Sunday, Dec. 30
* U.S. House of Representatives returns to work on legislation to avoid tax increases and spending cuts associated with the fiscal cliff that begin to kick in on Jan. 1.
Monday, Dec. 31
* U.S. government borrowing hits its debt ceiling, according to Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner.
Thursday, Jan. 3
* The 112th U.S. Congress adjourns. New Congress in session starting at noon ET.
Wednesday, Jan. 9
* State and local tax year end review. 12 noon – 2 p.m. ET, D.C. Bar Conference Center. Washington.
Thursday, Jan. 10
* Speakers from the U.S. Public Company Accounting Oversight Board, the International Accounting Standards Board, U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, and U.S. Financial Accounting Standards Board address New York Society of Security Analysts’ International Financial Reporting Conference. 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET, NYSSA Conference Center. New York City.
* SEC Office of the Whistleblower chief Sean McKessy joins D.C. Bar panel on the whistleblower initiative. K&L Gates, Washington. 12:30 p.m. – 2 p.m. ET.