Tales from the Trail

Last presidential debate ends, will the spread narrow?

October 16, 2008

The third and final presidential debate is over after intense sparring between Republican hopeful John McCain and rtx9lnj.jpgDemocratic contender Barack Obama.

Have voters heard enough from the two candidates? McCain has been falling behind in recent polls, was he able to close the gap or was Obama able to solidify his lead?

Click here for more Reuters 2008 campaign coverage

- Photo credit: Reuters/Shannon Stapleton

Comments
191 comments so far | RSS Comments RSS

The advertisers won because the got a little more cheap content on which to pin them pathetic messages…

Posted by Anonymous Coward | Report as abusive

I thought Obama came across more Presidential. Obamas temperament makes me far more comfortable. I feel like McCain is sincere but that he is so contemptuous of Obama that he can’t think of anything but the differences between the two.

McCain didn’t blow me away tonight and I really think he needed to badly. I’m voting for Obama, its the more sensible and responsible vote in my mind.

Obama won the debate by far by keeping his calm. He was very Presidential. I was afraid for a while that McCain would have a stroke with all of the mugging, snorting and eye rolling he performed. He was embarrassing. How in the world will McCain ever deal with foreign leaders with the demeanor he presents?

Obama’s comments seemed to have content and he sounded very much like a president. McCain seemed to just be a critic, and not much content. Most of what he said seemed to be a bit of a streach on reality.

Posted by Bill Wheeler | Report as abusive

I feel that Barack Obama once again showed leadership we badly need. I find the McCain-Palin ticket scary.

Posted by Rebecca Stover | Report as abusive

McCain Committed suicide. After they discussed the personal attacks he went on the personal attack. The people have told him with a double digit lead for Obama to stop. He didn’t listen. Game. Point. Match. Obama. Hail to the Chief.

Posted by Stephen Manion | Report as abusive

Senator McCain seemed so angry and condescending. He certainly did not display that Presidential character as Senator Obama did. Senator McCain appeared to be on the verge of loosing his cool. His short temper and rash behavior is unbecoming of the leader of the free world.

Posted by Jahzee | Report as abusive

Obama won this debate, McCain was more of the same negatives finger pointing but not clear answers on how he is going to help this Nation. McCain has no clue!

Posted by Rafael | Report as abusive

It’s simple – Obama maintained his cool so he maintains or solidifies his lead and McCain falls further behind. The man is unflapable.

Posted by Pete Turner | Report as abusive

I thought John McCain looked like a frustrated, angry man whose irritation was was diminished only by his interjection of of his plea that is is the victim…

Posted by Pat Ryan | Report as abusive

McCain won the debate.

He presented his ideas in a clear and clean manner.
He pin pointed the soft spots of Obama:
– Increase spending;
– Raise taxes – that is something that he can’t avoid if his is to fulfill his promises;
– Dictate – with the federal government messing up in people’s lives! – where to send children to school, or to which medical doctor to see or hospital to attend!!

McCain won, and I do hope he wins the Election.

Posted by MP | Report as abusive

Obama is looking out for me. That’s all that matters. He won.

Posted by Frank | Report as abusive

McCain sounded desperate and at times incoherent, almost scary. He was only concerned about attacking Obama viciously on every single issue while saying he was against the hate campaign he has unleashed.

Obama was focused on the issues, calm and in control. We can disagree as much as we want on the politics, but he has a greater ability to calmly convey his message under pressure and in favor of his opponent.

Posted by looseduke | Report as abusive

After three debates it is clear that Obama is the better candidate regardless of policy. If I have to be honest he is more likeable and stable. I am voting Obama after tonight.

Posted by Eric | Report as abusive

While I think this was McCain’s best performance, when it came to substance, intellect, and clear plans, Obama was the winner. McCain was snarky and spiteful. He continues to repeat the same lines and lies we’ve heard before. In no way do I think this was a game changer. Obama will continue to increase his lead over McCain post debate.

Obama won the debate by a landside. He remains cool and calm, a very necessary trait for a world leader. McCain is very erratic and hot tempered and he had difficulty in staying in place for an hour and half. One of the most important questions was the comparison between Biden and Palin as second in command. Ouch!

Obama was consistently articulate and presidential in demeanor. Alot of what he said was unfounded or outright nonsense (he supports nuclear energy, offshore drilling for oil, free trade, clean coal etc.) but McCain never really called him on it. McCain continued his losing strategy; wanting to talk about all he has done in the past without really being able to clearly explain the logic or reasoning behind his positions and not wanting to attack Obama over his past failings (like his 20 year association with Rev. Wright). It was a inadequate performance that will tilt the polls more heavily in Obama’s favor and, without a doubt cement his election as the next President of the U.S.

Posted by Rich | Report as abusive

John McCain clearly won this debate. Obama had a tough time answering the questions that were proposed. This is the same thing the Dems accused Palin of doing in the VP debate. It will be interesting to see the bias that spews forth from the left after this final debate.

Posted by Jonathan | Report as abusive

I am Swiss, coming from a country which is kind of conservative and proud of its banking system and strong economy… I am really interested why still almost half of the American people would vote for McCain since the GOP with president Bush failed in all issues of their jobs…. Can someone explain me who this can happen?

As a lifelong Republican, I am crushed by the past eight years. Thank goodness for Obama. America is fighting for its survival and I pray we will regain our status not as a warmongering country, but as a peacekeeping world
partner.

McCain seemed tense to people because his body is so broken up from his sacrifice in service to this country. He attacked Obama because Obama needs to be feared. His policies would damage this economy more than it is already. The need to shrink government is more clear than ever. Obama wants to grow the Government further. Anyone who can’t see that isn’t paying attention and just following suit with the lock step Democrates who by the way are in the majority as we speak.

Posted by Jonathan | Report as abusive

Obama won hands down. John McCain is clutching at straws, while Obama is focusing on issues of substance.

Obama’s economic policies, and his grasp of economic fundamentals, is far superior to John McCains. Even The Economist supports Obama over McCain.

McCain is too old to run this country for 4 years, and his VP nominee is shallow & inexperienced. Her work with autism is commendable, but in no way qualifies her as a VP.

Lets put an end to this, elect Obama and get on with fixing the mess that the Republicans have left us with!

Posted by Harry | Report as abusive

These debates are ridiculous. This one was “moderated” by CBS, home of Dan Blather if I recollect. I’ve never seen such a lack of objectivity in a presidential election before. Everyone makes the point that McCain doesn’t seem “Presidential” because he acts “irrational/scary”. What I saw was a perfectly normal reaction from an elderly and seasoned politician. Whereas with Obama I just saw a fancy pants lawyer with a lot of money and speech grooming giving a well rehearsed response to everything… I feel McCain won though, if for no other reason because he made it subtly clear that he’s a victim of ageism and partisan media analysis.

Posted by John | Report as abusive

mccain totally won this debate.

Obama seemed confused, althought he was very calm he had nothing intelligent to say except keep bringing bush into the conversation. This is so pathetic.

Posted by Dan | Report as abusive

Obama is a better thinker, not to bash but what is McCain going to be like in 3 years would you take him seriously across a negotiation table?

Posted by reinspiredvoter | Report as abusive

It appears that McCain gained no ground, which should mean that Barack Obama is the next President of the United States.

While McCain’s performance was much better then the previous two,obama still appeared to be more presidental in his demeanor.McCain did show some urgency and aggresiveness but more with being negative against obama instead of trying to stick to the issues more. his campaign stated last week he would be presenting a new economic policy and tonite would’ve been a good night to unveil that but it was the same ol stuff. although some of obama’s policies are flawed his ticket with Joe Bidden make them the much better team. Obama had a chance to really stick it to palin and point out her MANY flaws for being a Vp candidate but didn’t knowing the public now knows she is a fraud. obama is clearly approaching the end zone, but we’ll see how race plays a role and exactly how many things go wrong come election day. independent turned obama vote as of tonite.

Posted by syed rizvi | Report as abusive

Obama was calm, cool and collected and talked about helping the middle class. John McCain, on the other hand, seemed angry, petty and just rude. And did John McCain really suggest that because Sarah Palin has a ‘tough husband”, that she is qualified to be President? I am ready to vote now.

Posted by Diana | Report as abusive

I have an example here of how FOX News distorts information that was said on the debate by Senator Obama. READ IT ALL AND SEE IF YOU CAN RECOGNIZE HOW FOX DISTORTS INFORMATION… I will show FOX’s report, then the actual transcript of the debate from CNN.(Remember,FOX could change the information on it’s site at any time!):

FOX’s Report: Obama also criticized McCain for drawing attention over the past two weeks to 1960s radical William Ayers and the low-income advocacy group ACORN, which is under investigation for voter fraud. Obama downplayed his ties to both, and said McCain’s focus on the issues “says more about your campaign than it says about me.”

CNN (Actual Transcript of Debate):
“Let me tell you who I associate with. On economic policy, I associate with Warren Buffett and former Fed Chairman Paul Volcker. If I’m interested in figuring out my foreign policy, I associate myself with my running mate, Joe Biden or with Dick Lugar, the Republican ranking member on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, or General Jim Jones, the former supreme allied commander of NATO.”

“Those are the people, Democrats and Republicans, who have shaped my ideas and who will be surrounding me in the White House. And I think the fact that this has become such an important part of your campaign, Sen. McCain, says more about your campaign than it says about me.”

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10/15/ mccain-aims-comeback-final-presidential- debate/

Posted by Jason Gray | Report as abusive

Obama won easily. Obama looked presidential while McCain looked like an angry Bilbo Baggins.

