Tales from the Trail

Sarah Palin is REALLY tired of Levi Johnston

October 28, 2009

Former Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin is striking back hard at her daughter’s ex-fiance, Levi Johnston, for what she called “mean-spirited, malicious and untrue attacks.”

Palin, and Johnston, who had a child out of wedlock with Palin’s daughter, Bristol, have been in a war of words since Levi and Bristol broke off plans to marry early this year.

Johnston appeared on CBS’ “Early Show” and repeated a charge he made in a recent Vanity Fair interview that Sarah Palin would often refer to her son with Down Syndrome, Trig Palin, as being “retarded.”

Watch CBS News Videos Online

Johnston also talked about his plans to appear nude in Playgirl magazine, saying it will be done tastefully.

“I’m not gonna just go out there and get naked,” he said.

All this comes as Palin prepares to issue her memoir next month, “Going Rogue, An American Life.” She resigned as Alaska governor last summer and remains popular with conservative voters after running as John McCain’s vice presidential candidate last year.

In a statement issued by her spokeswoman, Palin said she had tried to ignore the “mean spirited, malicious and untrue attacks on our family.” USA-POLITICS/PALIN

“We, like many, are appalled at the inflammatory statements being made or implied. Trig is our ‘blessed little angel’ who knows it and is lovingly called that every day of his life. Even the thought that anyone would refer to Trig by any disparaging name is sickening and sad,” she said.

She also criticized CBS for giving Johnston publicity.

“CBS should be ashamed for continually providing a forum to propagate lies. Consider the source of the most recent attention-getting lies — those who would sell their body for money reflect a desperate need for attention and are likely to say and do anything for even more attention,” she said.

Click here for more Reuters political coverage

Photo credit: Reuters/Matt Sullivan (Sarah Palin waves in front of daughter Bristol and son Trig in August 2008)

Comments
85 comments so far | RSS Comments RSS

He (Levi ) is a dirty one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by LOUIE | Report as abusive

Review the Sarah Palin acknowledged facts about the 48 hours leading to Trig’s birth. Her judgement was suspect then. I hope that kid is getting better at home than we see from the parents in public. The comments about Obama are off-topic, unless you desperate paranoids think he had something to do with Palin’s family problems. Counting back nine months, her problems pre-date Obama’s nomination.

Posted by george | Report as abusive

Like Vidal said Palin is just another in the long line of America’s idiot cult. How this person wins the adulation of a segment of America with precious little in the way of accomplishment or intellect is remarkable. I assume racially coded language like being a “hockey mom” is part of her appeal to America’s heartland.

Posted by Alabaster2 | Report as abusive

I think it is interesting that she talked family values and paraded her pregnant, teenage daughter, family members and Levi Johnston around, and now wants to say that he is selling out? Sarah Palin has spread so much hate and discontent with her remarks, she never finished the office she was elected to serve, not to mention the people of Alaska that she left hanging. As soon as she got her book deal she bailed, and the lure of future monies from speaking engagements is more like selling out than anything Levi Johnston could do. She is simply afraid of what he will say, which is probably more truthful than anything that has ever come out of her mouth. I wish she would just get rich, be quiet, go away and take Dick Cheney with her.

Posted by Mark | Report as abusive

As an Alaskan, I find it very hard as to why people believe the media and not the people from our community. Alaskans are VERY glad she dropped out/quit here. Sarah’s biggest problem is that she lacks saavy and maturity. IF she would just shut her mouth at opportunies that she cannot control, she wouldn’t be in the mess she is in, and keep some intellect about her. Unfortunately, there are those wno care not of the truths, but only vote party line.

Posted by Scott Bailey | Report as abusive

Most Americans are REALLY tired of Levi Johnston and Sarah Palin.

Posted by NotJerrySpringer | Report as abusive

LOL, he’s on tv because he says controversial things. kind of the reason Glen Beck is on the air. it doesnt matter if it is true or not, if it gets ratings, and makes news than the media will load it up. He’s trying to make money, just like how Palin resigned from governor of alaska, so she could make some easy money. Money for nothing, Palin, Johnston, insurance companies, investment bankers. route of all evil? yeah i think so. I dont think the “liberal machine” is perpetuating this because Palin is not really a political threat to anybody, I mean had Romney been the vp nominee mcain probably would have won. Think about it elephants!

