Poorly educated? Unsuccessful? Trump is your man

March 30, 2016

“I love the poorly educated,” Donald Trump famously said once.

Now, the Republican presidential front-runner apparently has another favorite group: the unsuccessful.

“When you become very successful, the people that you will like best are the people that are less successful than you,” Trump told a rally in De Pere, Wisconsin. “Because when you go to a table you can tell them all these wonderful stories and they will sit back and listen.

“Does that make sense to you? Always be around unsuccessful people because everybody will respect you. Do you understand that?”

The New York real estate mogul, who has amassed a wide delegate lead in the race for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination, has fared well among poorer white male voters without a college degree.

After winning the Nevada Republican primary in February by a wide margin, the brash billionaire rattled off a list of those groups who swept him to victory: “We won with young. We won with old. We won with highly educated. We won with poorly educated. I love the poorly educated.”

The last line stuck, being tweeted roughly 15 times a minute, according to social media analytics firm Zoomph.

He probably likes those who misspeak now, or who have to row back their comments, since he also has a lot of stories about that to tell.

Posted by Dehumanist | Report as abusive

Many people with advanced college degrees love Trump. We’re sick of political correctness, feminism, needless bad relations with Russia, etc. Yes, NATO is obsolete – the Berlin Wall is down, no more NATO needed! We like that Trump speaks his mind unlike phony, smug establishment politicians. Thank you.

Posted by Fillanthropy | Report as abusive

Hmmm,,, I guess on the other hand, if you are unemployed, in college with mommy paying the bills, on food stamps or just selling drugs on the corner, I guess you are a Clinton supporter.

Posted by BottleBob | Report as abusive

This is nonsense…..I am highly educated (grad degree @ MIT) and rather successful ( written & published 8 books in 10 years) and my friends are as well…we’re all TRUMP 2016!!

Posted by tinking | Report as abusive

Nonsense….Trump is making sense to lots of educated folks (‘got an MIT grad degee myself) – lots of ‘educated’ friends are supporting Trump – they are tired of the lack of transparency & duplicity in the current Administration. TRUMP 2016!!

Posted by tinking | Report as abusive

I am educated, informed, and successful in both personal finances and life. I am a long-time registered Republican.

While Trump has his faults, I support him over the other candidates. I cannot stomach Hillary; Bernie makes his points, but his economics are not sustainable; the other GOP primary candidates beyond Cruz and Trump already have lost, and I have come to abhor Cruz, for so many reasons.

I refuse to vote for an “Establishment” anointed candidate, particularly one who has not gone through the primary process. I also intensely dislike the attitudes of both parties that voters don’t choose the candidates, but rather the party establishments do so.

For these reasons, I support Trump. Nearly all my friends are both educated to the graduate level and all are successful in life. Most of them either support Trump or at least are leaning that way. All with whom I have discussed politics are disgusted with the GOP and its establishment and very unhappy with the idea that they are fighting at every turn the will of their base.

The GOP arose upon the ashes of the Whig Party, which fell apart because of internal tension and was dissolved in 1854. Until then, the Whig Party was central to the Second Party System. The GOP establishment needs understand that nothing is permanent, change is constant, and that all things, both good and bad, eventually come to an end. I do believe that the GOP as a political force has run its course. They have fully succeeded in alienating their political base.

Posted by JonSEAZ | Report as abusive