Tales from the Trail

Rielle’s reality on the Johnny affair

March 15, 2010

Her belly button is showing. And that’s not all that’s revealed by Rielle Hunter in a GQ interview.

She’s the other woman who had the child that former presidential candidate John Edwards admitted fathering. That was of course after his former aide, Andrew Young, claimed to be the father to protect Edwards and then wrote a tell-all book about the cover-up. Edwards and his cancer-stricken wife, Elizabeth, have since separated.

The April issue of GQ points out that all those players in the Edwards soap opera have had their public say except for the woman at the center of the storm… until now.

One rumor denied: “I am not engaged.”

Reaction to John and Elizabeth separating: “Shocking.”

She calls Edwards  “Johnny” throughout the lengthy piece and declares: “I love Johnny and I love my daughter more than anything in the world.”

One of the photos decorating the GQ spread is of Hunter in a men’s-style shirt bare-legged on a bed. CNN has raw video of the photo shoot, courtesy of the magazine.

The Daily Beast describes a sex video allegedly of the couple based on accounts from multiple people who have viewed it.

For those who wonder how politician after politician ends up in a sex scandal (do they learn nothing from their predecessors?) it’s apparently not because they’re clueless. The GQ interview shows that Edwards was actually completely aware that an affair could hurt his chances for the White House.

On their first “extraordinary night” together Hunter says that Edwards told her: “Falling in love with you could really f–k up my plans for becoming President.” USA-POLITICS/EDWARDS-WITHDRAW

But he did it anyway.

Hunter says she’s living in a rental and Edwards is not the landlord. But John and Elizabeth Edwards bought a house in Charlotte that they apparently thought would be a good place for Hunter’s daughter, Quinn, to live in, she says. “They wanted to rent it to us, and I couldn’t afford it. We do not live in the house, nor do we have any plans to move into it.”

And the trials and tribulations of  being a mistress are unveiled. “Being a mistress was not easy for me. It was a huge learning experience,” Hunter says, insisting that she did not target Edwards.

“If Johnny was working at a gas station, I would still be in love with him,” she says.

“My stint as a mistress ended July 2008. And then our relationship evolved into something different,” Hunter says referring to when the National Enquirer got wind of  Edwards visiting her and their child at a hotel.

When John and Elizabeth Edwards renewed their wedding vows, John knew Hunter was pregnant, she says.

And if anyone has ever wondered why the other woman would believe a man that has lied to his wife, here’s a clue:

Hunter insists that despite Johnny lying to his wife, family and country, “He doesn’t lie to me. He discloses everything to me.”

Photo credit: Reuters/Lee Celano (Edwards withdrawing from the presidential race Jan. 30, 2008)

Comments
20 comments so far | RSS Comments RSS

Reuters again displays the conservative double standard– sex scandals just aren’t interesting when they involve Republicans.

John Edwards hasn’t served in public office in any capacity for six years, and yet every imaginable detail of his sex scandal continues to get an enormous amount of attention from the GOP Media Complex.

Sen. John Ensign (R, naturally) of Nevada is caught in a truly humiliating sex scandal — and remember, the media generally loves political sex scandals — involving a shameless hypocrite, who ran on a “family-values” platform, committing adultery with one of his own aides, who happens to be married to another aide. The scandal involves the immediate affair, plus alleged ethics violations, hush money, and official corruption that gets worse and worse as the details slowly emerge.

And yet, no media frenzy. No reporters staked out in front of Ensign’s home. No op-eds speculating about the need for Ensign to resign in disgrace

There’s your objective, unbiased media for you.

Posted by getplaning | Report as abusive

John Edwards ran for president, that’s what makes his story intriguing.

Massa was in a congressional shower with the naked Rahm Emmanuel. That alone generates lots of news. Massa also went out screaming and thus generated another news story. Hey, people want to know.

Ensign…who?

My point is compared to Edwards and Massa, no one even knows who Ensign is.

Is it right or wrong? I have already stated my opinion that what’s wrong is wrong and what’s right is right and parties don’t matter.

However, Edwards and Massa have put themselves into a position to generate news. Nothing more, nothing less.

BTW, putting aside what each of them did, the FAMILY VALUES issue is the correct platform to have.

There are bad apples in each party and people from both party say and do things they should be ashamed of.

I do understand that a person without a soul will see it in purely political terms. They are better known as empty vessels.

Posted by TyC | Report as abusive

I couldn’t have said it better than you just did, TC.

Edwards and Massa have put themselves into a position to generate news, while Ensign, Vitter, and Sanford have done nothing of the sort. As you say, Ensign who?

Not a single article about Ensign’s scandal in months. On Eric Massa’s scandal? Eight articles in 30 days. On John Edwards? Seven articles since Jan. 1st.

Oh, wait, what about the Sunday shows? Despite the NEWSWORTHY new evidence published this week, the total number of references yesterday to Ensign on the five major Sunday morning shows was zero–literally, none.

This isn’t about which party is holier than the other despite your best efforts to spin it that way. I wouldn’t expect anything less from a partisan political hack. This is about how the Corporate Media covers or ignores it.