Posted by kman | Report as abusive

Why is Joe the Plumber the center of attention? joe the plumber is thinking of buying a business in the middle of a recession! Hes not worried about his house being foreclosed! Avrage american makes 40K a year, Joe makes more than 250K, Lets get real! This election is about the average american not the rich Joe Plumber! Obama represents the average american, McCain is out of touch!
-Mr. America

Posted by Mr. America | Report as abusive

To MP are you on acid. Or are you in the top 5% of people who would get the increase taxes. Do you think McCain can really turn everything around without spending any money. Not everything can just be reformed. Are you kidding me? He would definitely be spending money. There was a study done. America is one of the only countries in the world that consistantly votes for a president (republican)that is not to the benefit of the working class man. Look at the past. If you vote for McCain that’s all your going to get.

Posted by Sam | Report as abusive

ACORN and similar organizations were formed by people out of the SDS and Black Power movements and the extreme left of the labor movement. Obama has done much, much more than the “only thing” comment — he covered up and lied. Honest and effective fact checking slays Obama (which is why the media will not do it).

Barack Obama was mentored by communist and sex pervert, Frank Marshall Davis, from ages 10-18.

Ayers, Dohrn, Alice Palmer, the New Party, Wright, Rasheid Khalidi, Mazen Asbahi, Khalid al Monsour, Frances Fox Piven, Saul Alinsky…. all Marxist a/o Islamist figures formative in presenting America with Barack Obama.

And one of the latest, the Marxist/pro-Islamist despot of Kenya, for whom Obama campaigned on the taxpayer’s dime: Raila Odinga.

The Marxist Messiah wants you.

I’m a life-long Democrat voting for McCain this time. O’Bama just doesn’t have the experience. Plus, McCain actually does the things I would expect a Democrat to do, and O’Bama said he would do, like public campaign financing. O’Bama promises so many things, but really doesn’t say how he’ll pay for them. Plus, I do see McCain’s point about not raising taxes on businesses. If you do, they just go overseas. Plus, I REALLY don’t like the disrespect of Palin by O’Bama supporters, makes me a little ashamed to be a Democrat. I thought we were the party that respected all people. I guess, Democrats give you respect unless you are a woman Governor of Alaska.

Posted by Elizabeth | Report as abusive

Obama clearly presented his platform in an assertive calm manor…making his argument over and over on what he plans to do for Americans over the next four years… McCain always picking for straws…the only time i thought this man had me interested was in cutting defense programs that do not work… The man does have intellect in this one area…but is extremely narrow on every other topic… wallowing in his scars and angry for not getting what he wants when he wants it… Thank God Obama is going to be a leader the world will admire…

Posted by Delores Costa | Report as abusive

Obama won. America lost.

Posted by blindsangamon | Report as abusive

It will narrow before the Election Day. McCain did better on the debate. I liked the clean air ideas along with health care initiaves.

Yes, I think it will narrow apart.

Obama definitely won this one by a landside. I’ve been a life long Republican and I can honestly say, I was embarrassed by and for McCain. He came across as nasty, mean, cantakerous, spiteful and just plain scary (like any second he was going to go Postal). He certainly did not come across as *Presidential*.

Posted by Jessica | Report as abusive

I was happy to see John McCain come out with some passion early, but when he claimed his campaign was not negative and then proceeded to throw Obama under the bus I was lost. This Karl Rove style of campaign is a complete disaster and Republicans must understand that America has had enough. Slander, fear and hatred are no way to send a message to your electorate. Not everyone wants a drag out, Rush Limbaugh style country. Moderates on both sides must take over this country from the extremist and return America to greatness!

Posted by edward | Report as abusive

Barack Obama clearly won. He had greater command of the issues, appeared presidential, and kept his cool. McCain sputtered and overused his key talking points (“Joe the plumber,” “spread the wealth”).

Posted by JB | Report as abusive

I don’t really approve of either candidate, but I do agree with Jon, Obama did come off as more presidential.
Overall, I was surprised with how often they laughed at each other’s comments. I even found myself laughing at some of the things that were said.
Also, I am deeply disappointed that McCain can’t seem to leave Bill Ayers out of things. As I remember, he was acquitted. And did I hear a jab at Clinton in there?
So we’re sticking to the issues, and not making personal attacks, but the Bills, both Ayers and Clinton, don’t count?
Don’t get me wrong, Obama isn’t infallible, far from, but I do notice alot more “straight talk” from the candidate without the words written on the side of his bus.

Posted by David | Report as abusive

John McCain’s “deer in the headlights” moment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNzsxTj0d nM

Funniest thing EVER!

Posted by robertonaol | Report as abusive

I think so.

I have allready voted for Obama in Ohio…

McCain will ruin social security
McCain will not stop Insur. Cos from Cherry Picking
McCain is not for the family as much as Obama; could it be that he is too rich from his wife’s inherited money from the Alcohol Industry & does not feel the pain.
I am out of work cause all the companys shut down> I have a college degree> McCain wants to educate me?

On & On & On; SOS…SOS…SOS

Posted by WC | Report as abusive

Wow, John. Feel rage often?

Posted by Dave Baggins | Report as abusive

Obama addressed each issue and provided real solutions. McCain’s only response sounds just like the typical Bush approach – more tax cuts for corporations and the wealthy will solve everything.

Obama was calm, strong and looked Presidential. McCain was angry, bitter, and rude. Obama looked like a true gentleman, while Mccain looked like an angry thug looking for a bar fight. McCain also looked much older and out of touch with his strange facial expressions and shaky hand gestures.

Posted by Ann | Report as abusive

Obama continues to show intelligence and demeanor, whilst McCain throws condescending tantrums. I don’t specifically dislike McCain, but as a former military man – he really should know a bit more about ‘keeping his bearing.’ Obama stood firm, yet respectful. He’s the leader, no doubt.

Posted by JoePlumber | Report as abusive

McCain talks nonsense with his ‘clever’ sound bites and disjointed logic. He’s sounding more like Palin everyday. Obama explains his position calmly and with conviction while McCain rants on and on making no sense with his ridiculous policies such as his healthcare fiasco. Yeah, you try to get a decent policy under his plan. And he neglects to state that a single person only get $2500 under his plan, the $5000 is for a family plan. I pay almost that much now with my employer,the federal government picking up twice that much of the tab.

Posted by Lysbeth Spence | Report as abusive

Could McCain possibly blink and fidget more? What’s the deal with this guy anyway? He looks so emotional and, well, erratic, that it’s no wonder his campaign is imploding in the final days.

Posted by Dane Traber | Report as abusive

Obama was a statesman. McCain, bless his heart, scared me a bit. I like McCain, but i think it is time to retire or relax a bit. I think that the presidency will destroy what is left of him. As for me and the country, McCain seemed struggling for air, was uncomfortable and defensive. Obama took a high road, a true diplomat. Obama clearly showed
leadership. Even McCain’s laugh seemed strained and honestly, a bit horrific and worn. Objectively, the debate was Obama’s win. I would have McCain learn relaxing techniques, but a bit late for that. This was a fellow american that got to McCain. I fear what North Korea, Russia, Syria etc. could do to him.

Obama clearly won the debate. He is a much more thoughtful, dignified presence. McCain is all over the place. He’s aggressive, demeaning and argumentative.

I have no doubt that Senator Obama will win on November 4.

The Republicans were saddled with a horrible choice with McCain. It should have been Romney.

Posted by Lizz | Report as abusive

McCain won. It is doubtful that people who back Obama will be swayed however. Democrats tend to be shallow thinkers and lovers of the big fable – communism.

Posted by daniel stiles | Report as abusive

I did not see the debate, but I was able to follow the full CNN live transcript on the internet, and even without watching the candidates, from the text, it was obvious of who would be a better presedent to take this country forward! OBAMA

Posted by Kris | Report as abusive

Hey, Jessica, “lifelong republican,” (you guys seem to be everywhere – is that part of Mr. Axelrod’s astroturfing method at work?) how is it that when Obama speaks the words sound real, uhhhhh, uuuuum, nice uuuuh, uuuuh, and all, but after he’s done, you don’t really have any idea what he said?

McCain has more executive experience in his pinky finger than The Obamessiah has in his entire, uuuuuuh, uuuuuummmmm, body.

Posted by TheReSa | Report as abusive

Obama clearly won my vote. McCain appeared to be grimacing or leering much of the time. McCain also was unable to stay on point, He meandered around the topics and his facial theatrics seemed to say this is not a debate but a gurning contest and I came to win!

Posted by ellen | Report as abusive

sorry John, you got bug eyed too many times, like a deer in the head lights, and that lump in your cheek? is that a mind control chip from Vietnam? Sorry John-Boy Obama whipped your

Posted by Will 1547 | Report as abusive

I thought was about even in their responses.However,McCain’s
facial expressions and tone of his voice were from an angree man.
My concern is if he were to become President it will be my way or the highway.That can be scary.My other concern is that it has been reported that he has a”shortfuse”.

McCain won it because he’s been a target of ageism and blatantly partisan media… He gets my sympathy vote. I’m tired of people saying he doesn’t “present himself” well. Wouldn’t you be cranky if you constantly were under severe scrutiny, but your opponent isn’t? I mean, Obama’s okay if you don’t look into his campaign financing issues… heck check this out the recent “Northland Couple Warns of Political Credit Card Fraud” article somewhere. It explains it Obama’s campaign financing in one simple example. As for me I explain it with one word… FRAUD.

Posted by John | Report as abusive

Yep, Obama won again. I was kind of frustrated with the amount of rhetoric between takes. McCain needed to focus more on the issues while maintaining a certain level of discretion. McCain’s responses were lame to say the least. I will give credit to how he defended his record. It was informative and more concise that I expected but on the other hand His reactions were very revealing. It was embarrassing. Obama wasn’t much better but he did do what he needed to do. There was a bunch of rhetoric but he defended himself on pretty much every point of contention. He did a better job than I expected. He kept the same cool as the previous debates.

In the end, McCain defended his voting record but didn’t defend the issues that he flies a banner for. Obama defended himself from a lot of attacks effectively. While he could’ve done a better job with stating the issues, he did better than McCain. Obama was the professional in the debate.

