Tales from the Trail

Palin sees debate with Biden as ‘quite a task’

September 18, 2008

WASHINGTON – Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin sounds a bit wary about her upcoming debate with her really, really, really experienced Democratic rival.

“Senator (Joe) Biden has a tremendous amount of experience,” she told Fox News. “I think he was first elected when I was like in the second grade.”

If her running mate John McCain, 72, wasn’t hoping to be the oldest person to begin a first term as president, one might think Palin was suggesting Biden, 65, was old.
 rtr21yw7.jpg
“He’s been in there a long, long, long time,” Palin said. “So he’s got the experience. He probably has the sound bites. He has the rhetoric. He knows what’s expected of him. He is a great debater, also.”

“So yes, it’s going to be quite a task in front of me,” she said.

Palin also said she didn’t mean to insult Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama in her nominating speech when she belittled his experience as a community organizer.

“I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a community organizer, except that you have actual responsibilities,” she told the Republican convention.

“I certainly didn’t mean to hurt his feelings,” Palin told Fox News. “Didn’t mean to offend any community organizers either.”

She said she did it because Obama had taken a shot at small town mayors.

The Alaska governor, little-known before being chosen as McCain’s running mate, said she respected former Democratic presidential contender Hillary Clinton but disagreed with her on the issues.

Clinton has been campaigning on behalf of Obama since losing the Democratic nomination, but she has avoided direct confrontation with Palin.

Clinton planned to speak at a demonstration against the president of Iran, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, near the United Nations which convenes its annual General Assembly next week but she canceled the appearance on Wednesday after learning Palin would also address the crowd.

A Clinton adviser said the protest had not been billed as a partisan political event.

Organizers of the demonstration subsequently announced Thursday they had decided not to let any American political personalities appear.

Click here for more Reuters 2008 campaign coverage.

Comments
59 comments so far | RSS Comments RSS

Come on ladies! Does she really portray the image of what it takes for a woman to succeed in politics? Palin, shes a rabid dog! Say what you like about Hillary, at least she was professional and knowledgeable. If voting on gender is important to you, look hard at the image you are supporting and then think twice.

Posted by Chris | Report as abusive

She’s just trying to lower expectations. Don’t expect her to answer any questions with anything that isn’t a line from her vetted stump speeches. She’s not the brightest bulb and she’ll use the same tactic Bush used. Stick to prepared phrases and if there’s a question you don’t want to answer, ramble a bit and then give a canned response for a point you wanted to plug that has nothing to do with the question that was asked.
Biden will answer the questions. She won’t and I won’t be suprised if the vast majority of dumb voters end up somehow thinking she wins the debate just by showing up.

Posted by mike | Report as abusive

Everyone has the facts here right? And those that say McCain will deliver right? Well answer me this, how can McCain deliver when President Bush said you should vote McCain because he promised to not change any policies that Bush made, hmmmm suonds like the very same as the last 8 missuable years we always had,,,,no i see no real changes at all, but improvements that may cost us more money from a woman that used earmarks that added millions of dollars.common people be sensable and use your heads,,wake up!

I’ve never seen the democrats so scared. This blog is proof positive that they are really scrambling. I’ve changed my affiliation to Ron Paul, but I can’t believe how harsh the democrats are attacking Palin on her intelligence. She’s HONORABLE simply by being a governor, yet you act as if she’s a low life uneducated nothing. You are very wrong about what she is. I think she is more than capable of being VP or even P. Watch out, you worst nightmare might just become a reality.

If both Biden and Palin sent their resumes to any businessowner or Human Resource Department based on their education alone, Palin would have a difficult time getting a job with a lot of responsibility.

Now, let’s take a low paying job like a greeter in a store. “What specific experience do you have meeting the public, Nancy.” If my answer were “Since I’m not from around here, you can try to stump me all you want. Go ahead.” I would not even be considered. If my Dad stepped in to tell the recruiter that he believes I really am qualified, my job application would be tossed into the garbage as soon as I walked out the door.

Now her staff, along with her husband, are breaking the law by disobeying subpoenas. We would be in jail if any of us violated a court order.