Posted by getplaning | Report as abusive

I am not spinning anything. Even though you are incapable of understanding a person who stands on principle, that is exactly what this is all about.

I could care less about the party. I could care less about message. I do care about what is right and what is wrong. It is really that simple. It really does not matter that you can understand or believe me, but it is a fact and it not a debatable issue. You do not determine why I have my views. But you can give your opinion no matter how wrong you are…and you are wrong.

Yes, Ensign is not the national star Edwards and Massa (only because he made himself a target….loud and clear…) are. The people you mention are a dime a dozen in the republican and democrat parties….boring….No wonder it is zero. No one cares about him because he is not a national star and he hasn’t pulled a Massa by screaming about this and that.

You can try to make this an issue, but it really doesn’t matter. It is what it is and what it has been since the dawn of politics. You act like all of this is new.

However, you can do yourself a favor by looking at the big picture rather than on your blatantly partisan attack against everything republican. If you did, then you would realize that members of each party equally commit these sins. It’s a fact of life and the crimes the democrats commit are equal to the breaking family values message some republicans commit. At least Ensign didn’t break the law. I named several democrats who did break the law by paying prostitutes or soliciting sex from minors.

You have no soul which makes you an empty vessel. You are not capable of knowing right from wrong.

Posted by TyC | Report as abusive

Whoops. What I meant to say was that the crimes the democrats have committed are worse than the breaking family values message some republican commit.

The criminal activity is worse than just breaking a message.

Ensign did not solicit sex from minors or pay a prostitute. A lot of democrats have.

But in my view they are all worthy of leaving office. Not just the ones from one party.

Spin away…

Posted by TyC | Report as abusive

TC. I have really come to pity you lately. The only principle you stand on is your deep abiding hatred for anything that represents critical reasoning. Hence your black and white “I am right and you are always wrong” position on every single topic we discuss on this forum. You are incapable of seeing anything in any terms other than left vs. right, conservative vs. liberal, you vs. everyone else. And, again, you have jumped on this thread to attack me, not to comment on the subject.

I will take your inability to comment on the facts in my post as your admission that it is I who is right, and you who has nothing to offer.

Posted by getplaning | Report as abusive

*I who am right, and you who has nothing to offer.*

Posted by getplaning | Report as abusive

There you go, when you lose the argument on principle all you can do is interject a personal diatribe against someone who is an honest broker.

I provide you a rational debate and you do not like it. And in the end, you make stuff up because you really do not have all the answers. You can not comprehend that there are other sides to any story you make up to bolster your side.

Go ahead and keep looking in the mirror at yourself as you try to tell me who I am, but it is really you. Here is what you said about you:

“You are incapable of seeing anything in any terms other than left vs. right, conservative vs. liberal, you vs. everyone else.”

That is you in as clear a picture as you can paint about yourself.

I have no idea why you think what you say is gospel. You have always cherry picked my information when you know the majority of what i say is indisputable fact. And you continue to do so.

You don’t have a soul that is why you continue to pick on the side you hate so much and ignore the sins of the other side. You ignore it, because you don’t see that humans are humans who are all sinners.

So your insistence that the sins of a few republicans is worse than any sin (oh, you don’t recognize it…sorry) of any democrat.

You are not capable of rational discussion because you are blind and without a soul.

Posted by TyC | Report as abusive

Again, I take your inability to comment on the facts in my post as your admission that it is I who am right, and you who has nothing to offer. My comments were directed at the media, not which party is holier than the other.

But since you have no argument with me there, you attempt to hijack the thread with an emotional diatribe about sinners and legalities, and more personal attacks.

I rest my case.

Posted by getplaning | Report as abusive

You can rest anything you want to. I don’t really care.

By your diatribes, it is apparent you proclaim yourself the moderator for any and all debates where someone legitimately has a different viewpoint from your own.

It is well known by now you are someone who works hard to destroy others when you don’t get your pouty little way.

Sorry not to be your patsy. However, you are an empty vessel who doesn’t have a soul.

I always appreciate anyone who will debate and agree to disagree. Unfortunately, your ego gets the best of you and you think anything you write is gospel no open to debate…

I discuss topics rationally looking at the whole picture. You however limit any discussion to those evil republicans and you will not turn your head the other way to see the wrong your progressive friends do.

You are an empty vessel without a soul. That cannot be emphasized enough.

Posted by TyC | Report as abusive

TyC- God, what hate-filled tirades. Your obsession with Getplaning is really disturbing.

“Despite new revelations pointing to possible illegalities, Reuters hasn’t run a single article about Ensign’s scandal in months. On Eric Massa’s scandal? Eight articles in 30 days. On John Edwards? Seven articles since Jan. 1st.

There’s your objective, unbiased media for you”

This was about the media. Any FOOL reading it should be able to figure it out.

Posted by Yellow105 | Report as abusive

Yellow.

Back off jack.

Just like getplaning, you are only reading and destroying someone who is giving an honest view of this issue and blindly following someone who is a hardcore partisan hack. You two make a great team.

Unfortunately, you have never offered anything of substance.

