Gingrich camp heads off ex-wife interview
The Gingrich campaign launched a preemptive strike as news spread that ABC plans to broadcast a potentially damaging interview with Newt Gingrich’s second ex-wife on Thursday — just two days before Saturday’s crucial South Carolina primary.
Gingrich’s daughters (from his first marriage) Kathy Lubbers and Jackie Cushman came to their father’s defense in a letter released by his presidential campaign.
“The failure of a marriage is a terrible and emotional experience for everyone involved. Anyone who has had that experience understands it is a personal tragedy filled with regrets, and sometimes differing memories of events,” the daughters said in the letter addressed to ABC News Leadership.
“We will not say anything negative about our father’s ex-wife. He has said before, privately and publicly, that he regrets any pain he may have caused in the past to people he loves,” the letter said.
The daughters also said the former House Speaker intends to stay on message, suggesting one thing he will not be talking about in South Carolina is the ABC interview.
“ABC News or other campaigns may want to talk about the past, just days before an important primary election. But Newt is going to talk to the people of South Carolina about the future… We are confident this is the conversation the people of South Carolina are interested in having,” they said.
Gingrich, who’s married, has been divorced twice and admitted to cheating on his first two wives, including while he led the charge to impeach former President Bill Clinton for the Monica Lewinsky affair.
Gingrich addressed the issue earlier in the campaign. A renewed spotlight on his past domestic troubles could not have come at a worse time.
Gingrich has been giving Republican front-runner Mitt Romney a run for his money in South Carolina, gaining on the former Massachusetts governor in polls and drawing enthusiastic crowds at campaign events.
Photo Credit: Eric Thayer (Gingrich at campaign stop in Winnsboro, SC)