Tales from the Trail

Round 2 is over — which way are undecided voters swinging?

October 8, 2008

rtx9bhu.jpgRound two of the presidential debates between Republican John McCain and Democrat Barack Obama is over.

How did they do?

The town hall format was seen as an advantage for McCain. Did he live up to expectations?

Obama has been gaining an edge in many battleground states. Did he do anything to undermine or enhance his small lead?

Did they focus enough on the issues? Were undecided voters swayed?

Click here for more Reuters 2008 campaign coverage

- Photo credit: Reuters/Carlos Barria

Comments
185 comments so far | RSS Comments RSS

Obama won!

Posted by Khadar | Report as abusive

the issues have been clear after the first debate.
this one just repeated same old rhetoric from both sides in a different format.
it was an improvement over the first debate for mccain in that he seemed more relaxed.

however, i dont want another republican in the white house for atleast 2 terms.
after that i will reconsider.

Posted by scott | Report as abusive

Obama won….. no doubt….

Posted by Harry Ingram | Report as abusive

McCain won the debate because he had clear and decisive answers. Obama focuses too much on emotion, and his overbearing insistence on ignoring time constraints was annoying.

Obama won by effectively countering McCain’s distortions of his record and proposals. He demonstrated a firmer grasp of today’s economic realities and their origins in deregulatory policies that McCain has long supported, and his views on foreign and military policy match up better with those of our generals, former secretaries of state, and oujr allies than McCain’s do.

Posted by Daniel Zimmerman | Report as abusive

The debate was a disappointment. Brokaw was unable to manage it and, instead of staying in the background like Gwen Ifill, made himself into a distraction by his carping about the format.

Both candidates seemed tired; McCain looked terrible. They were both effective in pounding on their respective messages. Obama maintained his cool while McCain seemed frenetic. It was telling that his attempts at humor fell completely flat with the audience.

I’d give the debate to Obama by a small margin based on the more substantive content of his responses.

Posted by Kate | Report as abusive

McCain won! Obama wants to pay more for those that don’t want to work. What a loser!!!!

Posted by Jsinc | Report as abusive

Funny that time was my anti-spam word.

I feel like Obama spent more time on the issues than McCain did. I felt like McCain was in more of a desperate attack mode, whereas I felt calmness and real answers coming from Obama.

I thought the town hall format was great and I wish that there were many, many of them before the election.

Posted by Dave | Report as abusive

McCain’s platform was a draw, which technically means Obama won

Posted by Sarah | Report as abusive

I guess Obama won, but wasn’t that convincing. Mc Cain was stuck in the past and unable to make his point. He kept repeating “my friends” to the audience and left promptly after the debate whereas Obama stayed and talked to everyone…

Posted by Dex | Report as abusive

Nothing in this debate will change any minds already made up. To the extent that John McCain needed to score points in order to blunt Obama’s recent surge in the polls, he lost.

You people don’t get it. Obama just contradicted himself over and over. Liberals are following Obama like a puppy follows the dog catcher to doggie hell! I wrote a blog post about Obama’s contradictions, but I’m sure liberals will tell me how stupid I am, and how I am wrong with the same old language, “Change!”

http://averagepolitics.wordpress.com/200 8/10/07/debate-winner-obama-or-mccain/

Barack Hussein Obama only know and understand the surface of the picture. He is too dangerous to lead a country. Too bad that the U.S media networks filters the news and favorite Obama for their gains. The sad part is that Americans are buying that!!!

Posted by vieto | Report as abusive

After the debates, I opened my ballot envelope and voted for Obama! McCain, thanks to Palin, lost my vote with this week’s ferocious attacks with no substance on issues.

Posted by Beverly from Colorado Springs | Report as abusive

Obama clearly won. McCain is a bad joke for the presidency.He will be worse than George Bush!

Posted by AYO ABRAHAM | Report as abusive

Nobody won. I heard absolutely nothing different. The debate was status quo, and nothing new was learned.

Entertainment? Sure. A good use of my (and America’s) time? Not really.

Posted by jnali | Report as abusive

OBama Won again !

Posted by Robert | Report as abusive

Obama, easiy.

Posted by Eloise Nyman | Report as abusive

McCain won! No contest……

Posted by Chris | Report as abusive

Obama won!
As for Mc SAme, Surge Surge is the only thing that he thinks is his major achievement. It is just like saying I burned the house and found a good “strategy” to contain it :) . idiot! “THIS ONE” needs to be kicked out in this election

Posted by moorlee | Report as abusive

America is going to vote for John Sidney McCain, not for Barack HUSSEIN Obama.

Posted by antor | Report as abusive

If you are going to make a statement about who won in your opinion, then back it up with why you think that.

Posted by hmmmmm | Report as abusive

The political equivalent of heavyweight boxers wrapping up for 12 rounds. Anybody who says this was anything but a tie is exposing their pre-determined allegiance

Posted by trn | Report as abusive

Wow, so McCain just destroyed Obama in the debate tonight. McCain futures are already pointing up in Intrade. What say you guys about a huge rally in the market tomorrow, essentially pricing in a McCain win?

McCain’s comments seemed dead on about being in dark, hopeless hours during his life and he can guide us competently and calmly through this financial turmoil.

I can’t believe I’m saying all this as a registered Democrat! Here’s to a McCain rally in the stock market tomorrow!

Posted by relat | Report as abusive

McCain has won with the record that he has, Obama has no record whatsoever in anything!

Posted by antor | Report as abusive

McCain seemed so calm and collective with all of his answers tonight. He had the audience laughing, he spoke clearly and directly to those with questions, and his closing remarks really brought about confidence in the American people.

McCain won hands down.

Posted by jermaine | Report as abusive

McCain decries sending billions of dollars “to countries that don’t like us very much,” by which we assume he means, among others, Iran and Russia. But because of the rise in oil prices resulting from the Iraq war, Iran and Russia are raking in billions of dollars in oil revenues. It’s a simple equation: War John McCain supports waging indefinitely = regional destabilization = increased oil prices = higher revenues for regimes John McCain wants to contain.

Posted by getplaning | Report as abusive

Obama in total control ! Would not want to be riding
in the car McCain is driving. Yikes !!

Posted by Scott Wheeler | Report as abusive

McCain said he wanted to “get rid of” the “special interests” in Washington to solve the economic crisis. 164 former lobbyists, however, run his campaign, raise money for him, and set his policy agenda.

Posted by getplaning | Report as abusive

It was clear that Senator Obama was focused on the strategies and solutions he will need as president, whereas Senator McCain was reflecting on the past and still desperately running for president. Their behaviors tell the story…

Posted by photon | Report as abusive

I found McCain’s statements on economy to hold more substance/merit. Obama’s plan is less sound and raises some distrust that he will inevitably raise taxes.

Unfortunately, at the end of the day… I do not believe McCain’s substance this evening will beat Obama’s “presentation”. This election remains Obama’s to lose, not McCain’s to win. Obama’s gift for presentation won the debate despite McCain’s superior platform.

Obama was shown to be a reasonable, altruistic, intelligent person, and is the clear winner.

Anyway, I’d vote for Obama one way or the other – Palin just freaks me out, and imagine McCain becomes ill! Palin is the next person in the line of succession. She just poses too big of a risk to have such power.

I’m an independent and I feel that Obama won the debate. I feel that he spent more time on, and was more direct with his answers on the issue that matters to me the most – the economy. I thought McCain looked a little desperate – always saying “my friends” and trying to inject humor that fell flat. So far I’m leaning Obama/Biden.

Posted by Joe | Report as abusive

Obama won clearly. It wasn’t even close, it was a landslide.

Posted by Paler | Report as abusive

Overall I felt that Obama had a slight edge. But frankly it was yet another debate with the same talking points, and no new ideas or clear answers! Please wake me up after Nov 4th!

Posted by George | Report as abusive

Sen. Obama did a great job tonight staying on subject. For him to be the quote the inexperienced one, he sure looked polished to me. Had much more substance in his answers and did you notice no cheat notes. And remained seated while Sen. McCain spoke showing his manners while Sen. McCain walked and made jesters showing his lack of restraint, how would that come into play for Sen. McCain if elected. I listened tonight to try and understand the two men, Sen. McCain gave me my choice for sure tonight.
After his child like decision to pick Palin as a running mate. Sen. Obama My CHOICE

Posted by Rev. Dwayne Gammage | Report as abusive

McCain clearly won. Obama gets credit for a better explanation of what the bailout means, beyond that he faltered, stumbled and sounded like a broken record. He “agreed” with “John” on a number of occasions.