Posted by David | Report as abusive

McCains big idea tax health insurance. That says it all. Vote Obama for your Momma

Posted by Sam | Report as abusive

McCain looked and sounded neurotic! he might be a loose canon in office. Obama looked and sounded tired. you
have to be “nuts” to run for President!

Posted by m.r. | Report as abusive

If you ask me, Joe the Plumber won.

But, nevertheless, McCain who I voted for to the senate in our state, came off very angry, bitter and spiteful. did anyone else see him rolling his eyes in frustration?

Posted by andy | Report as abusive

Interesting. Many calm rational well thought out statements citing issues saying that Obama won. A few shrill, angry, untruthful personal attacks that say McCain won. McCain made his bed. Now he’s lying in it. He’s won the support of the people to whom he appealed and lost the presidency.

Posted by Stephen Manion | Report as abusive

Senator Obama was cool and collected in the face of Senator McCain’s intimidation and aggression. He was focused on highlighting his plans for America. McCain killed himself by going all out to pick a fight with Obama. McCain obviously has some rehearsed lines on the economy that he kept repeating in-between his aggressions. Obama is our next President. He has my vote. I am fully persuaded about Obama!!

Posted by AYO ABRAHAM | Report as abusive

Elizabeth: I am distressed that nearly half my country thinks McCann is the better option! We are in denial of our economic challenges ahead and Obama raising taxes to level-set lack of fiscal responsibility will be the least of our worries! Palin is a wonderful speaker; juggler of work/life balance (we think); confident achiever in anything she will tackle. President of the U.S.???!!! Obama is a visionary and capable of leading change — but my real fear surrounds those of us who aren’t “getting it.” Cheers to the audacity of hope/Obama!

Posted by EZ | Report as abusive

McCain won the debate. I liked the health care plans and the greenhouse effects. I’m a long-time Republican, and I value our party’s morals. Obama did pretty good, but not as McCain.

I have to admit that McCain was a little bit stronger in the first few minutes, but Obama has regained control of the debate almost immediately. McCain has brought up Obama’s eloquence as a negative, but in fact the eloquence is one of most important attributes of a good politician. Interesting was an issue of the health care. Obama picked perfectly on two issues with McCain’s plan, if one can call it a plan. $5,000 is not going to buy anyone a decent health care plan (perhaps one day in the hospital). Obama’s estimates of $12,000 is much closer to the reality. I agree completely with a mess that it would create with large companies, hungry for quick profits, picking on this loop-hole and dumping mediocre coverage that people already have and can barely afford as is. McCain responses were an empty rhetoric. Bbringing up “Joe the plumber” stunt up was a total fiasco.
MacCain is not only Bush, but he is no Reagan either and his actor’s skill are rather lousy, that’s why he “flat lined” on that one. The description of a rookie VP candidate, Palin, to be a Washington game changer was bluntly idiotic. Obama’s choice of Biden was very wise. Bringing in an “old dog” of politics to the game bridges the gap of his limited experience. He did not shy away from admitting that he will depend on his advise on the foreign issues. The tax issue? Show me one middle class hard working American and even a small business owner making $250,000 taxable (note the word: taxable) income. I know of relatively large corporations claiming less income then that, after they were done filling all the loopholes in the US tax law. The McCain’s comment on 11% business profit taxation base in Ireland is also misrepresented and out of context. EU (not only Ireland) requires business owners to give hefty contribution to the pension plans, and other social benefits, first year 5 weeks vacations, not mentioning job security guaranties that in the economical downturn, is plainly disastrous. The other issue is a VAT taxation on capitalized equipment, which US companies never heard of.

Posted by Wes Surowka | Report as abusive

Obama was magnificent tonight. McCain seemed as though he was going to lose his temper and Obama remained calm and presidential. Obama was born to lead!

Every election since late 80s I had a clear choice.
This time none of the choices feel right. I would
like to skip this election but there are so many
local issues that I need to vote on. I will have to
write in something for the presidential choice.

Posted by nochoice | Report as abusive

for any intelligent American, there is no doubt that McCain clearly lost the debated. he does not have anything new to offer apart from pres. bush policies of the last eight years. unlike the republicans, the democrats always represent the American majority and not the only few who are wealth. go Obama go

Posted by kasera | Report as abusive

Morals huh, besides abortion name a difference betwwen the two candidates in morals. Besides isn’t that why we live in America because we get to choose our morals? McCain lets stay in the war. Since when did God condone war.

Posted by Sam | Report as abusive

McCain is clearly the more knowledgeable candidate. To me the choice is between true experienced leadership and a guy who knows how to speak well and look good for a camera. It’s obvious John McCain knows what he is talking about and can actually get things done for America.

Posted by Carol Wyatt | Report as abusive

Obama WON. Although both candidates refused to stay on point and answer Bob’s questions, Obama remained more composed, calm and cool while McCain could not contain his disdain and utter contempt for his opponent. His body language did not play well into the prize fighter strategy of the McCain camp who have been training their candidate to attack, attack, attack like a fearless Kamikaze. I’m more convinced each day that John is privately an ideological hot head behind closed doors no different than Bush Jr. Although both candidates were not 100% truthful with their answers, I felt that Barack with his Law credentials was more equipped to retain information and communicate effectively to his audience while McCain relied on memorized tag lines. I respect McCain for his passion and heroism however I don’t think he thinks like a CEO, more like a battalion leader. Country first, economy, education, healthcare, human rights, and energy second. His timeline for energy independence from OPEC and Venezuela was not believable to me.

Posted by Tom I | Report as abusive

Come on people!!! You think Obama won because he was more calm, are you people for real??? You should be upset if you cared about the United States which there are 57 in Obamas mind( there are 57 muslim states). Mc Cain should be upset and so should you. Our country is going to hell fast and only the ones who are responsible for it are not upset. They are trying to stay cool so what they are really up to goes unnoticed. If Obama gets this election( God Help Us) see how long you stay calm when you cant feed your family, or pay your taxes and you wont know this country in less than a year. You are being sold a bill of goods by a guy that was a lawyer. I would much rather go with someone you knows how to fight for something and against wrong. Obama is empty words. If you stand for nothing you will fall for anything and Obama is the anything here. GOD HELP US!

Posted by Angie | Report as abusive

good point

Posted by Sam | Report as abusive

Clearly Obama is my choice this election. Mcpain was well Mcpain, He is absolutely scary. He completely lost me with his choice of VP Palin was what broke the camel’s back. Go Obama!!!!

Posted by Paulobeside | Report as abusive

I think that John McCain is the best man for our country. I have watched all three debates. Every time Senator Obama is asked a direct question he never answers it. The underlining difference between the two men is that one wants to take us down the road to socialism and the other wants to restrain this direction help the US to get back to less government and less taxes. I really do feel that your associations do affect how your think and governs. No one can say if they spend quality time with someone that that person does not affect their way of thinking one way or the other. I am voting for Senator McCain because It trust him more.

Posted by Michael | Report as abusive

I can’t believe anyone with a 6th grade education or beyond can honestly look me in the face and say McCain won this debate. McCain just kept repeating some of the same lines/lies time after time. He cannot sit across the table from anyone and convince them with his irritable and angry demeanor. I mean honestly people, this guy is SCARRY and the person he chose as his running mate is just a sign of his lack of judgement on really important issues and it also shows that he Truly DOESN’T PUT COUNTRY FIRST, but only his desire to win at all costs. Any woman who does’t see this as an insult to their intelligence and a cheap attempt to manipulate them, needs to have her head examined.

Posted by Lynn | Report as abusive

To Sam above you know less about your Bible than you do elections. God ordered war many, many times in the Bible. Condone war he ordered it for the protection of his people. He even said at times to leave nothing behind women, children or animals of there ememies to keep the spead of there ways from contaimating the Israels. So get your facts straight

Posted by Angie | Report as abusive

McCain gave his best performance of the 3 debates tonight. I believe he’ll win in a very tight election. No question race will be an issue in McCains favor when you’re in the voting booth. And it’s an established fact Republicans show up to vote at a higher ratio than Democrats.

Posted by bill gordon | Report as abusive

During the last 40 years democrats have been weak defenders of the USA. Because of the mistakes of the Bush administration, many Americans are about to overcompensate and make a terrible mistake electing a liberal, weak President. Obama will not be a defender of the Republic. He is intelligent, like Jimmy Carter, and just as weak. With a Democratic congress social programs will increase and the military will be reduced. Bad timing in today’s world.

Posted by John Adler | Report as abusive

The American voter won. We finally got to see the ‘real’ differences between the candidates.

It seems Obama won the debate. It seeems Obbama won the entire media campaign. Still, I wonder: will the Americans have the courage to go out on 4th of november and vote for an African- American? My bet is that they will not. Despite everything they say about how much better Obama is, at the end of the day, all middle class americans will vote for the White candidate. Unfortunately, Obama as a president is too bold of a step for them

Posted by moredread | Report as abusive

As an ex-republican, I feel McCain did better tonight then the last 2 debates. Overall though, Obama won the debate and my vote. Obama’s intentions appear to be clear and objective and I view him as one who can discern what is best for the highest good for most of the American people, as opposed to McCain’s interest in serving the highest good for a smaller group of the American people. If Senator McCain used the term pro-abortion one more time I was going to shut it off; pro-abortion is not the definition of pro-choice. I’m also grateful McCain didn’t insinuate that withdrawing from Iraq was throwing up the surrender flag so I honor him for that! But was offended by some of the spars that were thrown by McCain toward Obama as they are not relative to the issues of the ever-downward-spiral of America’s economic issues. By the way, it is important for America to also regain their world status as a team player versus this “we serve only ourselves” outlook. As we can see by our falling economy it is effecting other countries as well.

Posted by Meg | Report as abusive

Telling people Palin has a tough husband was like saying “don’t worry, all you men out there, if Sarah finds herself in the oval office, she’ll have a strong man to tell her what to do.” I would think women would be insulted.

