McCain was once an honorable man. But the honorable military service of his past does not preclude his ability to change for the worse. Even as a ‘liberal’ I might have supported him eight years ago (and definitely over Bush). Now, however, his campaign continues to repeat fabrications and exaggerations that can be each be debunked with a simple internet search (likewise for Obama’s exaggerations, though far less numerous or biting).

I hate to see the good everyday contituents of the Grand Old Party taken for such a ride. A once-great party of liberators has been undermined by extreme religious and corporate interests. Anyone who would amend the Constitution to relect their personal religious principles is not a defender of freedom or a champion of smaller government intrusion. We escaped the tyranny of King George and nationally-established religion for a shot at keeping our own faith and congregating as people to celebrate our differences and similarities as we see fit.

Where is McCain the Maverick? All we have left is McCain the Lost. We, as voters, need to put aside Limbaugh/Hannity/Olbermann-style vitriol and look at facts. Reporting the difference between the McCain campaign message and the truth is not “liberal media smear” but a simple examination of public record.

I’m not particularly fond of either party, or the two-party system as a whole. The Green Party, Constitution Party, Libertarians, and other independent organizations, have as much right to candidacy as the Democrats and Republicans… especially if these third parties can accurately represent the views of a majority of American citizens.

I also believe the Electoral College system is outmoded and looks more like the ‘illusion of control’ in a broken elections system that increasingly ignores the will of The People. Let us not forget that this Government is supposed to be comprised of ‘public servants’ elected by a majority, not by a technicality. Any heavyweight champion would prefer a true knockout to a TKO or disputed punch count.

McCain would be wise to renounce the lies of his campaign and return to straight-talk. Republican voters would be wise to more closely examine their candidate for who he is in the here-and-now and to remember that, when they call for smaller governement, government intrusion into people’s personal lives should be a part of that decline.

Posted by MCS | Report as abusive

Poor Barak, never had a father figure so he cannot relate or be a man, accept he is a liar and a fraud he really thinks he is a Messiah because Rush Limbaugh calls him one. hahahahahahaha He is so afraid of Sarah Palin and Hillary Clinton.
John McCain is a true American Hero a real Patriot.
Greek Columns what in the world was he thinking of.
Julius Caeser the chosen one.

Posted by Amy GL | Report as abusive

Sarah Palin has accomplished more for American women in less than 20 months than Hillary Clinton failed to do in her whole political career. That’s change with real conviction from Sarah Palin! Obama and the DNC could only come up with tired old Joe Biden. Americans deserve more than the usual business that has come out of Washington for the past 16 years. That’s right, Bill Clinton and George Bush are equally at fault. We don’t need 16 more years of BIG party pork barrel politics. The country needs mavericks like John McCain and Sarah Palin right now!

Posted by Don Ross | Report as abusive

‘As for my running mate, you can be certain that wherever he goes, and whoever is listening, John McCain is the same man.
He may change is mind on tax cuts, immigration, and climate change, but he is physically the same person no matter where he goes.’

hillarious

Posted by mr panic | Report as abusive

Senator McCain’s abandonment of his first trophy wife, after she was maimed and injured in an automobile accident, should be pointed out. Not a lot of honor in running around with other women while married, or meeting his current wife at a bar while he was still married.

Posted by Bob Lueck | Report as abusive

Obamabots – get over it. Obama is nothing but another snake in the grass lawyer as well as his running mate. Let’s not forget the lies that Bill Clinton told during his eight years of trying to be a president (he was a lawyer too.)

Posted by rsimms | Report as abusive

Obama is going to win. McSame and his Paris Hilton are on their way out. McSame showed what he was made of when he came home and treated his first wife who stood by him while he was in a POW camp with a 9 month affair into her marriage to him. Says a lot about a man.
I am a registered Republican and I won’t have anything to do with him.

