Tales from the Trail

To debate, or not to debate, that is the question

September 24, 2008

WASHINGTON – Republican presidential hopeful John McCain has proposed postponing the first debate with his rival, Democrat Barack Obama, citing a need for the two senators to return to Congress to help hammer out a compromise on a $700 billion bailout for Wall Street.

For his part, Obama said the debate, which is to focus on foreign policy, should go ahead because now is a time when Americans need to hear from the candidates.

Should the two White House hopefuls go on with the show? Should they switch the topic of the debate to the economy? Or should they cancel as McCain suggested while dealing with the crisis?

Have your say in the comments section, or log onto the news prediction market HubDub to place a virtual wager on whether Friday’s scheduled debate will take place.

Will the Obama/McCain debate happen on Friday?

Click here for more Reuters 2008 campaign coverage.

Comments
60 comments so far | RSS Comments RSS

There appears to be an overwhelming vote to continue the debate, of which I totally agree. What’s alarming is the comments from the McCain supporters that tend to be very nasty and defensive. If you don’t have anything but slander to add to what is largely a well-thought-out and intelligent interchange, then you’re really just following your candidate’s lead.

Posted by rilo | Report as abusive

“send Sarah Palin to cover for him. I would love to see what she has to say.”

I think we all DESERVE to see what she has to say. So far all they have done with Ms. Palin is hide her. Just more proof that she was chosen solely as a “trophy”. I would love to see her debate moved up, but either way, somebody needs to participate in a debate on Friday

Posted by Jeff Landis | Report as abusive

It’s a pity that McCane is trying to manipulate the American public because he doesn’t have another way of garnishing support. It seems from the blogs that there are a few people falling for it. Hopefully most Americans are smart enough to know better! Who was it in the Republican Party that said the American economy was a sound one?

McCain is going to send Sarah Palin to the debate. This is going to bring Obama down to VP level and affirm McCain at Presidential level.

Posted by Hank | Report as abusive

This is W’s responsibility. The other 2 are not important. We don’t know which one will get the mess? If I was a CEO, I don’t want the applicants tell me how to do my job. These applicants did not even get thru the first interview.

Posted by Doe | Report as abusive

Unbelievable grandstanding by McCain. He isn’t even on a committee working on this bailout.

Turns out the White House had this drawn up months ago and never once met with Congressional leaders to suggest they get their ducks in a row. Not once.

Now, they want to effect the election, and further disrupt our process by throwing this out a week before Congress was scheduled to adjourn, hoping they’d pass it hastily.

I’m so sick of the Bush Administration and the GOP I could puke. I voted Republican too. Screw ‘em.

Posted by Danny | Report as abusive

I’ve been involved in planning debates and know the tremendous amount of time, effort, and expense that goes into coordinating them. I had a candidate try to pull out on me about a week before the event. I called our state’s major newspaper and the Associated Press and made sure that our story got out first. The offending campaign wanted to restart it. I only would only accept an apology from the candidate, not from any of his staff.

I hope John McCain is apologizing for his irresponsible behavior. He might think he has more important things to do, but he is showing little regard for all the people that are attempting to put unedited information before the voters. And he is denying all of us citizens the opportunity to judge for ourselves.

I plan to have my television on at 9:00 tomorrow night……………………..Philis

Posted by Philis Alvic | Report as abusive

McCain, Rove, Steve Schmidt, Rick Davis & Co. must have be at their wit’s end!

Barack Obama’s polling numbers were rising across the country, he had just taken the lead in critical swing states, and he was gaining credibility among independent and crossover voters.

Meanwhile, McCain’s Rove-Boys, the ultimate one-trick-dogs of American politics, were again serving up the same old Rove-style “culture war”, but were going no where!

Voters, faced with hard economic times, and a threatening financial crisis, were not taking the bait, yet McCain had bet the farm on it.

The glamour was also wearing off of Sarah Palin, as voters learned of her unbridled pork-politics (to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars), her flip-flopping (for the Bridge to Nowhere before she was against it, and pocketing the money in the end anyway), and her ongoing stonewalling of a legislative investigation (Troopergate) into abuse of office charges against her.

It didn’t help when Palin started making statements in her few selected interviews that could only convince voters she was obviously not chosen for her political competence.

With McCain’s actuarial table showing a 1-in-3 chance of Palin actually taking over as President during his first term, her performances (“I can actually see Russia from an Alaskan island”; “the Bush Doctrine – in what respect?”; “McCain’s record on finance regulation – I’ll get back to you on that later”) began turning her into a liability for the Ticket.

On top of all that bad news, the first Presidential debate loomed, threatening to cement Democratic gains, and McCain losses.

Yikes! What to do?!?

Well, we now all know McCain’s reaction to his ship-wrecked campaign: stop the press, halt the campaign, all hands on deck, country first, I must go to Washington! And there he was, McCain suddenly on TV trying to sell himself to voters as the one person needed to fix it all.

FACT: McCain invited O-bama to debate in “town hall” style settings repeatedly over the summer. Obama declined every time. (Who’s the chicken?)I know, I know, that’s never referenced in Obama’s house organs (aka MSM).

McCain’s call to put politics aside is a legitimate reason to postpone the debate.

Also remember – there is no teleprompter at the debate. Pee Wee, at a minimum, is going to have to respond to real questions (at least from McCain). Barry’s big adventure continues (though not much longer)!

Posted by Ward | Report as abusive

The public deserves to hear McCain/Obama debate this evening and the topic should not be foreign issue but the financial crisis.

Posted by isabelfarell | Report as abusive