Anyway, McCain’s a mess. He’s acting like a fly stuck between the window and the screen.

Posted by Niko the Farmer | Report as abusive

Obama won. If you pay more attention to the content of what these guys were telling, Mccain has no solid points. He just makes some broad points and says “PEOPLE KNOW MY RECORDS”. The problem is that I don’t know his record. Can he explain me what he will do for Healthcare, ecomomy, war, retirement plan etc. instead of always telling “see my record”.

Posted by Easygoing | Report as abusive

Obama won. It should be obvious. Anyone that still thinks Macain presents fresh ideas, sound wisdom, or true leadership qualities is kidding themselves.

Posted by Sam | Report as abusive

McCain won, in my book. But I am sick at heart that so much of the debate centered around how Americans will be taken care of, instead of how they can help themselves, their neighbors, and the country. I agree with Senator McCain, that Americas best days are ahead – - but not if Senator Obama’s furtherance of socialism prevails.

Posted by Marilyn Clark | Report as abusive

Oh, give me a break Marilyn. I’m so sick of the Republican talking point about “socialism” and Democrats who want government to take care of them. First of all, Republicans are not shy about having government take care of their rich cronies. Secondly, if government isn’t there to serve the people, then what the bejeebes is its purpose anyway?

Posted by Niko the Farmer | Report as abusive

I have to disagree about shrinking the government at the moment; what will replace it? Corporations? Corporations have not shown to an interest in the general good of the people. Their goal, the very reason for their existence is to extract money from the people, and only for a profit. Roosevelt might have said “Speak softly and carry a big stick” but as President, Roosevelt held the ideal that the Government should be the great arbiter of the conflicting economic forces in the Nation, especially between capital and labor, guaranteeing justice to each and dispensing favors to none.

Obviously the last 5 republican presidents have forgot that they are the steward of the people, not just his political and business interest people.

Posted by C.D.Walker | Report as abusive

McCain clearly demonstrated he could answer the questions while Obama responded in a calm manner he never really said anything other than we will look in to it. People need to look past the calm voice and into the substance. What is the most significant bill Obama has authored in the Senate?

Posted by Ned | Report as abusive

John McCain won hand down. He put Barack Hussein Obama on the defensive.

Posted by Herman | Report as abusive

Obama clearly won the debate. The problems facing our nation are deep, and the next President will absolutely have to have an even temperament in building consensus. In this format, more than in the prior two debates, it became painfully clear that Senator McCain lacks the temperament to accomplish such consensus building. His approach to the policy differences showed an obvious spirit of anger and contempt toward both Senator Obama and his views. This is the same polarizing style of the Bush administration in which you talk a good bipartisan game, but consistently refuse to find the middle ground. Then, when your policies fail, you demonize the other side and blame them for your own failures. Enough of the polarizing! We need a candidate capable of holding the center, and who doesn’t just say “country first” as a meaningless campaign slogan.

Posted by David | Report as abusive

McCain won he had the other guy on the ropes hail to the chief

Posted by Tom Reingruber | Report as abusive

In previous debates, and generally in America there has been great resintment aganst Saudi Arabia, granted 15 of the 19 hijackers were Saudi Arabians. My question is as a nation Saudi Arabia has since 9/11 stood hand in hand with America, It increased oil productions to meet American needs, it clearly has made hundreds of arrests regarding terrorism, it has shared information and inteligance and has even gone as far as staying silent on u.s and foreign issues that brought rage to the Saudi Public, why then do we still as Americans hate to give them money in exchange for oil?… why are we so filled with hate that we wouldnt want another nation to prosper?…it dosent seem just !

Posted by vince | Report as abusive

I think Mr. Obama did a much better job between the two. While I would very much have enjoyed hearing some specific ideas in regards to how to reform our economy, I did really like Mr. Obama’s comment about a $4000 tax credit for students preforming some sort of community service. Anyone from someone in our armed forces to americorps volunteers to ANYONE doing documented community service. I did this on my own in undergrad and it would have been quite helpful to be given aid for my education for the work I was already doing, and I’d like to believe it would push even more people to have a reason to get involved!

This was a real point. While I wish many more concrete examples would have been given, I feel Mr. Obama certainly put forth an attitude and plan that was trying whilst Mr. McCain only sputtered, got increasingly angry and repeatedly avoided anything to add substance to his points.

Posted by candace | Report as abusive

McCain keeps saying “Look at my record” because he doesn’t expect people to do so. Fortunately many have. Obama is, indeed, running against Bush. And Obama is winning.

Posted by Stephen Manion | Report as abusive

To Lynn who says McCain doesnt care about this country. Well he is the only canidate who has fought for this country at the risk of his life. Obama wouldnt get his hands dirty! McCain could have come home early from POW camp but choose to stay with his men till the end. Obama drops his friends in the first sign of trouble (his preacher, past assocs, ect.) And he will drop all you 8th grade grads who must have rode the short bus.

Posted by Angie | Report as abusive

Obama won. McCain is frightening, and even more so when you consider Palin as his vice-presidential selection.

Our country is in very troubled times, with two wars, a recession, poverty and homelessness that have not lessened even in the presence of “prosperity”. Obama is a leader, who with the hard work of Americans in and out of government, can help us get back on the right track and address these problems.

McCain is an angry, bitter old man who put his quest to be president ahead of the interests of his country.

Posted by Cathy Greer | Report as abusive

Obama once again bested McCain. McCain continues to come off uneven, temperamental, angry, and frustrated.

Posted by mtb memphis | Report as abusive

No one is telling you not to vote for this or that..but the fact is look before you leap…McCain still don’t get it, he is too angry, most words he says are full of fallacy’s.

Posted by Eddie Jacobs | Report as abusive

I think, beyond a shadow of a doubt Obama won this one. He had logical answers to most if not all of the questions asked of him and slander thrown at him by Mccain, as well as the superb body language of a person that is confident and ready to face a nation calmly and collectively with eyes focused on the path ahead. As for Mccain, he really let it go tonight with a lot of blinking, stammering, and just general shoddiness in his overall rhetoric and plan in anything asked or contested. 20 more days and we’ll see who America decides is best fit to lead and watch for the next 4 years.

Posted by Ryan Rice | Report as abusive

History in the making. Obama the new president of America

Posted by Kamesh Tenneti | Report as abusive

Obama is the best candidate for the american people. This was a better night for McCain but Obama won for sure.

Posted by Ali | Report as abusive

I’ll take my chances with Obama. Not only does he present a sensible, if imperfect, case, he presents it well. Clarity, confidence, and conviction. He may not be a statesman yet, but he looks to be well on his way. Good luck, sir.

Wow, doom and gloom from the Right on what happens if Obama takes the election. It reminds me of my neighbor in 1992 explaining that if Clinton was elected we would have “double digit inflation and record deficits.” If memory serves we ended his eight years in the black and with the economy humming.
Get over it. If the majority of this country will actually vote for a black man for President (still sadly questionable) he’ll win and the country will be better off for the change. You know what they say about stirring the pot to keep the scum from collecting at the top.

Posted by Jim | Report as abusive

Watched with about 10 friends in Chicago. General consensus was that this was definitely McCain’s most forceful appearance in the 3 debates, but he didn’t deliver any knockout and neither did Obama. Obama was cool and collected and more direct with his explanation of his positions. McCain relied a bit too much on Republican talking points, while Obama stuck more to the issues. McCain appeared agitated at times. Obama won by presenting himself as someone people could be comfortable with as President (versus a relatively nationally well-known McCain). This was Obama’s debate to lose and by not losing, he won.

Posted by JML | Report as abusive

Obama sounds good and promises the moon, but never explains how he is going to pay for all the grandiose ideas. Everybody loves the idea of free health care, free college education, and world class schools at every level. I believe it is irrational for Obama to still be promising all these things after voting for the $850 billion bail out, and in light of the current $10 trillion dollar deficit.

Evidently all the Democrats and most of the Independents can’t do math either. McCain has the courage to propose a spending freeze, which is the only rational thing to do in the present situation. Being rational apparently is not what the voters want right now. They want lofty rhetoric and grandiose dreams, and that’s just what they will get with Obama. Obama clearly knows all the right buttons to punch with voters – promise huge increases in spending and massive reductions in taxes. Hello!? Can nobody see that won’t work?

McCain answered all the questions succinctly and with solid examples. Obama gave round about answers and always evaded the tough questions, consistently returning to his mantra of spend-tax-spend some more. Obama clearly knows all the right buttons to punch with voters – promise huge increases in spending and massive reductions in taxes. Hello!? Can nobody see that won’t work?

Posted by Bill Clark | Report as abusive

Point #1: Angie above … Old Testament God did order war, but Jesus was absolutely a pacifist. So if your right if your Jewish and belive only in the Old Testament but your wrong if your Christian and believe in Jesus’ teachings.

Point #2: ‘Joe the Plumber’ is non-sense. As a small business owner and someone who contracts exclusively with small tech businesses; the majority of us actually pay our employees more then we pay ourselves. Why? 1) cause they are salaried and we aren’t, 2) because I’d rather re-invest that money into my business .. and the business can write-off many of the things I would otherwise paid for out of my pocket: my car, my new computer, my home office, my travel and food expenses, etc.

So Joe, if your paying yourself 250k+ a year and worried about Obama then 1) your either doing really really well or 2)you have a really really bad accountant.

Posted by Juls | Report as abusive

obama won, america won, the democrates won, this is not a one single won, this is a won for the next 20 years, because with this election the democrates will hopefully take over the white house with a huge win over the republicans that will leave them out for a long time.

Thank you barack obama!

A jew for obama!

Posted by a jew | Report as abusive

McCain did great! Obama sounds just like Clinton (Bill) same old “government is the answer” and guarantor of all we need…Can’t anyone see that national health care would cost a fortune and be as ineffecient as most other federal programs. What kind of cool-aid are people drinking? McCain is “what you see is what you get.” Better the devil I know than the one I don’t know.

