Tales from the Trail

Palin for President? Someone’s gotta do it

October 28, 2010

It’s a tough job, but someone’s got to do it. And if no one else wants to do it, Sarah Palin says she would step in.

The former Republican vice presidential candidate, who has been stirring the pot this year with her backing for Tea Party candidates for the midterm elections, has been hard to pin down on whether she plans to run for president in 2012. Well, until now.

In an exclusive interview with Entertainment Tonight, to air tonight, Palin let the moose out of the bag.

ET’s Mary Hart asked her bluntly: “Are you going to run for president?”

USA/Palin began her response with what would be expected at this stage of the political cycle: “You know I have not decided what I’m going to do in 2012. I don’t think any of the potential candidates have. I think that still it is too early for anybody to get out there declaring what their intentions are.”

Then she added some caveats and conditions to provide a glimpse of her thought process on THE QUESTION, saying her decision would entail a family discussion and “a real close look at the lay of the land and to consider whether there are those with that common sense, conservative, pro-Constitution passion, whether there are already candidates out there who can do the job, and I”ll get to be their biggest supporter, and their biggest helpmate, if they will have me. Or whether there is nobody willing to do it, to make the tough choices and not care what the critics are going to say about you, just going forward according to what I believe the priorities should be.”

And then came Palin’s big finale: “If there’s nobody else to do it, then of course I would believe that we should do this.”

It may come down to the definition of “nobody,” because there is expected to be a robust field of Republican candidates for the next presidential race vying to take on Democrat Barack Obama.

And some Republicans  will have reservations about Palin’s suitability for the White House. For instance, Karl Rove, a former adviser to President George W. Bush and Republican strategist, said the public had high standards for the presidency and  required “a certain level of gravitas,” according to an interview with The Daily Telegraph.

“With all due candour, appearing on your own reality show on the Discovery Channel, I am not certain how that fits in the American calculus of ‘that helps me see you in the Oval Office’,” Rove told the British newspaper.

Photo credit: Reuters/Scott Audette (Palin at a fundraising rally in Florida, Oct. 23)

Comments
20 comments so far | RSS Comments RSS

palin is a bafoon. o’donnel is a bafoon. paling is a completly ignorant when it comes to politics. yes she has coaches and tutors to get her up to speed on the last 100 years of World History, but route memorization does not give one insight.

If you want to see America go down the toilet faster than it is now, vote for palin.

Posted by johnsroberts | Report as abusive

If Palin is elected President, I will leave the United States of America. American’s can’t be dumb enough to elect her President. She quit as gov of Alaska for crying out loud. She speaks like a retard and doesn’t sound like she has common sense. Talking about Americans won’t allow Sharia Law to be law of the land when it is not possible constitutionally. She should not even go past the Republican primaries.

Posted by eopeter | Report as abusive

I cannot imagine a woman with messy domestic affairs would be able to lead this country. Palin sacked her subordinate in public office for not being co-operative; brought up a pre-marital pregnant daughter; and once referred Africa as a country not continent. If no one else do it, I think my wife would be better qualified. At least she earned a degree in geography, and our unmarried daughter never got pregnant by accident.

Posted by leungsite | Report as abusive

Why not Ms.Palin for ..US Presidency.??

She has the raw American spirit, the will to do
and unabated quest to dare..
Inexperience or the lack of a ‘president image’
do not matter.
She will do well & make the first woman president
of US.

Posted by SudharsanaDoss | Report as abusive

Despite all the slagging Sarah Palin has taken, I still like her. The mainstream media will never take her seriously, but who cares?

Republicans better take her seriously, though; check out James Pethokoukis elsewhere on this site.

Posted by Gotthardbahn | Report as abusive

Under current conditions (her personal and US) she’ll will not become US president, she doesn’t carry the knowledge or charistma to win. If her goal is to become President of United States, I think it will be good idea to go back to Alaska and become governer for another term and gain popularity as a good leader.

