Tales from the Trail

Hagel questions Palin experience

September 18, 2008

Sarah Palin has energized the Republican base since John McCain picked her as his vice-presidential running mate, but one prominent Republican is not impressed.hagelobama.jpg

Nebraska Sen. Chuck Hagel, a Republican, is questioning whether Palin has enough foreign-policy experience to serve as the country’s second-in-command. “She doesn’t have any foreign policy credentials,” Hagel told the Omaha World-Herald. “You get a passport for the first time in your life last year? I mean, I don’t know what you can say. You can’t say anything.”

“I think they ought to be just honest about it and stop the nonsense about, ‘I look out my window and I see Russia and so therefore I know something about Russia,” he added. “That kind of thing is insulting to the American people.”

A conservative Vietnam War veteran and outspoken critic of the Iraq War, Hagel has cultivated a reputation as somebody unafraid to buck his party.

Hagel traveled with Democratic candidate Barack Obama to Afghanistan in July and was mentioned as a possible Obama running mate. He had kind words for Obama’s eventual pick, Delaware Sen. Joseph Biden.

“An Obama-Biden ticket is a very impressive and strong team,” Hagel said in August.

photo: REUTERS/Ali Jarekji (Obama and Hagel visit Amman, Jordan in July 2008)

Comments
79 comments so far | RSS Comments RSS

How odd, indeed. Aside the fact that Hagel’s sympathy has resided in the Democratic Candidate ( I guess he is the de facto Republican version of Joe Lieberman), He must forget that Palin is only the VP candidate, where his candidate, admitted or not, is also lacking in the same area, and is at the top of the ticket. Why else would BO go against his so called principles and have someone on the ticket who has been in Washington longer than John McCain. It is PRECISELY because Barack has no experience either, other than serving a number of months on a committee or two. Whoopie-do, he made a tour oversees, which was nothing more than a campaign swing, and photo ops. He also touted his early childhood living oversees.
Quite clearly either candidate forms their policy with a team of advisers, and both have their own set formed primarily out of, and of, the Council of Foreign Relations, which by the way if not for the Obamas’ early affiliation with Breszinski, and others, he would not have been put into the place where he would have made a run, first for the Senate, and then for the Presidency.

This experience canard, as well as other bogus issues brought up by these ‘campaigns’ are just distractions from bigger issues, foisted upon a public that merely reiterates the slogans out of the 2 camps.

What we really need are totally open debates where other candidates, who are now locked out of the system can participate. Then maybe more of us citizens can make a truly or at least better informed decision. Hard enough since the ‘media’ is repsonsible for disemination of this ‘information’, and does so for the most part with a huge lack of journalistic integrity.

Jeff

Posted by Jeff B | Report as abusive

Chuck Hagel is a fool, he’ll probably vote for the “experienced” Barack Obama for president. How can anyone say Sarah Palin is inexperienced is amazing, especially considering she is only running for the VP Spot and Obama who has less experience than Palin is running for the top spot. Palin has eight years executive experience, two years of which running the State of Alaska. Bill Clinton had only been governor of Arkansas when he was elected president. Palin also has experience running a business, she has strong conservative beliefs and the determination of a bulldog. Hagel is nothing but a RINO who is hated by everyone anyway.

Posted by Dr_Moon | Report as abusive

Nice try, Andy. There is not a conservative anything associated with Hagel (RINO-NE).

Posted by artgrrl | Report as abusive

She has more experience than obama who has NEVER been successful at any job. Foreign policy experience chairing a committe which hasn’t met, majoring in foreign relations at Columbia??? Does the comment 57 states tell you anything. Mr. I vote Present is clueless about the real world and obviously hasn’t lived in it–check his lifestyle. Take or give money anything but actually EARN IT. Millions of dollars from Fannie and Freddy to his financial advisors, millions to programs with no oversight, and bankrolled by a convicted felon for 3 campaigns. Obama, what a great man!!!

