Tales from the Trail

No lie! Poll shows Joe Wilson trailing in reelection bid

September 11, 2009

USA-HEALTHCARE/OBAMACongressman Joe Wilson might be tempted to yell “You lie!” again – this time at a poll that shows the presidential heckler trailing in his reelection bid.

The survey by Public Policy Polling found Democratic challenger Rob Miller leading the five-term Republican lawmaker by 44 percent to 43 percent. The numbers had Democrats cheering, and at least one pollster offering a new view of the contest in the heavily Republican South Carolina district.

It is all part of the fallout of Wilson yelling “You lie!” at President Barack Obama during his address to Congress on Wednesday night on healthcare reform.

“In a matter of seconds Joe Wilson turned himself from a safe incumbent into one of the most vulnerable Republicans in the country for 2010,” said Dean Debnam of Public Policy Polling, which conducted the survey of 747 voters in the congressman’s district.

But Dave Wasserman of the nonpartisan Cook Political Report, which tracks congressional races, downplayed the importance of the poll and predicted Wilson would rebound against his liberal challenger in the conservative district.

“This is just a snapshot in time. The bad news for Rob Miller is that the election is 14 months away,” Wasserman said, noting a lot is certain to happen between now and then.

Last year, Wilson defeated Miller, a former Marine turned small businessman, by 54 percent to 46 percent.

Wilson’s verbal attack on Obama provided a big boost to Miller’s fundraising.
In two days, he raked in more $875,000 from 24,000 contributors, according to the House Democratic campaign committee.

But Wilson, who became an overnight hero to many conservatives, has also enjoyed a financial lift. He pulled in about $700,000, said a spokesman for the House Republican campaign committee.

Snared in a political firestorm, Wilson is fighting back. He posted an appeal for support and money on his campaign website that says “Joe Wilson is Under Attack — Stand with Joe Today.”

“I should not have disrespected the president during his speech. But I am not sorry for fighting back against the dangerous policies of liberal Democrats,” Wilson says in the spot.

“Will you stand with me today and help me fight back against liberal attacks by making a donation to my campaign?”

Reuters photo by Jim Young  (Wilson after yelling out “You Lie” during Obama’s speech Sept 9, 2009)

Comments
89 comments so far | RSS Comments RSS

Obama wanted a dialog. He got it and now that some starts a dialog by telling him that he is a liar the dialog is over. Sounds like typical Chicago politics to me.

Posted by Karl | Report as abusive

Karl, name calling isn’t a dialogue, it’s just name calling, something most people quit doing after they left the playground in grade school.

Posted by borisjimbo | Report as abusive

err, funny that when the black guy becomes president, congress can disrespect him during his speeches. sounds like racism to me.

Posted by reeblite | Report as abusive

This is to megan46:
Do you talk about me “uneducated” for disagreeing Obama? I am a college professor with PH.D. What do you have? Now, my employer contribute more than 8% to my health insurance, with Obamacare, my employer will onlt pay 8% to Obama and then push me to government run health care, which will ration my health care for sure in order to cut the “waste”. I shall for sure have less health care than now the Medicare which already worse than my health insurance now.
Obama said I can keep my insurance, Is the a lie? If you cannot see that, how good is your education? Don’t show your “uneducated”, next time, for your own good.

Posted by tim56 | Report as abusive

COME ON EVERYBODY!!!!
Of course Obama is lieing. He and all the czars, his cabinet are all playing from the Saul Alinski handbook. They belive that the end justifies the means. They are doing anything and everything to pass thier agenda. Think about it. Obama is on TV, talking about a healthcare bill that does not even exsist! He doesn’t write bill’s anyway and he rarely ever reads it. If you belive anything he says, you are a fool! Now that he has half the people in the country thinking that abortion, illegals, budget neutral is part of the plan, you can bet none of that will make it. After the bill is passed it will be too late. We will just have to live with it(or die with it) Then all our kids are going to be soo sadeled with debt. They will be slaves to taxes for generations. I weep for the future.

Posted by Linda Sterrett | Report as abusive

Anyone notice all the anti-Bush posts? Still talking about WMD and Iraq? Are these people caught in a time loop? Do they even know what the article was about?

And if you believe ‘Public Policy Polling’ has the race a tie, well, I can go into the polling business also. What was the result you wanted again?

Like the CNN poll after the speech when they polled 18% Republican and the rest Obama supporters. Yes, there is some valid polling. Nice try.

Posted by John Galt | Report as abusive

Notice Jeff at September 12th, 2009 10:34 am GMT

Because of Wilson he’s going to vacation in D.C. rather than a B&B in Charleston! Sure! The murder capital of the USA is nicer! What kind of a bullsheet artist are you Jeff? Real close to N.C. too, for that trip to the ‘niece’ who has a husband in Afganistan. Sure. What is he, a protester or with the NY Times? Geez, you lefists thing we will believe anything. Vacation in D.C. Hope you pack your Mac10 and crackpipe.

