Trump wants CNN to donate debate ad revenue to veterans

September 9, 2015

Donald Trump, the New York businessman and reality TV personality who is running for president, made it clear this week he isn’t afraid to tell other people what to do with their money.

The Republican presidential front-runner made a modest proposal to CNN’s president Jeff Zucker this week: He wants Zucker to donate the proceeds of the ads CNN sells around its Sept. 16 Republican primary debate to “various VETERANs groups,” as he put it in a letter Tuesday, “a list of which I will send to you in the near future.”

In the letter, Trump pointed out that the first Republican debate, which Fox News hosted on Aug. 6, “had one of the largest audiences in the history of cable television.” A full 24 million people tuned in, making it the highest rated primary debate in history, Neilsen data showed.

“You should view the second debate broadcast as a public service and not accept the massive profits that this airing will generate,” Trump wrote to Zucker.

A spokeswoman for CNN did not respond to requests for comment on Wednesday. There was no indication that Zucker was preparing to comply with Trump’s request.

Trump’s next step? A campaign source who did not want to be identified said Trump would send a list with specific veterans charities once Zucker agreed to the plan. And if he refused?

“Hopefully they will say yes to help our vets,” the source said.

 

No comments so far

We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Reuters. For more information on our comment policy, see http://blogs.reuters.com/fulldisclosure/2010/09/27/toward-a-more-thoughtful-conversation-on-stories/