Posted by Andrew Severson | Report as abusive

I felt that McCain brought more heat than light and Obama brought more light than heat. Obama’s responses reflected knowledge of the relevant issues and plans for addressing them. McCain’s responses frequently focused on complaining about and attacking Obama. Many of his answers came off as esentially extended sound-bites or campaign trail talking points. He failed to be definitive in his answers to many of the questions. However, the most damning thing about McCain is his choice of Sarah Palin as a running mate. I was for him when he ran against GWB, but he’s not the same man now.

Posted by Marge | Report as abusive

To Juls Iam Christian and if you remember Jesus threw the money changers out of the temple and overthrew thier table. He was not a pacifist. read Matt 10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth:I came notto send peace,but a sword

Posted by angie | Report as abusive

I find it interesting how the republicans seem to be using fear as a tactic I think americans are tired of the fear and prefer the message of hope that Obama has been speaking of in the debates. I was unsure but after 3 debates It seems I agree with obamas policies.

Palin was also a major factor in my decision.

Posted by gary | Report as abusive

i think the comments in this thread are more interesting than the debate. such intense divisiveness… it’s crazy that we all have this us vs. them mentality about republicans and democrats. seriously – america (which i love dearly and would give my life for) – is a totally schizophrenic nation.

end political parties, end the electoral college system, and let’s have our next president be the one who the majority thinks will do the best job.

either that, or we split into two separate nations, with south and the mountain west being one nation, and the coasts and the great lakes region being a separate nation.

Posted by doug | Report as abusive

Oama won the debate … little more need be said … now lets se if Americans think that intelligence and “Eloquence’ are disqualifiers for the office of President …. so it goes ….

Posted by Barrie O. Ward The Canadian Geezer | Report as abusive

Will the spread narrow? What does it matter?

Obama’s answers were simple and to the point. Even if you didn’t agree with some of them there was content you could actually grasp and discuss. McCain was all sarcasm smirk, and snark. Other than his loony health plan, I have no idea what he actually stands for, since he has yet to answer a question in one of these debates clearly. If he’s elected, I fear for this country.

Mccain looked bad, sounded bad, spoke bad, and made bad points.

Posted by Paler | Report as abusive

Go John McCain; I can’t even imagine a world where Obama would be President. I believe American spirit would cease to exist.

Posted by Shaun McCreedy | Report as abusive

Its been five years since I came to this country, has seen two presidential elections. I am not a republican or a democrat…..little changes in common man’s life, whether we have a republican or a democrat in the office.
Being an independent observer who can’t even vote, I find that Obama appears more intelligent, actually answers a question that is asked and not just attacks his opponent. Whereas McCain, didn’t really answer the questions that are asked, he is always more interested in attacking Obama and I still don’t know what he stands for.
Its hard to predict who would win the election but this election will make or break my beloved adopted nation, United States of America!

Posted by Sam | Report as abusive

I can’t help but wonder if any of these people who are supporting Obama have thought about what will happen if these big companies that we have invested in (I.R.A.’s, 401K’s, college funds, savings AND checking accounts, etc.) just decide that they cannot afford to do business in America anymore. We’ve already lost way too many companies (AND JOBS and TAXES)because the large companies have left for cheaper labor and less taxes. And unfortunately, the small businesses which Obama says will be protected from higher taxes, will not be able to compete with the larger companies who stick it out in the U.S.A. for employees without higher wages, health insurance, etc. As a small business owner, I will be faced with two choices – raise my rates or close my business!!! This is the same for EVERY BUSINESS – LARGE and SMALL. So we ALL raise our prices. The result – Americans may make an extra dollar or two an hour, BUT EVERYTHING we buy, EVERY service we use, EVERYTHING, we as consumers spend our money on, will cost more. THIS IS CALLED INFLATION!!!! INFLATION LIKE NONE OF US, YOUNG OR OLD, HAVE EVER SEEN!!! I am not rich!! I have worked two jobs most of my adult life. I employ approximately 65 full and part-time people. Because my employees aren’t “limited” by unions, I pay those who work hard and are willing to give 100% when they’re on the job, very well. Those who just come for a paycheck, don’t really give their best, and don’t follow work rules and ethics get minimum wage – they’re giving minimal effort, they get minimum wage.
I believe in the American Dream. I feel I have reached it. I came from a large, lower income family. More than half of my brothers and sisters went to, and completed, college. My parents couldn’t afford to pay for our education, but guess what? WE WORKED. We worked full time jobs in the summer and during school breaks (at miminimum wage), we worked part-time during the school year, we took out student loans! There was no such thing as “Spring Breaks” to Florida or Cancun.
Now I have three grown children of my own. They have all graduated, with honors, from college. I could have stretched my budget thin and paid their ways through college but guess what? THEY WORKED.
Beyond the basic needs (food, shelter, water, air, clothing, love) I don’t believe in entitlements. I share, I care, and I give as I can, but working hard, with enthusiasm and dedication, goes far in reaching dreams.
I am a million miles from perfect, but I do know that hard work pays off over time.
The problems with the economy and the world started way before Pres. Bush. Yes, he’s made some huge mistakes, but he is only a part of every decision that has been made on behalf of the people of the United States. What about the other 1/3? (Congress) Maybe we are ready to vote for a change of the “ruling” party there too???? They have either supported Bush or made a lot of HUGE mistakes there themselves.
I am personally tired of Obama’s excuses. He didn’t know that the racist, anti-white, anti-American, Rev. Wright was a radical? He attended the church “regularly” for 20 years and didn’t figure it out until the news broke on television and in the news? He is very intelligent, and I fear for all of us if he really thought it was okay!!!!
I ask all of you if YOU really heard any of the “sermons” delivered by Wright. THEY WERE NOT CHRISTIAN SERMONS!!!!
I ask you to really think hard, do you think it’s really possible to pull off all these ideas of Obamas? There are definitely people in the United States who make over $250,000, but not enough to pay for all (or even half) of his proposals. He reminds me of a seventh grader running for a class office. “If I’m elected, we’ll have an all day party, every Friday, and 2 Mondays each month. We’ll have dances 3 times a month. There will be no more detentions, for anything! Everybody can wear whatever they want to school. There will never be another parent-teacher conference, and grade cards are out!!!” This sounds all well and good to all of the kids, but first it’s not possible, and second, we don’t all agree that those things are the best for ANYBODY; even the kids who voted for this young “politician”. It SOUNDS good, but it isn’t.
I AM NOT A REPUBLICAN!!!! I vote for who I think is the best candidate in any and EVERY election! I vote for the person that I think can really accomplish what they promise. If it were McCain making these promises and Obama saying “tighten the belt” on government spending, my vote would be for Obama. No one person is an expert on the economy, the war, the world, health insurance, etc. That’s why they appoint cabinet members to be their “experts”. I think anyone who has done ANY real research would agree that Ayers, Wright, Raines (made over 100 million in “bonuses”, and contributed huge amounts to Obama, at the same time Fannie Mae plunged to near death) or the movie stars who can’t even keep their own marriages together, are necessarily who the American people deserve to be deciding the fate of the next generations to come. These are the people that Obama associates with and relies upon for funding. It cost over $28,000.00 PER PERSON to attend Barbra’s big fundraiser for Obama. I wasn’t able to attend – how about you?
WE ARE ALL “ENTITLED” TO OUR OWN VOTE. Thank God for that. I just urge everyone to do a little research before you cast your vote. Don’t listen to ANYONE (including me!) except Obama and McCain. Study up a little bit. Be objective to both candidates. This election is way to crucial to every one of us to just jump on the bandwagon. Obama is an incredible orator, but can he really accomplish what he promises, or is it a popularity contest. What changed Hillary’s mind? Was it a promise to wipe out her campaign debt? A cabinet appointment? She’s a Democrat to death? I DON’T REALLY KNOW!!! I’ve gone back and listened to some of her speeches before the primary, and she’s not singin the same song as she was before about Obama OR McKain. JUST VOTE WISELY FOR OUR COUNTRY.

- Posted by Shaun McCreedy

AMERICAN SPIRIT, CEASE TO EXIST?… WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING?….. WHAT AMERICAN SPIRIT, BOMB BOMB IRAN ?…OR BOMB BOMB BOMB EVERYONE?

MCCAIN = WAR
MCCAIN IS NO MAVRICK, MAVRICKS DONT GET SHOT DOWN THAT MUCH!

Posted by vince | Report as abusive

McCain has the record and experience to lead this nation. Obama is a smooth talker with two terms as a senator under his belt. This nation is prepared to vote for a man who has done nothing more than make painfully vague speeches about “Hope” and “Change”.

In these times of global economic turmoil and strife, America needs a leader who has world experience and who would do everything in his/her power to keep this country the great nation that it is. McCain has earned this position through and through and is the TRUE agent of change. Unfortunately America is more wrapped up in the soon-to-be-abandoned promises, the buzz and celebrity that is Obama to make a sane and intelligent choice. Sad.

Posted by Joe | Report as abusive

To McCain, you should of spoke about the pharmaceutical companies. They make this one drug called Valiums. You should check em out. No seriously, solid and stable is a requirement for the next President this time. McCain-Palin ticket seems very risky and scary right now

Posted by George | Report as abusive

Hey, I know… let’s give Joe the Plumber the overhead projector! I’m voting for the calm, articulate, focused, balanced and sincere Obama, the guy with some real ideas, and it’s not even close. Thought McCain was going to blow an apoplectic gasket with all that sputtering, rambling and contorted grimacing and eye-rolling. Embarrassing.

Posted by slh | Report as abusive

I have voted Republican in the last 4 elections prior to Bush-Kerry 04′ when I just couldn’t bring myself to vote for one.