Posted by Frank | Report as abusive

Thanks for your “expert” opinion Sen. Hagel.
I think we’ve had enough of what you and your colleagues call “qualifications”. You show what a snob you are by saying Gov. Palin is not the kind of American we need to lead in this country.
Hey, guess what!! We’ve had enough of people like you who think they know how to lead our country in the right direction. Look where that has gotten us in the past few decades: wars, wars, wars, trillions of wasteful gov’t
spending of our tax money, near police state legislation, ever expanding reach and size of federal gov’t, debt, debt, debt, etc.
And to all the people who think Americans who support the McCain-Palin ticket are “intolerant/uneducated rednecks” that just shows how out of touch you are with reality. You think that anyone who disagrees or doesn’t think with your worldview is ignorant. Just because we didn’t take federal funds for our education or go deeply into debt by supporting the out of date “higher education system” but instead chose to educate ourselves and develop objective/alternative viewpoints doesn’t mean we don’t have a brain or can’t think intelligently. Yes, I went to college but I’ve learned alot more by reading and studying on my own from many sources rather than just the one prescribed in schools today.

Is Hagel a midget or is Obama just that tall?

Posted by Porky | Report as abusive

I’m from Nebraska and didn’t vote for this so-called Republican clown and am very glad he is leaving office. He came in from living out of state for a number of years claiming to be a Nebraskan while all along living and working in DC. Ran for the Senate seat here and was elected. He has never represented Nebraska as he did as he wanted and not what his constituents wanted. Good riddence to him.

Posted by FE | Report as abusive

Experience?? PLEASE!! Lefties think that Sara Palin in unqualified for VP — citing her inexperience. But they seem to have no problem with Obama having even LESS governmental experience … and he’s at the HEAD OF THE TICKET! She’s in an understudy position! It’s really the most hypocritical garbage I ever heard. Obama wants to tout his “running for office as experience … that’s a good one, and almost factual! He’s really never done much besides running for office — after becoming a U.S. Senator, he couldn’t wait to blow out of town go after the next job. People of Illinois!! — why don’t you DEMAND that he do the job that you just recently gave him. I mean, don’t you feel just a little bit used?
Sara Palin has a job running a state government, without any of the luxuries of voting PRESENT. Joe Biden said that the office of President was no place for on-the-job training — but that’s exactly one of the duties of a VP.

Posted by Matt Lantiere | Report as abusive

This is very refreshing to see. Senator Hagel is a Republican who truly puts ‘country first’…and speaks the truth. Many of us are thinking what he just said. The thought of V.P. (or even President) Palin worries me considerably. Chuck Hagel is the true maverick here. Congrats to him for speaking his mind.

Posted by Robert | Report as abusive

Hagel should took at the top of Democratic ticket and he will find the least qualified candidate to ever run for the office.

Posted by Greg | Report as abusive

Which side was Hagel veteran of and conservative what – communist? The O-B ticket is the strongest socialistic, marxist, and UnAmerican combo ever. The only experience BO has is organizing marxist groups, kissing up to mobsters and terrorists and pretending in office with absolutely NO leadership practice. JB spent most of his time running around in circles when not commuting and his leadership skills are like the old Keystone Kops. This team spells “Bye, Bye Miss American Pie” and the end of the greatest self-government of mankind with lots of bloodshed to come. Sarah has more quality experience than O-B combined. But It’s John who’s running for Pres and he trumps everyone. AND, both Sarah and John are All-American, Freedom-loving and Pioneer-spirited. Come-on Cornhuskers, dump your communist lover.

Posted by Jimmy Mike | Report as abusive

Chuck Hagel is an insult himself, in my opinion…
The comment “I can see Russia from my house or back window,” whatever, was in the first place taken out of context whenever it is quoted. The beginning of the paragraph and ending are conveniently left out. Palin was pointing out how incredibly close to Russian borders the US is. And that frankly, scares me!

It is something very dangerous for us right now considering the Georgian-Russian conflict. Can’t Hagel figure out even THAT much?