Posted by John Galt | Report as abusive

If I were to do what Joe did, I’d be tackled by a swat team. But it’s well known that politicians never get the full weight of law enforcement when they foul up.

On a lighter note, how about the looks on the faces of Biden and Pelosi? Pelosi’s jaw dropped like a lead weight while Biden lowered his head in shame.

I think Biden’s reaction was more appropriate. The entire legislative branch ought to be ashamed these days. Between vacationing during a fierce debate on healthcare and accepting bribes from corporate power brokers, there’s little to be proud of!

Posted by RH Pyle | Report as abusive

As someone born in SC, I continue to be saddened by the persistent view that others have of South Carolina. Unfortunately Joe Wilson confirmed the “hothead,” “angry white man,” Confederate-flag-waving, racist, view that many (most?) in our country have of South Carolina. When the Atlantic Coast Conference moved their baseball playoff tournament from SC recently (because of SC’s racist views), I knew that the state of my birth simply couldn’t seem to move into the 21st century with the potential it holds. Instead the Joe Wilsons of SC hold their beautiful state in the Confederacy of Dunes.

Posted by Dr. Julianne Still Thrift | Report as abusive

Sorry — I meant “the Confederacy of Dunces.”

Posted by Dr. Julianne Still Thrift | Report as abusive

To
Tim 56,
Try ESL (English as a second language)before posting any more comments, lest your political peers mistake you for one of those “undocumented” aliens who they are hate so much. PhD?

Posted by Patti | Report as abusive

South Carolina Republican Representative Joe Wilson has managed to bring incivility to an otherwise civil institution. The question remains, would Wilson have made such an outburst to a non-White President? His outburst may be regarded as uncivil a best, racist at worst.

Posted by Ruperto Perez | Report as abusive

South Carolina ranks 1st out of 50 states for violent crime, 1st for most mobile home units, 3rd highest for infant mortality, 4th for unemployment, 5th highest for traffic fatalities, 39th for residents with bachelor’s degrees, etc. These figures are from the Census Bureau. Don’t expect much from the people of South Carolina.

Posted by Jimjam | Report as abusive

I am sending Joe Wilson’s campaign every cent I can spare as soon as possible. A man who speaks the truth in the face of the arrogance and lies put forth by this fraudulent administration needs our wholehearted support.

Posted by jon brandon | Report as abusive

By the way, Mr. President…YOU LIE!

Posted by jon brandon | Report as abusive

Mr. Perez….I am so sick of the race card being dragged into everything! As for Mr. Wilson’s “outburst”, I do not condone it, but then again, was it any worse than the democrats booing President Bush during one of his first addresses to congress? Where was all of the hue and cry over that? Racism is not the issue. Remember also that Mr. Obama is every bit as white as he is black. And furthermore, we are no longer defined as black or white or yellow or brown, but as AMERICANS. It is time to remember that…..

Posted by K Lyon | Report as abusive

Wilson shouldn’t have disrespected the president but he told the truth. Wilson will now gain the support of more republicans in his home state. I hope others speak out as well. Where do I donate to his reelection campaign?

Go Joe!

Posted by Maria Sanchez | Report as abusive

I don’t remember hearing Obama apologizing for lying about the cost of the health reform. Or his association with the radical left. Or his appointment of numerous czars without Congressional oversight. Or___. Or___. Or___.

Posted by A Johnston | Report as abusive

The only difference here is that calling Bush a liar is in fact accurate. Bush lied about everything, most importantly WMD’s in Iraq, Bush lied and sent our soldiers into harms way. Iraq was an unnecessary war cause by the Neocon agenda, nearly a trillion dollars later, after the deaths of over 4,000 soliders and the countless devasting injuries Republicans still support the far right agenda that has nearly bankrupted our Country.

So Congressman Wilson, you should be ashamed of yourself. Your whole political life is a lie, you support the far right policies that have harmed our nation.

Posted by krsaz | Report as abusive

How can people be tricked into working against their own self-interest as the people who don’t want health reform. If you have insurance why is it going into the stratosphere in costs. It’s like telling our president I’m going to work against you helping me. It’s people who have deep fear and racial hatred who ascribe to these hysterical positions and triades. Shame on Wilson, a congressman, really,for sure, shame, shame.

Posted by Dorriss 62 | Report as abusive

Mr. Perez…the answer is that Mr. Wilson was no more racist than the Black Democrats booing Bush. Stop pointing the finger at racism…that is a crutch used by those who have no answer.