Who is talking about Communism and Marxism? All of you super right winger fascists… Read Richard Marx – According to Marx – The United States is right where we should be in our evolution of government on its way to socialism – its funny how the “conservatives” are the ones going right on schedule with the bailout and Republican ideology has led to this, or how the Republicans are doing exactly what Osama Bin Laden originally hoped we would do after 9/11. It is you blind faith Republicans that let FoxNews dominate your viewpoints that have ruined the once proud GOP and ruined the county.

I am a fiscal conservative Republican, but Democrats have truly become the fiscally conservative party compared with what Bush has done to this country. Less taxes alone are not sound economic policy in the Keynesian model, smart efficient government is essential. I am sick of blind faith Republicans – I am voting for the more able of the two candidates most likely to lead this country out of this mess, Obama is not an ideologue, he is a pragmatist – just what we need.

The Republicans need to reevaluate themselves. Period.

Posted by JD | Report as abusive

Mccain couldn’t piece together a cohesive argument but instead stumbled over his words. Him and Palin have no constructive substance or solutions to any of the problems facing the country. Their appeal can thus only be for people who aren’t willing to let a person of color lead the nation.

Posted by Steve | Report as abusive

I can imagine a reality where Mr. McCain is president and it is a scary dark world of ‘my way or the highway’ . We’ve had 8 years of this and a continuation will further erode the rights of the individual in favor of the rights of those who game the system to gain wealth . I would encourage you to vote for Mr. Obama and plan on new regulation of capital markets . Many challenges remain and I would prefer a cool collected mind capable of reasoned decisions over a I am always right viewpoint .

Posted by Andy Vollmer | Report as abusive

I think Obama responded to the questions in the same way G W Bush responds when he is asked about the economy, he tries. He is Bush already.

Posted by pro | Report as abusive

SORRY AMERICA, IM STILL HUNG UP ON THE WMD’S THING…..WHY DID WE GO TO IRAQ AGAIN?…..

Posted by vince | Report as abusive

hey everyone, did anyone notice?

Posted by vince | Report as abusive

I think Senator McCain gave us a good show of how not to be “presidential”. We, the American people, must endure
an election that seems so inane in contrast to the economic and social issues we are facing. I don’t know what Barack Obama will do, but, as a Republican who supported McCain in 2000 and voted for Bush twice, I am done with all that. Our national leaders, our President and our Congress, have allowed the nation to move to the brink of disaster for a few lousy dollars in campaign
contributions. Do they have any idea what they are doing now? No! The idea of Palin as President is more frightening than anything I can think of. I have met third graders smarter and more articulate than her.

Posted by JDEALSO | Report as abusive

who the hell is joe six pack or whatever his name was, In america we have Joe, Mark, Mike, Osama, Mohammad, David, Anna , Susuana, Julie, BOB, frank, ali, eli, shajinder, mahinder, the bus driver , cab driver , fire man, and so on,,,, who the hell is joe, Diffrent people have diffrent problems, America needs help for all not just joe, Mccain proved he is soooooooooo stupid….i hope people realize this fact!!!!!!!!!

peace

IT DOSENT MATTER WHO YOU VOTE FOR ZIONISTS AND FREEMASONS RUN US ANYWAYS!

Posted by vince | Report as abusive

Angie:

Shortest verse in the bible is “Jesus wept.”

He must have been thinking of you.

Posted by eet | Report as abusive

Obama won
Healthcare and economy.
Americans should look at the rest of the developt world and see how other countries are managing goverment run or goverment regulated healthcare and HOW everybody has coverage and lov cost , no bankrupcies, as i recal one interview given by the prime mionister of Switserland he said something like it would be a nacional scandal if somebody was going bankrupt due to medical care. (they have not for profit hmo system.)

Posted by mel | Report as abusive

The concern about the credit markets is indicative of the problem. Our house of cards is based on debt and profits to be made a) from interest in debt; b) borrowing to improve and expand businesses (a good thing)
and c) workers who borrow to feed sometimes irrational consumer spending. The house of cards – we have been told – will crash if credit is frozen because a, b, and c will be serverely impacted. We need to face reality. We just can’t afford irrational excess. It’s going to be a brutal ride.

John McCain is not a conservative. He will turn his back on every conservative notion he is now espousing if he is elected. Barack Obama is a liberal, but liberal spending measures and an endless series of bailouts is not the answer.
Americans should get basic health care and catastrophic health assistance. One should be able to get a college level education for free . . . not Harvard, Princeton or Yale . . . but an adequate useful education. There should be a series of skilled worker programs for those who do not want to or are not qualified to go to college.
There should be compulsory military or other service for anyone receiving these benefits. Those not receiving benefits because they are wealthy should also be required to do compulsory service for a shorter period of time. The idea of something “compulsory” might raise
feeedom concerns, but the benefits to our nation would be profound. We should all be working to rid our nation and our individual citizens of debt. We are way over our heads.

Posted by JDEALSO | Report as abusive

Obama=John Kennedy
McCain=Richard Nixon

‘Nuff said

Posted by Adam Swart | Report as abusive

Angie – I don\’t think that driving money changers out of the temple is quite the same as war. Pacifist doesn\’t mean he was not capable of getting mad; things angered Jesus and he took action. But Jesus condemned war and violence at all costs; even then Peter, trying to save him, cut off the Roman soldiers ear; Jesus picked it up and healed the Roman soldier before being taken away. Jesus was also rejected as the messiah by the Jews because they wanted a political conquer and he said \’the Kingdom of God is not of this world\’.

And I don\’t think that Jesus was literally meaning a sword. He was talking the word of God which is often alluded to in the New Testament as a \’sword\’. (but this conversation should be on a different blog)

Posted by Juls | Report as abusive

I always thought that judging someone by their appearances was shallow; but I have to say that Obama is clearly the winner – he is steady, focused, even when attacked. McCain is unfortunately not as charismatic, even though I truly like the guy. It really comes down to a divide between old politics and new politics. And the world is ready for a change.

Posted by Garrett | Report as abusive

Obama 60% McShame 30%

Posted by Jim | Report as abusive

Sen. Obama has won this debate in flying colors. Sen. McCain has been a disgrace to the GOP. He keep using negative attacks on Obama and that has hurt him more than anything. Get use to saying “President Obama”. Go Obama Go.

Posted by Tony | Report as abusive

i don’t understand why so many people think obama won because he “appeared presidential”? looks can deceive, remember? i admit – he is cool as a cucumber and mccain does seem fidgety, whatever. but obama is going to end capitalism as we know it and implement socialism. last time a president did that, what started out as a recession ended up as the great depression. let’s all grow up and realize that we are not in highschool voting for two people in a popularity contest.

Posted by lb | Report as abusive

Obama displayed wisdom, statesmanship, good judgement and character. This cannot be said of McCain in the same degree. These are qualities that are needed as president of America or a leader of any country for that matter. In the interest of America and the world at large, it behoove Americans to vote for Obama. He would serve Americans well and make the world a better place. McCain’s foreign policies will convert American into the world largest gated community. The world desires America to regain its leadership role. The qualities possessed by Obama and his policies would serve to achieve this. The world may not be able to vote in the upcoming American election but they will vote in a myriad of ways at least over the next 4 years.

Posted by James Chou | Report as abusive

OBAMA WON- Mccain did well the early stages of the debate, Obama come out Presidential afterwards and proved that he had what it takes to be the commander in Chief and steward of the falling US economy

Joe the Plumber won. McCain chucked the kitchen sink – with plumber attached – and missed.

Posted by KW Hwang | Report as abusive

I just scanned the last half of this, but how did religion get brought into this. The question was….who won the debate….Obama or McCain.

Being a Gen X’er, I see how easily public opinion (especially younger voters) can be swayed by the media(i.e. Internet, TV, Radio, Celebrities). All voters should never take anything they read or hear for granted. Do your fact checking and double check it all. Then make your decision.

Posted by Average Joe | Report as abusive

I’ve voted Republican all my life, including twice for George W Bush. I’ve come to terms with those mistakes and was thrilled to see Barack Obama secure my vote tonight.
Senator McCain came across as an studdering old man, bouncing from one topic to another, with very little substance. In fact, he sounded rather dull when he kept repeating the same lies he’s been touting for months about Obama’s tax, health and economy plans. Obama has been clear and specific about his plans for this great country…can’t McCain hear well, or what?

Posted by California Kate | Report as abusive

Barack Obama is one of the most thoughtful, intelligent, focused, pragmatic and inspirational politicians to come along in many decades. He will win in a landslide, going away, despite the fact that a substantial number of people, for whom he will make a much better president than McCain would, will not vote for him because he is multi-ethnic. The Republicans have wrought great havoc these last eight years, and many of their leaders belong in the dock at a war crimes trial, but Obama and a strongly Democratic congress are a good first step and repairing the damage.

Posted by Acorvid | Report as abusive

e.g. …a good first shot AT repairing the damage.

Posted by Acorvid | Report as abusive

watching the debate the second time i was surprised to see how many times Mccain called out Obahma for his reckless spending. He set up good themes to take the lead. Like stating Obahma still has not said what the penalty to small business will be if they don’t offer OBAMA mandated Health care (which by the way the reason people will be able to keep there employer health care is because OBAMA will penalize them if the choose not too. He has businesses with a double edjed sword. Oh well they will just have to lay people off or reduce salaries. At first I was dissapointed but watching it again McCain did make Obama grimmace and do his the grinch who stole money from the haves to give to the have not’s grin……take that

If we were to base our voting decision on those debates, Obama has successfully projected himself as a leader with views and answers that appeared sincere and well understood with shown ability to maintain his calm persona even when attacked personally.
In contrast McCain lacked depth, was repeating the same messages time and again as if he was reading a short script and seeing the third debate he also positioned himself as “petty” by trying to score small unimportant personal points. In short, a President designate and a Senator for life.

Posted by John Mantikas | Report as abusive

McCain went off the deep end when he started to talk about Lewis, it was all downhill for him from there. Obama won because he got to the majority of the independants.