Yesterday the McCain people insisted on changing the format of the upcoming debate so she won’t get “tripped up” (their words, not mine) by Senator Biden. I can’t imagine Hillary Clinton asking for special treatment, yet Sarah Palin called her a “whiner” during the primaries.

I just don’t get it. I posted on another board that the Palin’s total higher education adds up to 4 years (not counting the time changing schools or dropping out) Joe and Jill Biden have about 17 years between them. He has a doctorate of law. (4 yrs undergraduate and 3 or 4 years law) and she has 2 masters (one in Education, one in English) and a doctorate. That’s at least 4 yrs undergraduate and about 6 years graduate work.

Why anyone would want the Palins to represent our country is beyond my comprehension. We don’t need “dudes” we need class. We need to get back the global respect we lost the past 8 years or we will just keep getting weaker and weaker. If Palin can’t handle public questioning, media scrutiny or a debate with Biden, how will she be able to handle Putin or other world leaders? Now that the rules have been changed, she will have less to memorize, and any tough questions by Biden will be called attacks on her character.

I want to add, that although it’s not one of the issues, I feel very sorry for the little baby who is being dragged all over the place, often in noisy settings with a lot of commotion. I can’t understand why people with conservative family values aren’t disturbed by this.

Posted by NancyinFL | Report as abusive

America or Amerika? Capitalism or Socialism?

Why would anyone support MORE government involvement in their lives (unless they don’t WANT to take any responsibility for themselves)???

Hasn’t government proven time and time again that it is NOT the great, loving protector it professes to be?

I pick the candidate with a proven record of not only bucking his own party – but reaching across the aisle and working WITH the other team when possible. Haven’t seen ANY of that from the opposition. Not once, not ever.

McCain/Palin all the way!!!!

Posted by Kity | Report as abusive

WHERE DO YOU PEOPLE GET YOUR INFORMATION. HOW WOULD YOU KNOW THAT OBAMA HAS PAID BLOGGERS? FROM WHERE CAN YOU CONFIRM THAT INFORMATION.

DOES MCCAIN? HE DOESN’T NEED THEM BECAUSE THE ACTIONS OF PALIN AND MCCAIN SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES. DISHONEST AND NASTY. MY LIFE IS AT STAKE AND I CAN’T BEAR THE THOUGHT OF MCCAIN RUNNING THIS COUNTRY. HE CAN’T EVEN TAKE CARE OF HIS FAMILY. (EMOTIONALLY ,JUST FINANCIALLY). I AM NOT A WOMAN LIKE PALIN. THE THINGS SHE HAS DONE IN HER OWN TERMS AS MAYOR AND GOVERNOR ARE DISPECABLE. I HAVE RESEARCHED EVERY PIECE OF INFORMATION I COULD FIND ON HER AND IT AMAZES ME THAT SHE CAN EVEN SHOW HER FACE IN PUBLIC. I AM REPUBLICAN, WHITE, FEMALE WITH A GOOD JOB.

Posted by CONSTANCE BESSETTE | Report as abusive

I saw McCain on CNN today and he was totally confident and relaxed. That is because he is going to cheat during the debate. Remember, McCain finished last in his military college and chose a woman who has no knowledge of history, current affairs, the world. What would suddenly put him at ease, now that we’ve seen Palin has no clue how to coherently respond to the simplest interview question?

He is going to cheat. His team will rig Palin with electronic devices so that they can advise her during the debate, in the Dr. Phil show mode. So Palin will suddenly know more about foreign affairs than the most seasoned diplomats and she will be an expert on every topic, like an erudite professor.

Tune in to see this. It should be a lot of fun. The contrast from Palin totally lost and confused in her rare recent interviews to this new Palin will be utterly miraculous –and I’m sure that Palin will call it an ACT OF GOD.

Posted by Andrea Jones | Report as abusive

I am very Republican, but I have to declare a Repub loss. Palin just couldn’t handle Mr. Politician. I posted a blog declaring Biden the winner, but stating why the Repubs will still win!

http://averagepolitics.wordpress.com/200 8/10/02/biden-vs-palin-who-is-the-victor  /