Obama has ‘better stuff’ to do than birth certificate ‘sideshows’
President Barack Obama tried to put the kibosh on birther speculation by releasing his Hawaiian birth certificate and calling questions about the authenticity of the document a distraction from bigger issues by “sideshows and carnival barkers.”
“We do not have time for this kind of silliness,” he said to reporters after the White House released a long-form copy of his birth certificate. Potential Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump stirred up the controversy in recent weeks by demanding Obama prove he was born in Hawaii, not Kenya.
“We’ve got better stuff to do. I’ve got better stuff to do,” Obama said. “We’ve got big problems to solve, and I’m confident we can solve them, but we’re going to have to focus on them, not on this.”
Here’s some of that “better stuff” Obama has on his plate:
- Gasoline prices that are over $4 a gallon in some parts of the United States
- Sell his plan to cut tax breaks for oil and gas companies
- Convince Congress to raise the debt ceiling before the U.S. hits its limit, likely in mid-May
- Shake-up his national security advisers
- Juggle wars and ongoing protests in the Middle East
- Negotiate a 2012 budget that both creates jobs and cuts spending
- Run for re-election
Probably a good thing he isn’t going to the royal wedding.
Photo credit: Reuters/Mike Segar (fire breathing at the Coney Island Sideshow school, April 10, 2008)