Tales from the Trail

“Birther” talk bubbles up again

October 24, 2011

The “birther” question rises again in a wide-ranging interview with Republican presidential candidate Rick Perry in  “Parade.”

The Texas governor dismissed the questioning of whether President Barack Obama is a native-born U.S. citizen as a “distractive issue” — after responding to several questions about the issue.

Asked whether he believes Obama was born in the USA, Perry said he had no reason to think otherwise. But the governor suggested he was not certain about the birth certificate released by Obama.

“Well, I don’t have a definitive answer, because he’s never seen my birth certificate,” Perry said.

But you’ve seen his, the interviewer said. “I don’t know. Have I?” Perry asks.

Perry said the birth certificate came up at his meeting last month with Donald Trump and  that the real estate mogul and TV reality show host  doesn’t think it’s real.

“I don’t have any idea. It doesn’t matter,” Perry said. “He’s (Obama) the president of the United States. He’s elected. It’s a distractive issue.”

Trump took up the birther banner and ran with it while he considered whether to join the field of Republicans vying for the nomination to challenge Obama in 2012.  Trump decided to sit this one out.

So is  Trump  going to support Perry’s  candidacy?

“You’ll have to ask him, but I’d certainly like to have the Donald’s support,”  Perry said in the interview. “He is a job-creating machine, and that’s what I’m all about.”

said he had no reason to think otherwise. But the governor said he a didn’t have a definitive answer
Comments
11 comments so far | RSS Comments RSS

why do the Repukes make a trip to see Donald Trump? Trump is a bankrutpcy using leach….and ignorant. Daddy had the goods, not the son…..Donald should shave his head, and his brain and join Sad Sarah in the dump heap….

Posted by chgoguy88 | Report as abusive

Posted by chgoguy88 | Report as abusive

Wow! the insanity just never ends with the right does it?

Posted by USAPragmatist | Report as abusive

This isnt surprising, when lacking substance stick with lies and pander to the ignorant. It seems Perry would be the chosen one for the crowd that spewed and believed this nonsense.

Posted by fromthecenter | Report as abusive

Seems that Perry is being baited here by reporters who would love to revive the “birther” idiocy. But Perry’s admiration of Trump is deeply troubling. Talk about financial irresponsibility.

Posted by chairsandtables | Report as abusive

Hear me now and believe me later: GOP dirty tricks squad is poised to push Perry out of his closet in order to stop the insanity.

Posted by Quatermass | Report as abusive

Posted by Quatermass | Report as abusive

Mr Obama should have been more forthright from the very beginning of this issue. His and his handlers delay in resolving the issue and their lack of transparency have caused the conspiricists to make this an ongoing issue, when it could have been totally put to rest.

Posted by zotdoc | Report as abusive

What a bunch of morons the birthers are. President Obama is the first and only President who has ever had to produce a birth certificate, yet they persist with their stupidity.

The President has released not only the short form (which by the way is the only one I have) but also the long form.

Does this mean that even though I was born in South Dakota to American Citizen parents that I am not a citizen?

Perhaps if the Republican had any substance they would not have stone walled the President for the last 2 years while he has tried to repair the damage to our country’s reputation and economy. But what do you expect from a Party that embraces the ignorance of their media darlings.

Posted by Robert76 | Report as abusive

The Republicans running for the presidency in my opinion are all Whack Jobs. I wouldn’t vote for them if they were running for school crossing guards. In all my “voting” life, I’ve never seen such sorry looking candidates. What frightens me most are the folks that want one these a– holes in the White House. On second thought maybe they can be given jobs like washing floors, doing laundry,etc.
God help us if one of them is elected.

Posted by hwf1934 | Report as abusive

Mr. Trump I’m convinced has a double digit IQ and doesn’t even have the common sense to get a decent toupee. He certainly can afford one.In my opinion his stupid freaking hairdo reflects his intelligence.
He certainly doesn’t have any where near the smarts that his father had.
Yes he’s really lucky his father came first. If Donald was born into a poor or even a middle class family, he most likely would have some simple 9 to 5 job like an office mail clerk, or a Walmart stock boy,etc.

Posted by hwf1934 | Report as abusive