Tales from the Trail

Non-retired Baby Boomers anxious about more than jobs

August 8, 2012

The Baby Boomers have come a long way from Flower Power. Retirement savings, Social Security and Medicare are weighing heavily on their minds this election season, even if they are still in the workforce.

The AARP surveyed Americans aged 50-64 who are still working, and found that they share younger voters’ worries about the economy ahead of the Nov. 6 election, but their economic concerns extend well beyond jobs. These members of the “Baby Boom” generation worry about rising prices, healthcare costs, financial security when they retire and taxes.

“We know the issue of jobs is very important to voters age 50-plus, but any meaningful discussion of the economy and this year’s election has to include the future of Social Security and Medicare,” Nancy LeaMond, executive vice president of the 37 million-member AARP, said in a statement. “For these voters, ‘retirement security’ and ‘economic security’ are largely the same thing,” she said.

The AARP released an “Anxiety Index” showing that 75 percent of voters age 50-64 who are still working worry somewhat or very often about whether prices will rise more quickly than their incomes, 62 percent worry about health expenses and 71 percent are concerned they pay too much in taxes.

The anxieties are leading to unhappiness with political leaders – 49 percent do not approve of President Barack Obama’s job performance and a full 81 percent do not approve of Congress. They are evenly divided on the question of who should win the White House – with 45 percent supporting Obama, 45 percent backing his Republican rival, Mitt Romney, and another 10 percent not sure.

The Boomers have also come a long, long way from the days of “Don’t trust anyone over 30.” Nine out of 10 of those surveyed said that the next president and Congress must strengthen Social Security and Medicare.

Picture credit: REUTERS/David McNew

Comments
13 comments so far | RSS Comments RSS

no need to worry Baby Boomers – Obama’s on his last term

Posted by justinolcb | Report as abusive

Boomers have something more to worry about beyond Medicare, Social Security, and the economy:
Unlawful and abusive guardianships and conservatorships of the vulnerable elderly, all across the country, which will separate them from their assets and their families.
See

Posted by LoriDuboys | Report as abusive

For anyone interested in the alternatives, please visit our site Fix Social Security Now.

http://www.fixssnow.org/contentdetails_A lternatives_6.aspx

Posted by FixSSNow | Report as abusive

well, if any of you (and i am one also) vote for mitt and paul…you are going to almost in all likelihood destroy your retirement, medicare and give it all to the people that dont need it…the rich…..think about it before you go into the voting booth. the right does not have your interests at all….they only want to reward their rich/wall st/billionaire buddies.

think about this, no smart businessman invests hundreds of millions of dollars to not get his “investment” back. the investment is that mitt and company will give them all they want….in the case of the casino guy…he will get out of jail free card.

Posted by hobbesjd | Report as abusive

I dont know how any of the middle class boomers could vote for gordon gekko and his new sidekick. There are bettter ways to fix medicare then to hand out a freakin voucher that wont pay for a prescription.

Posted by fromthecenter | Report as abusive

Posted by fromthecenter | Report as abusive

To anyone over 40 years old: Welcome to globalization, people. I work in HR at a very large company and I can tell you that anyone over 40 years old just isn’t wanted anymore. Unless you’re already CEO (and you had your chance to get there — welcome to competition too, people). Over 40s are generally overpaid, slow, usually fat, smoke, sometimes bald, need workplace cordiality (instead of just getting to the point and being cutthroat competitive) and cost way too much in terms of having to support their children in terms of healthcare and time (e.g., going to their kids’ school activities instead of working). Romney will change all of it and you are in for a rude awakening: pack up your bags and put your pictures of the family in a cardboard box because I can replace anyone of you over-40-somethings at 10% of your cost (e.g., I can get a 29 year old PHD in Indian for $10,000 per year; not $100,000 per year) and they will work 16 hours a day with no healthcare and they will not complain one bit about “bad working conditions” or a lunch break. Romney and Ryan are coming and we’re going to speed up foreclosures to clear the market so get packing, people. Thank you for listening and hope you pay attention to my good advice here.

Posted by joelrain | Report as abusive

Posted by joelrain | Report as abusive

Posted by joelrain | Report as abusive

Posted by joelrain | Report as abusive

Posted by joelrain | Report as abusive

yeh, we got the satire in your first post.

Posted by pensieroso | Report as abusive

Hi! I know this is kinda off topic nevertheless I’d figured I’d ask. Would you be interested in trading links or maybe guest writing a blog article or vice-versa? My website covers a lot of the same subjects as yours and I feel we could greatly benefit from each other. If you might be interested feel free to send me an e-mail. I look forward to hearing from you! Awesome blog by the way!