Posted by Kevin | Report as abusive

I am amused by those that think Sarah Palin scares anyone. She is entertaining. Exactly what are her qualifications that make some of you think she is presidential material? I personally think is was McCain’s choice of her as running mate that cost him the election. Is Alaska better off because she was governor? I think not.

Hey Levi: Go for it! You have the body and the looks and the Ladies will love admiring you.
Get the money, further your education, whether it be in school or in the movies or on TV, and take advantage of the opportunities afforded you. McCain erred in selecting Palin. He made sure he lost the election by selecting Palin. But because of it you have been given a great opportunity to be known in the world.
I applaud you for speaking out about Palin. The verbal abuse by Palin directed towards you and your family is unbecoming and downright cruel. It will all come back to bite her.
Tune her out Levi AND GO FORTH AND PROSPER! jACKSON

Posted by Jackson | Report as abusive

I thought Levi is a father. This is the example of living, of character, he is adding to history for his child to one day read? He needs to get out of the spotlight and “sit down” for awhile…..learn what it really means to be a father so he can become one, a good one, and, one day, make his child truly proud of him. Loose lips sink ships……and his lips are way too loose, regardless of right and wrong. Character should be more important. I hope he realizes that soon and embraces the right stuff. Please, Levi, think of your child – first, and not yourself. You’ll be glad you did.

Posted by Ellie | Report as abusive

I think both Levi Johnston and Sarah Palin are a little too naive for the national platform. They should both retreat to moose hunting, seriously!

Posted by Timo | Report as abusive

I’m from Alaska but could never vote for Sarah Palin. However, I think it’s crazy that anyone pays any attention to Levi Johnston. He is basically giving up any chance of ever having a good relationship with his son. Shame on him.

Posted by Suzanne | Report as abusive

Sarah Palin is an embarrassment to her party and to our country. It’s a sad day when people like her can actually run for president and get votes, albeit only the crazy 25%. Idiocracy wasn’t a good movie, but it definitely describes the Fox Nation.

Posted by James | Report as abusive

Palin is a dumb-ass…she says “those who would sell their body for money reflect a desperate need for attention and are likely to say and do anything for even more attention.”

HELLOOOOOO SARAHHHHH…you were a beauty queen, what were you doing, trying to sell girl scout cookies?

This guy is just taking advantage of the situation presented to him, but still seems like an idiot. For those Palin supporters who actually think she has a shot in ’12, are you kidding me? She is a quiter. She quit to chase the money trail. Also, to Denise in Alaska, you must be drinking the koolaid that is about 4 years past expiration.

I think Levi is right to speak his mind. Why is is shocking to find out that there’s a huge gulf between the public persona that Palin puts out there and the reality of who she is & what she actually does.

She quit was a recluse governor to begin with, mostly staying at home (and charging the state for a per diem) and then quit when she found out she could make a few bucks stapleing her name to a book. Forget about Presidential timber – she isn’t even a match stick.

Posted by Tookie Lewis | Report as abusive

Just goes to show, you lie with dogs, your bound to get flea’s!

Posted by John K | Report as abusive

So what does this guy work at? Is he paying child support? Is he going to be a real dad, or is he going to be a deadbeat dad? Those are the important questions.

It seems rather Heeneish to be outing yourself in this way. So he’s a handsome guy, so what. Good looks doesn’t necessarily equate to a good character or bright soul.

BTW, Mrs. Palin speaking of propagating lies is the rusted pot calling the kettle black…

So Sarah, I am REALLY REALLY tired of you!

Posted by cwm | Report as abusive

Prediction: Levi’s next move- Professional Wrestling, stage name MooseBagger

Posted by Adam12 | Report as abusive

From Page 1

” I guess her sin was thinking she could run for VP in this sexist pathetic country where lecherous men like David Letterman and Bill Clinton prey on their female employees with wanton abandon, and deadbeat dads appear on morning shows to dish lies.”

Quote from Nicole C

For those of your attacking Levi for how he’s treating Sarah’s daughter need to do a little research on how John McCain treated his first wife.

I’d rather have my daughter treated the way David Letterman or Bill Clinton treat women than John McCain any day of the week (not that any are good, but if i had to choose).

Levi is doing the same thing Sarah is doing, profiting from his fame, no big deal.

Posted by Michael Ham | Report as abusive

Americans are tired of the Wasilla Hillbillies Show. Please, let them all fade into their well deserved obscurity.

Posted by getplaning | Report as abusive

Political censorship is alive and well.