McCain was much stronger on the economy and foreign affairs.

Brokaw is a shell of what he once was…shame-I like him.

Posted by Michael | Report as abusive

Obama outclassed. Anyone that thinks otherwise is simply misguided.

Posted by Suckbag | Report as abusive

When you guys highlight Obama’s middle name thinking people will link it to Saddam Hussein, you just show how naive and uneducated you are. Can we also link McCain’s name to McDonalds? Don’t you have a better argument?

Posted by Barry | Report as abusive

obama won and Mc-cain lost teribly. He did worse than expected and did not stick on issues on Americans

Posted by joe | Report as abusive

Obama won this debate and election!
This was the time when they had to show they understand the economy and the difference between old concepts and new blood was clear.
Its time to admit that we are in deep trouble and Mcain is not going to do any good to us .
PLEASE VOTE. IT’S YOUR DUTY!!!

Posted by cristian stefan | Report as abusive

McCain won- nobama was slammed for his senate campaign for promises never appearing- he is a man of no substance-
John McCain is Combat Proven! nobama didn’t have the decency to Thank A Chief Petty Officer for his service-
only stating like a limp dick that he appreciated it-
watered down empty suit- nothing done- no record- nothing to offer- the winner had answers to issues-

Posted by Tom | Report as abusive

MCCAIN WON BECAUSE THE PLANS HE OUTLINED TONIGHT ARE BETTER FOR THE MIDDLE AMERICIAN BUSINESS PERSON THAN OBAMA’S. MCCAIN IS A BETTER PRESIDENT FOR THE DEFENCE OF OUR COUNTRY.

Posted by denny | Report as abusive

McCain said that if we’d withdrawn from Iraq, Iranian influence would have increased and Al Qaeda would have set up a base. Both of these things happened because we invaded Iraq.

Posted by getplaning | Report as abusive

Obama won. Easy. He is eloquent and going for the roots of the problems we face here. McCain just want to cover issues with a band aids.

Posted by kristin Anderson | Report as abusive

To the guy who repeats Obama’s middle name in CAPS: I am glad you have such a good grasp of the issues.

Posted by Al | Report as abusive

Hmmm….I’m going to vote for “that one”

Obama/Biden ’08

Posted by Bassem | Report as abusive

mccain should get over this distain he keeps showing, after the debate, the obama’s came over to shake hands, mccain pointedly stepped back, encouraged his wife to, but he refused to. he also would not be specific, saying “i know how to …” like we should just trust him. not happening. BTW, M. Obama looks to me like there’s a bun in the oven.

Posted by anon | Report as abusive

This coming from Toronto, Canada….John McCain is an utter joke, cannot believe the fool cannot back up any of his beliefs with out having to quote who or what Obama voted for or having to look back to old loser Senate friends…..Obama all the way, is this even a race??? For the exception all the southern white folk that will be voting for navy boy, this isn’t even a contest…..Hopefully Obama helps us all, we and the rest of the world are suffering for idiotic American blunders….God Bless

Posted by Mass | Report as abusive

The debate was very boring.I understood Obama plans. But, I am still not clear what McCain’s plans are.

Posted by Rahsaun | Report as abusive

“Obama came across as presidential.” This is a quote from Pat Buchanan (of all people) on MSNBC.

Posted by pollywood | Report as abusive

Senator McCain won for sure. He has solid solutions for todays problems and he is 100% American. He did more for this country in five years as a POW than that sniveling rat Obama has done in his entire lifetime.

Obama won!!!!!!!!!! I think he is going to make a great president. He is very well spoken, calm and reasonable. Obama plans are also going to help the middle class more than McCain’s supercuts for only rich people. McCain has the same ideas as Bush! How can anyone want more of the SAME????

Posted by ana | Report as abusive

Senator Obama was presidential in every respect; exuded energy, vigor and intelligence, and won the debate. Senator McCain looked sick and tired and sounded like a snake oil salesman from the 19th century. Bottom line: McCain has been in Congress for more than a quarter of a century and our country stands on the verge of destruction – not his fault entirely but he certainly contributed to and has not averted the disasters we find ourselves mired in. It is time for new faces, not just in the Presidency, but throughout Congress. It is time for Americans to get real and get to work and vote for the future, not the past. Barack Obama’s middle name has nothing to do with anything and those of you using it as a scare tactic need to give it a rest. John McCain’s name ends with a “III” which says everything about his cynical sense of entitlement.

Posted by Kathy | Report as abusive

NO decision for me here.. still hearing the same old campaign snippets from each one.. Leaning toward Obama though..What kind of book did McCain write the first hour.. all he did was write down stuff. I guess he has to after all he IS over 70 and I know being over 55 I dont remember too well myself.. Obama looked more in control though.. McCain stiff and repeated “my friends” too much.. : (

Posted by Caroldee | Report as abusive

obama won hands down. i didnt mind mccain before. i though he was an ok republican but after he chose palin-the dangerous demagogue-he lost all my respect!

Posted by lilly | Report as abusive

Why in the hell would we follow this failed Administration with its clone? Everything McCain said reflects he is mired in the sloth and greed the surrounds the Bush Presidency while Obama refers to a culture of hope and faith in what is good about our great nation. John McCain may have started out with aspirations of greatness but his trajectory has fallen short. As he plainly states, he wanted to change Washington but Washington changed him. Game over for McCain.

Posted by william | Report as abusive

I believe Obama won. He more clearly addressed the issues and gave good explanations of his positions. He connected well with the audience. But McCain did pretty well himself. He projected a friendlier more energetic aspect than before. He definitely has improved his game. I think that McCain is a good man but his so-called free market solution to healthcare would bring on a disaster. We need to build on our employer based system, not wreck it. Obama would be better for this nation. I have no idea if either one of them can get Osama bin Laden and I don’t even know if that matters any more.

Posted by Steve | Report as abusive

McCain won slightly for me, simply because Obama scares me, due to his dodging of the truth and questionable associations, and has not addressed any of these charges. Even this week, members of Obama’s Campaign and supporters threw a party for the president of Iran , celebrating a man who claims the holocaust never happened and that he will destroy Israel. Henry Kissinger stated after the last debate that Obama also lied about his statements on sitting down with Iran. As a man of Jewish descent, Obama scares me more than anyone I’ve ever come across in U.S. politics. This is all on top of the statements I’ve read from Obama’s brother who says that he did grow up Muslim (something his school records and family in Kenya also support). I can live with Muslims, and do. What I can’t live with is someone who does not stand up to radical Muslims who wish to destroy Israel, and who has to lie about their past and treat us like we’re all children if we question his statements and ties. We are big enough to accept for who they are now, but not if they have to lie and cover up their past…that gives me grave concern about who he actually is now….at least I know this much: he is dishonest and surrounded by people who are dangerous and bigoted.

Posted by George | Report as abusive

Obama was much stronger, despite McCain’s supposed advantage with the town hall format. His answers were much more substantive. McCain’s responses were often rambling and incoherent.

this debate was worthless, look at the running mate picks.

mccain picked sarah palin. what a joke.
that proves he cant make good decisions.

Posted by scott | Report as abusive

Obama is the real panorama.He has the knowledge,the wisdom,the diagnosis and the method to treat uncle Sam from a chronic paralysis.

Posted by Peter Efthymiou | Report as abusive

Eloquent speakers do not get my vote. It is a man who has proven his character without the media having to be present who will obtain my vote.

Posted by Kristi Osborne | Report as abusive

Obama = boring

McCain wins my vote simply because he has a pulse (which is ironic since he’s 70, but Obama is the one who appears close to death).

Posted by Tim | Report as abusive

If you lived through getting Jimmy Carter elected to only be totally disappointed — vote for McCain after tonights debate — Obama is a bad memory — full of promise and no delivery. As an Independent since 1971, Obama blew it tonight — Promises, promises — we ko not need any further political promises.

Posted by David Thomas | Report as abusive

Obama came to the debate to prove, once again, that he has what it takes to lead this county…he accomplished this goal. McCain came to the debate to bolster his chances of winning…he did not accomplish this goal.

Obama won.

Posted by Tangito | Report as abusive

30 million dollars of illegal campaign donations to the obama funds are from middle eastern countries. WHY BECAUSE THEY KNOW OBAMA WILL BE A VERY WEAK PRESIDENT. THIS IS REASON ENOUGH TO VOTE FOR MCCAIN

Posted by denny | Report as abusive

Ok, I’ve always considered myself a Republican…but enough with the “pork barrel spending” already McCain! I’m tired of that phrase. I honestly have to give it to Obama. I’m still not completely decided but I may wind up going with Obama.