She has not proved to be a good leader or shown the global knowledge to be the leader of most powerful nation on earth.

Posted by neozeon | Report as abusive

I think we’d be better off electing a chimp with a magic 8 ball to run the country than having Palin in control of anything.

Posted by simplyamazed | Report as abusive

How about Lindsay Lohan or Paris Hilton?

Either would bring the same glitz with lack of clue that Sarah Palin would bring to the office.

Posted by EricLKlein | Report as abusive

I was not a “fan” of Sarah Palin for quite sometime..until I researched everything I could about her to understand why so many people backed her.
She is actually far more intelligent than people give her credit for being.
As a parent, I would never turn away from my daughter in such a situation…and believe me, there are plenty of other politicians with the same skeletons in their family closets..only they never had it made public. I laud her for her support of her daughter’s situation…and she never let abortion be an option. Just because one’s own child hasn’t made that mistake..does not mean that it could not happen in the future…everyone of us makes mistakes and errors in judgement..we are human!! It’s by God that we all will be judged..not by one another as none of us in this world are sin-free & worthy to “cast the first stone”.
There was more to the “sacking” of her subordinate than “unco-opertiveness”. Just as there was more to her “sudden departure” from her position as governor.
Would your wife win if she stood up to such corporations as Exxon and win? I have found by reading and researching Mrs Palin that she is more complex and savvy than she is portrayed in the media…sdaly, I find it is true that too many people perceive her thru the Saturday Night Live idiosy….or a boy who wants to cash in on his personal relationship with her family and has been proven to have lied about many things.
In all, her family is at least more like those of us who struggle to get somewhere or be someone in this country. They are down-to-earth..they’ve had the same struggles, same heartaches, and all like everyother “common” person in this country.
As for referring to Africa as a “country…I have heard the same error by people who are paid to educate our children!! AND gave credit on tests for it being correct! (I went back to college at 49 1/2 yrs old…and it appalled me at some of the instructors that teach in colleges let alone our public schools. Yet these teachers & instructors are never corrected or admonished for their fauz pas!) This is not giving our children the best education possible…it’s sitting at a desk just collecting a pay check until the work day is over.
I don’t vote for or support anyone in public office of any kind…local, state or federal.. until I do my own research…I do not allow the media , other politicians, friends, or family make my decisions…I still vote by the best method possible…using my own brain rather letting others use it for me. Their records speak for themselves in more ways than one.
I do not affiliate myself with either the Democrats or Republicans…I vote for who my research has proven to be the better choice to represent the country as a whole…because I am not the only one who will be affected by the vote I cast.
So, if Mrs. Palin chooses to run for the presidency, I will give her serious thought until my research provides another answer.

Posted by mamaw707 | Report as abusive

If the Tea Party pushes Palin through the primaries, I am voting Obama out of spite. I have voted Republican/Libertarian all my life, but the Tea Party may be the last straw for me. Does the religous right not understand that you can have all the religion and morals you want in your own house, and your own church, and not have to force it down everyone else’s throat by government laws and enforcement? They act like they want to protect the constitution and do what are founding fathers would have done. Well one of their main tennants was to protect the rest of the people from a religious government and forced morals from the government. Prohibition would sicken the founding fathers.

Posted by Trooth | Report as abusive

Palin as President will be America’s greatest disaster. Just imagine a woman like this with access to America’s nuclear arsenal.

Posted by KyuuAL | Report as abusive

YES!! Run, Sarah, run! Debates with her in it would be pure hilarity.

Posted by stonedpeace | Report as abusive

@ericLKlein

Please, don’t insult the intelligence of those two by comparing them to SP. They may be tabloid fodder, but something tells me that even those two could do a better job running the country than that hill billy idiot.

@Trooth

Bravo, for recognizing that a true conservative believes in FREEDOM from religion, not forced subjugation to the morals of a select few. Our constitution is a fine document, and is intended to protect us from fanatical theocrats like Ms. Palin. As ineffective as Barack Obama has been, he at least commands the respect of people overseas; with a Sarah Palin in office, we’d squander what little support we have in the world.