Posted by Helen | Report as abusive

Careful Obama, attacking a veterans’ honor could easily backfire. If Obama had participated in the town hall meetings suggested by McCain, then Obama would be using the past month constructively to explain the details of his plans for America. Instead, he’s back in the mud of politics.

Posted by Jack | Report as abusive

PS Sarah Palin is not running for president. McCain is. And she thinks she is running for Mrs America….not a very smart person here just very driven by power like McCain.

Posted by Helen | Report as abusive

B.O. calling McCain “sleazy” — yeah right. I’ll believe that when somebody tells me B.O. had nothing to do with Alinsky, Ayres, Rezko and Wright. “Sleazy” doesn’t begin to describe the Chicago politics he practices to this day.

Posted by Scott | Report as abusive

Wow, finally a good ad from the Obama camp. I was really tired of the generic ads that had no bite. Obama ads never directly pointed out the McCain lies. I hope this is part of a permanent change in strategy.

Posted by T-Bone | Report as abusive

JOHN MCCAIN IS A HERO, AND I BELEIVE HE WANTS TO UNITE AMERICA DEMOCRAT, REPUBLICAN, INDEPENDANT. OBAMA JUST WANTS WHAT HIS PARTY WANTS: MORE TAXES FOR A HURTING ECONOMY, GUN CONTROL, ONE-SIDED ENVIROMENTAL ISSUES AND I COULD GO ON AND ON BUT I’M SURE HE WILL DO THAT FOR ME.

IF WE ARE ALL SO CONCERNED ABOUT ALTERNATIVE ENERGY WHY DON’T WE AS THE PEOPLE DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.
SO DON’T COMPLAIN ABOUT ENVIROMENT AND ENERGY UNLESS YOUR DOING YOUR PART!

WHY HASN’T ANYONE MENTIONED ANYTHING ABOUT THE WORLDS WATER CRISIS, OH YAH WE’LL WAIT UNTIL WERE ALMOST OUT TO START WORRYING ABOUT THAT.

Posted by Andy | Report as abusive

Go Obama go! Perfect timing for this ad! With most of the media, all the nonpartisan fact checking organizations, many political analysts, several Republicans and even Karl Rove saying that McCain is running a sleazy campaign, it is THE PERFECT time to question McCain’s honor. The man has no honor any more, he has sold his soul to the devil to win this campaign.

Posted by Amie | Report as abusive

I just wish both sides would stop slamming each other and bloggers included. Why can’t these campaigns just stick to the issues. I think our campaign process should be shortened to 30 days…Save dollars and perhaps stop wasting time slinging mud at each other. The amount of money spent on campaigns is staggering. Think of how all that money could be put to good use to help people in need

Posted by Ejay | Report as abusive

The campaign has quickly went into the toilet and noone can say they have taken a high road. The pig thing was rediculous, and this is really below the belt. I’ve lost quite a lot of respect for Obama, as he is not showing that he is a different.
We are facing many challeges in our country and we need government officials that are looking out for us. McCain has a record of voting against special interest, in fact he voted against special interest 100% of the time last year. Obama voted with special interest 90% of the time last year, Biden voted with special interest 100% of the time. I’m thinking that McCain – Palin is going to be looking out for me. You all need to be looking at voting records and what each candidate stands for…..or you may be surprised to find who Obama is going to be looking out for in January!

Posted by Jane | Report as abusive

George W McCain and his air brained vice president will lead this country to destruction. The GOP machine are a bunch of privledged, pompous liars who care nothing for the average american.
If you cast a vote for them, you can kiss your butt goodbye.

Wow! It’s amazing how many, probably normal, decent people have been drinking the Kool-Aid that Obama is serving

Posted by tw | Report as abusive

Mccain is no hero, he’s an old man living in yesterday. He’s a direct threat to our country’s future. What a sleazey campaign he’s run. But that’s what you get from someone who’s graduated at the bottom of the class, filthy rich, and votes against the poor, decade after decade.
A true american scumbag.

