Tales from the Trail

Get ready, America: Here comes Sarah Palin

November 11, 2009

USA-ELECTION/Get ready, America. Like her or not, Sarah Palin is coming to a city near you.

Last year’s Republican vice presidential nominee is starting a book tour next week to promote her memoir, “Going Rogue: An American Life.”

Is it a thinly-veiled bid to test the waters for a possible 2012 Republican presidential bid, or simply an effort to make money and cement her celebrity status?

Only time will tell.

For now, the opening stops of her tour in Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Virginia, North Carolina, Alabama and Florida, could be valuable if she later decides to run.

So far she is steering clear of major cities, going to smaller places like Fort Bragg, North Carolina, home of one of the biggest military bases in the country.

“I’ve decided to stop in cities that are not usually included in a typical book tour,”  Palin said this week on her Facebook page.

For the whole story click here.

Click here for more Reuters political coverage

Photo credit: Reuters/Mike Blake (Palin when Republican vice presidential nominee in November 2008)

Comments
22 comments so far | RSS Comments RSS

It is good to see how she riles the progressive liberals, and watching the Hollywood celebrity dragging the guy who impregnated her daughter up and down Sunset Bld, because of their hatred of her, must be such a wonderful encouragement.But what most of us on the right take from this, is what we already knew,the enlightened liberals deep down are the biggest haters of us all!

Posted by brian lee | Report as abusive

I’m 77 and been a moderate Republican for all my life. That woman is a disgrace. Her politics are nothing but hate and lies.

Posted by Gracie Harris | Report as abusive

I think she is an ispiration to all the soccer moms out there.If you can read prepared speeches and repeat lame talking points adnauseum,you too can be a devisive tool.I on the other hand applaud her cashing in on her laughable vp run.Thanks mccain camp.Obama thanks you too.

Posted by mike s | Report as abusive

If there ever was a serious thought in Sarah Palin’s head, or an idea worth repeating, no one has ever heard about it, despite all the fuss generated by this misbegotten ‘book’. Will somebody, somewhere please tell this woman to shut up? We have so many public examples of ignorance and social hatred in the political spectrum of our country today, it is unconscionable to add a further burden.
Of course, that’s what sells newspapers, feeds blogs, and keeps the talk radio gasbags blathering.

Posted by kuyashi | Report as abusive

Brian, there are very few people or things that I hate, eggplant probably tops the list, maybe okra. You have always seemed like a reasonable person when you’re not spouting things straight from the Glenn Beck show, yes I listen to Beck. I can’t speak for any other “liberals” but can tell you that I don’t hate Sarah Palin, who hates a joke?
Even at the peak of protests against Bush did the left use the language being used by right wing radio. Beck, Limbaugh, O’Reilly and the rest while under the guise of being patriotic questioners of Obama have done more to spread hate and division than I’ve ever seen from the left. Do you remember when people were questioning Bush, right wing radio called us traitors and terrorist sympathizers. Who is spreading the hate Brian?

Posted by Eric H | Report as abusive

Well, I see that Mrs Palin continues to drive so-called ‘moderate’ republicans (aka Democrats) and Liberals quite insane. The word that they just cannot bring themselves to utter is ‘Conservative’. Instead they resort to using terms like ‘right wing”. I am unsure about Mrs Palin but I have followed her career and have never heard her “hate and lies”. Repeated polls have shown that Americans are either conservative or center-right. The last general election reflected a successful anti-Bush media campaign and war fatigue,. together with policial drivel about hope and change (aka same old Democratic nonsense). 2010 cannot come quickly enough. Will Mrs Palin run in 2012 and could she win? Who knows. However, her critics would do well to recall that similar ridicule was heaped on Ronald Reagon for years and yet …..

Posted by Gerry Zephania | Report as abusive

Palin 2012? I hope she’s watched the new GOP marketing video:

(satire)

It is alarming to see the respect given to Sarah Palin…an uneducated, uncultured, vain, arrogant, opportunist, quitter!…a woman who never sees her commitments through, parades her unmarried, pregnant teen age daughter in front of media millions as an example for teens to follow, publicizes her prowess as a sure-shot as an animal killer from a helicopter, puts her teen daughter’s impregnator in the limelight and after she no longer needed to show him as an “All American Boy”, threw him out of her home and her daughter and grandchild’s life. Republican, Democrat, Liberal, Independent…whatever a decent mother votes…shame on you for supporting a bad example of womanhood. Buy her ghost written book? Why would you?

May Sarah keep going, keep talking, because her message is the one that my family and I want to hear. We want her to be our next president. I am only 44, a life-long Republican, and I believe that Sarah has the right ideals to get this country back on track. Her politics are about hope and reality. The liberal Democrats in this country are taking us down the road to socialism. Sarah will put us back down the road to prosperity.

Posted by Danielle S | Report as abusive

The country is certainly growing weary of moderates. And I vote for conservativism…you know, the kind that protects freedoms, speaks God’s name in reverence, and follows the 10 commandments and golden rule…these are, darlings, the values America was founded on. I know you don’t think so, but they are…pick up any old document and read the opening or closing. Look at ALL the State preambles. Look at the dollar in your pocket.
Just read a touching story of how and why the American flag is folded…each fold represents something. You should check it out:
The first fold of our flag is a symbol of life.