Posted by Todd | Report as abusive

I think both had some pretty good points. McCain hammering reform over more spending was appreciated. I just don’t think McCain stands for the right kind of reform. I don’t believe he will actually enact that reform if elected. Obama exaggerates a bit too, but I believe he will be able to change more than McCain will.

McCain’s temper really showed through in some very tense moments. He really seemed to have trouble keeping himself in check in this little debate, with the melodramatic eye rolls and fidgiting and such. I wonder what will happen if he is elected and meets another country’s leader. Obama was calm throughout, even his smile when he disagreed wasn’t full of the malice McCain’s seemed to be.

The “Joe the Plumber” shtick was a little silly for both of them. If plumbers make 250K, I’m in the wrong business.

While I appreciate all the service McCain has done for this country, I don’t think he’s the best man out of the two for the job. I’ll be voting for Obama, and I hope he wins.

Posted by Michael Shaw | Report as abusive

So happy to see this many people calling it like it was: McCain just kept on his bitter attacks, but he never rattled Obama’s nerves. This will backfire on him even further and widen Obama’s gap. This debate reminded me of just how old McCain looks and acts. At 72, he would be the oldest President to ever take office (Regan was 68). I wanted nothing more than to reach through the screen and wipe that bitter, sarcastic smirk off his face. Obama has youth and energy on his side, not to mention his unfaltering, level-headed demeanor. The candidates are always going to tell you the same things: they will never raise taxes, and their foreign policy and healthcare plans are far superior to their opponent’s. We will never really know until they are elected and their policies are put into place. So having said that, I am putting allot of weight on personality, character and age.

Posted by Scott | Report as abusive

Sen. Obama trounced Sen. McCain in this debate, just as he did in all of the previous ones. I am proud to support Sen. Obama for President. Tomorrow, I will vote early and beat the long lines of Obama supporters who will no doubt fill the polling stations across the US come November 4th.

Posted by Jeremy | Report as abusive

John Mccain effectively killed his own campaign in this debate. America is fighting for its life and all he can think of is attacking every word Obama mentions. He looked like he was gonna have a heart attack. I ain’t an american but knowing that every action of the US president affects the whole world, i am not sure he is what America need right now. With debts of 10trillions and the republicans bleeding money in Iraq and ensuring the growth of the heroin tarde and taliban in Afghanistan, the only mistake America can make right now is not getting rid of the republicans. So many other nations will take over the role of global superpower, shoudl the republicans stay in power.

China has a $1trillion reserves and counting; the EU offers a more balanced alternative to america in terms of diplomacy, global prowess and fence building; the arabs are sitting on almost perhaps $1-2trillions. And america/george bush/John Mccain are still bleeding $10billion a month i Iraq alone!

Anyoen who thinks of continuing with this by electing appointing John Mccain is either brain dead, a die in the wool republican(sic war monger) or a racist who has issues with voting for some one who happens to be non-european american.

Posted by Kuru | Report as abusive

Obama’s health care, tax and educational plans and views on abortion sounded good for me. For sure that is what common people want. McCain does not understand middle class, giving tax breaks for big companies leaves them enough money to spend more on Golf, Private Jets and Fashion than creating more jobs. Its time for America to think seriously.

Posted by cna | Report as abusive

As a foreigner, one has to admire the United States : a land of opportunity for those willing to work hard and take risks, a great pioneer spirit, a patriotic nation willing to sacrifice when needed, an environment conducive to innovation and the betterment of oneself, etc.

However, from the outside looking in, there seems to be two important ingredients missing for the longer term balanced development of this survival-of-the-fittest society : a minimal amount of social solidarity and safeguards against excessive behaviour.

• Indeed, no society can aspire to long term harmony if increasingly large portions of its people are left on the sidelines to struggle under the poverty line. Social unrest eventually ensues, as history has repeatedly illustrated in many developed countries.
• Again, no long term equilibrium if the many are not protected from the potential excesses of the few. The prevailing US real estate and financial crisis is a vivid reminder of this.

The more conservative minds in the US will cry foul at these two notions : socialist dogma for the first, bigger government, government interventionism or over-regulation for the second. The proponents of these ideals are derogatively labelled “liberals” in your country.

I hail from France and have always prided myself to support political parties from the right side of the aisle. The socialist left in France is forever accusing the right of being raving-mad …… “liberals”.

Terminology is a funny thing !! So I went to the dictionary to get a better handle of the meaning the term and found quite a few definitions. Below are a few samples :

-Adjective :
1. favourable to progress or reform, as in political or religious affairs
2. favourable to or in accord with concepts of maximum individual freedom possible, esp. as guaranteed by law and secured by governmental protection of civil liberties
3. pertaining to representational forms of government rather than aristocracies and monarchies
4. free from prejudice or bigotry
5. open-minded or tolerant, esp. free of or not bound by traditional or conventional ideas, values, etc.
6. characterized by generosity

Now, that’s MY kind of “liberal” !!

The French right wing “liberals”, in power during most of the post WWII area, have lorded over a society which is considered by the opposition on the left as outrageously capitalistic, but yet enjoys high quality universal healthcare, free schools and universities for all, second-to-none rail and road infrastructures, etc.

I hear Mr. Obama often labelled as a closet socialist. Yet his policies could still be considered to the right of the right in France. So where does that place Mr. McCain’s ? And where have extremists on the right led their nations in history ? The US got a front row seat in the 20th century when it came across the pond to rescue Europe from two such regimes. And where has it led the US when its home-grown neo-conservatives were at the helm ? To Iraq, where it had no business going in the first place.

So, Mr. Obama is definitely MY kind of “liberal” !! Pray that he should be so for a majority of Americans !!

Posted by Eric | Report as abusive

Obama won, yes!!!

Posted by Joao doNascimento | Report as abusive

I watched the debate outside US with great curiosity. I think the delivery and body language of Obama were more presidential.McCain seemed to be agressive and arogant which do not fit a president.Even President Bush look gentle.– A.N.A

Obama clearly won all the debates, hands down.

On all three occasions McCain came across as a nasty, angry, bitter old man – contemptuous and negative. America does not need a President with these attributes, coupled with the same policies of the Bush doctrine that has brought America to the abyss.

McCain certainly looks like a heart attack waiting to happen, and with Palin waiting in the wings it would be a complete joke and huge embarrassment to the USA and the world at large.

Roll on November 4th – let’s get the inevitable over with and allow Barrack Obama to start selecting his cabinet members and forming a new government in January 2009. It is a pity it cannot happen sooner.

Posted by Alex Esterhase | Report as abusive

I am voting for relief for the middle class. The 95% of folks that know how many houses they own.

I am voting a big F U to the rednecks with the racist Curious George t-shirts.

I am voting for Obama.

Great debate, like the die hard McCain post out here. Most saying he won or angry he didn’t. I counted them, its about 5%, lol.

Posted by Stephen Burke | Report as abusive

We all hope for a better America, that we can enjoy our homes and see our children grow up safe and secure. The politics of fear and hate are effective but I sincerely hope that America has matured enough to ignore the hate-mongers and vote for what we feel is best.

The policies of the Republican party make sense from a distance but have not worked for over 20 years now. It was once referred to as “trickle-down” and now we toss aroung deregulation, but the effect is the same.

Allowing business to grow is extremely important but we cannot embrace that point and ignore the state of the middle class. The theory that a free market will take care of itself relies on big business’s honesty and their willingness to spread around the wealth. We have seen neither.

I am afraid what we are witnessing is the awful fact that people are people and won’t be honest or share willingly. Deregulation results in the rich getting richer and the eventual elimination of the middle class.

We unfortunately need government intervention to keep the market free and balanced and to make sure that the middle class (who pay for most of what we have) does not disappear. Big business will not willingly “trickle-down” anything. To the contrary they just pay their executives more extreme salaries and post obscene profits while the rest of us struggle.

I believe it’s time to level the playing field. We’ve paid for it.

Ed

Posted by EdAInWestOC | Report as abusive

The difference between the candidates could not be more
stark than what was shown last night. A cool and collected
demeanor from Obama and an erratic, parsing and somewhat
angry McCain, both talking about their differences on the
topics raised.
Clearly, McCain lost decisively on the evening, though he
was stronger in his delivery than the two previous debates.

I will be voting for Obama because of the many issues that
face this country that need to be met with a new direction.
John McCain has been a Senator for two decades and has
never been a vocal opponent of the GOP agenda that the
current administration has stuck this nation with.
No matter what McCain has stated during this campaign,
he has embraced the Bush Administration in all it’s
aspects, and NEVER spoke out against the massive mistakes
that Bush and cronies have made.

Posted by ronald | Report as abusive

Obama clearly one the debate! McCain was nervous, confused, and got his words twisted around often in his rebuttals where he jumped right in before his time interrupting Obama. McCain was not Presidential material last night just a grumpy old man. Who cares about “Joe” anyway. I care about the two wars we are raging, homelessness and the economy. November 4th can’t come soon enough for the voters. I voted early last week for Obama/Biden. Interestingly enough I stood in line for 2 1/2 hours with the most diverse crowd I’ve seen since the unemployment line in 2001.

Posted by rose austin | Report as abusive

I think that Senator Obama had a near death experience being in such close proximity to McCain – a man with one foot in the grave and the other in one of his 7 homes.

Posted by Jon | Report as abusive

I would like to comment even though as a permanent resident alien I do not have a vote.
I was glad to see McCain display some passion in this debate. I honestly feel he did well in peeling away some of the layers of fluff that Obama frequently covers himself in.
I think Obama will struggle to lead with conviction and will succumb to the majority views of his party in power.
America is losing a great opportunity for the right kind of change that is needed.
I did not see a Presidential display from Obama. He often was seen nodding in apparent agreement with McCain or was forcing a smile as a defensive mechanism when under attack.
Be afraid America, be very afraid.