Posted by infohunter | Report as abusive

Most reasonable people realize Johnston is only trying to extend his quickly fleeting 15 minutes of fame by tearing down Palin. Most see through it and give the underachiever little credibility. Most, but not Palin. Palin is so void of common sense and lacks such clear judgment she can’t see by taking on Johnston in the public she adds to his credibility.

Even with this glaring lack of judgment, Palin wants us to believe she has the wisdom, temperance, and self control to lead the free world.

Yes it is true I can’t get off the Jerry Springer show fighting with the redneck father of my grandbaby, but I still want to lead you.

Palin’s attacks on Johnston are as un-presidential as you can get. You say but Levi started it? OK Palinbots, this is not the third grade.
THE ALASKA STANDARD

Posted by DEO | Report as abusive

You’re a pathetic idiot Michael Ham. McCain’s first wife still considers John her best friend and endorsed him for president. Why do you feel the need to slime both of them and Pain with your dastardly lie?

Posted by Prospector | Report as abusive

It is unbelievably creepy that CBS would give airtime to Levi Johnson. He doesn’t merit local news coverage. Same goes for Playgirl; Levi isn’t in the top million as a candidate for a photo-shoot.

This is pure, partisan hatred. There’s far too much of that — on both sides (and in the comments here). The last 3 presidents have been seriously damaged by all this hatred and the current one is on the same track. Is this a good thing? Do you want to see this presidency destroyed?

Posted by Frederick Michael | Report as abusive

I hate the word, “Idiot”, but it seems to describe 2 sub-cultures in our country these days. Those who have an elitist attitude and have crossed over into a state of mentally handicapped and the other who can’t make a statement without an expletive. Both seem to be on the same political side. I’m embarrassed at the constant breakdown of our society. You continue to lower our collective standards with your lack of virtue & moral compass. I’m speaking to those of you who cheer lead the kind of behavior of Levi Johnston while shooting down Sarah Palin. I find you the most narrow minded, loader voiced bigots of all.

Posted by Kelly | Report as abusive

and, yes, I didn’t catch the misspelled word “louder”

Posted by Kelly | Report as abusive

So Ms Palin should somehow just “put up & shut up” no matter who says what about her family? Mr Johnston is a famemonger, pure and simple. No one can use you without your consent. If he didn’t want to be a part of her circus, then he shouldn’t have impregnated the trapeze artist. He made his bed a long time ago, and is now trying to sell the sheets.

As for the requisite Pain-bashing which seems to accompany any story about her–or not, I’m reminded of what Dennis Miller says about Sarah Palin: “The reason I like her is because she drives the people I can’t stand nuts!” To that end, I hope she’s around to fulfill that mission for the next twenty years.

Posted by RSG | Report as abusive

It’s a circus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZE34gc1F aY

Posted by InnocentBystander | Report as abusive

I don’t get it. How is Mrs. Palin engaging in a “war of words”? She released one statement through a third party after months of media stories about this creep. That’s not a war of words, that’s just good taste.

If Levi were a young woman trying to take advantage of a male politician, the media wouldn’t give her the time of day.

It is sad that Levi is spending his ten minutes of fame on lies gossip and downright slander. The Palens no doubt welcomed him into their home not knowing how thirsty for fame he really was. I wouldn’t want a spy sitting at my dinner table on an off night.
He WILL go away. He thinks he is going to get a big movie career out of this. He may have a pretty face but he is STUPID for trying to hurt a family just to get on t.v.

A sincere rise to honorable fame is generally earned with intelligence, good judgement and wanting to make a difference that can be achieved with the influence of education….and surrounding yourself with good friends and family.
Levi is an excellent example of the opposite. He possesses great ignorance and lack of maturity. I think Levi “lacks the ‘genes’” to be a man. I used to read Playgirl mag, however I will not buy another copy. Seeing Levi in Playgirl would not be a sight I’d wish upon anyone. If he were my son, I’d spank him. He might be able to understand that action. Levi and the ballon boy’s father ought to get together. They come from the same mold.

Posted by Louise | Report as abusive

I didnt hear you all calling out when it came out obut mr sleeze letterman you all even let this creep get away with verbally sexually assaulting the 13 year old daughter of Palins the audience laughed I am glad it is not happening to the Biden kids or the Obama kids I living in Australia wonder what is happening to Americans you have your soldiers fighting for this wake up dont watch mr creepy and ignore levi he is youg and silly but stand up for common decency ..

And I am seriously TIRED of Sarah Palin……