Bill Clinton hails Obama’s selection of secretary of state

December 1, 2008

U.S. Secretary of State-designate Hillary Clinton won the swift and hearty support of one former globe-trotting U.S. president: her husband, Bill Clinton.

Just minutes after President-elect Barack Obama nominated Hillary Clinton as his top diplomat on Monday, Bill Clinton issued a statement of praise.

“As an American, I am thankful,” Bill Clinton said. “As her husband, I am deeply proud.”

Bill and Hillary Clinton had crossed swords with Obama in her failed bid to win the Democratic presidential nomination.

But the Clintons set aside any hard feelings to campaign for Obama against Republican rival John McCain in the general election.

Obama rewarded their efforts by picking the former first lady turned U.S. senator from New York for his cabinet. Bill Clinton said that he made a perfect pick.

“She is the right person for the job of helping to restore America’s image abroad, end the war in Iraq, advance peace and increase our security, by building a future for our children with more partners and fewer adversaries,” Bill Clinton said.

“I commend President-Elect Obama for asking her to be a part of a great national security team. America will be well-served,” Clinton said.

What a sad BETRAYAL on all the American people who voted for CHANGE and Obama, especially from the ruthless, power-hungry Hill-Billies. As for you Bill — your endorsement is nothing more than a reminder that the people of the United States are getting shafted yet again, even before the President elect gets to office. Say Bill — weren’t you convicted of lying to the American people? Now there’s an upstanding fellow ….. good grief.

Posted by turismo | Report as abusive

Change we can all believe in. Different administration, same krap.

Well of course Bill Clinton would approve of any of Obama’s choices; they’ve mostly been the same that Clinton chose a decade ago. This is the change that Obama has given us, a change back to where we were with the Clinton administration. I suppose that’s to go with the fact that the market is back where it was 10 years ago as well. If you’re going to campaign with a message of change, then give true change, not the same old, same old.

Posted by Jordan | Report as abusive

I have never been a huge supporter of Hillary Clinton, but I believe that President Obama made “safe” selections for the people surrounding him. Bill Clinton may have lied, like most presidents and most people have, but he got this country back on its feet, and while under his administration, this country prospered. I view myself as an Indepedent with conservative and liberal views and believe that America made the right choice when electing Obama. So, criticize at will, but eat your words when this country begins to reclaim its status as a free world with a thriving free economy.

Posted by thorey | Report as abusive

what are you obamarics complaining about ,the change he was talking about was at the movies.you din,t think he was talking about in washington?hollywood is already shooting movies where the terrorists are now the bad guys.in one movie the president sends members of the auto trade union movement to negotiate a better deal for the ordinary rank and file terrorists because they have to live in caves and have no benefits.come on get in the real world.

Posted by brian lee | Report as abusive

I suggested Hills for Secretary State way back and I am pleased Obama has placed her in that pivotal role.

I was one of her harshest critics over what was a rather unpleasant campaign trail.

However, if Obama can make Hills totally at heel to him and his administrative modus operandii, and be sure not to allow Mr Clinton to be idle (a separately operating peacemaking role is an excellent idea), then all should be well.

There must be no daylight between Obama and his SoS – and this must not turn out as ‘the woman in the Whitehouse’ story, but rather ‘a woman becomes SoS under Obama story’.

It is much better to have Hills inside and onside than outside and twiddling her thumbs: that would have been a bad move indeed.

The devil finds work for idle hands but has no purchase on anyone who is busy working for the good of America and mankind.

I wish Hills well in her new post and feel confident that she will work well under Obama’s strict supervision.

God Bless America!

Posted by TheTruthIs... | Report as abusive

of course he would. what better way back into the White House than this (ok, so she a’int president).

Posted by nick | Report as abusive

i dont see why clinton could not have been president

Of course he is happy, he doesn’t have to get a job, or worry about paying for anything since this job pays almost 200 grand a year! Some how Mrs. Bill Clinton has figured out a way to not go to jail in Arkansas, somehow come from New York to become a senator, and has now wormed her way into trying to become secretary of state. Will this woman stop at nothing to further her career, she could care less about our country, just about herself. As a person who was born and raised in New York, I am ashamed to have her as a senator, I lived in Arkansas when Bill Clinton was the Governor and have to say it was the most backwards state I have ever lived in and she was never even heard about, except for the scandal after wards. Health reform, never happened until her husband was president, I guess the people who lived in Arkansas were not good enough for her until it fit her needs to be known. She is like an infection that you take antibiotics for but just can’t get rid of. She just keeps coming back to fulfill her own self indulgent need to be someone. On my end of the stick, I still can’t find a job, my property taxes have gone up and the woman who screamed that Obama was going to pay her bills is gone. Please tell me what in the heck the democrats are doing for us, I thought they could fix what was wrong with the country in like 2 days, as far as I can see, it is still getting worse, but I guess Mrs. Bill Clinton will fix everything (Since apparently we didn’t vote for her). Nothing like spit, superglue and duct tape to fix any issue of the country. If we want the country to be stagnate, by all means throw her more money and a better job when no one else can get that in the country, break the constitution, go against the will of the entire country. This will make the presidency legitimate to all of us. Break whatever rules you need to in order to get what you want, sends a great message to our young people. The perfect way for our first black president to be. I am ashamed!

Posted by Kimberly | Report as abusive