Posted by Richard | Report as abusive

McCain’s best night but as others have said, very condescending and could not sit still. More faces and glares than content. And I am so sick of Joe this, Joe that whether it’s Joe-Sixpack, Joe Plumber…who does McCain think I am? All through the debate I thought, if a plumber makes $250k, he should pay taxes. And no plumber on Earth works 10 to 12 hours a day, seven days a week. That is typical Rupert Murdock hype and I don’t eat that stuff anymore.

Posted by Steve Horn | Report as abusive

Obama won in my opinion.

I don’t live in the US, but what I don’t understand is why everyone thinks increasing taxes is the devil from both Dem and Rep. Look at the US deficit, look at your debt. For such a right-wing country the US has complete fiscal irresponsibility.

Republicans preach fear about increased government. The lack of government is what allowed the financial system to come crashing to its knees. The US had all the checks and balances after the 1930s to protect the financial system. The obsession in the US to eliminate government from the equation has removed ‘all’ checks in balances over the years since then.

And even after what has happened this week, McCain has some nerve demonizing the increase of government. Just think of the word ‘govern’ment. That is their &^%&% job.

Posted by stretch | Report as abusive

McCain looked pretty desperate when he raised the question of Obama and Ayers. It’s a non-issue and everyone, even McCain supporters, knows it.

Posted by getplaning | Report as abusive

Sam,

Does democracy rings you any bells?

It seems you have a problem dealing with it.
I maintain my opinion and position regarding to the debate.

Furthermore, I urge you to, neverthless your right to disagree with me, to be polite.

It seems that you campaining the Dems, and that you’ll do all you can to get waht you want.

Regards

Posted by MP | Report as abusive

McCain didn’t say anything. Zero. He had my vote in 2000 but he has nothing to offer now.

Posted by Andrew McKay | Report as abusive

Obama won. No question. On both content and presentation. This guy is very cool under pressure… and I think that is the kind of person who would make a good president. Combine that with his likability, and we get a great president; and we really need one now.

McCain: Wow. I just can’t see how he got to this point. He comes across as confused, except during short periods where he seems to really believe something he is saying. Other wise he seems to spout a mish-mash of slogans. There is more to him I hope, but, sadly, it doesn’t come across.

Posted by Richard | Report as abusive

I am an immigrant here, and for the last years I have seen this country destroyed by democrats like Obama who was the poster child for ACORN – part of the actual economical crisis. US is all about appearances….”he looked more presidential” …” his demeanor was better” … I DON’T CARE. McCain has a better plan, and Obama is only a better speaker. Obama gives me the feeling I am buying a “preowned car” …he has no substance, and none of his plans are viable or explained in detail….is all lip service. In my book McCain wins.

Posted by John Brad | Report as abusive

“That one” is the winner because he looked cool as he explained the issues and his plans for America. Mr. McCain cannot hide his fustration that a guy called Obama, a junior senator, may become the next President of the United States. I believe by now McCain realizes he wasted three or four weeks of going nowhere with his personal attacks and the stupid selection of Mrs. Palin. McCain will forever regret bringing Karl Rove and his goonies to destroy his very credible campaign.

Posted by Eddie Zalez | Report as abusive

Obama used the debate tonight as an excellent opportunity to explain his programs & policies, point by logical point.
McCain used the debate to attack Obama & parrot the old Bush-Reagan dogma of deregulation that has led us into this current worldwide economic meltdown.

Who won?

Really, McCain sealed his fate tonight by proving himself stale & lacking on policies to bring our country forward.

I’m sure, however, that Obama, as President, will work constructively with McCain and the Republicans to advance our country.

Oh, one more point. Regarding Palin, even John McCain, for all his “praise”, couldn’t bring it over his tongue to state that he considers Palin qualified to be President, were something to happen to him. That’s significant.

Obama said he’ll leave it up to the voters to decide. We have. While it might be fun to drink a Joe-six-pack with her, that’s not what she’s running for. The vast majority of Americans can recognize someone in way over their head, and have no doubts Palin is utterly unqualified for high office.

Obama/Biden are the only candidates qualified and with the right stuff to be running our country come Jan. 20th, 2009.

On Nov. 4th, I will vote for Obama/Biden without any doubts or reservations.

Posted by fbla1805 | Report as abusive

McLost…he was pathetic. Whining about being picked on, give me a break. Time for retirement gramps.

Posted by james | Report as abusive

Obama won, yes!!!

Posted by Akila | Report as abusive

Definition of Insanity…..

Doing the same things over and over and expecting a different result

I say time for a BIG CHANGE!

Obama/Biden ’08

Posted by Cathy | Report as abusive

Obama. The decision is clear. Oh and how many plumbers make $250k in Ohio per year? Should be enough for the fishing boat, gun and a house too. Joe? Get a financial planner.

Posted by Tony | Report as abusive

I’m 72 and in pretty good physical and mental condition, my wife however says Iforget things. What is McCain made of since he dare to run for president, he is a nervous rag. That’s my conclusion after watching him during the debate, a blinking winking, face wrinkling old man.
We need a smart man and without doubt some young blood from the generation which is our working women and men right now. GO OBAMA GO, by the way he won the debat by a land slide, so will the final votes go as well.

Posted by Dane | Report as abusive

I maybe wrong, but I think the pundits, the editorial writers, and the media in general– no matter which side of the political spectrum they come from– fail to understand how unsettling and frightening this economic crisis is for many Americans.

Thus, the GOP magic words of “big government”, “lower taxes”, “tax and spend liberal”, “fiscal responsibility” and so on no longer resonate with many voters. Clearly, these words still have impact on the Republican base, but they have become fighting words for Democrats and seem to be becoming “used cars” for independents.

It was either amusing or sad last night to listen to the GOP activists (Bill Bennett et all) on CNN trumpet a McCain victory and they cited as the reasons many of the afore mentioned words– in other words McCain had gotten Obama and made his points. When the polls came out in the other direction they were at a loss to explain except to say the polls were wrong. In my view, these words do not work now and in fact represent (perhaps unfairly) the words of what “got us here”.

Until such time, McCain and his party can come to grips with this– Obama’s march to a landslide is unstoppable.

Posted by Daniel P Richardson | Report as abusive

Not that anyone will read my comment afer all the others, it is just funny to see all the Obama sheep not seeing that both canidates acted like children. Obama was interrupting, sighing, laughing AT mccain, and when he was asked if he would denounce the attacks, he ignored the question. He is an angry angry man that thinks because he is black he DESERVES the presidency. Not that I think mccain is useful but obama berated (as did mccain), he interrupted mid sentance (as mccain did later on) and overall if he was a child, he would have gotten spanked and a time out…

Maybe instead of calling obama the empty suit, we should call his fans that…

Posted by Ben | Report as abusive

The first 20 comments or so appear to have been written by the same person(s). Makes me wonder if Obama contines to use ACORN tactics.

Dana

Posted by Dana | Report as abusive

OBAMA WON THE DEBATE. HOPEFULLY HE WILL BE OUR PRESIDENT. WE WILL GAIN OUR RESPECT FROM OTHER COUNTRIES AGAIN.

Posted by isabelle | Report as abusive

I could care less what any candidates Pastor has to say. I could care less what any candidates religion is.
I could care less what race any candidate is.
I could care less what a candidates middle name is.

I care that Palin comes off as an idiot.
I care that McCain comes off as angry and mean.
I care that McCain/Palin believe in overturning Roe vs. Wade.
I care that I see more War through McCain, and more lower/middle class help with Obama.
I care that if McCain dies at the helm, we get stuck with the Pageant Winner.
I care that if Obama gets whacked, at least we have a level headed Biden to step in.

Posted by Dave | Report as abusive

Reading some of the comments is comical; it’s like cheering for two last place teams hoping that your team wins and doesn’t come in last. How did it ever come to this? Surely there are more qualified candidates for president than Obama and McCain! Does it really matter which one becomes president? Whoever IS elected will continue to blame the Bush administration for the next four years and why they are not able to pull us out of the mess were are in!

Posted by Bryan | Report as abusive

Obama did act sort of calm, except when he kept interrupting Senator McCain and trying to talk over him. He’s a lawyer, he knows how to talk to the talk. People say he talked more
Presidential– well what is that?

The question is — can he walk the walk?

THe answer is — we don’t know. Obama has no solid record of doing anything he says he’s going to do.

McCain is solid. He does what he says and he says what he does.

I have no doubt that both candidates love and honor the United States of AMerica but I’ve only heard the words from one of them: John McCain.

Posted by Kim | Report as abusive

I’d be careful of putting down any news Network like Obama did. He put down FOX. And he looked like a sniveling child when he did it. I don’t get why he did that because ABC, NBC, MSNBC, and his own Obama Channel on DISHnetwork are all leaning left towards him and obviously bias against Repubs.

Add to that the list of Celebu-supporters and all the millions of $$ he’s thrown into this campaign to smear the other side — I wonder why he’s worried about FOX. I guess I’ll have to go watch it and see what they say.

Posted by Shelia | Report as abusive

I think McCain won. He cornered Obama on several issues, such as taxes, voting records on abortion, unkept campaign promises, etc. Obama either had no good answer or lied in response to those. Here’s why this is good for McCain: he doesn’t have the gobs of money to saturate the air waves with those messages. Obama has money bleeding out his rear-end and didn’t have to attack McCain in the debate because he has a near-infinite supply of money to saturate the air waves with attack ads. This debate was McCain’s best and probably only chance to bring Obama’s record and broken promises to the forefront and he did just that.

On demeanor, body language, and eloquence, Obama definitely performed better. Obama’s good at lying, twisting, and smooth-talking. He also pointed that out a couple times. McCain was clearly frustrated by that, as are many Republicans.

I’ll agree with everyone that the Ayers connection isn’t solid enough to warrant the kind of attention McCain’s campaign has given it.

Posted by David Chin | Report as abusive