McCain has received his due recognition for his military service. We owe him nothing more. He has consciously decided to make public the fact that he’s not really so honorable after all. So don’t blame Obama or the dems for merely stating the facts as McCain has created them. He has brought it on himself. Old McCain: honorable, straight talker. New McCain: dishonest, dishonorable liar.

Posted by SorryMcCainYouDon'tFoolUsAnymore | Report as abusive

I just watched a half hour inspirational talk by Senator Biden at St. Clair Shores, Michigan, Mr. & Mrs. Middle & Working Class American Reader.

The focus of Mr. Biden’s remarks was on you…and what America would be like for you had many of Senator McCain’s floor votes over the past 20 years been in the majority (instead of the minority) on many of the bills that ultimately benefitted you. The point Mr. Biden was making during his stop in Michigan is that Mr. McCain is not on the side of 95% of Americans, but rather on the side of the 4% of the privileged class and the 1% of the super privileged class…on the side of greed…on the side of power…on the side of John and Cindy McCain, and not on the side of you Mr. & Mrs. Middle & Working Class American Reader.

I find Mr. McCain’s recent ads against Mr. Obama dishonorable and comparable to dirt.

I find Mrs. Palin’s recent remarks against Mr. Obama those of a politician with a poor education who believes in the Second Amendment, but who uses whichever clause of the First Amendment that suits her purposes…and violates whichever clause of the First Amendment that suits her purposes. She is using her looks and Mr. McCain to move into the halls of power & wealth. Mr. McCain is using her looks to keep himself in the halls of power & wealth. Most of all it is the power that both covet. Mr. McCain already has his wealth. Mrs. Palin would like to have some of that too.

I find Mr. and Mrs. McCain out of touch with Mr. & Mrs. Middle & Working Class American…because of their wealth. They are somewhere between the top of the privileged class and the bottom of the super privileged class…somewhere near the top of the most wealthy 5% of Americans.

I find Mr. and Mrs. Palin out of touch with Mr. & Mrs. Middle & Working Class American…because of their naïveté concerning diversity. They live in a mostly segregated society, where tax breaks for oil and natural gas giants are transferred to a few hundred thousand Alaska residents.

Basically, I find Mrs. Palin and Mr. McCain untruthful…and when taken to task on their old lies, simply bluff their way on to another subject (or some new lie).

OK Jack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ccgh4rp3d cc

John McCain, once known for his honesty and integrity, has done an about face and surrendered his values by employing the same tactics and people that he once opposed. Americans are starting to realize that he would rather lose his integrity than lose an election. How far he has fallen.

Some of you people are rich or clueless. What does it take for some to use a little reasoning and common sense.

The economy is the worse it’s been in 8 years (I’m not sure how you can dispute this FACT). All you have to do is look at the state of the country before the Republicans took over Washington in 2000. Close your eyes and think back 8 years ago…now open your eyes and turn on the news. It pretty much speaks for itself. We can not endure another 4 years of Bush and his boys running the country.

Posted by Middle-class American | Report as abusive

Well well well. Although I’m young, I’ve been fully aware of this political race, and boy am I scared of the outcome. John McCain and Sarah Palin are not only the GOOD choice, in my eyes, they are the only choice that our country has. Our economic troubles are only going to get worse if Obama takes the office, besides, has anyone looked at his resume? I don’t know about you, but I’m pretty sure that with my 8th grade education, I’d be able to “organize a community”…I may only be 13, but I’ll e watching with just as much, if not more anticipation as many adults across our country. You may forget, this country will soon be in MY hands. MY generation will be responsible for YOUR mistakes. You may forget, but trust me, as God as my witness and as sure as Republican blood runs through me, I will NOT forget. So vote for Obama, who needs experience to run this country. Vote for him and thanks. Thanks so much for leaving me responsible for the consequences he’s leadership will bring. I won’t forget.