And what is Chuck doing now? Quoting Tina Fey on SNL? Is that the best he can do?

Hagel, be Quiet, please. If you are so dense you cannot understand the significance to our borders you should keep your opinions to yourself. You are an embarrassment.

It is insulting that Hagel even gets air time and I all get to do is write this email.
Well, at least I get to do that much.

I’ve never in my life read a blog that’s coated with so many liberals who consider themselves “Republican”. You people are a joke. Palin is one the most conservative republicans, you people who write in this blog might consider yourselves republicans, but you know what, you’re just liberals dressed in republican clothing. Republicans are dead, and CONSERVATIVES are making a comeback. Deal with it. McCain/Palin 08. Palin/Jindal 2012.

Posted by Kyle | Report as abusive

ummm….like Obama has extensive foreign relations experience. He has been in office for how long? Yeah, that’s what I thought. Don’t listen to what 80% of the media tell you, they are too biased. Use your own brain and do your own research. I don’t know about you but I sure don’t want another lawyer turned politician as president or vice president. Doesn’t mean I am going to vote for Mrs. Palin either. As far as experience goes…they BOTH have none when it comes to foreign affairs. However, Mrs. Palin DOES have far more experience than Mr. Obama when it comes to office; look it up.

Posted by Keith | Report as abusive

I really have to wonder about people who prate about Palin’s lack of experience to qualify her for the vice presidency, when they back a candidate with less experience than she has for the presidency.

Posted by Royalsan | Report as abusive

Most people posting on this blog don’t know very much about Senator Hagel. He has one of the top conservative voting records in the US Senate for a conservative, voting with Bush 90% plus. He is a Vietnam vet. He is now speaking out against John McCain’s pick as VP, an unknown entity called Sarah Palin. … and the more we know of her the more Hagel is right.

Posted by Jim Lochrie | Report as abusive

Obama can not be compared to Palin. Obama is brilliant, a graduate of Columbia and Harvard, a renouwned professor at University of Chicago and a civil rights lawyer, an Illinois and US Senator and loved throughout the world.

Palin is a runner up beauty queen, a newscaster, a mayor of a town smaller than many high schools and a governor for one of the smallest populus states in the nation. Palin is under a serious investigation for abuse of power which she has refused to cooperate with.

Obama wins hands down on experience and ability to lead the greatest nation in the world. Palin is just an embarrassment!

VOTE OBAMA-BIDEN!!

Posted by Theresa | Report as abusive

I think that Chuck Hagel represents the best of American Politics. He is the epitomy of an independent thinker. We need more politicians like him to bridge the gap between Republicans and Democrats and try to find common ground and compromise that we can agree on rather than always pandering to the extreme factions of each party.

Posted by Brad | Report as abusive

Gee, what a surprise. Chuck has been following Ol’ Barack around like a puppy dog ever since some knucklehead reporter told him he might be considered as a vice presidential nominee if he denounced life itself and bowed at the throne of Barack Nation. The only Democrat in Congress with any balls is Joe Liberman. The rest of them are adjusting their makeup with the rest of whimps.

Posted by Dave P. | Report as abusive

Personally, I think that if one is going to make a statement about the American people and pretend to speak for them, they should know something about them. As an American and a Republican, I think quite a bit more highly of Palin, than I do of Hagel, as of this moment.

Posted by Cliff C | Report as abusive

Hagel campaigned as a conservative in Nebraska. Since being in DC, his desire to be in the news more than representing his constituents has made him a laughing stock here. As for being “brave”, “honest” and a “maverick” what a joke. Hagels positions are the most spineless, flop in the wind positions ever. I want to know why a liberal Republican is considered great, and a conservative Democrat is a turncoat. I have more respect for a person with firm convictions that I do not agree with, than someone like Hagel who talks one way at home, and bashes his constituents positions on TV in DC.

Posted by Mike C | Report as abusive

If the republicans are elected, and something happens to McCain does that mean his entire cabinet goes away? Does anyone really think that Sarah Palin wouldn`t seek advice from anyone, even Joe Biden?