Posted by Kandi | Report as abusive

The only hope Mccain has is to alienate the pro-Obama white voters

Posted by tom | Report as abusive

Obama won. He answered the questions. McCain just accused.

Posted by Stephen | Report as abusive

Let’s keep things in perspective: Obama has the market as far as internet/blogger junkies are concerned (and I, too, fall into that demographic). So naturally most internet article comments will lean in favor of Obama.

I am also an independent voter as well. Personally, I’m on the fence with both and as far as things are concerned now, I’m leaning in favor of voting Nader. I haven’t seen enough of a blowout from either Senator to swing my vote in their favor. If anything, the more and more I follow, the more I see them being the same of each other. Just to name a few examples: neither are proposing a radical change in health care; Obama’s stance on the war seems to be shifting more towards the center; and last but certainly not least – both candidates are playing low-ball smear politics.

From a fairly objective standpoint concerning the debates, I believe both candidates did a good job arguing their respective policies. But I feel that it was all a reiteration of what we already know. This is all fine in terms of energizing their party voters, but still nothing convincing enough to sway my vote -and presumably – that of other other independents’.

Posted by Monica | Report as abusive

McCain lost when he chose Palin. Obama won tonight and will win the election.

Posted by Kayla | Report as abusive

I do not feel either candidate answered how their healthcare plan made sense. Felt like they were talking in circles avoiding the negativity of either plan & hope neither gets passed.

As for who won this eve, it was a draw as much as the last.

Posted by Alexis | Report as abusive

It is sad that US politics have become such a polarized tug-o-war when the actuality is that a Gaussian bell curve represents the reality that presidents are elected by the vast majority of those voters in the middle ground.

It is even sadder for all of us that the harsher reality is that the current fiscal disaster is only just beginnning, the proposed solutions are unproven attempts at a fix and even if the best possible solutions are in place…this is still just the beginning of impact.

The next Presidency will be not be defined by either candidates visions of a creating a better tomorrow, but rather just keeping us afloat.

Posted by Randall62 | Report as abusive

All we can hope for is whoever becomes President they will actully show the powr of the Office to truly make changes

Posted by tom murray | Report as abusive

OBAMA won. McCain came off like the fake politician he has since he tied his sail to Bush 8 years ago. As a lifelong Republican (and I’ve had 50 years of it), I’m finished. Consider me a Democrat for this race. Republican incompetence, lies, and avarice have ruined my faith in the party. May G*d bless us all.

Posted by Colorado Matt | Report as abusive

Obama won for two major reasons.

Reason #1 Obama stayed calm, collected, and cool. McCain fidgeted all over the place and looked sick as a dog.

Reason #2 Obama tried to turn answers that require an hour long lecture into coherent, mostly accurate 1 minute responses while McCain stuck to party line rhetoric answers that didn’t say anything new.
I
Now, this wasn’t a huge blowout win for Obama. It was more like a modest edge over McCain. Maybe a 5 to 10% advantage win.

Posted by Brian Wolfe | Report as abusive

Did anyone notice that Obama flip flopped on offshore drilling twice? He stated that he does support after saying months ago that he doesn’t, then he said that it isn’t the answer and doens’t support it. I really think McCain did well, and was consistant through the debate, where Obama showed he has little experience and isn’t quite ready to lead.

Posted by Jason | Report as abusive

Obama won hands down. Funny how the McCains quickly left the building right after the debate ended.

Posted by Bikeridinman | Report as abusive

Obama won – without question more presidential. Also, I thought I’d throw my shoe at the t.v. if I heard McCain say “My Friends” just one more time.

Posted by Margie | Report as abusive

Could the Cowboy and the Maverick please turn out the lights on the way out? Say goodnight, Johnny!

Posted by Denise | Report as abusive

mccain is too old and looks like the side of his face is going to fall off.

Posted by madge | Report as abusive

“My Friend”… sorry, is time to retire, for McSame!

Obama is a young, strong, educated, refined, decisive man, what Our Country really needs in these difficult and delicate times.

Why the *&%#! did McCain had to pick Palin. That is totally freaking people out. I mean, he has done great and could still win but Palin as a VP sounds too risky for some people.

Posted by Al | Report as abusive

McCain won, you people are infatuated with TV actors, can you not see through this act of Obama’? He is a natural , he knows what moves to say, when to come back with a small fraise or statement that has nothing to do with what was asked. Why are you all so mesmerized by a man who has no experience in this type of office, , none, not even a day? What is wrong with you people, he is an actor and a good one. He is performing and you just bought the ticket to the biggest show in the world. Don’t be so easily fooled. McCain will change the economy around, our country can not stay the way it is or it will cease to exist at this rate. So someone one is going to change it, McCain or obama? I want experience with my change please. Think about it awhile folks, really think about it.
Ranny

Posted by Ran | Report as abusive

McCain did batter than last Debate. But Obama made it clear that McCain will continuing the same policy as Bush did in Eight years.

Posted by Hoda | Report as abusive

Hey Toronto, Canada – Are you a US Citizen? If not, how about saving your opinions for your own country’s debates. This will be our president, not yours. This is our country, not yours. One of the candidates, howver, seems to forget what country he is running to lead. He felt it necessary to pander to crowds in Europe instead of staying here and talking to Americans. You know, the trip where he did not have time to visit American troops, and cancelled that leg of his journey when he found out the cameras and the press would not be following him.

Posted by Pawprints | Report as abusive

Mccain did better than i anticipated. But i think obama did better than mccain.

Posted by Marcus | Report as abusive

I thought McCain showed a much broader and potentially successful vision for our country, and therefore won the debate.

McCain’s plans on EACH priority actually logically connected to the others – a total package. Obama’s were disjointed and conflicting.

McCain’s plan empowers the individual to make choices for himself. Obama’s plans insist that we all pay the government to make those decisions for us.

Commiting to the country’s energy source transition as an industry absolutely should be our next “wave” of development as a nation and global leader, not to mention wins battles on every front.

Posted by Leighsa | Report as abusive

If it wasn’t so serious, I’d be happy to see McCain win the election and Palin to take over the Presidency mid term – it would be more entertaining than most Hollywood scripts. Unfortunately, there is more at stake here than entertainment. I hope we all realize that and take this election seriously.

Posted by DD | Report as abusive

I saw a McCain that is under my expectations compared to some great Republicans.

Obama is a strategic and rhetoric with some cool if not cold sentences.

From my foreign point of view without having the right to vote I guess Obama won. Specially if that was on MacCain’s ground. Never than less, it is close and still open who is going to be the leader and keeper of the American way.

Foreign goverments might prefer the republicans to win because its quite predictable what the are going for.

The Democrats with the start of a woman or a colored candidate, started already up with a change. Something that has never been before as president of the US.

Like most of the world i will keep an eye on this election.

They are both puppets! It’s all a charade! Watch the Zeitgeist Addendum and wake up!!

OBAMA clearly won. McCain’s finished…who would want to see him & Palin for the next four years?

Posted by Pat Valese | Report as abusive

Obama won hands down!!! Barack Hussein Obama kicked McCain butt!!!

Obama’08

Posted by LaVida | Report as abusive

John McCain must get over the appearance of an angry old man. Tonight should have favored John McCain with his town hall meeting experience, but he seemed annoyed to be on the same stage with Barak Obama. I sincerely believe John McCain has lost his focus and his mojo. I had to move all of my modest investments to money market funds today to limit my exposure to the toxic stock market. I will not give another chance to the party that has delivered us to ruin. Vote for change.

Posted by EDWARD | Report as abusive

McCain was on the defensive,because he is so out of touch with middle America,the Real World.The only people he can relate to is George Bush and this country can’t tolerate 4 more yrs. of Greed and corruption. Which is exactly why our Economy is in the dump,and the rest of the world is trying to help and rescue us out of it due to McCain ,George Bush policies,strategies,with obvious little regard for most of us who aren’t in their tax bracket. McCain would have us involved in more wars than George Bush has and more of our children,grandchildren would be forced to serve at the expense of more lives being lost at whatever the cost would be. The past 5 yrs.,has been grueling for our troops to say the least,sending men,women to war without even the necessary vital equipment needed to protect them in a war is ,let alone an exit plan is Absolutely Shameful to say the least. For McCain to say he’s patriotic,when more jobs in this past administration have sent more,more jobs overseas for CEO’s of large corporations to have huge tax breaks is sickening.How is that patriotic? It’s no wonder our economy is in the toilet and once again America is in the spotlight for another failed mess that George Bush along with McCain’s approval,support have failed as Leaders of such a great Country.
OBama, all the way to the White House.We need a real Leader,not more failed policies,more enemies across the hemisphere. Obama has a plan and has repeatedly laid it it out on the table. God Bless Obama to lead the way! God Bless our Troops!