Posted by Alice | Report as abusive

Alice, I am glad to see that you are involved and care about this country so much. It is really great. But, let me suggest that instead of getting cuaght up in the Republican/Democrat emotion that you study as much as you can. If you support McCain that is fine, but at least try and look beyond the rhetoric and examine the positions.

For example, one of the reasons we are in this mortgage crisis is because of Sen. Phil Gramm, a good friend of John McCain and someone that McCain has said he would seek advice on the economy from. Sen Gramm is responsible for the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act that basically loosened regulations that allowed this whole thing to happen. Also, Sen McCain has shown a pattern of dishonesty. I am sure your parents and minister have taught you about telling lies. Also, while Obama is indeed less experienced than Sen. McCain he has spent the past 8 years learning what he knows about becoming President building his relationships and network that every President and Vice President need to be effective Presidents. When Se. McCain selected Sarah Palin, he picked someone who’s relationships and network stopped at Alaska. Her only big ally in Washington DC was Sen. Ted Stevens who more than likely is going to jail soon for corruption. Last but not least Sen. McCain has endorsed President Bush and his economic plans for the past 8 years and it has led us to the state we are in. When you were born and Clinton was President The US budget was close to balanced, when Clinton left office there was a surplus. Now we have a record deficit. This is the money you are talking about that you will be paying for the rest of your life. The war in Iraq will cost you and your friends $1,000,000,000,000 at the very least. Bush borrowed that money from China who we are paying interest. It will be your dollars going to China. Speaking of which it is Bush and the Republicans who has given US companies subsides to ship jobs overseas to China.

Again Alice, it is wonderful to see that you care about the future of this country and your future as a citizen.

Posted by richard | Report as abusive

Thie is the most effective ad yet.It should really resonate with voters. Wouldn’t it be nice to see the same tone taken with Palin? the bridge, earmarks, even the “fired” chef. if she’s willing to stretch the truth this far just for applause, what lies would she tell you, if elected? Policy might be too complex for some voters, but everybody can spot a liar. Would also love to see some straight talk, Obama style, about what McCain’s taxing health insurance would mean to working people. That would scare the crap out of people.

Posted by terry | Report as abusive

No gutter. Just the facts. I respect this.

Posted by terry | Report as abusive

As a first time voter I am amazed at the immense amount of propaganda being slung by the media on both sides, with the economy in the state that it is in and the strained relationships we now have with other countries we have a duty to everyone in the world to show that we are choosing our candidates by their intelligence and innovation and forward thinking. The only thing i want to hear are actual concete ideas for how to make this country better, so far Obama seems to be delivering SOME ideas but McCain’s ecnomic solutions amount to drilling and tax cuts???? Were in a much bigger hole than that people and we need some new ideas. I think the Media needs to start making this election about solutions instead of controversy and americans need to start thinking internationally, there are serious downsides of carrying on with international policy as we have been these past 8 years.

Posted by first time voter | Report as abusive

I’m a 64 yr old Navy vet (3-61 to 3-65) who has sadly watched John McCain drop honor, truth, & ethics on the side of the road in his desperate quest for the White House. As far as “country first” goes, he ditched that one the minute he picked Palin as his V.P.
Nothing left but an empty suit.

Posted by stbdtac | Report as abusive

after 5 despicable smear ads from the mccain campaign, I swear, if obama didn\’t do anything about it, I would have dropped my vote for him. I liked this ad. it wasn\’t a smear ad, but more of a \’enough!\’ ad. that sex ed ad was the last straw. what was mccain trying to insinuate? that one made me sick to my stomache. I\’ve never seen this man lie sooooo much! what happened to him??? where\’s that maverick of 2000? and when the king of sleaze (karl rove) says you\’ve gone a bit too far. oh my goodness, there are no words to how low this man will go. and his little sidekick has no shame in her game either. I have yet to see a speech or interview that she has not thrown out a lie or distortion. helloooo…..it\’s called factcheck. takes only a few minutes. and now his campaign acknowledges it and say they don\’t care. whatever it takes to win. okayyyy….because country first, right? so sad. your own people said today that they felt you sold your soul to the devil for the whitehouse. shameful. you and palin have lost ALL credibility. I dont\’ even know why you did this to yourself. don\’t you have, like, a thousand reasons why obama should not be president? couldn\’t you use those reasons, if they are, in fact, true? so when we\’re smart enough to check your accusations, they would be facts. and then nobody can call you a liar.

oh, and alice, I feel your pain. I said the same thing to my folks and they voted for bush. I still haven\’t forgotten.

