Obama fights off high cholesterol with stroll to White House

March 1, 2010

OBAMA/Barack Obama does not appear pleased that his cholesterol is borderline high.

The lanky U.S. president, who carries 180 pounds on a 6-foot-1-inch frame, got the word on Sunday that he needed to reduce his “bad” cholesterol levels from 138 to 130 through changes in his diet.

So the basketball-buff took a walk — from a speech at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce back to the White House, a short distance away.

Joking with reporters who asked about his health while he strolled, Obama said he needed to work off  “some of that cholesterol,” a problem he seemed to blame on his diet during the 2008 presidential campaign.

“That’s a year of campaigning right there,” he said.

Obama’s spokesman, Robert Gibbs, said dessert options at the White House were the real culprit. OBAMA/

“I think he would be also the first to tell you that he has probably had a few more cheeseburgers and I think he would admittedly tell you he’s had more desserts in the last year than I’ve seen him eat prior to this,” Gibbs told reporters.

“Those guys make good desserts over there and I think he’s on more than one occasion sampled more than he needed to,” Gibbs said, referring to White House chefs.

Diet was not on the agenda at the Chamber of Commerce, where Obama joined General Colin Powell, a Republican who endorsed Obama’s candidacy in 2008, and wife Alma Powell for an event to combat high drop-out rates in U.S. high schools.

For more Reuters political news, click here

Photo credit: Reuters/Larry Downing (Obama walks to White House), Reuters/Kevin Lamarque (Michelle Obama talks with White House chefs)

I think Michelle Obama and her controlling ways are causing her whole family way too much stress. No wonder they are all over eating. She really needs a chill pill!

Posted by sissystatkus | Report as abusive

They all look pretty trim to me. Maybe a smart, attractive, gently outspoken African-American First Lady is causing the tea-brains way too much stress.

Posted by Yellow105 | Report as abusive

Yellow.

Why are you obsessed with her being an African-American? I only see a First Lady.

Posted by TyC | Report as abusive

Yeah, sure.

Posted by Yellow105 | Report as abusive

Yellow

So, are you going to answer your obsession with her race?

Posted by TyC | Report as abusive

TyC- I said she was a smart, attractive, gently outspoken African-American First Lady. Does this also mean I am obsessed with smart people? Or attractive people? Or outspoken people?

You are an idiot. Stop harassing people.

Posted by Yellow105 | Report as abusive

Yellow.

You are quite the hypocrite for someone who harasses others.

It would be nice if you would actually contribute something that adds to the debate. Once thing I will give getplaning credit for is that he at least provides information that is worth thinking about. You don’t. You are 100 percent emotional and provide nothing to any issue.

BTW, yes you are obsessed with smart, attractive and outspoken people. Otherwise, you wouldn’t be bothering me with your emotional diatribes.

Oh, and there you go again mentioning the race of someone. I thought we were supposed to be a colorblind society? But we must not be because progressives like you and Hardballs Chris Matthews can’t seem to get if off your minds…

Have a nice day.

Posted by TyC | Report as abusive

TyC- I said she was a smart, attractive, gently outspoken African-American First Lady. You are the one who kept your post centered on race only, not me. I suggest you take a long, hard look in the mirror.

Posted by Yellow105 | Report as abusive

Yellow.

I have never characterized anyone by their race. But you progressives do.

I was just asking you why you are obsessed with race and you never answered the question.

Posted by TyC | Report as abusive

Hey, Yellow. I see the Front Row Washington Bridge Troll has singled you out for a change.

My advice–ignore him. He is coming unhinged.

Posted by getplaning | Report as abusive

Back to normal for you getplaning after you ran from the discussion on the economy.

Posted by TyC | Report as abusive

I didn’t run, you crazy internet stalker, I made a fool of you and got tired of you repeating the same nonense over and over. You really are an unhinged nut.

Now I see you are trying to imply that Yellow105 here is some kind of obsessed racist. You, who thinks signs picturing Obama as The Joker or a witch doctor are just normal everyday political discourse.

You are contemptible.

Posted by getplaning | Report as abusive

Thanks for the information.

Anyone want to contribute to the debate by commenting on the article?

Posted by TyC | Report as abusive

Sure. This smart, attractive, gently outspoken African-American First Lady is causing TyC way too much stress.

Posted by Yellow105 | Report as abusive