The second fold is a symbol of our belief in the eternal life.

The third fold is made in honor and remembrance of the veteran departing our ranks who gave a portion of life for the defense of our country to attain a peace throughout the world.

The fourth fold represents our weaker nature, for as American citizens trusting in God, it is to Him we turn in times of peace as well as in times of war for His divine guidance.

The fifth fold is a tribute to our country, for in the words of Stephen Decatur, “Our country, in dealing with other countries, may she always be right; but it is still our country, right or wrong.”

The sixth fold is for where our hearts lie. It is with our heart that we pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

The seventh fold is a tribute to our Armed Forces, for it is through the Armed Forces that we protect our country and our flag against all her enemies, whether they be found within or without the boundaries of our republic.

The eighth fold is a tribute to the one who entered in to the valley of the shadow of death, that we might see the light of day, and to honor mother, for whom it flies on mother’s day.

The ninth fold is a tribute to womanhood; for it has been through their faith, love, loyalty and devotion that the character of the men and women who have made this country great have been molded.

The tenth fold is a tribute to father, for he, too, has given his sons and daughters for the defense of our country since they were first born.

The eleventh fold, in the eyes of a Hebrew citizen, represents the lower portion of the seal of King David and King Solomon, and glorifies, in their eyes, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

The twelfth fold, in the eyes of a Christian citizen, represents an emblem of eternity and glorifies, in their eyes, God the Father, the Son, and Holy Ghost.

When the flag is completely folded, the stars are uppermost, reminding us of our national motto, “In God we Trust.”

Posted by D =) | Report as abusive

Definitely. Anyone who gets so many people freaking out probably has something interesting to say. It’s the same reason I listened to Ozzy when people wanted to ban his music. It turned out to be not what the people slagging him said it was and was pretty good.

She must worry some people who don’t like free speech, so such people are always worth a listen.

Posted by Jersey Dave | Report as abusive

I can understand when there was a possibility of Sarh Palin actually being VP why that would scare people into going after her. But she has been exposed. She probably generates more votes for Democrats than anyone but President Obama. So I’d say lay off of her. If someone like her wants to make a buck by selling a book, let her. Her vitriol is not in the same league as Coulter, Limbaugh and Beck. While her involvement generates votes, enthusiasm, and money for a candidate, it generates more of each for the opponent.

Posted by John | Report as abusive

You can’t keep a good person down…Marxists beware!

I’m a Ron Paul campaign donater, and I voted for Obama because I oppose the continued use of oil and the wars and military blood spilled to keep that oil cheap.

But I don’t hate Sarah Palin. I’m embarrassed by her, as I am embarrassed by anyone who is doing public speaking and they make a mistake.

She may have all the right things in her head, but they seem to be stuck getting out the door in the correct order.

I hope she makes good money with the book so her 15 minutes of fame can at least compensate her for the embarrassing VP run.

I think McCain just wanted a hottie on the plane when his beauty-queen wife couldn’t be around, and I don’t blame him one bit. He couldn’t win, so he could at least have some fun.

Posted by Earl_E | Report as abusive

I love it. Hopefully half of all the people who hate or bash her will get a complex, or maybe even better, have mental breakdowns. Oh how great it would be if where not filled with their nonsense :)

Wait a minute. To have a mental breakdown, you need to have some brains first. Dang, there goes my “Hope and Change”.

Does she even know what the word “Rogue” means? Not at all flattering or descriptive of the President that I would support.

Posted by Dave | Report as abusive

I have noticed that the Palin haters are the same ones who have Bush derangement syndrome. Most of them never had an original thought in their life. They simply switch targets in a never ending quest to blame someone else for why they are so messed up. Very sad.

Posted by Alan L | Report as abusive

Looks like Florida has a chance to meet a real American.

Posted by J W | Report as abusive

I’m waiting for the Playboy spread. There’s money to be made Sarah.

Posted by Johnny | Report as abusive

No, I will not be reading it. What in the world could she write that is worth reading? I am sure she has some good qualities; nevertheless, intellect is not one of them.

Posted by Franc | Report as abusive

I don’t plan on attending her visit to my state. I just do not see her offering anything that is actually relevant, and to be frank about this, she seems to be riding this popularity wave as far as it will go, taking any opportunity to stay in the spotlight. After leaving office, what else is there to do but write books and stand on your soapbox before the media and the public shift their ever-moving attention on something more novel.

Posted by John M | Report as abusive

ahe puplic lright, lets get to the crux of the matter. the longer you keep this b—– in the public eye, the more she sees herself as a somebody. when in fact she is a nobody made into a somebody by the republican party, and the press just keep feeding us, her! if they never put her nme in an article gain, showed her on tv again, a talk show, a book signing, whose book would make me throw-up just looking at it. read it??????????????????y i’m crqazy, your an idiot, have a nice day

Posted by richard | Report as abusive