As for Mr. Obama….it’s time that he sits before an independent panel of questioners armed with HR 3200 to enable Americans to hear what’s in the bill and why, in some instances, Mr. Obama’s statements are either in error or he has only partially addressed an issue…..such as the illegal immigrants! The story there is no different than the illegal immigration law of 1986. Plenty of law but absolutely no funding to enforce a thing….that makes it “no law” and we end up with 15-20 million illegals sucking benefits from legal citizens. The illegals do not use insurance…they walk into ER’s at hospitals and they can not be turned away…by law! It’s time to get Mr. Obama on the “hot seat” and find the truth….this is far too important not to.

Posted by truthseeker | Report as abusive

would you please show me, prove to me that any democrat ever booed bush! that is an all out lie. i googled it because i did not want you to say i got it from the “liberal” factcheck” or “snopes”…..here’s the facts.

george bush was booed a lot, but NEVER, repeat NEVER by the democrats during a speech ever close to this.

you lies, are so easy to show for what they are. if you can’t even use the internet to find the truth, than don’t comment.

Posted by hobbes | Report as abusive

“John Galt”, we’re in Iraq in real time. There are still US service members being blown up by IEDs (Bush’s greatest contribution to modern language, a new term). There’s no time loop involved. Joe Wilson voted for going into Iraq, so he didn’t bother doing his due diligence in really checking the facts about Bush’s excuses for invading either. Because we’ve blown so much money, lives, and other political capital in that vast blunder, we’re handcuffed now about what we can do about real problems.

Posted by borisjimbo | Report as abusive

Joe may have been a little brash, but he was honest and to the point. All indications point out that he was only being truthful and a bit impulsive. What’s wrong with
politicians being honest? They should certainly try it more often.(it’s very becoming) The old double standard
is alive and well. Dems. get a life.

Posted by deborah gaskins | Report as abusive

If Obama was a Republican and a Democrat had shouted at him, that person would be put on trial by the Republicans. They would yell, cry and scream about this for years. Face it, the Republicans respect no other point of view but theirs. Their fear machine is working just fine. They have got this country of dweebs believing anything they spew. Just you wait, this Wilson will be their new poster boy for attacking the President. I love the fact that the Republicans feel a need to protect our country from lies. How many did Bush and Heir Chaney tell?

Posted by Frank | Report as abusive

Republicans lie all the time, And Wilson was lying too when he said to Obama “You lie”. There is no end to Republican lies, From WMD to recession, Bush had lied thousands of times.

Posted by Robert | Report as abusive

Funny how a mere 1 percent lead makes it look like Miller is trouncing Wilson. Don’t be fooled by these ACORN liberal left-wing COMMIE MoveOn.org based polls. Wilson will demolish Miller in next years election. The mainstream media distorts the truth everyday. Just look at yesterdays “Tea Parties” hundreds of thousands of demonstrators in Washington. Yet no coverage by CNN, ABC, NBC but if BHO speaks in front of 10,000 its allover the news. BHO has done more damage in 9 months than Bush ever did in 8 years. Your kids will be paying for his excessess the rest of their lives.

Posted by Frank Truth | Report as abusive

robert,do you think this is where Nancy got the habit from?

Posted by brian lee | Report as abusive

hello everyone
I am a lead repubilican who says continue to fight against the obamas. Reseist everything he does. We lost the election but we can revolt and bring back the white majority again. We dont care about america all we care about is big business and we want to bring back high gas prices. We dont care about health care either since the health care companies pay us to protest becuase they are scared becuase obama will try to bring down costs just like th gasoline prices too. We must protest and revolt to stop this we will lose money.
republican founder

Posted by repubicanfounder | Report as abusive

- Posted by hobbes

Yeah – he was just booed during the State of the Union Address. Not nearly as important as a health care rally.

Posted by Jen06 | Report as abusive

Joe Wilson voted for going into Iraq
- Posted by borisjimbo

And, I might add, so did 29 out of 50 Dems. What’s your point?

How quickly you have forgotten the:

The Iraq Liberation Act found that between 1980 and 1998 Iraq had:

1. committed various and significant violations of International Law,
2. had failed to comply with the obligations to which it had agreed following the Gulf War and
3. further had ignored Resolutions of the United Nations Security Council.

The Act declared that it was the Policy of the United States to support “regime change.” The Act was passed 360-38 in the U.S. House of Representatives [3] and by unanimous consent in the Senate. [4] US President Bill Clinton signed the bill into law on October 31, 1998. The law’s stated purpose was: “to establish a program to support a transition to democracy in Iraq.”

The Act was one of many reasons for the Iraq War. Learn your talking points – although if you’ve been repeating the same drivel for years, I don’t suppose you’ll start now.

