Tales from the Trail

Palin talks abortion and newspapers — sort of — in Couric interview

October 1, 2008

palin30.jpgKANSAS CITY, Missouri – Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin is happy to discuss her views on social issues like abortion and homosexuality, but reluctant to list what she usually reads to keep up on world events.

That’s the takeout from a series of interviews the Alaska governor did with CBS anchor Katie Couric, which aired on Tuesday night.

Palin, whose opposition to abortion rights has ignited support among social conservatives, some of whom were wary of presidential nominee John McCain, discussed whether rape or incest victims should be allowed to have an abortion.

“Personally, I would counsel the person to choose life, despite horrific, horrific circumstances that this person would find themselves in,” she said. “If you’re asking, though, kind of foundationally here, should anyone end up in jail for having an … abortion, absolutely not.”

When asked about her views on homosexuality, Palin talked about a close friend who is gay.

“One of my absolute best friends for the last 30 years happens to be gay, and I love her dearly,” Palin said. “She is one of my best friends, who happens to have made a choice that isn’t a choice I would have made. But I am not going to judge people.”

Palin has faced criticism for lacking experience in foreign policy. Before becoming governor some two years ago she was the mayor of a small town.

Here is her response, according to a transcript provided by CBS:

Palin: I’ve read most of them, again with a great appreciation for the press, for the media.

Couric: What, specifically?

Palin: Um, all of them, any of them that have been in front of me all these years.

Couric: Can you name a few?

Click here for more Reuters 2008 campaign coverage.

Photo credit: REUTERS/Stephen Mally

Comments
108 comments so far | RSS Comments RSS

True, most people do not read newspapers, but read news online or watch TV/listen to the radio. I am one of these people. Sarah Palin could have said that as well. Heck, she could have kissed up to Katie Couric and said, “I get my news from you.” She didn’t. Case in point–she doesn’t read or have a clue what’s going on in the world. The fact that she can’t even complete a sentence is proof enough.

I would laugh at her stupidity, but I’m more scared that anyone would consider this idiot for any position of power, let alone VP. She’s an embarrassment to women; McCain clearly played the gender card here. He could have still played the gender card and picked another woman for his ticket–Olympia Snowe, Christine Whitman…

Posted by MD | Report as abusive

I am so frustrated by all of the liberals who can’t see past their own self-centered views. I am voting for McCain and Palin because they choose to protect the most innocent among us. I could really care less about what newspaper Palin chooses to read…I think that pales in comparisson to Obama’s consistent fight to kill innocent babies!! These comments are simply ridiculous…just a bunch of narrow minded liberal jibberish!

Posted by Jen | Report as abusive

READ IT AGAIN… IF YOU DARE

“Couric asked Palin what newspapers and magazines she read regularly before becoming McCain’s running mate “to stay informed and to understand the world.”

Here is her response, according to a transcript provided by CBS:

Couric: What, specifically?

Couric: Can you name a few?

Palin: I have a vast variety of sources where we get our news, too. Alaska isn’t a foreign country, where it’s kind of suggested, “Wow, how could you keep in touch with what the rest of Washington, D.C., may be thinking when you live up there in Alaska?” Believe me, Alaska is like a microcosm of America.”

Posted by MichMan | Report as abusive

Did it occur to you Palin-bashers that she didn’t reveal names of newspapers/periodicals because she knew the public would find a way to use it against her? We all know how super biased the media is. I’m sure Sarah didn’t want to be labeled as too liberal or too conservative for her choice of reading material. And maybe…just maybe she didn’t want to give in to Couric’s needling. Too many people are giving Couric more credit than she deserves (She’ll never hold a candle to Walter Cronkite). She is far cry from fair and is incapable of giving the public an honest view that isn’t tarnished with her own left-wing wacko politics. There was no way to win in this interview; Sarah was damed if she gave names and damned if she didn’t. C’mon people, Palin didn’t get to where she is by being stupid. Wake up!

Posted by AK | Report as abusive

The crash in the housing market was caused by Democrats insisting that every American deserves a house, even if they can’t afford one. The failed policies of FDR are coming to roost.

FDR was one of, if not the worst, Presidents ever and his policies extended the Great Depression in the US for several more yeasrs.

Barack HUSSEIN Obama is advocating the same type of policy. WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COMMUNISTS!!

HUSSEIN OBAMA? How could any AMERICAN vote for a man with that name who has said that he would support the Muslims in any war with the US? My God(not allah), have we all gone mad?

Posted by Crash | Report as abusive

oh my goodness.Are you guys 4 real? Am I the only one person that is scared to death that this could possibly be our next president of the United States of America? Hello,people!!! She Is Not Qualified. It was so obvious that she crammed for this debate and memorized a lot of what she said. Isn’t it interesting that after 2 weeks of bombed interviews, stupid comments, or “I’ll get back to ya later”, remarks, now all of a sudden she knows what she is talking about. Don’t be fooled people, she did not answer most of the questions she just recited what she studied these last couple of days at debate camp. if she is so smart, let her answer of few of the reporters questions or let her go on hardball or countdown. Thats when we will all see the real Sarah Palin come out.

Posted by letty | Report as abusive

I hope I’m not bashing Palin. I respect her, as I do everyone else. However, my most important thought in this election is that if something was to happen to the President and the VP had to fulfill the duties, it’s a scary thought that she would be running this country. I’ve had an open mind and listened to everyone’s debates. The most I hear from her is “Maverick, energy and hockey mom.” She’s avoided more questions than just “what do you read?”

Posted by TERRELL | Report as abusive

Wow Crash-

The US going to war with a religious group? Muslims, Islamic peoples. Wow.

And if I might add, I don’t thinkt that someone’s name has anything to do with whether or not they are right to run our country. And I’m not even pro-Obama!

I think everyone should take Couric’s interview worth a grain of salt. She’s left-wing and will therefore try to persuade her viewers as such, regardless of the facts. I think everyone needs to let the premise register that Sarah Palin can freaking read and start moving on to things that matter.

Posted by K | Report as abusive