Tales from the Trail

Republicans say Obama’s press conference plan presumptous

November 2, 2008

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Republicans accused Barack Obama of arrogance on Sunday after he referred to plans to hold a press conference the day after the election.

As Obama was boarding his campaign plane to fly to rally in Columbus, a reporter asked him what kind of instructions he would give his Treasury secretary for implementing the $700 billion financial rescue package.

Tapper then suggested Obama call a press conference.

“I will. On Wednesday,” the candidate said.

The Republican National Committee quickly sent the exchange to reporters, labeling it part of the “Audacity Watch.” Borrowing from the title of Obama’s book, “The Audacity of Hope,” the RNC has a web site that chronicles what it sees as Obama’s presumptuousness about his chances of winning Tuesday’s election.

An aide to the Obama campaign later said there would not necessarily be a press conference on Wednesday. Adviser Linda Douglass said Obama would meet reporters by the end of the week but “don’t count on Wednesday.”

Photo credit: REUTERS/Jason Reed. Obama boards his plane in Springfield, Mo.  Nov. 2, 2008.

Comments
10 comments so far | RSS Comments RSS

That’s what happens when the RNC can’t accept Obama being EVASIVE, as opposed to being presumptuous.

Here’s what Obama should have said if he was allowed to speak the plain truth (with my additions in parentheses):
…A reporter asked him what kind of instructions he would give his Treasury secretary for implementing the $700 billion financial rescue package.
“We’re on a tarmac,” replied Obama (what do you want me to do, pull out an easy answer out of my ass? You think I can give you a sound bite that would save our country?)

(new reporter) Tapper then suggested Obama call a press conference.
“I will. On Wednesday,” the candidate said. (as in, let me try to win this election first, then you can ask me to call a conference. And to you RNC idiots, I’m not going to wait for a mourning period for you losers, I need to fix your mess ASAP.)

Posted by Mitch | Report as abusive

This is ridiculous and shows how desperate the Republicans are getting. Of course Obama will hold a press conference on Wednesday. He may be celebrating his victory or he may be congratulating McCain for his victory, but either way, there will surely be a press conference. To call this “audacity” or “presumption” can only be humor, stupidity, or dishonesty — most likely both of the latter.

Posted by Craig | Report as abusive

Silly Sarah will have a press conference.
Announce she is pregnant again.
Triplets? waiting for medical records who the papa is.

Posted by Rfus the Red FOx | Report as abusive

Thank you, Craig, for posting something sensible. It’s amazing what ridiculous straws the RNC is grasping at in these final hours.

Posted by Mave | Report as abusive

Sounds to me as if Obama either has NO plan how to cure the economy, or his plan is so bad that no one would vote for him if he revealed it. I’m voting McCain, by the way. Obama’s associates are just a bit much for my taste as a free person.

Posted by Marcella Smith | Report as abusive

It is still beyond me how anyone would want to vote for an anti-American marxist to inhabit the white house.

Posted by Sam Adams | Report as abusive

This ill-timed Tapper tarmac trickery by ABC is similar to the putting-of-words-in-the-mouth trickery that was pulled on distinguished General Wesley Clark on June 29th (by the moderator of the third debate between Messrs. Obama & McCain, i.e., by Bob Schieffer of CBS). Here is the excerpt from the Clark-Schieffer interview that amply demonstrates my point:

“Mr. Schieffer: Could I just interrupt you. If-
General Clark: Sure.
Schieffer: I have to say, Barack Obama has not had any of those experiences either, nor has he ridden in a fighter plane and gotten shot down. I mean-
Clark: Well, I don’t think riding in a fighter plane and getting shot down is a qualification to be President.”

Kindly compare that with this Reuters quote, Mr. & Mrs. Reader…showing the putting-of-words-in-the-mouth MO (modus operandi) of Mr. Tapper:

“As Obama was boarding his campaign plane to fly to rally in Columbus, a reporter asked him what kind of instructions he would give his Treasury secretary for implementing the $700 billion financial rescue package. “We’re on a tarmac,” the Democratic White House contender replied to ABC News correspondent Jake Tapper. Tapper then suggested Obama call a press conference. “I will. On Wednesday,” the candidate said.”

OK Jack

It’s too bad there isn’t an IQ requirement for posting here.
If there were, troglodites like Sam Adams wouldn’t be let in to do his red baiting.
It must be part of the Republican plan to bring America back to the fifties-complete with segregation and all.
With “values” like theirs, it’s easy to see why they’re losing so badly.

Posted by BLawrence | Report as abusive

Talk about presumptuous, McCain keeps claiming HE’S going to win. There’s your presumption. And it’s beyond me how anyone can vote for a man who was giving away military secrets to the Vietcong in exchange for cigarettes. A man who threw away his wife, who had stuck by him and raised their children alone for 5 long years, for a younger, RICHER sugar mommy. McCain is a traitorous gigolo. thanks but no thanks. No traitorous ex-soldier in MY white house.

Posted by robthomaseyes | Report as abusive

Obama can draw large crowds but 75% of them could be made up of illegal immigrants. It is estimated that we have about 30-40 million illegals and all of them are hoping for Obama’s amnesty regardless of their criminal convictions.

Posted by w.thompson | Report as abusive