Obama takes “spiffy” first ride on Air Force One

February 6, 2009

OBAMA/ON BOARD AIR FORCE ONE – Barack Obama, wearing a new jacket with his name and “Air Force One” embroidered on it, took his maiden voyage aboard the presidential Jumbo jet as commander in chief on Thursday.

“What do you think about this spiffy ride?” the president asked, smiling, as he walked into the journalists section at the back of the large plane. “I’ve got my spiffy jacket so I thought I’d come and show it off.”

Obama, who was traveling to Williamsburg, Virginia, to speak to gathering of Democrats from the U.S. House of Representatives, chatted briefly about the economic stimulus bill in Congress before heading back to his quarters at the front of the plane.

He had a cheeseburger and fries during the short trip, an aide reported.

The famous plane, a Boeing 747, has an executive suite for the president including an office, stateroom, and a bathroom with a shower.

“Thank you for giving me a reason to use Air Force One,” he told the gathering in Williamsburg later, smiling broadly. “It’s pretty nice.”

OBAMA/

Reuters photos by Kevin Lamarque.

i am pleased the president is having a enjoyable trip,but i think the over all journey is going to be a very bumpy road.the scam that madoff pulled off seams to be very similar to the system that every one has been using.it looks like money has making money by one guy just passing it on to another,like one big pyramid scam.if our prosperity and standard of living are invisible assets and paper money the term we hear frequently ,with out any matching collateral were in big trouble.

Posted by brian lee | Report as abusive

I’m glad your president is having a spiffy ride. I’m sure the lower class people down in Kentucky that are frozen in are very happy for him also, since he has totally ignored them and their strife. Probably because most of them own guns and cling to bibles in troubled times.

Tomas, has the governor declared an emergency or asked for federal help? It’s called weather, I haven’t had a day above freezing at my place in so long I forget when it was. The “your president” comment is just driving the wedge deeper man. Way to be a patriot!!! He’s your President wether you like it or not, if you don’t like it try secession and see how that works out for you.

Posted by Eric H | Report as abusive

Yes, he is our president. For the first time in my life, I am really ashamed of my country.

Dolores, where would you like to move to? I’ll buy the ticket. You’re just one more person pounding on the wedge and we don’t need you here. So pick a country, we’ll tell Reuters to exchange our e-mail addresses and I’ll put the ticket on my Visa.

Posted by Eric H | Report as abusive

This is what happens when a large part of the population falls for the lies told by a narcissist. Lenin, Stalin, Hitler, Benito Mussolini, David Koresh and Jim Jones manipulated people until they were destroyed, and I’m praying that he doesn’t manage to make it happen here.

I am embarassed and fearful for my country.

Posted by Tanstaafl | Report as abusive

to Tanstaafl Well – Aren’t you glad that Bush (oops, I mean Karl Rove and Cheney) are no longer in office. Ruling with fear! It sure almost happened – and – the way the far right is still screaming, they sure would like to have it happen.

Posted by Eloise | Report as abusive

Hey Eric, Now that you got your president in office you dont want people calling him names or ragging on him, but by god When W was in office that is all you ever heard from the left. Oh and the comment of I’ll buy a ticket. My God man have you forgotten what your party said if Bush got elected again. I remember many people saying they would move. Even offered tickets. Well that never happened.

Obama is not my president. he is this countried president just like Bush was and yet you had no peoblem slandering him. So lay off. If you dont like it them maybe you need to move.

Posted by J | Report as abusive

hi j yes eric is a liberal clone, have you heard the latest conspiracy theory ,they are saying that the republicans intentionally manipulated mc cain into the nominee position because they knew he would never have a chance to win,also the repubs knew how bad things were and they wanted out of office so the dems would get the blame.they are looking for excuses already,they sense that this spending plan might be an egg,so does biden.are you still looking under the bed eric?

Posted by brian lee | Report as abusive