Posted by kane4 | Report as abusive

She is a joke. Repubs won’t run her because they know a simple fact. No man is ever going to vote a woman into office.

Posted by Blahya24201 | Report as abusive

She is a quitter.

Posted by osito3 | Report as abusive

what next maybe bugs bunny in the oval office
that’s all folks

the republicans are nuts to think that sarah is a viable or suitable candidate or maybe they think america should get the nominee they deserve.

Posted by thoma | Report as abusive

I hope she does run. That would ensure a democrat win.

Posted by pessimist88 | Report as abusive

I don’t care if it’s 2012 and “there’s nobody else to do it”. I still wouldn’t vote for Sarah Barracuda. Let her do reality TV all she wants. She and her family circus are far too surreal to be elevated to First Family status.

Posted by wltrwt | Report as abusive

After reading the pithy comments above, save for mamaw707, you all are nuts! Most of you cannot spell, your drivel makes no sense, you are sexist, out of touch with reality!

I have lived in Alaska, that in, and of itself is a challenge to survive there, much-less thrive. When Sarah Palin’s name was introduced to us two years ago, I called a classmate in Anchorage to find out what she knew of her? She said she did not know her personally, but she had a good reputation as Governor, and when she was nominated for V-P, Alaskan’s wept joyfully for her nomination. Grown men cried openly in the Streets, out sheer pride. They know Sarah, they know of her courage, her gumption, her wisdom, and many more things the lower 48 does not know about her.
Upon her nomination, She was savaged by the Liberal Media, they thought they were shooting “Ducks in a Barrel”; little did they know she is a formidable foe. She knew better than to lash out at the morons like Katie Couric – now there is a woman whom is definitely a ditz!

Sarah, has looks, brains, vigor, integrity, and stick-to-it-ness! She was wise to bag the Governor’s position when it was evident they would do nothing but tarnish the office of the Governor, eat up precious hours with lawsuits, undermine her energy, waste money, and attempt to assassinate her reputation. I bet she is a good Chess player!
The problem with most people is they were raised on the East Coast, they don’t know how to think positively. They are hateful, always looking for a fight, or trying to prove someone else is wrong, so that they can feel superior! I see it all the time… Ignorance is their creed, blissful ignorance. They are very judgmental, lack prudence, and couldn’t tell you a skunk from a raccoon.
Talk about making errors, Obama mentioned the “57 States” not once but many times in his stump for President. No one corrected him! If he did not have a “Teleprompter” we would see what a loser he really is! I bet his grades in College, or even High School were less than sterling!

Why is it men feel so frightened of the idea a woman could run the Presidential office; doing a far better job than what is currently occurring?

As for those people threatening to leave, GO! Let me help you pack, don’t come back, we don’t need you here in this Country. Try Cuba, North Korea, or the Middle East!
You will learn what a great country we have, how little you appreciate it! I bet you even think Joy Behar is a Genius! She is Another East Coast Moron! Anyone, throwing insults at Sarah, or her family, is living in denial. No one out there has a perfect family, many of the above contributers probably have some real winners in their familial closet!
“It is NOT what happens to you, but how you REACT to it that matters! – Epictetus
SO GROW UP!
Trudith

Posted by Trudith | Report as abusive

So the problem with most people is they were raised on the East Coast, and ignorance is their creed, blissful ignorance? They couldn’t tell you a skunk from a raccoon?

Sarah Palin can’t even tell North Korea from South Korea. Here’s what she said on her appearance on Fox News host Glenn Beck’s radio show today.

CO-HOST: “How would you handle a situation like the one that just developed in North Korea?”

PALIN: “But obviously, we’ve got to stand with our North Korean allies. We’re bound to by treaty –”

Maybe we should leave the big decisions to the East Coast Morons, just to be safe. It would be a pity to bomb South Korea out of blissful ignorance…

Posted by Yellow105 | Report as abusive