If I was to judge who won, and the candidates, by the quality of the posts here in favor of each I would have to deem McCain as the loser, and a pathetic one at that, and Obama the winner and a reasoned, reasoning intelligent winner. Granted there are some well reasoned posts for McCain, but they are completely overshadowed by the ignorance and inanity of the rest. They would have us choose a candidate based on his name and can find no better ways to support their position than by petty insults, unsupported contentions and the print equivalent of screaming. These narrow minded haters are what’s left to McCain because these are the folks to whom he and his “Attack Dog” are directing their last ditch desperation appeal. Joe Six Pack is insulted. Soccer mothers are defecting in droves.

Posted by Stephen Manion | Report as abusive

I’m an independent, but I’m voting for Obama.He is more rational,more realist,more truthful and more pragmatic.Somehow,McCain looks phony or used car salesman.

Posted by Peter Efthymiou | Report as abusive

Obama had more substance. McCain still came off rude with the “THAT ONE”, comment and corny jokes in a serious debate.

Posted by Dbow_Charlotte_NC | Report as abusive

Generally people who post and use words like “blow out” or “liberal” or “conservative” made up their minds before they even watched the debate. They could have typed in their answers a month ago and they would still apply. An ignorant waste of time.

Both are career speakers and for undecided people like me the formats are never really useful because the candidates refuse to give specifics. Obama did give me more than McCain though. It was irritating to have him keep pushing the clock though. McCain just can’t get past the dirty film that comes with his party for me at this point. His loyalty to the party scares me because I don’t think that he can be loyal and bring change. They are opposite things at this point. It goes to Obama.

Posted by Walter Eggars | Report as abusive

During these economically trying times, both candidates did not touch on the two most important aspects that US citizens must adopt and live the lives : CONSERVE ENERGY & RESOURCES AND PRACTICE THRIFT. These two traits will help us get through the difficult times ahead.

Posted by Ari | Report as abusive

My fried, winning a debate does not necessary translate to vote. CNN – independent citizens from Ohio also thought Obama won the debate. However more people are going to vote for Mccan(14 to 11). Race is big factor especially for old folks.

Posted by Ted Chyn | Report as abusive

Both senators were very good tonight – clear and for the most part, on message. McCain won – and the reason why is that he is not the orator that Obama is – but his message about a president needing to make tough decisions, not knowing what the future will hold, and needing a track record, good judgement and strong character resonated with me. I can see through his record (though I haven’t always agreed with him) that he is ready and willing to make tough decisions – even if the polls don’t agree with him. With Obama’s lack of concise answers and firm stance on issues (more rhetoric than solid proof – like voting present instead of voting yes or no)I fear for what kind of decisions he would make under pressure. For character and dependability, I vote for McCain.

Michigan has had only Democratic senators for the past 8 years – and a Democratic governor for the past 6 years – and we are definitely much worse off under their leadership than we were when we had a Repulican governor looking out for our interest.

Posted by Michigan Voter | Report as abusive

Being that the good ol’boy from AZ. Has Gotten himself stuck in the mud as late as earlier today. Then he comes on the tely in front of the whole nation. And turned away from everything that he and his kronies have been slinging. Than he has the where with all to stand in front of my T.V. Take up my eveing with look at me ” I KNOW HOW TO FIX IT ” look at me ” I AM THE HERO “. This is the very type of act that has us proud americans just down right tired of it. This is the shameless finger pointing and name calling, that we as americans have to speak out on. It a component of our great nation that also has to change. And from that view point, It is why i belive that our next president will without a doubt be BARACK OBAMA. He so far has been the one to at least try to stay away from the spitting and mud slinging. Yet when forced to do so he has it him to do what must be done to set things correct and clear. He has also been the one whom has been clear with where he stands on all the concers at hand. Obamanos america…

McCain’s ‘Heros’ are all ‘HAS BEENS’ and he apsires to be a has been if only he could be!

Its a no brainer, Obama for President!!!

Posted by Tycoon | Report as abusive

1. ALTHOUGH I HEARD THE SAME SUGGESTION TODAY ON NBC, McCain claimed he owns the idea of helping home owners by renegotiating their mortgages.
He doesnt pay attention to the real world. He got the idea from a Harvard economist, so McCain thought that meant he has a patent on it. I have been hearing it for a week on TV.

2. McCain was so tired he had to lean on the chair. My friends, McCain is cooked.
My friends, presentation is 1/2 the process. My friends, people will remember him being exhausted. My friends, vote for Obama and send I’maPow back to Arizona to retire.

3. Each candidate did best what they do best. Obama was calm and presidential, McCain was on a tirade about his foreign policy issues.

Posted by bruce becker | Report as abusive

McCain WON this debate and I think the people will feel his readiness to serve the country. He showed that he is ready to command. Obama with all the reforms may need another 4 to 8 years to run again.

Posted by Rafa | Report as abusive

It wasn’t either candidate’s shining moment. However I think Obama maintained his composure better. His delivery was consistant and direct. McCain wasted his time and energy trashing Obama instead of just staying on topic.

I also don’t think in the middle of a debate is a good time to throw out wild changes to ones platform. The whole mortgage buy back deal seemed to be something McCain just pulled out of his head in the heat of the moment. Since he halted his campaign for almost a week to focus on the financial crisis – why didn’t he talk about all this mortgage buy back thing then?

Posted by Vickie from Florida | Report as abusive

McCain’s ‘Heros’ are all HAS BEENS and he aspires to be a has been if only he could be!

Its a no brainer, Obama for President!!!

Posted by Tycoon | Report as abusive

LIFE-LONG COMMITMENT TO YOUR COUNTRY ABOVE ALL AND COMPETENCE VERSUS
CHARISMA(CLEVERLY PACKAGED)

McCain is what America needs now by a country mile

Posted by ABBA LEITER | Report as abusive

I have always thought McCain was basically an ok person – not presidential material though. After his recent smear tactics and the selection of Sarah Palin, I have now lost all respect I had for him. He is condescending and negative – just what Americans do not need right now.

Posted by Mary Nell | Report as abusive

Whose Undecided???
I’ve decided not to vote for either of these clowns!
Third Party all the way…

This debate covered well-trodden ground by both parties: the economic crisis, healthcare and energy policies. McCain strove to address the first issue with a slight plan adjustment. We’ll see how voters react tonight and tomorrow to his recommendation.

But before I give my opinion of who won tonight’s debate, let me address a serious issue I have with these posts. I cannot convey how disheartened I am to read ignorant, hateful posts like this:

“…Liberals are following Obama like a puppy follows the dog catcher to doggie hell! I wrote a blog post about Obama’s contradictions, but I’m sure liberals will tell me how stupid I am, and how I am wrong with the same old language, “Change!””

I respect each opinion here, but I ask that you please respect the forum that is a public discussion–not a partisan mudslinging contest.

Who won? It depends. For the side of me that wants a reliable, “count-on-me” person in these tumultuous times, I was moved by McCain’s compassion and honesty–the kind of man who pats a retired Navy officer named Terry on the back and thanks him for his service.

But I also need to know my president’s plans and to feel assured that I’m entrusting leadership to a ‘fixer’. And Obama gives me that assurance when he talks about his priorities, about his revenue and tax plans, and about how to restore America’s global reputation by the “power of its example” (thank you Bill Clinton).

In the end, I favor my head not my gut. So this one goes to you, Obama.

Posted by Jeff | Report as abusive

I am independent but I think McCain had the edge. Obama is a “orator” and will lie and promise things that won’t be able to do, like a Populist do. McCain is the real deal and if Obama can clean his act regarding his real connections in the pass he may have another change to run again, after getting the experience needed something that McCain has NOW.

Posted by Evelinda | Report as abusive

McCain WON.

