Obama takes a break at Kennedy Center show

February 7, 2009

OBAMA/

By Ayesha Rascoe

After a tough week of haggling over an economic stimulus package and cabinet nominee dramas, President Barack Obama took some time to unwind on Friday night and stepped out for a dance show with his family.

Obama, first lady Michelle and daughters Sasha and Malia attended a 50th anniversary celebration performance by the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater at the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington.

The audience at the sold out show greeted the Obamas with raucous applause as the first family waved from a red VIP box decorated with the presidential seal.

The Ailey company is a celebrated predominantly African-American modern dance troop founded in 1958.

The group has performed for estimated 21 million people in 71 countries.

After their date night on Friday, the Obamas will go to Camp David on Saturday for their first visit to the presidential retreat outside Washington.

Reuters photo by Kevin Lamarque.

Who cares. I am tired of reading these stories about Obama and his personal life. Never in my life have I seen so many stories about every aspect of his life.

Let me name a few. His dog shopping, his trip to a rib joint, can’t stand the confines of the white house, his spiffy new ride on Air Force One with that spiffy new jacket, now the Kennedy Center. I am sure I missed a few.

What makes him so special?

Posted by TC | Report as abusive

I am so jealous I was not there. lol…..I love these people. FLOTUS looks great. Look at POTUS and that smile of his….love him.

Posted by kellygirl17 | Report as abusive

R&R is good for mind, soul and brain. Sometimes it is difficult to put thing in prospective when you in or around it day in and out. So the outing for the first family is refreshing for him and all of us. You be surprise what a little fresh ‘air’ will do for the brain and our president seems to have a lot of brains that will be need in these crisis that we are facing.

warren

Posted by Woodrow Warren | Report as abusive

Warren. However, there are a lot of hurting people who cannot afford to attend events like this. It gives the picture of an elitist who is out of touch with the rest of the country.

All these stories with all the nice spiffy things Obama has doesn’t look good to those who don’t have jobs to afford nice things too.

Posted by TC | Report as abusive

TC you have to be kidding! Obviously you’re a GOP hard liner. We were shown Bush’s days as well, you just liked Bush.

Posted by KO | Report as abusive

Typical progressive liberal response KO. This has nothing to do with anyone but Obama. People are hurting and it doesn’t present a good image to be shown how the elite live in this time of trouble.

Obama tells us how bad things are, but he gets to enjoy the good life while millions of people are losing their jobs.

Doesn’t present a good picture.

I get this all the time about Bush, because that is the best a liberal has as an argument. Either way, I stand by what I said about Obama for the reasons I presented.

Posted by TC | Report as abusive

TC, you’re playing one side again. Bush went to these kind of things all the time, maybe less coverage because he wasn’t new in office. People were also hurting while Bush was setting records for vacation days in Crawford. You seem to have put GWB on a pedestal, like he could do no wrong while tearing down Obama every chance you get.
I wasn’t happy when Bush “defeated” Gore but I sat back and gave the guy a chance to prove himself. I just feel that what he proved himself to be was a failure.

Posted by Eric H | Report as abusive

Just wanted to say, that I was there and the show was wonderful. It was great having the Obama family there. It was a nice surprise for all of us there. Secondly, I am not an elitist. My husband is a social worker and I am registered dietitian. These are not jobs that “Elitist” hold. People who have an appreciation for the arts attend these kinds of events. Besides, attending a sports event would have cost more.

Posted by Mayo | Report as abusive

Eric. There you go again, talking about Bush. I guess when you have nothing, that’s the best you can do.

The economy grew under Bush regardless of what people want to believe. It is a fact for all to see.

In fact, the economy still grew 1.2 percent last year.

You can continue to fall back on Bush all you want, I am merely commenting on Obama and the “crisis” he keeps talking about and all the people are hurting, that he keeps talking about. In the here and now, it doesnt’ look good to live the high life if we are in such a crisis.

It just lends itself to being manufactured by Obama and the media. Since the economy is largely psychological, I am certain had they not talked it down the last two years, so he or Hillary would be elected (not to mention congress)it would be in good shape.

Obama isn’t doing too well with his “change”. It is turning out to be change we can’t believe in.

Posted by TC | Report as abusive