Dueling media messages barrage voters

October 29, 2008

WASHINGTON – Voters are being barraged by scores of advertisements for president, congressional candidates and ballot initiatives and Wednesday night Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama airs a 30-minute prime time appeal to voters on most of the major television networks.

The 8 p.m. EDT show, which is estimated to cost close to $1 million for each major network slot, will focus on the economy and include a little live Obama from a rally he will be attending in Florida. Obama, ahead in most polls (narrowly in some), will also go on the popular “Daily Show with Jon Stewart” on Comedy Central to round out his media blitz.

Meanwhile his opponent, Republican John McCain, made a pre-emptive strike, issuing a new television advertisement knocking Obama for his infomercial and will go on CNN’s “Larry King Live” at 9 p.m. EDT to respond to it.

But not to be outdone, the Obama campaign issued a new ad of its own, slamming McCain’s vice presidential pick Sarah Palin and their lack of knowledge about the economy.

One thing for sure – voters will be happy when the election is over and they can go back to watching ads for cars and pharmaceuticals.

Click here for more Reuters 2008 campaign coverage

For someone that says he is all about spreading the wealth, it sure is nice to see Senator Obama giving all that wealth to the already wealthy broadcasting stations. It seems highly hypocritical to be spending around $1 million dollars for each time slot just to talk about the economy.

Posted by Jordan | Report as abusive

I’m absolutely amazed that this race is even close. The United States is finding itself in an absolute shambles: an economy in tatters, thousands upon thousands of people who have lost their homes, continuing dependence on foreign oil, no answer to the climate change issue, and an unwinnable war with no end in sight.

And still almost (or more than) half of the population are going to vote for the republicans?? The same party that has steered the country into the proverbial gutter.

How about this instead. Try thinking for a change, and you might realize that a different approach could do the country (and everyone in it) some good.

Posted by Duke | Report as abusive

Socialism has never worked in China, Russia, Vietnam, Cuba and North Korea and I don’t think it will work in america. Mr. Obama, you are going to waste your time!

Posted by serious voter | Report as abusive

If Obama and Biden get elected in November, they will withdraw troops and cut off funding for Iraq and Afghsnistan immediately. Biden and his friends did that to South Vietnam in 1975, this caused South Vietnam to collapse rapidly. Because of that, many South Vietnamese were killed or put in prisons by North Vietnam. Biden will do the same thing in Iraq, this time Iraq, Kuwait, Israel, Afghanistan and some Arab countries will become vulnerable.

Posted by serious voter | Report as abusive

You are right Duke I am amazed the race is even close too. But I am amazed so many people are falling for what Obama has tried to sell them. There is no way he can do what he is saying. He is preying on the underprivileged and uneducated for his votes.

His stand on abortion and gay rights is another issue all together.

When he criticizes Palin for not having the experience needed to be the VICE PRES.,I almost have to laugh. I don’t think HE is qualified to be the Vice President yet.

I am a Democrat but I will be voting for McCain

Posted by sylvia dewitt | Report as abusive

Maybe I’m becoming jaded, but honestly I don’t care about the Vietnamese, the Iraqi’s, or any other foreign countries’ citizens at this point.

I care about the millions of impoverished Americans right here at home who have no healthcare, are facing foreclosure on their homes, and those who may not be able to save enough for their children to go to college.

I don’t care about the starving Somali child, I care about the starving boy living right here in Chicago and over in Detroit.

I don’t care about the under paid Chinese worker, I care about the underpaid American worker.

For entirely too long we’ve attempted to take care of the world, now it’s time to take care of our own.

Posted by Dave | Report as abusive