Posted by Rafa | Report as abusive

first of all i would like to say something to mass from canada.Why if we are such a terrible country as IT seems to me that you think we are then why is everyone from other countries SUCH as canada try to come here to live? That is one thing i have never figured out everybody wants to tear U.S.A down but get me on the next bus out of here so i can go and live in THE GREATESS PLACE IN THE WORLD!!!AMERICA!!!! Now as for the debate nobama (that is a good one never heard that till tonight)He sat back and acted like a child in his actions when McCain spoke and for the one who said McCain did not try to shake hands with nobama that is a LIE we watch that part over and over cause at first it seemed that way, BUT if you will look at it agian i guess for you in slow motion you will see McCain patted nobama on the back went to shake his hand and NOBAMA pulled back and shook cindy’s hand McCain had already tried to shake hands with him he pretended he did not notice McCain, now how many of you if you put your hand out to shake hands with someone and they responded as if they really do not want to HOW MANY OF YOU WOULD PUT YOUR HAND OUT AGIAN? not a dang one of you as sad as it is that is human nature.McCain is not PRESIDENT BUSH!!!!!!why should he have to pay for what happen under the Bush Admistration and let me add BUSH when he went into office had to come behind clinton and try to clean up his mess.I have come to believe this is a race based only what the color of skin each has,and let me answer you no i am not white only! and i very proud of that, i am not a racest, color of skin has not a dang thing to do with the way i feel about who is going to be our next commander in chief, it is about who can help us and back it up.I do have one question obama has on t.v now a 24/7 obama channel with him just talking and talking WHERE DID THIS MONEY COME FROM??If he cares so dang much about the ones who stuggle everyday with jobs bills medical insurance take your channel off the t.v that has to be costing God only knows and give it to people who need it right now. What is the saying charity begins a home? And another thing he would not come out and say is that NO HE WOULD NEVER GO AGIANST ISRAEL he went around that question every way he could without saying NO THE UNITED STATES AS LONG AS I AM PRESIDENT WILL NEVER GO AGIANST ISRAEL.And people i will tell you right now that scared the hell of of me!!!!READ YOUR BIBLE PEOPLE!!!the news now is like they are reading it right out of the bible.I pray that God’s WILL BE DONE IN THIS RACE NOT OURS BUT HIS.AND is there anybody that can honestly sat there and cast stones at anybody can you??

This comment is coming from… Chelyabinsk, Russia. This debate certainly did not bring any clarity for the questions like: “What are you ready to give up on as a president in this economic situation?”. Personally, I do not see how, say McCain proposes “US gotta leave troops in Iraq,” but he also agreed with Obama that “we need more troops in Afghanistan”. How are you going to do that? Surely, not out of your own pocket… I expected someone honestly stand up and say, “Yes, there will be tax raise”, because obviously there will be a raise, no matter who is going to take an office, Republican or Democrat nominee. For instance, I am very satisfied with less critique towards the Russian policy in Georgia. OSCE has published a record, where the observers stated that Georgia was an agressor. Russian answer was legal, but unproportional. Yes, there are should be negotiations, I do not exclude, may be sanctions. Russia has made a mistake, but Georgia did too. Mr. Saakashvilli, how did you expect unite the country by just going in there withh military and bombing everything that is in your way. McCain stated that there should be financial support for Georgia who is in desperate need right now. United States and George Bush could have prevented these expenditures, and the escalation of conflict late July, early August. Georgia now needs money because it conducted a military operation; it will need money in a little while because, I reckon y’all, opposition will get hold of Saakashvilli, and the elections will have to be conducted. As for Ukraine, president Yushchenko is deciding right now, right this moment on the political situation in his country. If he says “Yes”, the Verkhovna Rada (parliament) will have to go, and the new parliamentary elections will have to be conducted. Again, a budget burdain for the United States.

Overall, I was not impressed. Both Obama and McCain, certainly, are patriots and want best for their country. If I am to vote right now, I would probably vote for Obama. Though, I did not hear anything new, points he was making were substantiated, maybe, a little bit better than McCain’s.

Posted by Kirill M. | Report as abusive

Someone in his comment said, I don’t understand Obama’s health care plan…How much clearer he can be in the given 2 mintues !

People who are hardened republicans aren’t going to change their mind based on a debate…it doesn’t matter who won, same goes for democrats.

Me being a foreigner but with an active interest in american politics, I think Obama won by a large margin, he answered questions and not just attacked McCain…heck he agreed with McCain on some issues. McCain’s answers were mostly unjustified attacks, he called Obama “that one” which I think is beyond disrespectful.

McCain had a fair chance of winning the election up untill he chose Palin as her running mate, god forbid if McCain dies in office, America is doomed under Palin!

Posted by Sam | Report as abusive

Obama won. McCain tried the old wrap myelf in the flag tactic and had no response from the audience. Voter want solutions, not grand-standing.

Posted by Robin Reese | Report as abusive

Oh, yes, another thing: McCain stated he knew how to win wars and how to find Bin Ladin. Pray, tell us, John McCain, if you are so “gifted” why are we still fighting two wars and why is Bin Ladin still hiding? We have been in Afghanistan since 2001 and in Iraq since 2003… it is now 2008; what’s the holdup, John McCain?? Have you been keeping this “knowledge” to yourself and endangering our troops, literally killing 4,000 plus of them, so YOU can win the wars and kill Bin Ladin IF you become president??

Watching the debate from outside United States, I feel there is a shocking ignorance within the debate. My honest feeling is, the candidates are just pouring words that the American audience would like to listen. And then, who are these American audience? They are the ones who would like to spend most of the time watching ‘prison Break’. Its a pity that the presidential candidates are thinking more about America when they are talking about addressing issues like poverty and hunger in developing countries. Astonishing was some of the comments of attacking Pakistan, Iran and Elsewhere…I am not surprised why US is on the downturn…maybe the McCain camp has to understand more about peace and love and not violence.

Posted by John Calder | Report as abusive

It’s amazing how a near majority could go for one unproven candidate and ran on the theme of change and unity (Oh my, did we forget our history) Bush and now again go for another one. It’s scary. And if you doubt that fact about Bush please do some research. I’m a Dem but have little respect now for a candidate who snubbed Clinton and who is supported by (Oh my, many racists (over 80% for Obama – if that’s not racism well I guess it needs a new definition) and many sexists – and ladies women can be also). It’s simply disgusting. I am so disappointed by the American public right now. You voted for what’s in there now and it’s scary to look towards what the future holds. When will my fellow Americans learn and have some backbone. Stop the racism, sexism, elitism, leftism and rightism. I want someone who will work for all people and care about the middle class, our financial future and stability. I am just sick and tired of the ignorance out there. Please vote but I will hold you responsible if America falls further down the horrible path it appears to be going. Why didn’t you people vote in the previous election or care at all?

Posted by CJ | Report as abusive

McCain needs to appeal to the fears of Americans who already harbor them, like the guy named “George” who posted up there. Hire some outside groups to focus on Obama being black and Muslim, even though he isn’t a Muslim. The Swiftboat guys did the smear job well, McCain needs to do the same thing.

Posted by Tony Olson | Report as abusive

Obama obviously won. McCain comes across as old, desperate, condescending, entitled to the Presidency instead of “THAT one”, with inappropriate attempts at humor; there’s a phoniness and shallowness to McCain … shallow, that’s the word I’ve been searching for for quite some time to pinpoint about what’s “off” about John McCain. He doesn’t strike me as intelligent either … in that regard he reminds me of Bush. He also comes across as being full of hubris and bluster rather than ideas. Also he comes across as someone who’d just as soon go to war with you than talk to you … not much of a diplomat. He also has repeatedly displayed … disturbingly strange … foreign policy blunders and inaccuracies. Obama won. He looked confident, cool, collected, steady, calm. I thought for McCain … after McCain’s bazaar VP pick and his erratic antics of the last 2 weeks … for McCain to bring up a couple of times “You need a cool” … not sure that was the exact word … but “cool hand at the tiller” … I thought this reflected McCain being out of touch with his own erratic behavior to think that he’s the “cool hand at the tiller” when in fact his judgment and behavior has been quite questionable. Disturbing.

Posted by Audrey | Report as abusive

McCain won because he has policies and statements grounded in real life accomplishments. Obama say’s what many people want to hear but has just the opposite in true voting records. Too much like a used car salesman. I don’t need that extra ashtray in the back seat, i gave up smoking years ago and i cannot afford it. Look at the economy today and think if you will get even half of what Obama is promising. If he is elected, the number of prescriptions for Prozac will go through the roof.

Posted by Tenacious Moses | Report as abusive

What a big difference between the two candidates!! John McCain looked like he was having difficulty walking and looked old and worn out. In contrast, Senator Obama looked refreshed, vigorous, articulate, and presidential. Who do you want representing the United States of America?? Who do you want communicating and working with other world leaders and heads of states?? Who do you think will move our country forward? Who do you think will lift us out of our economy crisis, job losses, home foreclosures, loss of retirement funds, etc.?

