Second thoughts about attending the inauguration? Try the TV

January 15, 2009

If the prospect of walking for miles in icy temperatures and heavy security is giving you second thoughts about attending the inauguration, Barack Obama has a suggestion.

Watch it on TV.

Or the Internet.

Or better yet, organize an inaugural ball in OBAMA/your neighborhood.

“You’ve probably heard the reports that unprecedented numbers of Americans are planning to join us in Washington,” Obama said Wednesday in a statement released by Presidential Inaugural Committee 2009.

“That will mean long lines, a tough time getting around, and most of all, a lot of walking on what could be a very cold winter day,” Obama warned.

“Fortunately, you don’t have to brave the crowds and commotion in order to participate in this celebration — because we’ve made this inauguration open and accessible to communities across our nation.”

Accessibility has a name: TV. Events begin Sunday afternoon with a celebration at the Lincoln Memorial.

“To allow Americans across the country to join us, HBO will broadcast the event for free that evening,” Obama said.

Then there will be an inaugural concert for kids Monday evening. Disney Channel will broadcast that one live — on radio and TV.
USA/
And on inauguration day, ABC will broadcast an inaugural ball — the Neighborhood Inaugural Ball — on TV and the Internet.

If watching on television makes you feel a bit left out, you can sign up to host your own neighborhood ball at home. There’s even a website: pic2009.com.

“We want you to be right there with us — wherever your neighborhood is,” Obama said.

Looking for still more? The president-elect has another suggestion: On Martin Luther King Day, do some community service work.

Don’t know where or how? Yup, there’s a website: USAservice.org.

For more Reuters political news, click here.

Photo credit: Reuters/Kevin Lamarque (Obama at his office on Wednesday); Reuters/Jim Young (Fence around the U.S. Capitol as inaugural construction work continues)

With only 52 percent of the vote, I doubt there will be many neighborhoods throwing a party.

Posted by TC | Report as abusive

Don’t know what universe you live in but there are community parties planned all over Seattle and the Northwest. In case you haven’t noticed, the paradigm of sour grapes has ended. Join the American community and celebrate!

Posted by Lucy | Report as abusive

Well said Lucy, party at my house Tuesday night!!!!

Posted by Eric H | Report as abusive

No parties in my neighborhood, that’s for sure.

Posted by Debra B | Report as abusive

Just saying you are from Seattle says it all. A liberal progressive wasteland.

Outside of Seattle and other liberal urban centers where real Americans live, won’t be having the neighborhood parties you do as you are sipping your Starbucks.

Remember this, 52 percent of the vote. Hardly a overwhelming majority atmosphere for a party.

Posted by TC | Report as abusive

Here in the states, once the elections are over, most of us will support WHOEVER is elected, no matter what our differences may be or our own thoughts on the matter. We take pride in the country we call Home, and will serve whoever is leading it, even though we have the right to disagree with policies and procedures.

This is a historical event for our country, and even though I did not vote for Obama, I will proudly witness our first black president taking oath. And for the next 4 years I will look to him as our country’s leader, even though I have the freedom to disagree with some of his decisions. :)

My fellow Americans, join the party for America’s 2nd Independence Day on January 20 when we welcome President Barack Obama and say GOOD RIDDANCE to FORMER and EX-president Bush.

Posted by Mark from the USA | Report as abusive

I live on the other side of the country in a small town – there are gatherings planned all over town! What a moment in American history to celebrate. I don’t know when I have looked forward to an American event so much since when I was a child and watched Kennedy being sworn in.

Posted by livvy | Report as abusive

Klamath County, Oregon is having an inauguration party and there are already no tickets left. This in a fairly strong Republican area. Of course, that’s beginning to change.

Posted by Ken Janson | Report as abusive

I want to have my students watch the Inauguration on the Internet but I need to know the URL or the exact place to go.

Posted by Nora | Report as abusive

TC, your a bug-a-boo! Can you just be happy that you are lucky enough to live in this country? You don’t have to resort to name calling and hate on others just because they are excited about the inauguration. When Bush stole the presidency, we let that go and had to deal with him for 8 years.

It’s time to PARTY!!!

Posted by Sandy | Report as abusive

I don’t know why some people feel the need to be negative and nasty in community discussion forums, but I am a proud American and will be watching the inauguration while in Maryland. I fear I will freeze to death if I try to get into DC. And this negative person is wrong, this is a time to celebrate so please keep your nasty negative comments in your own head and don’t type them out there in cypberspace.

Posted by Rhonda Corbella | Report as abusive

I live in the Caribbean and we are celebrating on Tuesday! Instead of griping, recognise these are historic times, historic financial crises the world over, and other negative elements of mass proportions. This is one time the world lifted the USA once again, and recognised that the US as the Great Country that we look up to.

Don’t hate, participate, build, and share in a positive and uplifting side of your own history.

Posted by Gina Tardieu | Report as abusive

All you who hate criticism of Obama should look in the mirror and see what you said about President Bush from day one for eight years. You are hypocrites.

Posted by TC | Report as abusive

Hey TC, we love you anyway!!! Don’t miss a chance to live your life!! 100%!! We’re all good and bad, but should do the best we can at everything. The best happens when we all work together.

Posted by JT | Report as abusive

All I am saying is that Obama hasn’t done anything to earn the accolades he has. And with only 52 percent of the vote, he certainly doesn’t have the support of nearly half the country.

It still interests me how anyone can talk about love while they spewed venomous diatribes out of their mouths for eight years. Where was the love from the first day of the Bush presidency?

I know it really bothers others to hear their guy get criticized. Oh well, I guess it goes both ways.

I make no apologies for pointing out the hypocrisy.

Posted by TC | Report as abusive

you are correct tc there is so much hypocrisy around it has reached such a crescendo perhaps we should invent a new word to celebrate the levels the dems are achieving.how about,obamacracy.their greatest achievement is to express their concern about the economy, when they have spent two years trying to talk it down to help their political cause.

Posted by brian lee | Report as abusive