Tales from the Trail

It’s all in the timing… Republican steals limelight from Democrat

May 18, 2010

For once Democrats can be thankful that a Republican stole the spotlight on primary day.

CONGRESS RAIDTuesday began with a focus on Richard Blumenthal, the Connecticut Democrat running for the Senate, amid questions about his military record during the Vietnam War. But it quickly shifted mid-morning on news that Republican Congressman Mark Souder was resigning over an affair with a female aide.

Souder, a self-proclaimed “evangelical Christian” and an advocate of abstinence in sexual education, issued a statement in which he said he was “renewing my walk with my Lord.”

In college Souder often wore a button that said “I’m proud to be a square.” (That was long before the song “Hip to Be Square,” and with the number of sex scandals that keep erupting on Capitol Hill, perhaps fallen is the new square.)

Souder’s congressional seat in Indiana is considered safely Republican, but the party has to produce a candidate.

The Connecticut Senate seat being vacated by Democrat Christopher Dodd, however, could end up in Republican hands in the November election if the Blumenthal revelations harm his campaign.

Click here for more Reuters politics news.

Photo credit: Reuters/Jonathan Ernst (Capitol dome)

Comments
8 comments so far | RSS Comments RSS

So the GOP message is “don’t do the things I do but don’t want to let you know I do”, eh?

Posted by borisjimbo | Report as abusive

Yeah, the democrat message is the same ” don’t do the things I do but don’t want to let you know I do”…..

Posted by TyC | Report as abusive

I thought you only commented on the article at hand?

Posted by Yellow105 | Report as abusive

Both issues (lying & cheating)go hand in hand. Neither justifies or lessens the other. Blumenthal and Souder are liers and cheats.

For some of us (perhaps not all politicians or all the media), honesty is important. It says much about us. It’s a window into our souls. Without honesty we cannot have character. If I were from Connecticut I wouldn’t vote for Blumenthal.

Mark Souder is resigning, as he should.

“They that danced must pay the fiddler”. Now, they must pay the fiddler. Neither deserves the publics trust.

Posted by Avatar666 | Report as abusive

“Yeah, that tactic worked real well with John Edwards, didn’t it? Or how about Bill Clinton? Or Senator Chuck Robb?”

How about adding Newt Gingrich to the list? Turned out that he had mistress at the time he lead crusade to impeach Clinton. As for the ““evangelical Christian” and an advocate of abstinence in sexual education” above, too bad, just say no would have made him a hero in the republican part of the Congress!

Posted by frank654 | Report as abusive

frank654.

Okay yeah, add Newt Gingrich. My point was to point out the folly of someone else making it appear the republicans are the only ones who play that game.

Isn’t true and you and I proved it.

Posted by TyC | Report as abusive

Republicans are the only ones who make videos about abstinence….with their mistresses….

And then blame having to resign over their infidelities on the “poisonous atmosphere in Washington.”

Party of personal responsibility, yeah, right.

Posted by Yellow105 | Report as abusive

Whatever yellow.

So I guess that gives a free pass to the progressives like you.

What’s right is right, what’s wrong is wrong.

You can spin it by party line if you want to. Either way, it is wrong.

Posted by TyC | Report as abusive