I give McCain big thumbs up. Obama desn’t have a foreign p9olicy experien ce when it comes to running the world. President of the United Sttes oversees the nation and the world, however, Obama isn’t up to challenge, due to debate with John McCain. An experienced president knows how to solve the worl criss, and that’s Sen. John McCain.

John McCain looks smaller and smaller every time that he appears beside Barack Obama. I can see the day coming very soon when he will be completely irrelevant. Definitely NOT presidential material.

Posted by Roberta | Report as abusive

John Sydney McCain III (yes that is his full name), although you felt “town halls” were your strength, it is obvious that you have never faced opposition to your responses. Barak Hussein Obama beat you at your own game.

Sorry John, you are on the wrong side of history, and Sarah’s 15 minutes are almost up.

Posted by Mike | Report as abusive

I think Barack Obama came across as a more genuine person who cares about the people who have not enjoyed the excesses of the privileged. I sometimes think the people who are in control, like corporate executives for instance, totally disregard everyone else but themselves.

That’s not an America I can be proud of. Obama best represents my thinking. McCain just sounds so out of touch.

- Posted by Pawprints
———————
Okay Pawprints McCain IV, this is exactly how the current administration has treated many foreign countries and this is why we have lost standing in the world. The rest of the world is VERY interested in ALL of our presidential elections and WHO we elect as president affects the rest of the world. Our President is not in a box, what our President does impacts the entire world, not ONLY America! There is nothing wrong with our neigbors voicing their opinions.

Did Obama favors we can’t chhose our own health care, and it has to be chosen by the government? What’s up with that? That means the government’s going to choose the heath care physician, istead of we choose the doctor. What happens if we run out of doctors? Where do we go from there?

McCain is campaigning for the 1968 election. A time where we didn’t have the knowledge and research available concerning global and local events. McCain speaks to the “65″ group — those over the age of 65, and those under the IQ of 65.

Obama speaks to the rest of us. He speaks to an educated voter. A voter who is cognizant that the current administration, and for that matter conservatives in general, are in it for themselves. We now know what cutting taxes does…it puts public money which is ours, into the hands of private corporations which is there’s.

The wasn’t a debate. There was nothing to win or lose. McCain speaks and touts a continuation of a failed nation. Anyone who doesn’t see that, better buy a gun and store water and canned goods in the bomb shelter. A vote for McCain will totally erase the modicum of good will remaining for America around the world today.

Posted by David Campbell | Report as abusive

As an independent, I thought both candidates aquitted themselves quite well. The bonus bailout plan and the taxable $5k health care program (esp. for me, as mine is worth $15k – I don’t want to cut my coverage by two-thirds!) do not sit well with me; I must lean towards “that one”.

Posted by Vincent Truman | Report as abusive

Oboma won the debate big time, no doubt! He is composed just like the president—

Posted by Char Vansi | Report as abusive

John MCcain lost Colorado tonight.

Republican state no more!

Posted by Denver Dan | Report as abusive

The “Old Man” McCain is a man of the past using the outdated Arkansas Model(the model used by Hilary “the Monster” Clinton)
H B Obama is a man of future.
The economy is centre stage and the “Old Man” knows little of economics policy(He showed it the other day with his opportunistic trip to DC and his part in Paulson Plan failed at a cost of one trillion dollars to investors

OBAMA, when was the last time you heard about Bin Laden from anyone in the BUSH CAMP OR MCCAIN? OBAMA is not as strong on every single foreign issue, but the leadership is clearly there, and he has better insight, and is willing to find a way to work things out, but not afraid to defend if needed. He has a good balance. He has the strength to withstand what will be the most difficult role any president will face as we have major and multiple domestic and foreign and GLOBAL issues. McCain will be more of the same. And when it comes to record, McCain does not have a very good one, either with middle class concerns, nor with Vietnam Vetrans. That alone speaks volumes. His voting record in the Senate has been many votes of NO for Troop improvements he shot down. How in the world does that make him a hero now?

I was very proud of OBAMA. He can do the job. I find truth in him. I find lies in McCain. I find the common man and the common ground in OBAMA, I find division and hidden agendas with McCain. I find ability, and youth, with OBAMA. I find worn out ideas, or stolen ideology and lots of aging factors that are very troublesome with McCain.

Posted by jaJ | Report as abusive

KEATING ECONOMICS, just google that… if you are undecided, you won’t be after that. OBAMA is the man for the job… a job that is going to take all the strength and mental ability, clear thinking, leadership, and willingness to try NEW IDEAS that can be mustered. McCain is too old. He looks sickly. He was leaning on everything, chairs, and the railings. He was so worn out midway… he is not qualified …. he hasn’t got the stamina and the mindset needed to address all the issues that will need someone to jump out of the gate running. McCain votes against every major funding bill for the TROOPS Can you believe that? Just google KEATING, CHARLES KEATING and see how heavily involved McCain was for his association with this benefactor who by the way was indicted for his wrong doing in his company. McCain was involved in using his power to get deregulation passed so this best pal’s company would benefit and not be investigated. The bailout payout then was to the tune of $3.4BILLION, does that ring a bell folks? $700BILLION bailout. This man is wrong and this ticket is wrong.

Posted by jaJ | Report as abusive

I’m not American and no favouring anyside. The Presidency should be given to a person who is Open to feedback and has sound logic and who cares for people. Sure McCain is a war hero but the issue is whether he would be a good President. Race and religion are fears that are interfering with people’s judgement. Put them aside and it is clear that Obama is more confident, clear and cohesive

Posted by Cletus Fernandes | Report as abusive

“That one” won. McCain, whose anger was palpable, looked tired and acted condescending, even to those in the audience who asked questions.

Posted by oaklynne | Report as abusive

Vietnam Veterans don’t like him nor his voting record in the Senate. He only voted 4 x this year and there were 14 issues on the ballot. Can you believe that? War hero 50 years ago, not a hero now. He is an Aristocrat, an Elitist,
with his hands in the pockets of those on Wall Street. He could care less about middle class, health care, or anyone that doesn’t make more than $500,000 a year. Period!!!!

Posted by jaJ | Report as abusive

Neither won on any subject of real substance.
Obama’s tone of voice listening to the radio was condescending while McCain’s sounded like a doddering old grandfather. We have an intellectual idiot and a geriatric buffoon as the two top candidates. I’m voting Libertarian even though Barr leaves a lot to be desired.

Obama was cool calm and collected – an intelligent leader. McCain looked old and sounded like a 7th grader. Mostly tho, nothing new happened. Except McCain looked even more out of touch on the economy – the mortgage thing he proposed is already in the bailout and besides, obama proposed the same thing months ago!

Posted by lucyblue | Report as abusive

Americans make me laugh!!!

The Republicans Party has ruined your country in the last eight years and yet you guys give this senior citizen a chance??

What is wrong with you all????????

Posted by uk | Report as abusive

William Ayers- according to CBS Bews, Ayers was a terrorist, and Barack Obama associates with him. To me, this could be a dangerous idea, because he may cause terrorist attack in the future.

they both lost. obama seems cold and untrustworthy as usual, and mccain seemed desperate and seemed to be trying too hard. sad, but we are the usual victims of our lack of good choices.

the republicans may have made us look like idiots, but the democrats have admittedly ruined the world economy.

Neither… both failed to answer the questions as posed… set your political bias’s aside… go back and really pay attention to the questions… and the the answers… none were given… both used “polispeak” to avoid providing the other with any advertising sound bites… so I would have to say that we, the people lost…

How about a last minute write in campaign for Charlie McCarthy… exchanging one dummy for another is no loss… besides, if pulled it off, we get Candace Bergen for “1st Sister… Mortimer Snerd for Chief of Staff… and best yet… Denny Crane for Attorney General… then when openings occur on the Supreme Court he Allan Shore are named associate justices… Come to think of… this is beginning to sound pretty good…

It was CLEAR to me the Obama would be a foreign policy disaster. I don’t believe he understands the complexities of foreign affairs at all.

Posted by theGateKeeper | Report as abusive

Obama responses in this 2nd debate show that he understands the issues by explaining them clearly and offering plausible solutions. He demonstrates superior judgement in his opposition to the illegal and ill-advised war in Iraq and with his ability to turn attacks aside to bring people together (unless, as demonstrated by racists and xenophobes, they are obstinately determined to remain separate.)

I want a president who can prevent war not start one for personal gain or vendetta. Obama is a brilliant leader capable of foresight and good judgement based on current facts and history. He listens, absorbs, and integrates new information quickly and is capable of using the advice of experts needed to run our country effectively, smoothly and with attention to essential details, like upholding the Constitution. As a Constitutional Lawyer he is well qualified to uphold his obligations as President.