Posted by mik | Report as abusive

wow “Alice”, you do realize you are talking about re-electing the same party that has been in power for 8 years. Sadly most of your life. What a crappy world to grow up in. You have my deepest sympathies.

The thing about politics is, ignore all this personal mud-slinging bullshit and focus on the policies. Parties push policies. The Republican party has been pushing their policy for the last 8 years, this will not change with a new head of the party.

Policies intended to make life better for youngsters like yourself should be focused on sustainability, quality of life for middle income families (unless you are rich?), education, and keeping you out of wars. Does that sound like the Republicans?

Posted by Jeff | Report as abusive

I love the fact that the Republicans are pushing the line that John McCain (republican) is going to take down the establishment (republican).

There is a logical fallacy here. If all these Republicans are supposedly voting for McCain based on the fact that he is a maverick and is going to change Washington, does this mean that these Republicans didn’t like the Bush years? If so why did they vote for him twice? Or is it that they want the status quo to continue and in which case they all know the ‘change’ platform is BS to pull in undecideds.

Posted by Jeff | Report as abusive

you’re kidding me if you think obama is just now running attack ads. both obama and mccain have been running bad ads all summer. Reuters, please get with the program!

Posted by matt | Report as abusive

I also love the fact that the media and all you ignorant (okay not all of you) obama disciples think that mccain hasn\’t mentioned where he stands on issues in the usa. please let me do the research for you, while you all claim that republicans don\’t research and vote for the “most likable person.”

http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/Issu es/17671aa4-2fe8-4008-859f-0ef1468e96f4. htm

please keep telling me that all mccain wants to do is drill for oil. it really makes my morning better when someone can make me laugh

Posted by matt | Report as abusive

Richard, Jeff et al

“Alice” doesn’t live here anymore, i.e., “she” isn’t real.

Sorry to break the news to you.

Posted by Ariel | Report as abusive

It stuns me that every election, a bunch of politicians run for political office promising change and reform. We never really get it, so you have to ask yourself, how can so many people get away with the same lie for so long? It’s because all of you ninnies out there keep voting for them, so what incentive would they have to tell the truth?

This November, I’ll be at Walmart voting for more rice to store in the basement, next to the bullets.

Posted by russ in PA | Report as abusive

Whatever McCain used to be he has obviously sold his soul to the devils who are ruining the U. S. economy. Do you obtuse people truly believe that it is a coincidence that, at the desperate edge of this illegal regime, we are paying insane gas prices under the “Oil President?” Despite having stolen the oil from the world’s 2nd oil producing nation for the last 6 years?

It must be a further coincidence that those 2% who hold 50% of the wealth and hide behind corporations, neither paying near their share of taxes, have deregulated the protections placed to protect the general public (read hoi polloi) to the point where they could scam billions, run away with the money and leave the tax paying middle/working class to pay for the aftermath of their scam.

If you have allowed your children and fellow citizens to be dumbed down (and drugged by the all powerful Pharm Corps) to the point where you can no longer reason, and your attention spans are the length of lightening bolts, at least ask 2 questions
(1) Why am I paying more for oil under the oil president?
(2) Where’s Bin Laden?

Even the much maligned Jimmy Carter would have held Bin Laden’s head aloft years ago.

Posted by Richard | Report as abusive

What upsets me the most is how the McCain ads worked. I can’t believe how stupid the people of this country are. The Anti-Intelectual, Anti-Science, Anti-Choice, Pro Ignorance, Pro-Fetus side of this country has won. They have made being of independent thought into being a vile minority. This was the greatest generation greatest attribute. Independent Thought. Now most of americans are weak minded sheep.pathetic.

