UK News

Insights from the UK and beyond

Do you have a favourite Monty Python sketch?

October 5, 2009

Monty Python membersNothing was sacred to “Monty Python’s Flying Circus” — and that is probably why the comedy troupe’s television show became so popular.

The irreverent programme starringĀ  John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Terry Jones, Michael Palin andĀ Graham Chapman first aired 40 years ago in 1969.

Among Monty Python’s most popular TV skits are those that mock unworkable aspects of Britain’s authoritarian class structure, including its famously intractable rules, monumental political bureaucracy and befuddling misrepresentations.

After several seasons the show stopped airing in Britain, but played on in North American television re-runs.

Python members widened their scope in such Hollywood films as “Monty Python and the Holy Grail” and the controversial “Life of Brian,” considered blasphemous in some circles because of its comedic references to Jesus Christ.

Monty Python will receive a BAFTA at a special ceremony in New York on October 15 as a tribute to their contribution to British comedy.

Do you have a favourite Monty Python sketch?

Watch clips selected from the YouTube Monty Python channel and let us know.

Comments

Without a doubt, the funniest skit here is the Minstry of Silly Walks.

Posted by June | Report as abusive

The final scene of “The Crimson Permanent Assurance”, seems quite prophetic now: “One by one the financial capitals of the worlds crumbled under their business acumen… or so it would have been, if certain modern theories concerning the shape of the world had not proved to be disastrously wrong.”

Posted by Ian Kemmish | Report as abusive

The black night!

Posted by vj | Report as abusive

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

I really loved the special they did for Bavarian TV. I don’t know if the Pythons’ German is better than mine, but with what I remembered from school, and the scripts I knew, it was great to hear them all in German, especially singing “I’m a woodchopper and I’m OK”.

Posted by Sandra-Vancouver, Canada | Report as abusive

The Pet Shop sketch is my favorite! Lovely bird, the Norwegian Blue – beautiful plumage!

Posted by Jim | Report as abusive

the one when the housewife’s row across the channel to have Jean Paul Sartre…..Mrs. Premise and Mrs. Conclusion Visit Jean-Paul Sartre

Posted by dean kemp | Report as abusive

Spam, spam, spam, spam, wonderful spam!

Posted by Dewey | Report as abusive

I love the sketch of the guy looking to buy an argument..

Posted by fiscusd | Report as abusive

There are so many great, great sketches. The jungle restaurant sketch (with M. Palin in blackface) may be my favorite.

Posted by Roy Fairbank | Report as abusive

as a canadian the lumberjack song has always been close to my heart … but my favourite moment is the exchange with the French guys in The Holy Grail … “I told him we already got one.” “… and your mother smells of elderberries.” etc…

Posted by Canuckella | Report as abusive

You can’t go past the Argument sketch between Michael Palin & John Cleese from Episode 29. I’ve known it off by heart since I was 9 years old. Still makes me laugh! I mean ROFLOL – literally!

Posted by Fiona Cameron | Report as abusive

judean peoples front or the people’s front of judea! You decide!!!

” are there any women here?”

“right that’s it , next person to say Jehovah get’s stoned!!”

basically the entire “Life of Brian” film was by far their best work , moreso due to the controversial nature and the pathetic resposnes of the catholic church at the time!!! But as we all know “he’s not the messiah , he’s just a very naughty boy!!!!”

Posted by the enlightened one | Report as abusive

The best sketch by far is the one including the Eric the alf a bee song!!!!! Brilliant!

Posted by Bee | Report as abusive

I loved the entire series. MPFC gave me more gut busting laughs in that one 3 year series than I had in the rest of my life combined. I still get a chuckle just thinking about some of the sketches. But my favorite has to be the Dead Parrot sketch.

Posted by Paul | Report as abusive

“Fish-slapping dance”, with “Silly Walks” and “Bicycle Repair Man” tied for a close second. Even after so many decades, and so many viewings, they still make me laugh out loud!!!!

Posted by JDR | Report as abusive

Who could forget the Twit Olympics???? Jumping over a matchbox wall….removing a bra from a mannequin…I can still see me and my friends gathered around the TV roaring in laughter!

All of the above and more like:
Trying not to be seen…..the boxing match…..the comfy chair….all of the Holy Grail and Life of Brian
Its been years since the show was produced but it has left a mark so deep that it could very well be 100 years or more before the feat is repeated if its even possible
Im a yank and growing up we could’nt wait for pbs to show another episode

Posted by Terry | Report as abusive

NOT fair..there are sooo many… “it’s only a flesh wound,” “she’s a witch, burn her!” and “what is your favorite color” so many memories…thank you!!

Posted by Guinness | Report as abusive

There’s a penguin on the telly!!!

Posted by DAVID | Report as abusive

“Is there anything that any of you would rather be doing that marching up and down the square-ah!”

“Well, frankly I’d rather be home with the wife and kids!”

“Would you now?!!! Right! Off you go!”

Posted by i,robert | Report as abusive

Upper Class Twit of the Year!

“Cleese has humorously suggested that this one sketch is the reason why he never received a British honour, in particular a knighthood.”

(Source: citationless Wikipedia entry)

Posted by Nigel Incubator-Jones | Report as abusive