Obama has years of experience as a Senator for Illinois.

McCain appeals to people who want “Yes or No” answers to all questions even ones that require deep thought, genuine knowledge and thinking outside the box.

The mistaken idea that definitive answers demonstrate knowledge and wisdom is common among people who have not given genuine thought to serious local, national and international issues. McCain may have experience but he hasn’t absorbed the lessons of that experience to serve the public more effectively; only to serve himself and his friends more effectively.
McCain has demonstrated by his lifelong support of deregulation that he does not care about middle class America, the backbone of the economy, and prefers to reward wealthy friends far beyond reasonable entitlement.

The people who refuse to understand Obama repeat foolish and ugly lies they have heard from racist, xenophobic cynics.

Posted by Louise | Report as abusive

“. . . that one” won

WHY DO YOU GIVE A CNN POLL AND CBS, COME TO FIND OUT CNN ASK THEIR VIEWERS WHO WON, IT IS ALWAYS THE DEMOCRAT, CNN IS SO IN THE TANK FOR OBAMA AND CBS LAST TIME ASKED FAR MORE DEMOCRATS IN THEIR POLL, IF YOU SITE CNN, WHY NOT SITE FOX NEWS, AT FOX NEWS MCCAIN WON BY A HUGE MARGIN, HE ALSO WON ON DRUDGE AND WEL ALL KNOW THAT DRUDGE DOES NOT JUST GET CONSERVATIVES THAT GO THERE, FOX NEWS HAS RATINGS WAY HIGHER THEN CNN SO WHY DOES REUTERS ONLY SITE THEM ON CABLE?????? BECAUSE THEY KNOW IT WILL BE FOR OBAMA. PEOPLE HEAR POLL RESULTS AND THEY KNOW THAT IT WILL PUSH VOTERS INTO THINKING THEY ARE THE CLEAR WINNER, I THOUGHT MCCAIN WAS WAY MORE EXPEIRENCED, IT SHOWED TONIGHT, HE HAD A PLAN, HE DOES NOT WANT TO RAISE MY TAXES, AND I JUST TRUST HIM MORE, I DO NOT TRUST OBAMA, HE LOOKED LIKE A KID STANDING THERE IN A COLLEGE DEBATE, HIS STYLE IS GOOD, BUT STYLE DOES NOT MAKE A GOOD PRESIDENT, HE JUST SCARES ME, THE PRESS AND MEDIA ARE SHOVEING HIM DOWN OUR THROATS, ALL THE PRESS AND MEDIA ARE DOING ALL THEY CAN TO ELECT HIM, THEY TALK LIKE IT IS OVER, JUST WHAT THEY DID TO HILLARY, TRYING TO TELL HER TO GET OUT OF THE RACE, REMEMBER?????????? WELL IT IS NOT OVER!!!!!!! AND I WILL VOTE FOR MCCAIN AFTER BEING FOR HILLARY!!!!!

Posted by Sandra | Report as abusive

I was surprised that McCain did not do well in his much touted town-hall format. The camera angles consistently diminished him physically and he had to resort to vague rhetoric too often. Obama was consistently articulate and seemed to connect with the audience much better.

I was so disappointed in Obama. I am beginning to see how much he contradicts himself. Is he suffering from cognitive dissonance? I do not know now if I really believe him anymore. He seems to be more about appearances than substance. It hit me when I heard how he responded, relative to McCain’s answers.

Posted by Rachel | Report as abusive

I think voters will see that McCain’s display of disdain for a fellow US Senator does not bode well for his ability to work out differences with any world leader “who doesn’t like us very much.”

I don’t see that O. “walked away” with this debate. When the tired old points keep coming back (like “preconditions” and “the surge”) Obama needs to find a fresh angle of attack instead of canned comebacks. I’d like to see him dramatize the Republican attitude in DC that we need to get rid of, and the only way to do that is flush the Republican White House completely. Attack the mindset that got us into this mess and present his ideas of a better mindset.

Obama misses opportunities to make an example of “wasteful” spending when he lets McCain get away with stuff like the planetarium remark. First, does McCain know that a planetarium IS just a huge overhead projector? Is a science museum something that has to be jettisoned from the budget so more oil companies and defense contractors can get more tax cuts?

He also missed bringing up Cheney’s “energy conservation is a personal virtue” remark when he had the perfect opening for it. This is more of the Republican mindset that must be wiped out entirely.

They both say fundamentally too much. I mean, er, they both say “fundamentally” too much. I’d like to hear Obama say “but” less. Keep the points strong; instead of “but I will do this…” just say “And I intend to do this…”

It never sounds like either of them are “thinking on their feet.” When Obama makes a point to comeback at McCain about something, it still feels scripted and kind of passionless.

Security and spirituality are key for next debate. I’d like to see Obama make strong, unequivocal statements on both. Then, if the questions persist in the next newscycle, he can say to McCain or Palin, “weren’t you watching or listening to me? I’ve answered this, yet apparently you weren’t paying attention or you chose to dismiss it.” That would be sweet. I’m sick of the repeated slams that have been addressed over and over again, especially by Palin. (Who, by the way, should be on media shutout until she holds a press conference.)

I think a main winning point for Obama was McCain’s doddering gait across the stage. If he wasn’t such a power hungry lying scuzbucket, my friends, I’d feel sorry for the old coot.

Posted by Paul Stravinsky | Report as abusive

I choose OBAMA

McCain was saying way too much “I THINK” and also talking too much about the “PAST”

we do not need to think the past, thats where got us right where we are today. WE MUST think of the future, and McCain to me doesn’t have a future vision.

Posted by e | Report as abusive

Now, we’re told the rich paid more taxes because they made a greater share of the money. That’s true. “The top 1% earned 22% of all reported income, but they also paid a share of taxes not far from double their share of income.” In other words, the tax code’s already steeply progressive. Yes, even at 35, 36%. And what this proves is the old adage that when you lower taxes, you get increased revenue. Listen to these numbers. “In 1990, the richest 1% were 14% of the nation’s income. They paid 25% of all taxes. In 2000, they paid 37%. In 2005, they paid 39%; and 2006, 40%.” So since 1990, the rich, top 1%, richest 1% have paid from 25% in 1990 to 40% in 2006 of all income taxes. The richest 5% in 1990 paid 44%. In 2000, they paid 56%; in 2005, paid 60%. The top 10% now pay 71%. But the big number is the top 50% are paying 97.1% of all taxes.

“It proves the way to soak the rich is with lower tax rates, and the IRS data from last week provide more powerful validation of that proposition. But, nevertheless, the Democrats and Obama continue to say that these tax cuts have been a giveaway to the rich and it’s a figment of their imagination. Taxes paid by millionaire households more than doubled to $274 billion in 2006, from $136 billion in 2003.” What happened in 2003? We rolled back the Clinton tax increases! “No president has ever plied more money from the rich than George W. Bush did with his 2003 tax cuts. These tax payments from the rich explain the very rapid reduction in the budget deficit to 1.9% of GDP in 2006 when it was 3.5% in 2003.”

Posted by TJ | Report as abusive

They both the same, it’s not much of choice,….Ron Paul is my president…

Posted by A.D | Report as abusive

These pollsters must be drinking …… EVERY poll has Obama up by 3-5 times their 2 point difference survey. New Hampshire 12 points, Pennsyvania 11 and Mich. and Minn. already in the bag, get real, Find another job guys …… Or is Rueter’s another FOX network/website???

MCCAIN WON.

He has been in the darkest, most hopeless hours and I think that it will be nothing compared to what lies ahead of us.

I hope America isn’t stupid enough to vote for an elitist like Obama with no experience, no track record, and no record of bipartisanship. If Obama wins this country will be torn apart.

Posted by jermaine | Report as abusive

Hey Reuters readers- there is actually objective news coming out of CNN…
Lou Dobbs: Wall Street Bailout Fraud – Acorn Under Investigation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ2CBL19v B4

WHY WASN\’T THIS BROUGHT UP IN THE DEBATES???????

Posted by Bob Jones | Report as abusive

Obama won this debate hands down. The choice is simple if you want change vote Obama. If you want to continue on the course that we are on vote Mccain. Not much else to discuss or debate.

Posted by Eddie Fullbright | Report as abusive

Both McCain and Obama looked very even during the debate. I thought both of them weren’t extremely interesting; the debate brought up few new issues. Both seemed arrogant on time constraints and it looked like they were bickering. Hopefully the Town Hall won’t be tried again, as Tom Brokaw was having a fit (rightfully so) with the candidates not following the rules.

