Perry does Letterman’s “Top Ten” excuses for gaffe
Texas Governor Rick Perry wrapped up his apology, explanation, damage control (take your pick) tour where it started — on TV with an appearance on David Letterman’s “Late Show.”
Instead of sitting in the guest seat, the Republican presidential hopeful stood center stage presenting the “Top Ten Rick Perry Excuses” for an embarrassing 53-second brain freeze live on national TV at the Michigan debate.
Here’s the Top Ten in Reverse Order:
- 10 “Actually there were 3 reasons I messed up last night 1) was the nerves and 2) was the headache and 3) uh, uh.”
- 9 “I don’t know what you’re talking about I think things went well.”
- 8 “I was up late last night watching ‘Dancing With the Stars’ “
- 7 “I thought the debate was tonight”
- 6 “Hey listen, you try concentrating with Mitt Romney smiling at you. That is one handsome dude!”
- 5 “Uhhhh, El Nino”
- 4 “I had a five-hour energy drink six hours before the debate.”
- 3 “You know I really hoped it would get me on my favorite talk show but instead I ended up here.”
- 2 “I wanted to help take the heat off my buddy Herman Cain.”
- 1 ” I just learned Justin Beiber is my father.”
Anyone tuning in for another Perry moment would have been disappointed. The Late Night performance went well. His delivery, facial expressions and hand gestures were just right — not too stiff, not too overdone.
Perry was at a loss for words Wednesday night when he tried to present his own Top Three list of government agencies he’d cut if he becomes president. The governor was done in by three words: “Department of Energy.”
Perry’s Thursday TV tour began on the morning talk shows, where he chalked up his memory lapse to human error.
Photo Credits: REUTERS/Jim Young (Perry waves at Republican dinner in Iowa) REUTERS/Mark Blinch (Perry, Huntsman and Paul at Michigan debate)