Tales from the Trail

At prayer breakfast, Obama calls Jesus “my Lord and Savior”

February 3, 2011

President Barack Obama made a clear declaration of his Christian faith on Thursday and seemed to express some frustration that his beliefs continue to be called into question.

OBAMA/“Let me tell you, these past two years, they have deepened my faith,” Obama told a ballroom full of applauding believers at the annual National Prayer Breakfast in Washington.

“The presidency has a funny way of making a person feel the need to pray.”

He detailed how, after a non-religious upbringing, he came to define himself as a Christian.

“A call rooted in faith is what led me, just a few years out of college, to sign up as a community organizer for a group of churches on the south side of Chicago,” he said.

“And it was through that experience, working with pastors and laypeople, trying to heal the wounds of hurting neighborhoods, that I came to know Jesus Christ for myself and embrace him as my Lord and Savior.”

Obama joked that he prayed for patience while watching his children grow up.

“Lord, give me patience as I watch Malia go to her first dance, where there will be boys,” he said, referring to his oldest daughter, to laughter from the audience.

“Lord, have that skirt get longer as she travels to that dance.”

He said his faith sustained him when he could not do more to help Americans dealing with the rough economy.

But he also seemed to vent frustration that despite more than 20 years as a practicing Christian, people still question his religious persuasion.

Polls show many Americans believe Obama is a Muslim.

“My Christian faith then has been a sustaining force for me over these last few years, all the more so when Michelle and I hear our faith questioned from time to time,” he said.

“We are reminded that ultimately what matters is not what other people say about us, but whether we’re being true to our conscience and true to our God.”

Photo credit: Reuters/Kevin Lamarque (Obama speaks at National Prayer Breakfast)

Comments
9 comments so far | RSS Comments RSS

Nobody is more talented than the president to awaken the Lord. His commanding voice can pierce even the ears of the deaf and his prayers will be heard in the heavens.

Posted by morristhewise | Report as abusive

Thankful for a President who ponders things deeply and parses his thoughts carefully as he expresses himself. His words today about humility and ambiguity being balanced with strong (he said “core”) beliefs struck an especially deep chord in me. And yes, I’m glad he proclaims his salvation and reliance upon Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. I’m even more impressed that often he seems to reflect such beliefs in his actions.

Posted by shonkin57 | Report as abusive

I am a dyed-in-the-wool centrist but my comment is NOT about politics. It is so refreshing to hear a president express his true-heart feelings without the ACLU crying crocolile tears and moaning about separation of Church and State. They prob still will and Obama will and should take a NOYB stance since he was reflecting a personal point of view. Good going Mr Prez!!!!!

Posted by pianoman | Report as abusive

I for one do not believe this President is a real Christian. Christ said we must not harm children – he is pro choice.

The Apostle Paul said homosexuality is an abomination, who doesnt know Obama’s position on the gays.

Not even a president can escape the easy to understand admonition of Christ who said “And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?” Luke 6:46

Posted by RevMichael | Report as abusive

There are few real Christians living in America anyway. The more devout and pious they claim to be, the more unchristian their actions towards others are.

“I like your Christ, but I don’t like your Christians. They are so unkike your Christ.”– Ghandi

Posted by GetpIaning | Report as abusive

I do not see a Republican finalist not straddling the fence between what he believes and what the audience wants to hear. I voted for John McCain and Bob Dole. I think our current President, Barack Obama, believes he is a Christian. I do not agree with all of his beliefs, but I do believe he is not The Messiah or Anti-Christ, but just a man. I believe Barack Obama has become the best man for the job.

Posted by Kevin4Jesus | Report as abusive

Jesus’s words that Obama quoted were meant for the individual who has free will to give as they so chose. In that way it is a personal choice and one gives from the heart. Jesus did not mean to empower government to tax people and spend the money on programs politicians deem correct. Obama is misusing Jesus’s words to misguide people into believing God supports his plan and to give up ones individual rights.

Posted by maximotion | Report as abusive

Abortion, gay marriage, Israel. Praying that Obama will read God’s Word…and begin to actually obey. Actions speak much louder than words.

Posted by DHardt | Report as abusive

I also believe Obama is misusing and not correctly stating the words of God. I feel sorry for Obama, believing it is ok to misuse the words of God to try to misguide the American people. Obama was very wrong to state his opinion on TV, believing in Gays. Jesus came to save the lost, not use the lost to deceive others into voting for him. I don’t believe Obama is acting like a Christian, Obama’s actions speak much Louder, deceiving words said more often than truthful ones.

Posted by DanielJMcKim | Report as abusive