Posted by Jen06 | Report as abusive

To Jen06 and anyone else trying to justify Wilson’s blatant disrespect for our U.S. President: Yelling, “You lie” just cannot be justified. In the history of the presidency, that has never happened in that setting by an elected official. Wilson represents one of the states of our country. And you should be ashamed of yourself for even attempting to compare it to anything else. The American people have spoken; Obama is our president, but many (primarily whites) are irritated by this historical presidency. They do not want to accept him as president – and yes, a big part of it is race. And those who think they are clever, will disguise their attacks as something else, but all in the name of fear. Over the years, I have disagreed with our presidential leaders, but I would NEVER paint pictures of them depicting them as Hitler simply because I disagree with them and I’d never make a threat to ANY U.S. President, first lady, AND children because I don’t like the president’s policies. These behaviors should NEVER be tolerated. The level of respect for Obama has been dismissed, and race is most definitely a factor – no matter how many of you are in DENIAL. Disagree all day long, but spreading deceipt to cause fear and chaos is morally wrong, and overtime, this will backfire on the people engaging in this irresponsible, low-leveled behavior.

Posted by Dejaye | Report as abusive

yes, put the confererate flag back up.
I am so sick of religous white bigots acting as if this country wasn’t PUT into the toilet by bush and his gang.
If you don’t want America to be a country of equlity, move and take your religous, southern, bigoted, corporate, insured pals with you.

Posted by itdoesntmatter | Report as abusive

Joe Wilson is showing me how arrogant he can be with all his comments about he apologized, and I won’t apologize again, attitude. First I feel that as a South Carolina resident, the people in politics for this state have shown just exactly what they are, boisterous, arrogant, and pompous. I guess Joe, can say to the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, that he lies, because as South Carolina politicians, they are perfect at lying, and disrespect. Just look at them, from our shamed Gov. Sanford, to our shamed state. What is next in their bag of tricks? We as a state are the laughing stock of all comedy shows, news shows, talk shows, and among our citizens! I for one would like the world to know not everyone in South Carolina is on Joe Wilson’s side. I am a republican who won’t vote Republican in the next election. As for Health Care Reform, I for one am for it. It must be realistic, affordable, and available.

Posted by MeMeR | Report as abusive

I am Native American; I can get free health care, free housing, and free money.
Mother Earth will not give you anything for FREE you must work for it and she will then help you prosper. Fish will not jump in your boat; the boat will not fall out of the tree, the tree will come to your feet.
If you climb half-way up the tree Mother Earth will have you a healthy apple waiting; wait for the apple to fall to you it will be rotten but FREE.
Though the last three presidents your rights have slowly been lined up to be taken away from you for FREE. What’s going on now was put in place long time ago. When you are made to have a tracking device to buy, eat, travel, and live you will know what the Native Americans know. “Never let Gov give it to you for FREE”
When you tell someone they are raciest with out learning who they are first; you need to look into your sprit and ask; Are you the one racially prejudiced? Blacks and Natives have the reason but not the right.
Please be let freedom come before FREE.

I am Native American; I can get free health care, free housing, and free money.
People of all races there is no such thing as FREE. Look at what FREE from the Gov has done for my people. Both sides Dem and Rep have helped keep my people down for FREE. Giving my people free heath care gives them no reason to do anything better. Life span is the lowest in the USA. There are many reasons why; FREE is just one.
Though the last three presidents your rights have slowly been lined up to be taken away from you for FREE. What’s going no now was put in place long time ago. When you are made to have a tracking device to buy, eat, travel, and live you will know what the Native Americans know. “Never let Gov give it to you for FREE”
Please be let freedom come before FREE.

I am Native American; I can get free health care, free housing, and free money.
Please be let freedom come before FREE.

If my spelling is off remember I went to free public native school and was told why learn you can get everything for free.

Posted by Lum | Report as abusive

Joe Wilson’s loutish outburst ought to get him bounced out of Congress. Period. If he wants to shout at people, he can buy a ticket to a WWE event or monster truck rally.

Posted by Demiurge | Report as abusive

Joe Wilson has once again proven that the truth is often more shocking than fiction. Joe has told the truth, and all the liberals are just shocked. Too bad more politicians aren’t like Joe.

Posted by The Truth | Report as abusive

republican founder?how long have you been in acorn? There IS a racial component in the election of Obama ,several friends of mine although republicans voted for him because he is black,why?because they are black as well.I had total agreement with their sentiment, it was a moving experience for them when he got elected.But in fairness to them they are embarrassed by the democratic use of the race card which is pulled out frequently when it is convenient to disguise the true facts about a situation.

Posted by brian lee | Report as abusive

Congress did boo bush at state of the union address. I would have to so what the difference.
I big O is better then lit bush but taking on the same path.

I am not a white boy or black. I know more black racist then white. I ask blacks do they like whites most men will only say they like only white women. Black women will say NO all together.
If I ask most whites they would say they like all people.
There are whites who don’t like black or anyone but just small percent.They die off more and more every day
Pulling the race card out every time because you can’t defend yourself any other way; shows education has replaced your common since.

Us native’s we don’t even like ourselves

Posted by lum | Report as abusive