Posted by Mike B. | Report as abusive

I’m not voting for Obama because he’s black. Period.

Posted by changedman | Report as abusive

has anybody noticed that “obabble” and “Obiden” talk talk 90% of the time about JOHN MCCAIN ..wow all they do is talk about him..I ask DO YOU REALLY THINK THIS MAN HAS “GOOD JUDGEMENT”ON THE WAR,IRAN,RUSSIA,PAKISTAN, AFGANISTAN,OSAMA BIN LADEN, JOBS,GUN TOTEN RELIGIOUS PPL,PORK BARREL SPENDERS,DRILLING, ECONOMY,SCHOOLS,DISASTERS,ETC…HE SOUNDS LIKE HE ROLLS WITH THE FLOW…..THERE IS NO WAY THAT THESE TWO GOSSIPERS AND BACK STABBERS CAN MAKE A GOOD JUDGEMENT.AND “HE LOOKS LIKE A MONKEY SEE MONKEY DO” IF YOUVE DONE IT HES DONE IT BETTER.AND JOHN MCCAIN HAS DONE IT LIKE BUSH??AND HE ASKED IF WE(THE AMERICAN PPL) ARE STUPID??NO WE ARE NOT!!!!HE CAN ONLY, NOT BABBLE, IF HE READS A TELEPROMPTER..LOL..THATS BECAUSE ALL HE CAN DO IS TO GOSSIP AND BACK STAB MCCAIN. TRYING TO DISCREDIT THIS MAN WOULD BE LIKE THROWING THE POPE HEADLONG INTO A CROSS. OBAMA DOESNT HAVE AN OUNCE OF HONOR IN HIS WHOLE BODY….HES A “”SLICK TALKIN COPYCAT” MAKE NO DOUBT HE IS IN IT FOR HIMSELF…..AND THE “ONLY” WAY HE CAN WIN (AND I THINK THERE IS NO SUBSTANCE FOR HIM TO WIN)IS IF HE CAN CONVINCE PPL JOHN MCCAIN IS JUST LIKE BUSH…THE ONLY WAY… IF YOU CANT SEE THAT. THAT SIMPLE IS NOT TRUE. MAYBE OBAMA CAN SEND REV WRIGHT, BILL AYERS, AND HIS HIS SLUMLORD HOUSE REP. TO IRAN,RUSSIA,PAKISTAN AND TALK TO THEM FOR HIM ON THE FRONT LINE. LOL …CHANGE IS RIGHT SLOGAN FOR HIM.. I CHANGE MY MIND IF YOU DO…I CHANGE MY RETORICK IF YOU PICK SARAH PALIN (AND TALK ABOUT HER FOR 2 WEEKS0….IM SORRY, OBAMA A WEAK PERSON. AND HIS PICK OF OBIDEN IS ALL THE PROOF ANYONE SHOULD NEED. HE THOUGHT HE WAS FILLING IN THE GAP FOR HIS VERY STRONG WEAKNESS . WHICH AGAIN PROOVES WEAKNESS IN HIS JUDGEMENT. AND WHAT ABOUT THE TERRORISTS ATTACKS ..AND I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW MANY OF OUR SPECTACULAR MILITARY TROOPS REALLY WANTS OBAMA AS THEIR COMMANDER AND CHIEF..I KNOW I WOULDNT AND IM NOT MILITARY I JUST KNOW THAT HAD IT NOT BEEN FOR OUR MILITARY TROOPS AND ALL THE ONES BEFORE THEM “WE WOULD NOT HAVE FREEDOM OURSELVES!!!!AND IT IS STILL BEING THREATENED TODAY SO IT IS VITAL THAT THE COMMANDER IN CHEIF IS IN THE TANK FOR OUR MILITARY..THEIR AND OUR LIVES DEPEND ON IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MY GOD DOES HE NOT HAVE A BACK UP PLAN BESIDES “4 MORE YEARS “WHEN HE FAILS TO MENTION THAT THE DEMS HAD CONTROL FOR THE PAST 2 YRS…WOW IMAGINE THAT DISTORTING THE TRUTH IS THE SAME THING AS LYING AND DISHONESTY WHICH IS NEVER MENTIONED…. AMAZING..I CANT STAND 4 MIN OF HIS MOUTH!!!ITS PATHETIC…HES ALL TALK AND NO ACTION!!!!!ID RATHER HAVE PALINS HUSBAND FOR PRESIDENT HE SEEMS LIKE A FAIR AND BALANCED GUY…ONE THE “FEMS HATE” IMAGINE THAT….AMERICA IS OFF TRACK ALL THE WAY AROUND…”GOD ‘HELP’ AMERICA!!