Forget about her foreign policy experience. The woman doesnt even know what “Women empowerment” means. At their last joint town hall meeting she was asked by a woman in the crowd about the McCain-Palin plan for women empowerment. And her reply was that has gotten to this position because of her abilty to focus on both her studies and sports during her school days.

Come on face it. She is totally uneducated, has no intellect and no experience. Hats off to Mccaain for picking her.

Posted by sahir talibuddin | Report as abusive

Now McCain Campaign is asking for rules for Palin’s debate with Biden.
Rules for Sarah – include scripted interviews, not turning in tax returns, not showing up for troopergate.
Tom Brokaw, Bob Schieffer and Jim Lehrer – we are counting on you to do your job like Charlie Gibson did. There are no rules when someone is running for VP. There were none for Hillary or anyone else.
People lets just call this what it is – a farce. McCain is putting himself first not the country – don’t let him fool you.
This is a sad day in America

Posted by Hottopics | Report as abusive

Obama in March 2008 on his foreign policy quals:

“Foreign policy is the area where I am probably most confident that I know more and understand the world better than Senator Clinton or Senator McCain,” Obama said, according to the Huffington Post.

“It’s ironic because this is supposedly the place where experience is most needed to be Commander-in-Chief. Experience in Washington is not knowledge of the world (but what about SFRC experience?). This I know. When Senator Clinton brags ‘I’ve met leaders from eighty countries’ — I know what those trips are like! I’ve been on them. You go from the airport to the embassy. There’s a group of children who do native dance. You meet with the CIA station chief and the embassy and they give you a briefing. You go take a tour of a plant that [with] the assistance of USAID has started something. And then — you go.”

“You do that in eighty countries,” Obama said, “You don’t know those eighty countries. So when I speak about having lived in Indonesia for four years (beginning at the age of 6), having family that is impoverished in small villages in Africa –knowing the leaders is not important — what I know is the people…I traveled to Pakistan when I was in college (for three weeks)– I knew what Sunni and Shia was [sic] before I joined the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.”

Posted by Ragan | Report as abusive

No Doubt there are only few people both in America and aound the world like Hagel who fears no party favour to say the truth.

He is a real man with great fear of God in him,determined to speak the truth.I am an African but he is a true giant.

Vote Obama

Posted by Stanley Akujiobi | Report as abusive

.. and an Obama/Hagel ticket would be even MORE impressive! Biden has to reign in his rapid-fire response to questions. He doesn’t babble, as does his Republican counterpart, but his statements WILL be vetted. Senator Hagel, continue your fine mentorship of Senator Biden.

ALWAYS Respectfully,

barb thompson

Posted by Barb Thompson | Report as abusive

Chuk Hagel only shows that he is a man with Uprightness and very intelligent and smart not to subscribe in to the McCain/Palin School of Deceit about Anything and say anything with Lack of Substance and full of Lies.

Americans are not as Dump as the Two Repulican Presidential candidates and so is Hagel. Who again will subscribe to the Republicans candidates school of Foreign Fears and War Jakal.

Now that the Millitary Brigadier has said that Taliban War can not be worned totally, but the Insurgent could only be reduced, hence the calls to talk to the Rebels so as to create Long Last PEACE in Afghnistant. I am sure that McCain/Palin were not aware of this yet, ofcouse they will not speak to Terrorists and so I will not expect them really to be aware of the Latest Development in the World Politics. McCain and Palin will go on to kill another 10,000 Innocent Afghans as per their School of Thought and expect the Taliban to fade away completely.

Republican also will go on to Bomb Iran as soon they get to office yet expecting Iraq to prostrate to their selfish interest and there by limiting the creation of Fresh Terrorists. They have forgotten that terror BEGETS Terror regardless the way the other sides fight it.

The Americans know when Enough is Enough and so is Hagel.

Obama/Biden 08

Posted by Roy | Report as abusive

This is one of the reasons I wrote in Chuck Hagel for President today.

November 4 2008