But it is interesting how you talk about the media ignoring republicans. I don’t suppose you remember Mr. Foley from Florida, who was on the media stage for a month and ended up resigning. No, I didn’t think you would remember that inconvenient fact.

Then there is Mr. Livingston who had his hopes to become Speaker of the House dashed. He was a republican, the news latched on to that story and he resigned.

Then there Mr. West, Mayor of Spokane, who was on all the major news outlets for his sex scandal. He was a republican and he resigned too. I brought him up because he was only a mayor and yet the major news covered his story anyway.

So, my point is that you will look no further than you partisan nose, but it goes both ways. Both parties have had their share of scandal, both parties have had their share of the limelight. Both parties have people who have not resigned. Both parties have had their share of people who have not resigned.

Therefore, the rational and fair analysis of this discussion is that everyone sins and both parties have done their party and the American people wrong.

Yellow, I get the media angle. Unfortunately, you are not able to understand that some stories are just not that interesting. Edwards and Massa made themselves targets.

Past news stories on similar sins have most certainly shown republicans with more media coverage than you will admit to. Unfortunately, you turn a blind eye on those facts because you are blindly partisan.

Posted by TyC | Report as abusive

Yeah, we are blindly partisan, but you are not, right? How many times have others on these boards pointed out your blind partisanship? More than one or two. I suppose they are all empty vessels who lack souls too?

Posted by Yellow105 | Report as abusive

Yellow,

Your response is all I needed.

Have a nice day. I proved my point that scandals like these are both reported by the media and both are a black eye on their respective party as well as the American people.

As usual, you have nothing to offer….nothing…

Posted by TyC | Report as abusive

Yeah, sure, you proved all scandals receive equal reporting by the media how, exactly?

All you have proven is you are willing to repeat any argument for as long as it takes for the other guy to give up and move on. And that you don’t have much of a life outside this blog.

Posted by Yellow105 | Report as abusive

Yellow.

I did not say “equal” in my last post to you. Go back and look for yourself. I only said both sides, republican and democrat, have scandals reported by the media.

Is that all you have? Please tell me you have something to contribute to the debate.

Spending all your time telling me I am wrong but providing nothing, proves you really are not capable of discussing anything of substance.

And with that, you have the last word.

Posted by TyC | Report as abusive

Let me clear this up for you guys.

I posted this-

TC’s “substantive debate”-
You make stuff up, you are wrong, You are an empty vessel without a soul, I only said both sides, republican and democrat, have scandals reported by the media.

That’s it. No actual data, mind you, it’s just his opinion, but he’s entitled to it.

TC and I agree that people in power take advantage, no matter what their political stripe. Where we differ is that people of one political stripe claim the mantle of moral superiority, and spend a lot of their time telling the rest of us how to live our lives.

The other area where we differ, apparently, is whether the commercial media spends more time detailing the embarrassing screwups of Republicans or of Democrats. I have given the proof. TC has given his opinion. End of story.

Posted by getplaning | Report as abusive

Not so fast getplaning. You don’t moderate anything.

I completely understand your moral issue because you want to pin the republicans as being worse than the virtuous democrats.

In addition, the democrats do their share of telling us how to live our lives. Health care is one of those issues, they want to force everyone to have health care. But that’s another story for another time…..

The family values message is just that, a message, you are free to live as you please anyway. No one is forcing you to do otherwise, if you live in the United States.

There are bad apples in the republican party and there are bad apples in the democrat party. It is not relevant to the discussion to show these people for who they are. They are all guilty of sins and were not elected to commit crimes against minors or to purchase sex from prostitutes and so on. Doesn’t matter what the message the message is. It really doesn’t.

I have given proof that the media has hounded on republicans relentlessly and those republicans have resigned. Apparently you didn’t read my previous post outlining those inconvenient facts.

You are an interesting fellow. Even when given proof, you turn around and call it opinion. hmmm…okay…

We will always disagree because you do not debate in an open and honest manner. Your opinions are not fact. Oh, better yet, you only give a partial story, so in essence you not telling the truth. Whereas, I give the full and factual picture showing that there are no saints anywhere.

But in the end, as I outlined in an earlier post, the democrats have 24 sordid tales and the republicans have 23.

You are right, we won’t agree it is worse for the family values republican than the pedophile democrat. And it looks like the majority of Americans agree with me.

Look at the media today and it looks like it is a blood bath for the obscure Edwards and Massa. But just a few years ago, the media hounded on Foley, Livingston and West. That is not opinion, that is fact.

I always provide a factual and full analysis, while you only concentrate on those evil republicans.

Now, end of story. You can move on now…

Posted by TyC | Report as abusive

Wow, a whole 3 people control the whole conversation.
Mo wonder nobody wants to add comments and it gets taken over by people who cannot not tolerate anothers comments.
These are just peoples opinions. it’s not written in stone. lighten up.
All these politicans are hypocrites, and she booted out after two years, no matter who they are.
Happy St. Patrick’s Day

Posted by osito3 | Report as abusive

ok its obvious my spelling is being sabotaged.

Posted by osito3 | Report as abusive