Posted by jennifer | Report as abusive

from the beginning when Obama run for president and vice president McCain run for president, I already chose to vote Obama.

the Lord bless Obama…go Obama. God speed.

Posted by thought2 | Report as abusive

Sen. McCain has done a sad about-face on nearly all the great issues of the day. He’s not only bought into the radical right/neocons’ line, but he’s signed off on Sarah Palin being tutored politically by the same folks who engineered the Iraq debacle. Bill Cristol was her biggest booster, and now this “blank slate” (their words) is being prepped by the crowd who gave us mushroom clouds and fantasy WMDs, pre-emptive war, Abu Ghraib, rendition, and on and on. Bush, in other words.

Palin is an eager, ambitous novice, and they’re filling her head with neocon rot, using her to further their familiar failed philosophy, one that has caused such misery in the world. John McCain is clearly okay with that. Says volumes about how much the man has changed and what kind of leader he would be. I’m guessing he avoids mirrors as much as possible these days.

Posted by dmw | Report as abusive

I think it is utter nonsense to say that Obama is all talk and no substance. Really, are the candidates supposed to take charge of the country before they are voted for? Funny, I didn’t realize that…. Obama does in fact talk a lot. Its actually a really good thing, because he clearly lays out the details of what he plans to do. Of course he throws in some riotous comments here and there. It’s a shame that the media chooses to focus solely on that. Luckily, the debates are coming. Johnny Mac had better show there is something going on upstairs or the polling trends might be turned upside down. He surely won’t be allowed to have Palin standing next to him in order to distract from reality…. Unless he negotiates that into the debate appearance…. after all, if McCain isn’t ready to speak to America, he just might choose not to show up lest he be unfairly criticized for his ill-preparedness.

-mkell

Posted by mkell | Report as abusive

There is a glimmer of hope.

In college, my friends called me cynical. They said that people were more decent than I gave them credit for. I claimed back then that I was not cynical, I was a realist. That I did not doubt fundamental decency, I just doubted education, objectivity, and rationality.

Over the years, I’ve not been proven wrong. This campaign, McCain’s fall from Honor, Hillary Supporters for McCain (or worse, for Palin) only reinforce the views I’ve had since college.

But for the first time since, well, ever, I sense a slight glimmer of hope. I’m noticing more and more folks recognizing the cynicism and calling it out for what it is. And not just from the Bill Maher’s, John Steward’s, and Al Franken’s of the world, but the Karl Rove’s, Scott McClellens’s, Lou Dobbs’s, even the Bill O’Reilly’s. More and more people are starting to say, enough of the lies and and spin; this is going too far.

I wrote more about this idea here:

McCain: Victory with Honor (or Not… Whatever Works)

McCain has ALREADY LOST – he has sold his SOUL and CHARACTER to the right wing. He has changed his stance on energy, immigration, taxes, economy and every thing else. In fact he is now hiding behind the skirts and sexy glamour of Palin. I feel sorry for a man that I once used to respect.

Posted by Chris Smith | Report as abusive