If I had to pick a winner, it would probably be Obama by a hair. But still, that’s just barely. It was very mediocre.

Posted by Sean | Report as abusive

Good Forum to see the candidates in action. Obama has a calmness and is able to clearly articulate the issues. McCain showed his age with his repetitions,forgetfulness,
and thinking his “schmoozing” would gather votes. CEOs are not sharing the burdens of society , but walking away with stacks of unearned money. Well the chickens have come back to roost, something will to be done about the CEOs.

Obama was simplistic and stupid as usual.
McCain was boring as usual

Posted by Simon | Report as abusive

I was watching the debate with my 12 year old. I think kids can sometimes intuit things that grown-ups tend to ignore. First of all, every time John McCain said “my friends,” the kid’s response was “EWWW! creepy” (We’ve always taught him to be wary of strangers who try to buddy up to you.) Then when McCain mentioned something about the 4 corners of the world, the kid response was “Oh my gosh! He still thinks the world is flat!” I tend to agree with him on both counts.

Posted by tired of it | Report as abusive

Obama won the debate last night. McCain has become too desperate and continued to attack as usual.

Posted by NeedChange | Report as abusive

Obama won! Hands down. No contest. Crystal clear.

Posted by Vivian | Report as abusive

I’m a teenager who’s very conservative, and while I support McCain, I’d have to say that Obama won last night’s debate. I noticed that both tended to beat around the bush and not directly answer the question. They would sometimes go off on random tangents that had nothing to do with a given question. But when that happened, I think Obama did a better job of redirecting himself. Both candidates also tended to repeat themselves a lot. One thing that bugged the crud out of me about McCain, is that whenever he talked, his eyes flutter and he ends of blinking too much. Regardless, I’m still in favor of McCain. However, it doesn’t matter who lands in the White house in a couple of weeks, we Americans are still going to be living in a nightmare. One other note about Obama. He keeps saying he’s going to bring “change.” COME ON!!! Is that not something that a fifth grader might say to be elected as ASB president at school? During the Vice Presidential Debate, Biden and Palin were asked “What promises have you made that you won’t be able to keep”? Palin basically said that they hadn’t made any promises they couldn’t keep, which IS TRUE. McCain and Palin simply haven’t made any promises nor said specifically (if not at all) what they’re going to change. Biden was upfront and admitted that they had made some promises along the way that they probably won’t be able to keep. Of course, no one caught that because everyone was too doggone focused on how “passionate” he was when he spoke. How “emotional” he got at times during the debate. Where the heck did they (the media) pull that? He was talking about an accident several years ago that involved two of his sons, I think it was, and his wife. He paused at one point to catch his breath and swallow before continuing on, and what does the media do? They blow that WAY out of porportion and somewhere out of that they pull the “look how passionate he is” junk on us. Good Grief! Give me a cotton-picking break!

Palin has less experience than Obama. McCain is 72 years old and the odds are good that Palin could be the next President of the USA. Why doesn’t that scare everyone out of their minds? I just don’t get it. Obama is the clear choice. Obama won the debate and I really hope he wins the election.

Posted by Greg | Report as abusive

Obama won. Reading some of these posts makes me realize just how clueless and prejudiced some people are. McCain, great man, but old-thinking, archaic conservativism is done.

Posted by Giovanna | Report as abusive

The debate was truly a contest between somebody who thinks because he served in the military he now has the experience and insight to lead this nation…All I can say if he ever gets elected God help us all… Obama clearly won

Posted by john true | Report as abusive

As someone who resides in Chicago and has seen firsthand the “projector” McCain lauded about, I would say that was one of the better projects that recieved cash in Chicago.

The Adler Planetarium is visited by hundreds of schools yearly. I remember going myself as a young child, and being amazed at our wonderful world.

The “projector” used in the planetarium was old and was beginning to have service issues repeatedly. The money spent to update the equipment and give our children the gift of knowledge associated with that project, was wisely spent and to watch McCain attack that makes me wonder who he really is working for.

I am very thankful that Mr. Obama helped to fund that project and I am sure my son will appreciate it as well when he gets to go experience it firsthand.

Posted by Dave | Report as abusive

The grant of federal funds for the planetarium is perfect proof of Obama’s uncontrollable knee-jerk reaction to ask the feds for taxpayer’s money went the state can get the job done on their own.

Minneapolis also wanted to enhance it’s planetarium but requested $24,000,000 from it’s own state coffers and $4,000,000 from private benefactors. For a lousy $3,000,000 Obama figured that would be a burden on the people of Chicago and asked the feds to kick in.

The devil is in the details. This guy is the biggest financial zero I have seen since my father first introduced me to presidential politics on 1960.

The axion is “Follow the Money”. You want to know who Obama really is ask this question: “Who is asking for themoney?” This chump held his hand out for $1,000,000 a day for every day he was in the Senate.

Mark down this date. Circle it on your calendar. If Obama gets in, and implements his
tax plans unemployment will soar and no matter what the bailout people are saying this country will be teetering on the brink of the financial abyss. As Hoover discovered never raise taxes on anyone when the economy is in trouble. If you have to ask why, there’sno point in even answering the question.

Posted by Greg Marlowe | Report as abusive

“Yes or no is the only answer for this next question” Obama goes on for 2 minutes never picking one.

Yes… obama wins… for dodging every single question like a true politician… yes real “Change” from the status quo.

Posted by Ben | Report as abusive

While I admit the Obama is not as experienced as John MaCain, neither is the current president. I respect John MaCain for his military experiences but he is just a tired OLD man and he needs to retire.

Posted by Walt | Report as abusive

Obama of course, as expected!

Posted by FN | Report as abusive

John Sidney McCain? What a joke of a name. I can’t follow Sidney anywhere. Sidney looked haggard and for all the hype about town hall meetings, Sidney looked like a school girl on the playground.

No way no how on Sidney. I’m voting for Obama, not Sidney!

Posted by amanda | Report as abusive

Both my wife and I thought it was hillarious when McCain said he’d pursue Bin Laden or someone to the “4 corners of the earth”.
Now he finally admits to believing the earth is flat. ;-)

Posted by mike | Report as abusive

McCain’s plan for the economy, health and security were what we need now. He did not choose to put a priority on the issues and just said we as americans can get all 3 done at the same time with the right people. His plan for Health will keep companies honest by giving us a choice on who handles our issues. Creating jobs something that we really need can be done by us becoming energy independant from countries who don’t like us anyway. Did Obama really say he would go into Pakistan to get Bin liden with or without their help. How does he plan on doing that? Pull the troops from Iraq like he promised and put them into another country. If we do not start listening to other sources of information that are non partisan. IE: FOX then he is going to steal the votes and win. He has more money because he will not devulge his campaign resources. WHY?? ACCorn HUM. WE need a real leader now not one who pretends to be one or wishes he was one. SOmeone who has been there and knows how to get us back on track. I will feel alot safer if McCain is elected. If Obama is,I am seriously thinking of moving to Alaska. Maybe I can join Todd and sequester Alaska away from the US.

Posted by june | Report as abusive

The question should not be who won but who lost.

The answer to that is really quite simple, America has lost. If these two are the best the country has to offer we are in deep trouble.

They are both professioanl panderers. They both are promising everyone everything. Niether has a clue on what to do about anything.

I’ll be writing in Mitt Romney.

Posted by Steve | Report as abusive

Seems like it depended upon the side you were looking at, whether McCain or Obama won. I guess that puts McCain to continue carrying on the same old failed Bush policies. I do not think either candidate will be able to clean up the Bush mess that has been created. For me my vote is for Obama as he has a timetable for withdrawing from Iraq, which still is an important issue for me.

Posted by Fred Belz | Report as abusive

To me leadership was the big issue. Who could show teh skills of being the better manager and decision maker under stress.
The main turning point for me was that McCain could not and would not prioritize his agenda items. To him everything was number one. That’s a sign of a bad manager. Just because you assign priorities doesn’t mean you can do them all at the same time, but without knowing which takes priority, you’re out of control.
Obama had no problem answering the question.

The same issue was evident on cutting expenditures. Across the board simply will not due. It’s actually OK to say you’re still considering which items will need to be cut, based on how things shake out in these crazy times. Obama didn’t go into much detail about what he’d cut, but time was limited and he did say it would be targeted depending on where it had the most effect or was the fairest.

Who won? Obama, by a mile.

Posted by mike | Report as abusive

Wait did I read that correctly?
Someone suggesting FOX news was un-biased???

You’re kidding right?